The General Car Thread

Funnily enough, I think the Ford "Mustang" EV looks a lot like the Tesla Model X so copying Tesla seems to be their MO now... ;)
Try taking another look with both eyes open this time. :)

@nilagin - in every single thread about cars you have a very heavy dislike of Tesla; it comes across as jealousy - why is it you are so anti their products?

@nilagin - in every single thread about cars you have a very heavy dislike of Tesla; it comes across as jealousy - why is it you are so anti their products?
I appreciate their performance but in terms of an actual car they are sadly lacking especially for the prices they command. Plus I dislike the way they go about things.
Like the recent Model S that caught fire whilst parked in a car park. Rolling up a software update for better battery management and has reduced the range availability isn't a fix. They should be recalling cars to make sure no others are showing signs of damage. If there are similarly damaged battery packs, they should be replaced as well as a software update.
There certainly isn't anything to be jealous of regarding Tesla as far as I am concerned.

I appreciate their performance but in terms of an actual car they are sadly lacking especially for the prices they command. Plus I dislike the way they go about things.
Like the recent Model S that caught fire whilst parked in a car park. Rolling up a software update for better battery management and has reduced the range availability isn't a fix. They should be recalling cars to make sure no others are showing signs of damage. If there are similarly damaged battery packs, they should be replaced as well as a software update.
There certainly isn't anything to be jealous of regarding Tesla as far as I am concerned.

I really do hope that this thread; like every thread you get involved in about cars doesn't turn into an anti Tesla thread - could you give it a miss for a change?

I really do hope that this thread; like every thread you get involved in about cars doesn't turn into an anti Tesla thread - could you give it a miss for a change?
But I am not anti Tesla.

Anyone else a big fan of Jay Leno's YouTube channel?

I really enjoy watching and find him a true car enthusiast that is very knowledgeable.

Funnily enough, I think the Ford "Mustang" EV looks a lot like the Tesla Model X so copying Tesla seems to be their MO now... ;)

We have a Mustang Mach e in our main foyer at work today, just got back from having a look although we weren't allowed to touch it or see inside other than peer through the windows, but it certainly doesn't look anything like a Tesla Model X. ( Not unless having a wheel at each corner counts ;) )

We have a Mustang Mach e in our main foyer at work today, just got back from having a look although we weren't allowed to touch it or see inside other than peer through the windows, but it certainly doesn't look anything like a Tesla Model X. ( Not unless having a wheel at each corner counts ;) )
They do look similar though.
charger-1@2_0.jpgford-mustang-mach-e-gt-live-image.jpg

And the Fraud looks nothing like a Mustang.

And the Fraud looks nothing like a Mustang.
When you look at the back end it does albeit higher and the headlamps and bonnet also do. You don't get the full impression of how it really looks in a photo. You need to see it in the metal.

Why do many Tesla drivers treat traffic lights like the start of a GP, I just catch up at the next set of lights, if evs are to save the environment why do a lost have high top speeds, isn’t sat 80mph enough, I’m thinking tortoise and hare.

Why do many Tesla drivers treat traffic lights like the start of a GP, I just catch up at the next set of lights, if evs are to save the environment why do a lost have high top speeds, isn’t sat 80mph enough, I’m thinking tortoise and hare.

All the ones I have come across which is probably an average of 1 a month seem to take forever leaving traffic lights even on the A406 London North Circular dual carriageway. They seem to crawl away from the lights and won't even drive at the 50mph speed limit, which is infuriating because it causes congestion as everyone queues up to overtake them

It might be because the performance & acceleration of a Tesla is so good. An electric motor produces it's maximum torque as soon as it turns making it far superior in performance to an ICE. The owners are probably enjoying this without all the complication of gear changes and sluggish starts.

Also, someone's got to get away first and if you're going to do it, do it properly! As Doug has pointed out, an EV has all its torque available from first prod rather than waiting for it to build in an ICE car or slipping/dumping the clutch at revs where there IS some available to them.

The slowest Tesla does 0-60 in 5 seconds or so. The glacial pulling away probably means it's on autopilot as that doesn't set off like a scalded cat.

The slowest Tesla does 0-60 in 5 seconds or so. The glacial pulling away probably means it's on autopilot as that doesn't set off like a scalded cat.
You don't have to pull away like a scalded cat. Just pulling away with decent acceleration is all that is necessary so you don't hold up the cars behind you especially at traffic lights.
All the EV and Hybrid drivers I seem to encounter just seem to hold up and prevent free flowing traffic.

I cannot say I have noticed any difference in EV vs ICE cars pulling away from lights, I do notice the Corsas with bean tin exhausts though......

I cannot say I have noticed any difference in EV vs ICE cars pulling away from lights, I do notice the Corsas with bean tin exhausts though......
I must attract them all. Probably bloody Uber drivers. ;)

Racing away to get to the back of the next queue is pointless. That actually causes congestion. You have to aim to be at the back of the next queue as it moves off so it smooths out the traffic flow.

Racing away to get to the back of the next queue is pointless. That actually causes congestion. You have to aim to be at the back of the next queue as it moves off so it smooths out the traffic flow.
Again, it isn't about racing away from the lights, it's about moving off at a respectable speed so the people behind can do likewise instead of just 2 cars making it through whilst everyone then has to wait for the next green light.
They also like to sit in the right hand lane at traffic lights and do it too.

Looks like the tesla sales team have been busy in california , a bit too busy :D

https://speedsociety.com/tesla-line-supercharger-stretches-mile-exposes/
Kind of backs up my argument from a few weeks ago about having fewer supercharged in one location, but having more locations spread around the country like other charger networks do.
I can't remember where I saw it but I did read the other day that Tesla has an insufficient service and repair network as well.

Today I actually saw my first Model 3. I think the driver was either confused or lost as they were pulling off a petrol garage forecourt and they were quite a few miles away from any charging stations. :)

Kind of backs up my argument from a few weeks ago about having fewer supercharged in one location, but having more locations spread around the country like other charger networks do.
I can't remember where I saw it but I did read the other day that Tesla has an insufficient service and repair network as well.

Today I actually saw my first Model 3. I think the driver was either confused or lost as they were pulling off a petrol garage forecourt and they were quite a few miles away from any charging stations. :)

wibble, wibble, wibble - yawn!

Last edited:
Their implementation of CarPlay and android play or whatever it’s called is poor at best anyway so no great loss.

I realise this post is fairly old but we have Carplay in our 2018 Mini Cooper S which is built off the iDrive and its spot on, the latest IOS 13 makes it even better as well. I just get in the car and it all works wirelessly. The screen is responsive and all the apps just work fine. Ours was before they started to charge the fee so its free for us and came with the base pack of the car so I didn't specifically pay extra for it.

I have also used it in a friends 2019 3 series and it seemed to work fine.

The downside of having wireless carplay though is that its going to be difficult not to have it once the Mini goes back in a couple of years :)

So, instead of waiting for a charge. You would prefer having charger anxiety: is the single unit being used? is it working? You would prefer to arrive and find the single charger is in the process of someone starting a charge, and you either wait 30min or having to limp to the next single charger that may or may not be working.

With many chargers in one location, the chances of having to wait 30min is greatly reduced, because chances of everyone arriving at the same time is very low. The chances of finding all chargers faulty is also much lower than chance of finding a single charger faulty (if failure rate of 1 charger is 2%, failure rate of 4 chargers is 0.000016%)

When during holidays, a temporary supercharger could be set-up: https://electrek.co/2019/11/29/tesla-mobile-supercharger-megapack/
I don't see VW's electrify America doing this for their customers........ I wonder if other car companies will do this during peak demand periods to ensure good end-user experience with their products. Or perhaps they just want to sell a few EV to meet their fleet regulations and continue to sell enabling products to poison everyone.

Last edited:

Care to give your actual reasons?
Because your dislike is clearly deeply routed before your April 2019 example.

Here are two of your 2018 unprompted posting of negatives targeted at Tesla, both of which had the thread bumped by you, both were at least a day from anyone replying to the thread, suggesting you specifically went back to the thread to share the FUD:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...hink-about-diesel.648283/page-21#post-8164721
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...hink-about-diesel.648283/page-44#post-8297218

Friendly note: Now that your company have finally joined the EV party. Be careful of what you say about EV vs ICE cars in the future. Because I'm sure I can find your anti-EV posts that will contradict your new take on EV. Whilst little else have changed over the period.

All the EV and Hybrid drivers I seem to encounter just seem to hold up and prevent free flowing traffic.
It's called confirmation bias https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

So, instead of waiting for a charge. You would prefer having charger anxiety: is the single unit being used? is it working? You would prefer to arrive and find the single charger is in the process of someone starting a charge, and you either wait 30min or having to limp to the next single charger that may or may not be working.

With many chargers in one location, the chances of having to wait 30min is greatly reduced, because chances of everyone arriving at the same time is very low. The chances of finding all chargers faulty is also much lower than chance of finding a single charger faulty (if failure rate of 1 charger is 2%, failure rate of 4 chargers is 0.000016%)

When during holidays, a temporary supercharger could be set-up: https://electrek.co/2019/11/29/tesla-mobile-supercharger-megapack/
I don't see VW's electrify America doing this for their customers........ I wonder if other car companies will do this during peak demand periods to ensure good end-user experience with their products. Or perhaps they just want to sell a few EV to meet their fleet regulations and continue to sell enabling products to poison everyone.
From what I have seen over the past few days, this is not a one off incident of queues of Teslas waiting to use the chargers. It has happened in several places. Only the first few people in those queues will be waiting 30 minutes for a charge. The fact they are all there together requiring a charge, I would say there is quite a bit of anxiety spread through that queue.
So Tesla now have temporary supercharger that now run off a battery pack rather than a diesel generator. I wonder how they get them to their temporary locations. With the ability to charge 100 cars, I wonder how long they last before the battery pack has to be replaced. I wonder how the replacement is delivered and the used battery pack is taken away. Why not just install more permanent charging stations?

From what I have seen over the past few days, this is not a one off incident of queues of Teslas waiting to use the chargers. It has happened in several places. Only the first few people in those queues will be waiting 30 minutes for a charge. The fact they are all there together requiring a charge, I would say there is quite a bit of anxiety spread through that queue.
So Tesla now have temporary supercharger that now run off a battery pack rather than a diesel generator. I wonder how they get them to their temporary locations. With the ability to charge 100 cars, I wonder how long they last before the battery pack has to be replaced. I wonder how the replacement is delivered and the used battery pack is taken away. Why not just install more permanent charging stations?
Ignoring your baseless FUD-fuelled "wonder"s...

Install permanent charging stations that end up only get used a few days a year is obviously not a good investment. The permanent locations may also exceed local supply and would require disproportionally expensive infrastructure upgrades.

In comparison to many chargers at a single location, here is my experience a few weeks ago with current single or twin UK public rapid charging infrasturcture:
1- Stop at a Plan A twin charger, 1 charger has frozen/unresponsive, the other was getting plugged in.
2- Drive to next junction and stop at plan B a single charger, it also happen to be just getting plugged in
3- Drive to plan C up the road, the charger is broken with black screen + error messages.
4- Drove back to plan B, waited 30min to get my very quick 15min charge.

Similarly, tomorrow is work Christmas meal. In order to get a (free) charge while I refuel myself, I'll need to drive the following route, because at each white dot, there's only 2 destination charging spaces. Ending in a car park, which also only had 2 charging spaces.

I know I would much prefer arriving at the car park and finding 10+ charging spaces rather than doing this merry-go-round.
1575546960831.png

No it's called speaking from experience. When you get some, you can do the same.
Then perhaps you will stop believing in all your silly little acronyms, buzzwords etc.
Knowledge is power. You should learn some.
This is the last witty reply, in line with your tune. Any further off-topic aggressive comments from you will be reported. I don't wish this thread to descend into name calling like the last thread(s!).

Ignoring your baseless FUD-fuelled "wonder"s...

Install permanent charging stations that end up only get used a few days a year is obviously not a good investment. The permanent locations may also exceed local supply and would require disproportionally expensive infrastructure upgrades.

In comparison to many chargers at a single location, here is my experience a few weeks ago with current single or twin UK public rapid charging infrasturcture:
1- Stop at a Plan A twin charger, 1 charger has frozen/unresponsive, the other was getting plugged in.
2- Drive to next junction and stop at plan B a single charger, it also happen to be just getting plugged in
3- Drive to plan C up the road, the charger is broken with black screen + error messages.
4- Drove back to plan B, waited 30min to get my very quick 15min charge.

Similarly, tomorrow is work Christmas meal. In order to get a (free) charge while I refuel myself, I'll need to drive the following route, because at each white dot, there's only 2 destination charging spaces. Ending in a car park, which also only had 2 charging spaces.

I know I would much prefer arriving at the car park and finding 10+ charging spaces rather than doing this merry-go-round.
View attachment 262129

Knowledge is power. You should learn some.
This is the last witty reply, in line with your tune. Any further off-topic aggressive comments from you will be reported. I don't wish this thread to descend into name calling like the last thread(s!).
So you would rather see Tesla's temporary supercharger brought out during the busy holiday periods. Perhaps you would like to explain why Tesla hadn't done just that? Two of the long queues happened last week on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, two very busy days for traffic in America apparently. You'd think an American company would know that and been prepared.
Now if they had more charging stations in more locations there wouldn't have been a problem. Also part of the problem was that because so many charging stations were being used in the one location, charging times were taking longer than normal. I maybe wrong, but I am fairly sure you said that didn't happen with Tesla's superchargers.

Where are these supposed aggressive comments?

So you would rather see Tesla's temporary supercharger brought out during the busy holiday periods. Perhaps you would like to explain why Tesla hadn't done just that? Two of the long queues happened last week on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, two very busy days for traffic in America apparently. You'd think an American company would know that and been prepared.
Now if they had more charging stations in more locations there wouldn't have been a problem. Also part of the problem was that because so many charging stations were being used in the one location, charging times were taking longer than normal. I maybe wrong, but I am fairly sure you said that didn't happen with Tesla's superchargers.

Wobble,wobble,wobble - off you go ruining a thread about cars again!

You were asked nicely to not do this but you can't help yourself.
Kindly 'jog on' - there's a good little chap.

Wobble,wobble,wobble - off you go ruining a thread about cars again!

You were asked nicely to not do this but you can't help yourself.
Kindly 'jog on' - there's a good little chap.
:eek::police::eek::police:
I wasn't aware stating facts ruined threads.

:eek::police::eek::police:
I wasn't aware stating facts ruined threads.
Problem is, None of what you've posted is facts.

Perhaps you would like to explain why Tesla hadn't done just that? Two of the long queues happened last week on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, two very busy days for traffic in America apparently.
Fact is, Tesla did do exactly that, the temporary chargers were set up for the Thanksgiving weekend. See: https://electrek.co/2019/11/29/tesla-mobile-supercharger-megapack/

Also part of the problem was that because so many charging stations were being used in the one location, charging times were taking longer than normal. I maybe wrong, but I am fairly sure you said that didn't happen with Tesla's superchargers.
It depends on the design of the charger load sharing. But fact is, most chargers installed in UK today does not do load sharing. They are just dumb charger that charges as quickly as possible.

In the future, load sharing will certainly happen. This will allow everyone to plug in their cars and not having to worry about moving the car when charge has finished. It is the best use of every types of resources. For example: https://pod-point.com/products/business/array

Tesla actually are the ones who do load sharing. Their supercharger stalls are identified as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. A and B are load shared, so for example if you plug in to 2B while 2A is charging, you'll get what remains of 150 kW shared between the 2 chargers. This is their original design from 2013. Their 2019 V3 superchargers have a 1 MW power source shared between 4 stalls, all stalls can operate at their claimed 250 kW.
I suspect they may upgrade charging speed in the future to do load sharing again, currently just laying the groundwork. Load sharing is the smart way to build infrastructure, it is a dynamically scalable solution. No EV can sustain their headline charging speed from 0 to 100%, not E-tron, not Taycan and no Tesla. So having load sharing will mean you can always have somewhere to plug in, instead of stuck waiting in the car for the plug.

Back