The General Drone-Related Thread

CE version is 4.3 miles. Def not just a wifi connection.
There's a switch on the side you can use normal controller or select wifi and then use virtual sticks on your mobile device.
The range on wifi is about 200 feet and 80 feet high.

Just as an FYI, the investigation and prosecution of illegal (including non PfAW sanctioned) UAV use has now passed to the police from the CAA.

In fact it happened several months ago.

Just as an FYI, the investigation and prosecution of illegal (including non PfAW sanctioned) UAV use has now passed to the police from the CAA.

In fact it happened several months ago.

It did indeed. The problem is that many forces don't actually know how to police the matter.

There's a switch on the side you can use normal controller or select wifi and then use virtual sticks on your mobile device.
The range on wifi is about 200 feet and 80 feet high.
So it seems DJI are trying to fill two niches? Good luck to them, the device looks the business but the price is insanely high.

I suspect the Gopro Karma will be dead in the water, the need to add the cost of a Gopro camera to the already high price of their drone will kill them, people will buy a Mavic.

DJI occupies the palace in drones that Gopro occupied in action cameras a few years back, ie they are the defacto standard, and they need to capitalise on it.

The Yuneec Breeze looks like an interesting option, way cheaper than the Mavic but no gimbal or external controller. That said, I can't see what it does over and above the Zerotech Dobby, other than have remote camera angle adjustment. I'm insanely tempted by the Dobby purely out of absolute curiosity, the size and portability look great, bit reviews online give me doubts.

I really like FPV flying and often fly my mini hex in this way, going low and fast round and through trees/obstacles, this sometimes means I fly BVLOS, its insanely fun and I get a buzz from it. However it doesn't mean flying dangerously, its all about WHERE you fly.
Doing that sort of thing in a hugely built up area, is not a good idea, but flying out in the sticks, where there is nothing to really crash into other than a few trees and maybe the creek (happened once), I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I do long range on the P3 too, again out in the middle of nowhere, not quite as exhilarating as the mini hex, but still fun none the less.

And I will continue to fly FPV

:)

Anyone here been caught out in the rain with their drone?..I was just about to take mine out and heavens opened!

Why fly downwind in such borderline conditions.
Even with a competent modern quadcopter such as Phantom or Inspire it can't handle winds near it's maximum speed.

Anyone here been caught out in the rain with their drone?..I was just about to take mine out and heavens opened!

Yes and my dress got totally soaked, on top of that dampness got into the gimbal electronics and caused it to stop working until I was able to dry it out.

It came back to life and is still going strong.

:)

While the pilot's shooting was good, I actually prefer the automatic flight's video! Good illustration of the auto avoidance feature.

Saw a clip on a news feed where the drone had failed to avoid a yacht's stay and nearly crashed after running into it. Can't find it on youtube.

Video has been removed.
That's strange, it had been up since July, must have been concerned by sudden spike in views!

In short they tried to circle round a TV tower in Berlin, but lost signal behind (classic mistake).
P4 tried to return directly home but stopped abruptly a few feet from the structure.
It climbed 30m to go over and tried again at a narrower point near the top - sensors still showed an obstacle so it went up again before detecting it could ease round to the left and safely continue RTH.

Last edited:
I have sorted out a deal for a p3p on a classifieds forum over here in Ireland.
http://www.adverts.ie/11521999
Supposed to be collecting it on Monday. Have been reading up on it and what to do/not do and generally trying to learn as much as I can.
I have a Samsung s6 edge and a galaxy tab 4, am I likely to run into difficulties connecting these, will one be better than the other, realistically I won't be in a position to buy an I pad just for this.

Derek

Some of them won't download the app from google play but you can usually sideload it by getting the .apk
Android is potentially better as there are a range of alternative apps such as Litchi
Otherwise they run much the same on either system.
It does need a fairly powerful device running a recent version of Android.
If it struggles make sure practically nothing else is running and consider turning off recording the downlink image.
Whichever has larger or brighter screen will be best, seeing the screen outside is such an issue I prefer to sit in a vehicle.

With that case be very cautious when closing the lid. If the antennas are not perfectly positioned on the controller it can push them inside and the assembly swivels free which could easily break a wire to it.
If there's a strap (and you use it) put it under the antennas not over.

Get him to go through the start-up routine with you.
Genuine seller would be only too pleased even if not possible to actually fly due to weather.
It's really easy to miss or do some important step wrongly at first when everything is new.

Wow, thats really helpful.
Both devices are running latest firmware.
I have installed dji go on my phone just to try and get familiar with the interface.
The seller seems really genuine and is meeting up for a couple of hours and lunch to give me some lessons.
Cant wait
Derek

Derek a friend of mine uses an note 5 with lastest software and there doesn't seem to be any issue.

A Youtuber had his pre release Mavic disappear on him, lost connection during the flight and now lost the drone.
View: https://youtu.be/MMInxg1Omv4

My guess is pilot error with this guy. He's also lost/broken 7 x Phantom 4 and other quads. Also lost a Dobby the day after losing the Mavic (fly-away this time over a busy NY street).

Not a good advert for responsible flying, this guy.

My guess is pilot error with this guy. He's also lost/broken 7 x Phantom 4 and other quads. Also lost a Dobby the day after losing the Mavic (fly-away this time over a busy NY street).

Not a good advert for responsible flying, this guy.
Yes, I agree he may not be the best advert for responsible flyers but I was under the impression that if the Mavic lost connection it would sort itself out and do the return to home thing and land within a couple of feet from where it took off.

The last recorded location was by a yacht so perhaps he hit the mast or rigging in the dark, in which case it probably fell in the river.

Cheers I was just experimenting taking pics etc so its all a bit fast and jerky but looking forward to getting out again soon.I was planning on today but wind picked up and also rained this morning.maybe tomorrow!!

Was that done with a racing drone or Mavic?

I'm hoping to collect my p3p tomorrow, contemplating getting training wheels for it never mind that video with loops and spins and it made my head hurt. :hungover:

:):):)

That looks like a racing drone, a stabilised platform can't move like that, it's the sort of flying I'm used to doing on my mini hex.
Fast and mad

The last recorded location was by a yacht so perhaps he hit the mast or rigging in the dark, in which case it probably fell in the river.

Whilst this loss was different circumstances in one of his other videos he is taking off from a boat and hits rigging. In his first mavic review he is flying it in winds far stronger than is sensible (but got away with it). His record and videos are certainly not the best advert for good piloting.

That looks like a racing drone, a stabilised platform can't move like that, it's the sort of flying I'm used to doing on my mini hex.
Fast and mad
Not strictly true, as a Chroma user with the right setup I can switch apparently GPS off and mess with my rates for a more "dynamic" type of flight than people are used to with a GPS-enabled quad. Have I tried this? Of course not! I do have two of them and a suitable radio though, so I could technically try. Hmm...

I do remember reading a long time back that this is possible with the original phantoms through the setup GUI but again it's not something I tried.

Not strictly true, as a Chroma user with the right setup I can switch apparently GPS off and mess with my rates for a more "dynamic" type of flight than people are used to with a GPS-enabled quad. Have I tried this? Of course not! I do have two of them and a suitable radio though, so I could technically try. Hmm...

I do remember reading a long time back that this is possible with the original phantoms through the setup GUI but again it's not something I tried.

I think you've missed my point.
I'm talking about flying acro with a stabilised gimbal like on the P3 and P4, it can't do it.

What agility mode is on the Chroma is how many race quads are set up, with fixed vibration damped cameras, my mini hex is set up the same way with tap washers under the GoPro mount, then setting the FC so it flies like its on rails, flips and rolls are just awesome.

Back