The General Drone-Related Thread

Your best option is to watch DJI online tutorials here:
https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-air/info#video
The videos aren't very long.
There are helpful forums such as Mavicpilots.com but you might get put off reading various tales of disaster - which should not happen to you if you understand it fully.

A very common 'mistake' is impatiently trying to fly in a tight back yard or garden - or even indoors - for the very first flight. Or when it's too windy.
You want to be well out in the open, and go up to about 100 feet above any obstacles then just fly slowly around steering by gently turning as you go.
Smooth movements are all about using both sticks in a very controlled steady way.
A second common issue is getting over confident after a couple of flights because it seems so easy.
- going too fast, too far, too high, then getting befuddled as moving left 'becomes' right after you turned round, or disorientated when suddenly you don't really recognise what you are seeing on screen. It can sometimes feel like the drone is moving when it's not, or not responding when it is. Usually this is owner error and it is responding correctly - to the inputs being given (!)

WOW! That has given me a whole new sense of confidence. Overload at the same time, but I have watched right through.... now my eyes are burning. Thank you very much for that. I think this little drone is going to be exactly what I needed, the compact size for taking with me on the motorbike is why I went for it rather than the bigger Mavic Pro that my friend has.... I am glad I did. It is plenty good enough for what I need. Those automatic flight paths will help out in some situations, but I still think I need to be flying and someone else do the fishing until I get proficient.

I have watched ever single one of those... it doesn't tell you how to turn the thing on though..... The aircraft stutters to life with lights on, the handset battery is full. I have a phone to link to it, just to get me going (loaned from a friend). It took me half the day to find out how you download the app.. I think that might be part of the problem. How did I get a DJI account? I don't remember doing it, but my head is an absolute spin with this 'app' and wifi and all the other 'phone' technology. When I was boy, you turned on the receiver, one slide switch. You turned on the transmitter, one slide switch. You checked nobodt was using the same colour flag (crystal frequency), checked the controls were working, primed the carb, with your thumb over the intake whilst spinning the prop a bit. Gave the prop a good thwack to spin it and hopefully she fired up..... that was it.

The flying aspect is the easy bit... it is the phone part of it that is just completely alien to me. I have never used an 'app' before. I have never used a swipe screen phone before.

The aircraft receiver must be on a different frequency to the handset. That is the only thing I can think of. Who or where do I go for help please?

@Lensflare
Plug the cable from the side of the controller into the phone. (Make sure it’s the right type usb c, micro usb or lightning depending on what phone you have.
Press the handset on button once, then again and hold it.. it will beep.
Do the same with the drone

Open the app and when connected it will say fly now or something similar on the bottom right.
If for some reason the controller isnt synced, then I’ll tell you how to do it in another post.
Try above fist.

Last edited:
I have watched ever single one of those... it doesn't tell you how to turn the thing on though..... The aircraft stutters to life with lights on, the handset battery is full. I have a phone to link to it, just to get me going (loaned from a friend). It took me half the day to find out how you download the app.. I think that might be part of the problem. How did I get a DJI account? I don't remember doing it, but my head is an absolute spin with this 'app' and wifi and all the other 'phone' technology. When I was boy, you turned on the receiver, one slide switch. You turned on the transmitter, one slide switch. You checked nobodt was using the same colour flag (crystal frequency), checked the controls were working, primed the carb, with your thumb over the intake whilst spinning the prop a bit. Gave the prop a good thwack to spin it and hopefully she fired up..... that was it.

The flying aspect is the easy bit... it is the phone part of it that is just completely alien to me. I have never used an 'app' before. I have never used a swipe screen phone before.

The aircraft receiver must be on a different frequency to the handset. That is the only thing I can think of. Who or where do I go for help please?

Put it back in the box :)

Last edited:
Put it back in the box :)

I understand your sentiment and the quick humourous jibe, but it isn't helpful. I need someone to show me how to use a smart phone or tablet I think. The phone is on Android 7, so should be OK according to the requirements (Android 5 and above). It is an old one he got upgrades for. I think he is on a Samsung Galaxy 9 now. It is big anyway. The phone was plugged in. The controller was on and showing 4 lights. The helicopter was sat there with lights flashing and the phone screen kept saying 'timed out'.

@Lensflare
What colour is the led on the left hand side of the controller When it’s turned on?
Can you confirm you are using the DJI GO4 app. DJI has several apps, only this one will work with the MA.

When you get a timed out message, where is this displayed, what exactly does it say?

It sounds to me like the drone has previously been connected via Wi-Fi to a phone rather than wired, so it’s lost direct connection with the remote.
There are a few ways to fix it, but I need more info.

Last edited:
Are there no handy eight year olds nearby ;)
Don't imagine it's beyond you I'm 60.

The app should open and run with just the phone turned on to check it's installed correct.
However until a suitable drone is detected a lot of the settings and such to look through are missing or can't be changed .
Once it's been set up correctly the app will open automatically when the controller is plugged in.
Usually it will know which one you have but if it shows a different model scroll the screen to yours. You might have to do this first time it's connected.

If things still aren't co-operating yu can completely delete the app and download again from Play Store pretty sure you need DJi Go4.
There are alternative apps for older models and the new Mini is different - they won't work with yours.

A slightly worrying possibility is that the Mavic has never had firmware updates so isn't communicating fully with controller or latest app but we won't go there yet.
usually it will just inform you things aren't compatible and do the update for you. Also it might not be linked to controller there will be a way to reset them manually but not sure how with yours, it is unusual to need to relink if they came together.

I understand your sentiment and the quick humourous jibe, but it isn't helpful. I need someone to show me how to use a smart phone or tablet I think. The phone is on Android 7, so should be OK according to the requirements (Android 5 and above). It is an old one he got upgrades for. I think he is on a Samsung Galaxy 9 now. It is big anyway. The phone was plugged in. The controller was on and showing 4 lights. The helicopter was sat there with lights flashing and the phone screen kept saying 'timed out'.

A bit tongue in cheek indeen, but seriously, these thing are dangerous, your lack of the very basics means you need to get some face to face help/training. At the moment you don’t know how a smart phone works, let alone how to fly and interact with the drone and it’s app/features. You will get it I am sure, but you need some face to face training before you either lose the drone or worse hit something/someone.

I have had. The chap was using aniPad. I could work the helicopter with the sticks, no problem. BUT, I do know I do not want a big thing like that. I couldn't hold it, it was too heavy after 2 batteries. I had to stop, the controller was making my arm and shoulder ache. It was enough to tell me that. It was also enough to tell me that I can control the helicopter happily, with very slowed down controls. I don't need to fly far for what I want, maybe 100 yards at most. And 100 yards high is craning your neck unless it is away from you. Yes, limited range but for what I want it will be plenty.

I have been trying to get someone to show me how to work one of these new phones for a couple of years.... while I was stuck in bed for 2 years I had all the time in the world and got bored reading books and listening to the radio. You try and find someone today who can teach from scratch - they ALL say 'you just do this' and there it is done, like magic... the task is complete and I have only just registered the first button press. They get bored and walk off. I have been in to the phone shops too, they are worse. They bombbard you with capabilities of the machine, but they won't sit down and go through the very basics with you.

Last edited:
Im trying to help, but you keep ignoring all my posts, so..
On your own now Im afraid.

Im trying to help, but you keep ignoring all my posts, so..
On your own now Im afraid.

How have I ignored your posts? I have replied to them. Unless there is one I have missed... which one please and I will go back and read it. I have read everything and replied to everything I have seen.

What I have discovered is the instructions the app gave me last night WERE WRONG. The on screen instruction from the app (Go Fly more 4 or whatever it is called) said to press and hold the flashing button until it beeped TWICE.. I did and it timed out every time.

This morning I was shown a video of how to link the controller to the helicopter and it said to press and hold that button until it BEEPED ONCE. BINGO, it worked. The controller is now talking to the helicopter. The blades whirred and it satthere waiting for flight inputs. I did a little jig, whooped with jy, turned it all off and now intend to start to get to grips with how to put the settings in order. I have no intention of flying it until I can understand the settings - I know I can fly it physically, I did that the other night, it is these phone instructions I need to get to grips with. That is proving very hard to find anyone who will do it with me.

I have watched video after video on how to change the settings - NOT ONE OF THEM says whether you have to have everything turned on or not. They expect you to know that, again, not starting from the very basics, they expect people to start part way up the hill. In order to change the settings, do you have to have everything turned on and linked? Or does the app act like a memory bank, as on the DSLR cameras, where you can set the settings and it stores them so they remain the same for ever, until you change them? Nothing in any video I have watched explains that - they only rush through what each setting is.

Example of what I mean by the DSLR changing settings... set it up and it stays there.

https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d4s_tips/basic_settings/

Last edited:
Changes you make in settings via the app are stored in the drone and mostly persist until changed again.
Some will be reset to default after firmware updates.
It's worth checking every time that the lost signal (RTH) behaviour is appropriate.
Usually you want it to rise and return to home but if you were doing something arty under tree canopy it wants to be set to hover.
Also you might want to increase the default RTH height if there are taller obstacles about.

@Lensflare

If you want a great screen for the job look on Ebay for an Nvidia shield K1, they are an obsolete tablet that's fantastic for the job. You can get one for around the £100 mark on fleabay. Then get one of these cheap mounts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B4XWY73/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_nZP0EbFF4REEP

I've flown my Air and my Mavic 2 pro with one. Nice size screen so buttons easy to see and press, designed for 4k video so you'll be able to play back your footage properly. Best of all cheap.

Last edited:
Windy today. I set some settings, others I can't find. But I set it up in the garden, lifted it off the ground, flew it 20 feet to the bench seat, spun it round, flew it back to me at head height, caught it, turned it off! I just hovered it beside me, swapped hands with the controller, so I had left stick control. Quietly crept up underneath, tickled it's tummy and pulled left stick down. Blades stopped. Perfect!

I do have a very light touch on the sticks, I can move it an inch if i need to. Probably too slow for experienced flyers. Now to go through these settings again. I can't remember them. I am slowly writing a handbook for myself - my notes so I can understand them and then I will remember them better too - I always remember thigs better if I have to write them down.

First flight success.

Reactions: Nod
One thing I have discovered. A small phone is useless for seeing where you are going and the various 'buttons' to control different things - the information is just way to small to be of any use. I need a tablet with a decent screen, my eyesight isn't good enough otherwise!

@Lensflare
What colour is the led on the left hand side of the controller When it’s turned on? It was red, but by watching a tutorial video on 'pairing the controller' it is now GREEN.

Can you confirm you are using the DJI GO4 app. DJI has several apps, only this one will work with the MA. Yes, I am.

When you get a timed out message, where is this displayed, what exactly does it say? It was on the controller side of things, on my phone screen (controller doesn't have a screen). It was the message that comes up when trying to pair it, you start the controller beeping, the helicopter light flashes. Press the light until it beeps (twice the on screen instruction said) and wait... the count down timer started at 60 and at the end, because it failed to find each other it said 'timed out' - I can't remember exactly what it said.

It sounds to me like the drone has previously been connected via Wi-Fi to a phone rather than wired, so it’s lost direct connection with the remote. I don't know what this means. The previous owner had both an iPhone and an Android phone and they were connected using the little wire from the top left of the control box. He had to change wires, but used both while I was there to show me how to do it.

There are a few ways to fix it, but I need more info.

I have managed to now get the controller and old phone given to me to try it with to pair with the helicopter. I managed to take off in the garden, fly it 20 feet and bring it back it to me, hover at shoulder height, catch the drone and turn it off. I don't want to fly it further than that until I know what 'tablet' to get that will give me:
Good connection.
Provide good Return to Home at CONTROLLER, not launch point.
Allow me to see the information easily.
Have enough battery to last - I notice the old phone is draining the control box battery very rapidly. The control box is charging the phone, even if plugged in at 100% phone battery. With 5 minutes the phone is down to 75%. The controller was also fully charged before starting out. The drone has flown 2 hours only before I got it. I hope there is a way of turning off the charging aspect, with a more up to date tablet anyway.

Now I am off to watch more confusing videos on how to change the settings. I wish the peope would speak a little more slowly and the button they pressed by highlighted for a LOT longer. I am having to rewind the video constantly to try to see which button it is they were talking about. I am writing it down as I go along. I have a dedicated notebook, which will end up as a manual for me to refer to, because I know I will not be able to remember it until I have done it many, many times.

I hope that helps.

It does actually with Android, there is no easy way to stop it but the power transfer is rather small if a typical flight of 10 minutes or whatever.

Another good reason to spend the extra for the iPad 4 then. It would appear to be the most reliable option. It seems churlish to try to save £50 at this stage and then have to change later anyway.

I am off up north tomorrow, so away for a day or two. back later, hopefully with more news and more knowledge.

Thank you everyone for your help to get me this far. I won't bother flying it again with this phone, it is too poor to see by.

Last edited:
Whoops! Accidentally clicked order on a Mavic Mini!!!

OOPs now your in trouble.

Just a heads up for those with the old style controller, ALWAYS use the USB socket in the bottom for your phone or tablet. Only use the side one to charge. The side one is really easy to break as it's a stupid square Mini USB not. standard one. The bottom socket is far more robust and you can't try and jam the plug in the wrong way like the side one.

OOPs now your in trouble.

Just a heads up for those with the old style controller, ALWAYS use the USB socket in the bottom for your phone or tablet. Only use the side one to charge. The side one is really easy to break as it's a stupid square Mini USB not. standard one. The bottom socket is far more robust and you can't try and jam the plug in the wrong way like the side one.

That is worth knowing. Thank you.

Another good reason to spend the extra for the iPad 4 then. .
Not really, either option is fine, the drain to phone is trivial
You can get a little adapter to use up any part used drone battery to charge controller or phone by USB.
In practice if you go out with everything charged and flew three batteries there wouldn't be any need.
Not often you would do that, I usually use one battery and have got what I wanted

The longest viaduct in the UK, Harringworth viaduct with the setting sun shining on, i must do it one day with a rare train running along.

Attachments

• harringworth long.jpg
    harringworth long.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 43
One thing I have discovered. A small phone is useless for seeing where you are going and the various 'buttons' to control different things - the information is just way to small to be of any use. I need a tablet with a decent screen, my eyesight isn't good enough otherwise!

yes, every time I get back and look at the footage on the iMac I see stuff that had I noticed whilst flying I would have spent a decent time watching/filming.

The longest viaduct in the UK, Harringworth viaduct with the setting sun shining on, i must do it one day with a rare train running along.

That is interesting. Great picture. What kind of height would you have to go to for that?

Any activated care refresh? Ordered with DJI and have agreement no through and all looks ok but no activation code to enter?

You should get an activation code when you register it, I think you get an email but it’s been a while since I activated my drones.

Did you try and activate it and get asked for a code ?

You should get an activation code when you register it, I think you get an email but it’s been a while since I activated my drones.

Did you try and activate it and get asked for a code ?

I have a service agreement which has the aircraft and gimbal serials on, but on the drone it was asking me to buy or activate. It may have been as the order was still in progress, will check tonight.

Hi guys,

I leaning towards getting my first drone and thought the Mavic Mini might be a fair choice for a total novice to start with. Judging by the comments in this thread it does seem to be reasonably well thought of.

The only issue I have is that my Huawei P20 Pro phone is not listed in the Compatibility List on DJI’s web site for this model. I have emailed DJI Support and they advise that the P20 Pro has not yet been tested with the Mini by their engineers and suggested that maybe I could find someone who has the same drone and phone to see if the combo works OK. So my question is – does anyone have this combo and how does it perform? I don’t really want to go spending 450 squids odd only to find that my phone is not compatible.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi guys,

I leaning towards getting my first drone and thought the Mavic Mini might be a fair choice for a total novice to start with. Judging by the comments in this thread it does seem to be reasonably well thought of.

The only issue I have is that my Huawei P20 Pro phone is not listed in the Compatibility List on DJI’s web site for this model. I have emailed DJI Support and they advise that the P20 Pro has not yet been tested with the Mini by their engineers and suggested that maybe I could find someone who has the same drone and phone to see if the combo works OK. So my question is – does anyone have this combo and how does it perform? I don’t really want to go spending 450 squids odd only to find that my phone is not compatible.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Check whether you can download the DJI fly app from the AppStore. If it downloads you’ll probably be okay. It must have android 7.0 or above. Remember DJI Fly not DJI go4

The Mavic Air 2 is better value, especially for more serious photo and video as you have more camera control
Any recent phone with at least 2GB of RAM and adequate storage will probably be OK for the app.

Apart from being a bit cheaper the only real plus point for the mini is sidestepping legislation by being 1gram under the weight limit, and that won't last long.
Having said that both photo and video from it are surprisingly good.

Back