The General Drone-Related Thread

Two problems for me regarding the Mavic Mini. Firstly I don't have a compatible phone/tablet device to fit the control, it's a bit of a short list currently and the cost of such as an IPAD Mini vastly increases the intial costs. Secondly, whilst it falls outside of the current Regulations being under 250 gms, new legislation due in June 2020 is anticipated to require any UAV to be registered if fitted with a camera. It's a lot of money to spend to only enjoy about 5 months worth of unregistered use within the current rules. So unless maximum portability is an absolute must, it might be better to use an existing larger drone with better video or stills capability, or at least hold fire until there is more clarity on the impending changes in June.

Anyone got a Mavic Mini yet?
yes, my son got one for Christmas, and judjment is still out, they are small for a reason, they are far from being a Mavic, so far we have had issues with transmission distance with the unit losing connection less than 100m out, could be environmental, could be a rubbish unit. There is ZERO comparison in terms of build quality compared to a full size Mavic and not much in terms of portability difference, if anything the Mavic mini fly more bundle in its case is a bit bigger than the Mavic in its bag, there is very little in it. more to follow on the transmitter issues., my initial thought are they are very much in the toy bracket.

WIFI is massive issue to this unit, a noisy environment can cause issues, the video latency is noticeable as well, plus points is they appear to be pretty stable in wind, the camera is ok, for a first dip into drones would it be a good option? in my opinion save up and get a Mavic pro.

The changes in June are actually quite good, it opens the door a lot wider for commercial stuff and for once is bringing regulations in line with the technology.

Last edited:
I have no issues with then having my name. It should be regulated in my opinion as it could be a dangerous hobby.

But if it's about safety then the questions really should have been more taxing.
Its nothing to do with safety, some loony in government thought there was a billion drones in the UK and thought £9 a pop would be a great tax, lets face it your dog is more dangerous than a drone, and the registration on them is pretty weak.

Last edited:
Anyone got a Mavic Mini yet?
Sold my Spark the moment Mini was announced.

Haven't gotten the Mini yet, waiting for deals or until it gets warmer and I want to fly a drone.

It's all holiday snaps and fly for fun with my Spark. Mini will do nicely in a lighter, smaller (when folded) package. I've only ever used Exposure Compensation, never used active track or other photo modes, so Mini's downgrade in this regard doesn't matter as much.

But with a toddler child, I may just wait a few years until he understands drones, hopefully Mini 2 will be out by then.

Two problems for me regarding the Mavic Mini. Firstly I don't have a compatible phone/tablet device to fit the control, it's a bit of a short list currently and the cost of such as an IPAD Mini vastly increases the intial costs. Secondly, whilst it falls outside of the current Regulations being under 250 gms, new legislation due in June 2020 is anticipated to require any UAV to be registered if fitted with a camera. It's a lot of money to spend to only enjoy about 5 months worth of unregistered use within the current rules. So unless maximum portability is an absolute must, it might be better to use an existing larger drone with better video or stills capability, or at least hold fire until there is more clarity on the impending changes in June.

What are the expected changes to current rules?

yes, my son got one for Christmas, and judjment is still out, they are small for a reason, they are far from being a Mavic, so far we have had issues with transmission distance with the unit losing connection less than 100m out, could be environmental, could be a rubbish unit. There is ZERO comparison in terms of build quality compared to a full size Mavic and not much in terms of portability difference, if anything the Mavic mini fly more bundle in its case is a bit bigger than the Mavic in its bag, there is very little in it. more to follow on the transmitter issues., my initial thought are they are very much in the toy bracket.

WIFI is massive issue to this unit, a noisy environment can cause issues, the video latency is noticeable as well, plus points is they appear to be pretty stable in wind, the camera is ok, for a first dip into drones would it be a good option? in my opinion save up and get a Mavic pro.

The changes in June are actually quite good, it opens the door a lot wider for commercial stuff and for once is bringing regulations in line with the technology.
A friend did get one when they first came out and has been out to 3000 feet to test range - on the moors.
On the MavicPilots forums there seems to be a lot of instances of them being taken by wind largely as a result of new owners being too ambitious and not being aware of much stronger winds even just above trees and buildings.
For photography and video where you are often using it more like a very tall tripod the Mini will take some beating especially considering the modest cost.

Is there any such thing as a cheap drone ( eg under £150 ) with a reasonable camera ? We're looking to do a road trip to Wales in April and i though about one for this but I cannot see it getting more use so didn't want to spend much money

Or is it pointless at this price ?

Is there any such thing as a cheap drone ( eg under £150 ) with a reasonable camera ? We're looking to do a road trip to Wales in April and i though about one for this but I cannot see it getting more use so didn't want to spend much money

No :)

No, but just buy a Mavic air or similar on eBay and resell it after. You won’t loose much, if any.

You might get one used for that sort of money, people do lose interest or trade in.
From DJI Phantom 3 onwards are OK but the more recent foldable ones are so much easier to deal with.
Unless obviously damaged they have proved more robust than you might think but I'd want a demonstration it was fully working ideally someone with you who knows enough to ask appropriate questions.

i assume there is no issue with buying from eglobal ? They're £300 for a mini compared to £370 in the UK which would allow me to get an extra battery too

A friend did get one when they first came out and has been out to 3000 feet to test range - on the moors.
On the MavicPilots forums there seems to be a lot of instances of them being taken by wind largely as a result of new owners being too ambitious and not being aware of much stronger winds even just above trees and buildings.
For photography and video where you are often using it more like a very tall tripod the Mini will take some beating especially considering the modest cost.

Got to say that your absolutely spot on, my mini got delivered on Saturday and it's very very good for what they are intended to be. Incredibly lightweight so wind will be a problem if you are not careful but having said that better than I thought it would be.
I previously had a Mavic Pro and before that a Phantom but they were rarely used because they were a pain to carry around (along with my camera gear) with this Mini however weight is not an issue and as a result will come out with me a lot more often.
It's also very easy to fly, not intimidating like some larger drones can be, quite quiet too, the new Fly app is also very simple to get your head around and use. I live on Dartmoor and at time it can be quite windy (hard to stand up) but the weather is great at the moment so I have been out twice so far and will take it out again today, range for me has not been an issue at all, I have already lost site of it once (yes I know I mustn't do that) but no drop out at all.
All in all I'm really pleased with it.

I bought a Mavic Mini from Currys eBay site with a 10% discount about a week before lockdown ( typical )

My son has flown it once, just to get used to the controls and it’s pretty impressive

I had to travel this morning and took my Mavic 2, but it was a classic day of being far too windy to be safe as soon as you got to any height, so it never left the bag even though at home it seemed reasonable.
There are some extra opportunities just now with no one walking about and places you might want to take pictures of practically deserted.

There are some extra opportunities just now with no one walking about and places you might want to take pictures of practically deserted.

I should be careful if you do - it isn't classed as exercise and you could end up getting your collar felt.

I live right on a beach and I asked the local plod if I'd be breaking any new rules if I flew mine. I was told that it's not classed as exercise, so a definite no. :(

So I did:

During the transitional period between 1st July 2020 - July 2021: (For a Mvic Pro 2 - I have a Mavic pro so assume the same rules apply)

There can be no uninvolved people present within the area of flight; and there can be no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial, or recreational areas (A3 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.

How Do I Get an A2 C of C?
Sit an A2 C of C with a Recognised Assessment Entity, such as Heliguy.

Got to say that your absolutely spot on, my mini got delivered on Saturday and it's very very good for what they are intended to be. Incredibly lightweight so wind will be a problem if you are not careful but having said that better than I thought it would be.
I previously had a Mavic Pro and before that a Phantom but they were rarely used because they were a pain to carry around (along with my camera gear) with this Mini however weight is not an issue and as a result will come out with me a lot more often.
It's also very easy to fly, not intimidating like some larger drones can be, quite quiet too, the new Fly app is also very simple to get your head around and use. I live on Dartmoor and at time it can be quite windy (hard to stand up) but the weather is great at the moment so I have been out twice so far and will take it out again today, range for me has not been an issue at all, I have already lost site of it once (yes I know I mustn't do that) but no drop out at all.
All in all I'm really pleased with it.

have you registered it and done the test?

He's bought a mini which is under 250g.

He doesn't need to register it until the rules change on 1st July 2020.

Then we have an interim period until the new rules officially come in in July 2021.

That's how I read it anyway.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My bad I though it was an "air" in which case you correct :) I personally would challenge the plod if stopped in July, my eleven years old has an mini and as far as I am concerned its a toy being used by a child.

Funnily enough yes, I had already done the test and paid my £9.00 when I had a Mavic Pro, just one of lifes little ironies that I now don't need it :confused:

You will in a couple of months.

I have a Mavic Pro but it's a tad windy even for the heavier ones at the moment.

I have a large playing area 200 yards from my home but am concerned someone's going to have a pop if I use mine there in these times.

Really don't need an unnecessary argument at the moment as I'd certainly tell them where to go.

I'm s*** scared to go over the road to the Co op at the moment and the other half's dad (who we think has dementia) insists on going to the Range for some bathroom paint!!!

You will in a couple of months.

I have a Mavic Pro but it's a tad windy even for the heavier ones at the moment.

I have a large playing area 200 yards from my home but am concerned someone's going to have a pop if I use mine there in these times.

Really don't need an unnecessary argument at the moment as I'd certainly tell them where to go.

I'm s*** scared to go over the road to the Co op at the moment and the other half's dad (who we think has dementia) insists on going to the Range for some bathroom paint!!!

I have an entire golf course :) just cannot be bothered :)

A week in and I'm having to learn new skills, Filmora 9 is my editor of choice, I tried half a dozen but this one seems to work for me. So my first video is in the link below, criticise as much as you like I can only get better I hope :p

View: https://youtu.be/IfmlUBYd1Jo

A week in and I'm having to learn new skills, Filmora 9 is my editor of choice, I tried half a dozen but this one seems to work for me. So my first video is in the link below, criticise as much as you like I can only get better I hope :p

View: https://youtu.be/IfmlUBYd1Jo

needs a lot of work :) with this type of footage, you need snappy changes, 2-10 second clips, flowing Into the next clip with the music/beat, long drawn out clips drag on and people quickly get bored. :)

Back