The General Drone-Related Thread

I have pre-ordered a Mavic Air 2 .... should be with me in the middle of May..... never flown a drone before so really looking forward to it :)
Seems to be a very decent package for the price.
A sensible upgrade from a mini but I won't be buying one to replace Mavic 2

I have the checkout page open on jessops for Mavic air 2 Fly more package. Haven’t pressed the button yet though!
I have a Mavic air now and it’s great, but I do get signal issues around here flying off the roof of my house over the forest, so the inclusion of ocusync is a huge plus for me. It’s almost worth the upgrade for that alone.
The HDR video also looks interesting if it actually works.
Think I’ll hold fire til a bit nearer the dispatch date, as I’ll have to sell my Mavic air to part fund this one and don’t want to be without a drone for several weeks.

If sales are disappointing due to CV-19 they may drop the price a bit.
Or exchange rates might make them less affordable.
I would say with the increased battery life one additional battery would be adequate, however the one supplied in base package would be too restrictive for most.
They have a track record of making you wait for weeks or months [for additional battery] unless you buy the fly-more to get extra though.

Last edited:
Batteries are about £105 each.
So £769 with one, or £949 with three makes sense. I have 3 with my air 1 and usually use them all in a session.
No doubt the battery price will drop after a few months though, £105 seems pretty crazy for a battery imo.
Think the air 1 batteries were about £60 last time I looked, may be less now.

I really wish companies would stop screwing people over and changing the design with every new product though So you have to buy new ones with every new product if you have a large collection.

Last edited:
I really wish companies would stop screwing people over and changing the design with every new product though So you have to buy new ones with every new product if you have a large collection.
With drones though the battery refinements are considerable with each new version.
It certainly was annoying in earlier models for example the difference between Vision Plus and Phantom 3 was so trivial they looked almost identical except for the connections (and different voltage).
Also performance declines pretty sharply after a couple of years so in reality your stash from previous version might underperform to a dangerous degree

Last edited:
I think with the new regulations coming in I’ll just hang up my wings unless the mavic pro 1 ends up coming under one of these new regulations regarding type of air craft, I enjoy flying it and the views I’m able to get but I’m not shelling out for a pfco for the privilege.

With all the negative press that goes along with drones and most people that aren’t into them jumping on the band wagon the new regulations are the nail in the coffin for me.

I think with the new regulations coming in I’ll just hang up my wings unless the mavic pro 1 ends up coming under one of these new regulations regarding type of air craft, I enjoy flying it and the views I’m able to get but I’m not shelling out for a pfco for the privilege.

With all the negative press that goes along with drones and most people that aren’t into them jumping on the band wagon the new regulations are the nail in the coffin for me.

I don’t think the new regulations are that bad are they? £9 test iirc?

I don’t think the new regulations are that bad are they? £9 test iirc?
I’m sure I read that come July there will be 3 new forms of drone usage plus categories of drones, and if your drone doesn’t sit in any of the categories then in order to use it legally you fall into the category of requiring a full pfco. Cant quite remember the term they use for it.

Just pulled this from the Heliguy website.

Drones introduced to the market before July 1, 2022, will become known as legacy aircraft. So, after the Transitional Period ends, you will only be able to fly these legacy aircraft in the A3 subcategory (far from people – no uninvolved people present within the area of flight/no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas), unless you have a valid Operational Authorisation (PfCO).

So to be fair I guess I have a little while left before giving it up!

The new EU UAS regs were meant to be introduced from 1st June 2020 however due to the current situation the CAA have extend this for a minimum of 4 Months.

If you already have a drone of less than 25kg and not operating commercially you are not currently allowed to fly within 150m of a congested area or within 50m of people, buildings etc. at the moment.

When the new regulations eventually come in you will still be able to operate your existing drone more than 150m from a congested area and ensure "There are no uninvolved people in the area of the flight". There is no time limit on this situation at the moment.

This means that you will be able to fly your existing drone as you do now for an indefinite period in Category A3 (see below). You will need to have read the manual and you will need to take the test and register online but you should have done that already.

Here is a link to CAP 1789 with all the details https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9135

Table A1.jpg

Last edited:
The new EU UAS regs were meant to be introduced from 1st June 2020 however due to the current situation the CAA have extend this for a minimum of 4 Months.

If you already have a drone of less than 25kg and not operating commercially you are not currently allowed to fly within 150m of a congested area or within 50m of people, buildings etc. at the moment.

When the new regulations eventually come in you will still be able to operate your existing drone more than 150m from a congested area and ensure "There are no uninvolved people in the area of the flight". There is no time limit on this situation at the moment.

This means that you will be able to fly your existing drone as you do now for an indefinite period in Category A3 (see below). You will need to have read the manual and you will need to take the test and register online but you should have done that already.

Here is a link to CAP 1789 with all the details https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9135

View attachment 277187

^this :) very messy this, but will get better, but should open up the whole thing for people to fly commercially without spending loads on exams.

^this :) very messy this, but will get better, but should open up the whole thing for people to fly commercially without spending loads on exams.

My understanding is that the difference between commercial and non commercial operations will disappear and the level of permission you need will just come down to the risk and how close you want to get to people etc.

But the a3 category doesn’t leave much at all does it, That’s my thinking, luckily I didn’t buy my mavic new. Most places are going to be off limits due to being recreational areas or with people not involved in the flight etc. I guess that’s the idea though.

Where can I look up the inns and outs of using a drone professionally please

But the a3 category doesn’t leave much at all does it, That’s my thinking, luckily I didn’t buy my mavic new. Most places are going to be off limits due to being recreational areas or with people not involved in the flight etc. I guess that’s the idea though.

Unless you have a PfCO the A3 category gives you the same rights as you have now.

Unless you have a PfCO the A3 category gives you the same rights as you have now.

I thought I was allowed no closer than 50m from people and buildings, 150m from crowds and built up areas and no higher than 120m etc. Nothing about recreational areas like open park/woodland areas.
I’ve not had mine up in the air since last year but I wasn’t aware of any changes to that.

The New Mavic Air 2 arrived to me yesterday.

3 shot AEB, combined in to HDR in Lightroom.
Quality is slightly degraded here, but the original looks pretty decent as drone photos go.
The flight range is vastly superior to the original Air which I also have and the live feed video is also a big improvement.
Happy with the upgrade so far.

A823B8D2-DD18-43A3-851E-4AFDD9D25CF2.jpeg

Looks good, just debating with myself whether to buy one now or wait until the Airsense version turns up.

Can’t see the air sense of being much benefit tbh. It’s pretty obvious if other things are flying nearby so you should either not fly or be careful.
Is it just not going to give people a false sense of security and encourage them to fly far beyond line of sight?

I tend to agree, it struck me as being a bit of a gimmick really, I know how and where I fly my mavic mini and even though the Air 2 has a much greater range I wouldn't be pushing much further.

Air sense whilst it seem daft will probably become compulsory, thankfully A3 more than covers my needs with my original Air and MP2. I don't like flying near people anyway.

The Air 2 will eventually come with Airsense but as usual Europe is only supposed to be a small market ( coughs ) so yet again we pay more for less.

I'd wait until around September to get one if I was going to. The Mini seems to have had more problems and flyaways than the original do I'd think the Air 2 may be the same.

I'm just waiting for a decent day to get the MP2 flying, I bought it last September just after a bad house fire damaged my Air. Just after buying it I got ill, then crappy weather now this Covid. The batteries are already out of Warrenty and the drone has 12 minutes of flight time.

Hope it still works as I've little refresh time left on it.

Already pushed the button and paid for a Saturday delivery, the mini has been so much fun and most if not all of the so called fly aways are probably down to pilot error/ignorance of how badly wind can effect such a small drone. I regularly get wind warnings via the controller and just either land or bring it down to a safer height.

The Air 2 has a great spec to it especially the HDR video so I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Itchy finger syndrome eh !

The one thing that has come forward with the Air 2 is you must charge the batteries individually on the first charge, one at a time in the charger. There have been reports of the batteries bricking themselves if all are done the first time in the charger. Whilst the charger individually chooses which battery to charge, fullest first there's sometimes a problem with the way the charger activates the batteries.

Hope you have fun with it, it looks like a fantastic upgrade to the original air.

Couldn't resist ;) thanks for the advice on the batteries, I had read of this sometimes occuring on other forums, lots of people not suffering even though they put all three batteries in the charging hub, I have not bought the fly more combo though as there are none in stock (or at least very thin on the ground) so I will have to charge them individually (I bought an extra battery)

A short HDR video clip, just to show the sort of results.
It’s good, but I’m undecided to shoot predominantly in that or 4k 30 with cinelike and colour grade In post.
MyMacBook Pro seems reluctant to play or edit 4k60 very well.

View: https://vimeo.com/418550348

I haven't collected it yet but I have just become the proud owner of a Mavic Air..... now a whole new journey begins! I have never played a video game, so even the controller is 'complex' for me. I know you probably think it is simple because it only has 6 buttons.... I have to think about how to use 2 buttons, and usually have to look at them to be able to use the right one! Hopefully with practice that will improve and in the meantime I am just going to go slowly and get used to things and learn.... that learning curve is steep. Today, I only found out about wi-fi for the drone talking to the controller. I caused laughter because I asked whose wi-fi you connected to when you were out in order for that communication to work. I still don't really understand how you can have wi-fi without having a wi-fi network to join to.

Anyway, the next stage is to get a screen that goes in the controller. Anyone who suggests I have to spend £200 on a 'screen thing' will be taken out and burned with pitchforks. I do not have that kind of money, regardless of how much better it might be, if you haven't got the cash left you cannot buy it and I WILL NOT BORROW MONEY, ever. Never have, never will. Not for a car, not anything.

So, what 'tablet' thing would be a good screen to get for running the Air with - it won't be used for anything else, purely as a controller screen. The main reason for this is I won't have a clue how it works. I have never seen one in use, I have seen other people using them, at a distance, but I have never looked at one. I think the controller takes an 8" screen and it fits in the holder arms. Maybe someone who has a Mavic Air will know what size screen fits without having to have another holder attached and can advise what I should start looking for. I don't have a mobile phone that has a screen that I can use with it. My mobile phone only does phone calls and texts, because that is what I use it for, making phone calls.

The videos I have watched talk about 'downloading an App' needed to fly the Mavic Air. GoPro4 or something it is. Does this come in the kit with the drone on a CD? How do you put it on the screeen when I get one?

Lots of questions, as I said it is the start of an entirely new journey for me and one that has already taken me into uncharted territory, so any help and advise will be useful, provided it is positive. I have a budget of £600 for the drone and the screen. I have paid £450 for the drone with 3x sets of spare propellers and 2x spare batteries and hard case. I know where it has come from and it hasn't been used very much or crashed.

Thanks for being patient with me.

ps. A friend is going to give me my first practical tutorial with his Mavic Pro tomorrow evening. I am not going to try to do this by trial and error. He is a pro flyer, and is going to help me do the form filling and everything as well, but he has a load more money than I do... he said get an iPad. I wish I could afford one.

Last edited:
Most recent smartphones will run the app.
You need something reasonably powerful with enough RAM probably 2GB minimum so beware of budget tablets.
The ipad mini (I think) is usually recommended but I don't have anything apple I just use a £100 Chinese Android phone

You download the app from DJI website or other places such as google play store - direct to the device over wifi usually.
https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/products/mavic-air

Usually you won't be able to use it without having a (free) DJI account and registering it. A used one might work really not sure but you must have the app to operate safely ad make various changes o camera and flight settings.
After registering you don't need to be online except perhaps to download mapping for the app if you're in a new area.
It should all be much easier than you are imagining when you see the Mavic Pro in use.

@Lensflare

You need a smartphone or tablet, not a screen. The app has to run on a phone to talk to the drone. Whilst you can wirelessly connect the phone to the controller, I would recommend using the supplied cable as it gives a more stable connection. The phone/tablet also uses its gps to locate the drone, show the live map, and allows the changing of settings etc. The drone is useless without a smartphone I’m afraid.
Any recent ish iPhone or android phone will do.

Last edited:
Most recent smartphones will run the app.
You need something reasonably powerful with enough RAM probably 2GB minimum so beware of budget tablets.
The ipad mini (I think) is usually recommended but I don't have anything apple I just use a £100 Chinese Android phone

You download the app from DJI website or other places such as google play store - direct to the device over wifi usually.
https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/products/mavic-air

Usually you won't be able to use it without having a (free) DJI account and registering it. A used one might work really not sure but you must have the app to operate safely ad make various changes o camera and flight settings.
After registering you don't need to be online except perhaps to download mapping for the app if you're in a new area.
It should all be much easier than you are imagining when you see the Mavic Pro in use.

What do you mean by download mapping please?

@Lensflare

You need a smartphone or tablet, not a screen. The app has to run on a phone to talk to the drone. Whilst you can wirelessly connect the phone to the controller, I would recommend using the supplied cable as it gives a more stable connection. The phone/tablet also uses its gps to locate the drone, show the live map, and allows the changing of settings etc. The drone is useless without a smartphone I’m afraid.
Any recent ish iPhone or android phone will do.

Does that mean you have to use your internet allowance when you are flying the drone? I don't use any of it, I have never had a phone that can do internet but I get 2MB on my contract for the phone.

I am more confused now than ever. I was told that you only need one of these to use the screen to see the controls and do the settings. Does the phone contact the flight centre or something?
I am up late because I have been trying to watch as many instructional videos as possible. I have got the settings written down, shutter speed at 1/60 and video at 30. And some settings for the stick controls to slow everything down and make it smoother and easier to fly so it doesn't jump about so fast.

Last edited:
Does that mean you have to use your internet allowance when you are flying the drone? I don't use any of it, I have never had a phone that can do internet but I get 2MB on my contract for the phone.

I am more confused now than ever. I was told that you only need one of these to use the screen to see the controls and do the settings. Does the phone contact the flight centre or something?
I am up late because I have been trying to watch as many instructional videos as possible. I have got the settings written down, shutter speed at 1/60 and video at 30. And some settings for the stick controls to slow everything down and make it smoother and easier to fly so it doesn't jump about so fast.

Dont under any circumstances put your drone in the air! You have a lot of,learning to do, and i mean a lot.....

You must have a phone or tablet that runs the dji app, already been mentioned,
You must have a DJI account and be logged in or you get restricted flight (check this it may have changed)
You must register it, all be it not until November now.
You have to ensure all firmware etc is up to date. (check this at home before you got out, upgrades in the field are bad)
You will no doubt have severe flying restrictions in your area that you must know about, there are rules you must follow.
You need to know the app And flight controls inside out, if it goes tits up in flight, you will not have time to come on here and ask how to recover your drone from a nose dive into planet earth.....
wait Until you get a good gps lock before taking off, home point set correctly.

the list is a long one, but I will stop there.....

Now it all looks daunting, but it’s not, but so far from your posts it seems you are not prepared, if your friend has one and knows the rules and can fly, then It’s a 30min training session.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
I am going for an hour or so tonight for my first tuition. I probably can't go to fetch my drone for a week yet, but I need to know what 'screen' machine to buy for running it. I don't understand any of these smart phone things, I have never had one. That was what I was asking about - what can I buy that isn't going to be expensive, I have seen the price of iPhones and the like and just spilled my coffee when I did - £1000 for an iPhone 10 or X or something. I just laughed. My phone cost me £9.99 about 6 or 7 years ago and it is still perfectly good. It keeps my numbers in a list, it phones, it sends texts... and they can come inwards too. That is all I have ever needed, until now I need something I can JUST USE FOR THE DRONE. It will be kept solely for that, which is why I don't want to spend too much, but it needs to be a bigger one from what I have been told, 8" screen is better than 4" screen, they all say that - but every you tube video thinks the viewer is starting from a much higher point on the techy side of it.

For instance, you say it has to be able download the APP, and it has to have GPS. Does that mean I have to buy a subscription from somewhere to run these things? I have a marine GPS I use as backup, that has GPS, very good GPS, and it works anywhere in the world provided the batteries have power and I don't have to subscribe to Garmin for it to work. Is the 'tablet', because that I think is what I will need for the screen size, the same - it will work just as a viewing screen and get the other stuff on it?

Last edited:
I am going for an hour or so tonight for my first tuition. I probably can't go to fetch my drone for a week yet, but I need to know what 'screen' machine to buy for running it. I don't understand any of these smart phone things, I have never had one. That was what I was asking about - what can I buy that isn't going to be expensive, I have seen the price of iPhones and the like and just spilled my coffee when I did - £1000 for an iPhone 10 or X or something. I just laughed. My phone cost me £9.99 about 6 or 7 years ago and it is still perfectly good. It keeps my numbers in a list, it phones, it sends texts... and they can come inwards too. That is all I have ever needed, until now I need something I can JUST USE FOR THE DRONE. It will be kept solely for that, which is why I don't want to spend too much, but it needs to be a bigger one from what I have been told, 8" screen is better than 4" screen, they all say that - but every you tube video thinks the viewer is starting from a much higher point on the techy side of it.

For instance, you say it has to be able download the APP, and it has to have GPS. Does that mean I have to buy a subscription from somewhere to run these things? I have a marine GPS I use as backup, that has GPS, very good GPS, and it works anywhere in the world provided the batteries have power and I don't have to subscribe to Garmin for it to work. Is the 'tablet', because that I think is what I will need for the screen size, the same - it will work just as a viewing screen and get the other stuff on it?

Supported Mobile Devices
iOS V 4.3.32
Requires iOS 9.0 or above.
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4

Android V 4.3.32
Requires Android 5.0 or above.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T
*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

Last edited:
You don't need an 8" screen, admittedly it's nice to see a bigger image but the resolution on a typical phone is perfectly OK and more manageable to hold when clipped into the controller.
You might consider something like a refurbished samsung S7 from ebay about £100, people are constantly trading in their phones you might find a good one under £50.

Note you don't even need a sim card you can do everything needed connected to wifi at home.
Downloading maps - when the app knows where you are from GPS it will download a local area and that will be saved.
You don't actually need to ask it to do it but it will need to be on wifi or mobile data.

You can manage without mapping but it's very useful to be able to relate where you think it is to landmarks on your screen map.
Also it's important when you start motors to note that the announced home point - also shown on map - is correct, and the arrow indicating which way drone is pointing is roughly right too.

Thanks - a friend has suggested a used Samsung S9, because it is waterproof, which will be handy on th eboats and he says the camera on it is very good too!

I just got my first drone - Mavic Air 2 fly more. Very very impressed so far. It is extremely controllable, the video feed to my phone is excellent, and the subject tracking works very well. I still have to get through all the various camera modes and I’ve started to play with manual exposures and the ND filters that come with the fly more kit. The video I’ve had out of it so far looks great. I think the variable aperture of the Pro would be useful though, but you can always spend the additional £££s and buy that instead.

I definitely recommend more than one battery. The kit comes with three of them and I’m using all three per session at the moment. As per above, it’s recommended that you charge each battery individually first time to activate them, rather than putting all three in the triple charger. There are instructions on the unit to do this.

Well that was easy enough. I took the theory test tonight and got 20/20 and all I have done is ask daft questions - but then I used my noddle when answering. I took some notes and wrote them in my flying logbook (notebook in readiness) but I didn't have to refer to any of them. What iis the point in the test? I suppose it confirms you have read some of the bumpf. Far too easy I think.

Anyway, I am planning on going and getting my Mavic Air tomorrow. Then I will find the screen for the controller next week, whatever I end up with. Then flying lessons begin. meanwhile, I shall continue to watch and read as much as I can... is there a book, not an online manual, that I can get. Looking at the screen for more than half hour or so hurts my eyes. I don't like reading on a backlit screen, it is far more relaxing reading reflected light from a page than transmitted light from a screen - and I suspect it is far better for you too.

Your best option is to watch DJI online tutorials here:
https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-air/info#video
The videos aren't very long.
There are helpful forums such as Mavicpilots.com but you might get put off reading various tales of disaster - which should not happen to you if you understand it fully.

A very common 'mistake' is impatiently trying to fly in a tight back yard or garden - or even indoors - for the very first flight. Or when it's too windy.
You want to be well out in the open, and go up to about 100 feet above any obstacles then just fly slowly around steering by gently turning as you go.
Smooth movements are all about using both sticks in a very controlled steady way.
A second common issue is getting over confident after a couple of flights because it seems so easy.
- going too fast, too far, too high, then getting befuddled as moving left 'becomes' right after you turned round, or disorientated when suddenly you don't really recognise what you are seeing on screen. It can sometimes feel like the drone is moving when it's not, or not responding when it is. Usually this is owner error and it is responding correctly - to the inputs being given (!)

Last edited:
Back