The General Drone-Related Thread

going back to usage of drones

We were on the beach at sunset as Cafe Mor filmed their end of season video using a drone, having carried a piano to the beach at sunset
29921111567_3118080360_z.jpg

29921105767_eb80ef6b37_z.jpg

Video...
View: https://en-gb.facebook.com/PemBeachFood/videos/171697073775786/

Last edited:
Climate change/animal right's groups operate on fear and intimidation.

The ‘ought to be f*****g obvious’ argument here is that disruption caused by activists is done for publicity of the cause, ie the publicity is the important bit, not the disruption, just like terrorism, the point is the message, not the act itself.

And a week in, no political group has even come close to claiming responsibility or even supporting the ‘protest’ but keeping a distance, it remains a theory, that some half wit dreamt up.

The ‘ought to be f*****g obvious’ argument here is that disruption caused by activists is done for publicity of the cause, ie the publicity is the important bit, not the disruption, just like terrorism, the point is the message, not the act itself.

I don't agree. The methods are violent and intimidating and are designed to cause as much fear and chaos as possible.

And a week in, no political group has even come close to claiming responsibility or even supporting the ‘protest’ but keeping a distance, it remains a theory, that some half wit dreamt up.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a political group. They might be planning more.

I don't agree. The methods are violent and intimidating and are designed to cause as much fear and chaos as possible.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a political group. They might be planning more.

So, any links whatsoever to ‘protests’ in the past where the protesters chose not to use the protest to further their cause?

Seriously this is full on conspiracy theorist b****x.

So, any links whatsoever to ‘protests’ in the past where the protesters chose not to use the protest to further their cause?

Seriously this is full on conspiracy theorist b****x.
I’m not saying this is likely but it would fit the M.O. of the Russkies who have been doing stuff anonymously to spread dissension and confusion without a definite objective — eg they seem to have “supported” both sides in the US presidential election.

I’m not saying this is likely but it would fit the M.O. of the Russkies who have been doing stuff anonymously to spread dissension and confusion without a definite objective — eg they seem to have “supported” both sides in the US presidential election.

I’m not saying I agree with you, but this kind of behaviour fits a ‘disruptive power’ much better than it fits a group of climate change activists.

For the spark owners here, do the batteries need to be attached to drone to charge. Jessops doing a good deal of 399 which includes spare battery and the care package. It makes the 489 package look poor value as 90 for some prop guards and battery hub.

Is there a spark v2 on the cards anytime soon??

The fact that a week later we have no claims of responsibility is weird. You’d expect some claim of success.

Maybe they are keeping their powder dry for something at loads of airports at a busy time of year and Gatwick was just proof of concept.
Or maybe it was blown out of all proportion

For the spark owners here, do the batteries need to be attached to drone to charge. Jessops doing a good deal of 399 which includes spare battery and the care package. It makes the 489 package look poor value as 90 for some prop guards and battery hub.

I too would now like to know this, had assumed they could be charged on AND off the drone but be good to clarify.
I've been looking at the Jessops deal too! That or used Mavic Air, just don't know how restrictive the lack of RAW images on Spark would be...

It's possible that it was the action of an anti-drone activist....someone who would like to see tighter regulation.

I don't think there is any chance of finding out - it is very very unlikely the Police will catch anyone.

You need the battery hub to charge them off the drone.

Possibly too little and definitely too late - the genies have been out of the bottle for too long. Not sure how the powers-that-be will or can enforce the new rules any better than they did the old ones.

Possibly too little and definitely too late - the genies have been out of the bottle for too long. Not sure how the powers-that-be will or can enforce the new rules any better than they did the old ones.

Another pointless knee-jerk reaction, will not have prevented the Gatwick situation.

Another pointless knee-jerk reaction, will not have prevented the Gatwick situation.
A larger exclusion zone might reduce the number of reported drone airprox incidents though...about 120 of them last year.

Oh ffs!

I firmly believe there never was a drone at Gatwick. It was a mistake.

Who knows about this one?

BBC TV News: Flights suspended, but no official statements or concrete evidence of drones so far.

Oh ffs!

There was definitely a drone at Gatwick, I guess the authorities have their reasons for not releasing footage, but it was certainly a real incident, and not a mistake.

I'd be happy to change my view if presented with solid evidence.

How do you know?
I can't say too much on a public forum, but suffice to say there is evidence out there, and hopefully at some point it will be released. At present there is a lot of work going on in the background to look at the best ways of protecting aircraft from these things, and as have been reported some of the powers have already been amended due to the rules surrounding aircraft.

I said as it was happening that something wasn't right. Check back further in this thread.

Mass delusions, often sparked by a mistake from an authority figure, in this case an ATC perhaps, are not that uncommon.

Over and above that, it's not for me to explain anything. I have my view. I will maintain that view until convinced otherwise by solid evidence.

I'm not being "awkward" here, just putting my point of view.

I'd be happy to change my view if presented with solid evidence.

How do you know?

There has been no credible evidence, the only drone flying with any certainty was the Police Force drone or drones. The supposed drone seemed to have battery technology unknown to mankind. The whole situation just didn't make any sense at all, except maybe to pilots. Pilots could be replaced entirely by automated flights, remotely controlled from almost anywherein the world, the technology already exists, I watched pilotless jets taking off from the airfield near shell island 50 years ago and military drone aircraft can pinpoint laser bombs on Iraqi bridges almost at will. Wouldn't it be convenient to raise a scare to enure pilots were perceived as indespensible, or am I being too cynical. Tesco bag anyone....

Personally I don't like conspiracy theories. I prefer known, documented phenomena.

This is a nice distraction though.:D

Personally I don't like conspiracy theories.
I love a good one (y)
Perhaps it wasn't a drone after all but one of these UFO thingy's
Hence the silence ?

:D

Fair enough. In the absence of any reason to believe otherwise, I'm going to stick to the boring and widely - reported idea that a drone was there but of course it might all be more complex than any of us really knows... :oops: :$:eek:

BTW I notice the site has changed and I really hate these new emoticons.
Most of the old ones are still there, after the :love:

Oh ffs!

I can't say too much on a public forum, but suffice to say there is evidence out there, and hopefully at some point it will be released. At present there is a lot of work going on in the background to look at the best ways of protecting aircraft from these things, and as have been reported some of the powers have already been amended due to the rules surrounding aircraft.

There has been no credible evidence, the only drone flying with any certainty was the Police Force drone or drones. The supposed drone seemed to have battery technology unknown to mankind. The whole situation just didn't make any sense at all, except maybe to pilots. Pilots could be replaced entirely by automated flights, remotely controlled from almost anywherein the world, the technology already exists, I watched pilotless jets taking off from the airfield near shell island 50 years ago and military drone aircraft can pinpoint laser bombs on Iraqi bridges almost at will. Wouldn't it be convenient to raise a scare to enure pilots were perceived as indespensible, or am I being too cynical. Tesco bag anyone....

I really don't understand why over the last few years the public feel they have any right to see evidence from an on-going criminal investigation. Seriously, where did that notion come from? It seems now everybody feels entitled to scrutinise the evidence to make up their own mind in advance of any formal prosecution and verdict read out in court. Drives me up the wall.

In other news, anyone interested in the new DJI Smart Controller for the Mavic 2? Wouldn't mind knowing when retailers will have stock. Want to buy a M2P to replace my Mavic Air, but that controller is sexy and will be cheaper to buy both if bought together.

Back