The General Drone-Related Thread

There's nothing new about forming an opinion based on your own perceptions. I shall continue, as I always have, to not automatically swallow everything I'm told.

I'm sorry if that drives you up the wall.

There's nothing new about forming an opinion based on your own perceptions. I shall continue, as I always have, to not automatically swallow everything I'm told.

I'm sorry if that drives you up the wall.

I didn't say you had to swallow it, but there is such a thing as reserving judgement. You on the other hand say you "firmly believe there was never a drone at Gatwick". Firmly believe, means you have virtually passed judgement...on the basis of diddly squat, with absolutely no evidence to the contrary. You have zero evidence to say there was no drone. You have zero evidence that there was a drone. And yet you've convinced yourself there wasn't. So, yes, please forgive me if that kind of unconfirmed bias drives me up the wall. ;)

Calm down, ffs.

You must have missed the bit where I said I'd be happy to change my view if presented with evidence.

Easy to miss when you're busy climbing walls.

I really don't understand why over the last few years the public feel they have any right to see evidence from an on-going criminal investigation. Seriously, where did that notion come from? It seems now everybody feels entitled to scrutinise the evidence to make up their own mind in advance of any formal prosecution and verdict read out in court.

It's quite simple. It's because the Government seems intent on introducing quite draconian laws based on an element of untruths and hysteria and, quite separate from the final result of any ongoing criminal investigation. The senior Police Officer investigating at Gatwick himself suggested that it was a possiblity there was no drone, before he was re-programmed for being 'off message'. The QinteQ report into drone collisions was staged, so that the javelin shaped object could penetrate a windscreen. The argument didn't stand any scutiny whatsoever, the configuration they chose, a DJI F450, a drone I happen to own, probably could not have left the ground with the overweight battery (10,000 mah!) and then actually reach an aircraft flying at the quoted speed with the strictly weight limited flight duration. We live in a democracy, and if individual rights are to be curtailed, then I expect a proper and balanced assessment by our representatives and nothing less. You also wouldn't be happy if your car was electronically restricted to 50 mph because criminals speed.

The senior Police Officer investigating at Gatwick himself suggested that it was a possiblity there was no drone...

I was told three genetically engineered mice escaped from a laboratory and stole a small helicopter. Hence the secrecy. Mass hysteria would break out if the public got wind of the fact there are mice that can fly aircraft. After all, it could be pigs next. :jawdrop:

Not posted here for quite a while hope everyone’s well. I got the urge for another drone and decided to give the parrot anafi a whirl...anyone else here using or used one?

Not posted here for quite a while hope everyone’s well. I got the urge for another drone and decided to give the parrot anafi a whirl...anyone else here using or used one?

I used one when it first came out. Not a bad drone, the picture quality was good and for wi-fi the range was OK, well better than the Mavic Air. Downsides was the app wasn't that good (probably changed by now), it's a small drone but long meaning it seemed to take up more space in the bag and the controller was a bit bulky.

I guess it depends what you want it for, I always recommend the Mavic 2 Pro but that is a fair bit more expensive.

I got the MA for a steal! but really do want for the M2P with that better camera. I'm kinda hoping we will see a revised MA2 in the near future, but not holding out much hope. So saving loose change from the beer fund to pay for an upgrade .

Ideally would have loved a mavic Pro 2 but bit expensive for me so it was between the mavic air and anafi. I went with the anafi and only had a few short flights but over the moon with it! Much prefer it to my phantom 3 advanced and really like the simplicity of the app.

Drones are here to stay. My newspaper recently ran a story that FedEx is now licensed to use them for deliveries. Wonder if they will be carrying cameras to verify delivery.

Sold my Mavic last month due to little usage, but what a mistake that was.

It's funny, i didn't actually realise how many times I used it, but only for a brief spell, like above, it was in my camera bag and popped it out, took a snap and put it away again

After a bit of advice - I purchased a DJI spark for a friend and have used it a couple of times and love it!

I'm now after a drone for my digital photography and have limited it down to these two:

(1) DJI Mavic 2 pro - Hasselblad developed camera but seen a few reviewers being disappointed with picture quality - are they doing something wrong?

(2) DJI Mavic Air - reviewers state camera is better than original Mavic Pro and the Flymore combo seems really good value.

Will be used for video & photography.

Views greatly appreciated :)

Of those two Mavic 2 Pro is the best for serious photo and video, the Mavic Air is probably easier to carry and pop up quickly and most people will be more than happy with results - yes it is a bit better video than original Mavic, not much in it for stills.
A snag may be with Mavic 2 Pro you want to be using the 10 bit H.265 which requires a decent computer and perhaps a bit more knowledge to get the best from it.
The Mavic 2 is a more substantial and powerful machine with longer flight time and greater range or realistically more robust connection around trees or whatever at close range.
It is also considerably better in borderline strong wind, it's often much more windy than you realise one above trees and buildings.
Don't rule out the Zoom which has some useful tricks, however the 2 Pro has a wide and cropped mode which is practically lossless at 4K due to the larger sensor.

Last edited:
Looking for something a bit different to do with your drone?

Check out the work of Reuben Wu.

If you can afford the M2P, go for it.

If you get the Air, after a while, you will only wish you had got the M2P in the first place.

I've had my M2P for well over a year and it's a great bit of kit.

Don't agree there at all. I could have got the M2P, but decided on the air, and it does Everything I need it too, and have no desire to change it.

It shoots 4k at 100mbs same as the M2P aswell.

Yes the flight time is bit better, for the money you sav with the air, buy some extra batteries!

Don't agree there at all. I could have got the M2P, but decided on the air, and it does Everything I need it too, and have no desire to change it.

It shoots 4k at 100mbs same as the M2P aswell.

Yes the flight time is bit better, for the money you sav with the air, buy some extra batteries!

Time will tell for the OP.

I await with keen interest

I recently got the Phantom 4, hardly used with two extra batteries for a good price.

Now all I need is for the wind to stop blowing to give me a chance to get out and practice flying it properly instead of flying it with the GPS all the time.

BTW Fraser - there's a Mavic Air in Classifieds for only £600.00 and it's only logged 44 minutes flight time.

The new Mavic Mini looks awesome!!!

Good battery life, really small and portable... tempted!

It does look good and I'm tempted.
The main point of the Mavic Mini is that it falls under the 250g limit, meaning you don't need to do a full drone pilot training course to fly it.
As of 30th November 2019 you'll need to register to pilot a drone that weighs between 250g and 20kg:

"Anyone responsible for a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to register as an operator. The cost for this will be £9 (down from the initial £16) and is renewable annually.

Anyone flying a drone or unmanned aircraft (including model aircraft) weighing between 250g and 20kg will need to take and pass an online education package. This is included in the registration fee and renewable every three years."
https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Our-role/Drone-and-model-aircraft-registration/

So basically any owner of a Spark/Mavic/Phantom will need to register.

I was tempted by the Spark so I'm even more tempted by the Mini!

Seems cheap enough to go with the Fly More combo but just to justify it even more and not spend on something that may not get used that often I'm thinking that the 30 min flight time would be good on just one battery, a little usb charge between sites and voila.

Anybody with experience able to say just how much having all the other extras saved them?

My other question that I've been googling lately is about where I can use it. I see things about certain distance from people and airports etc but is there a definitive site I should be reading about this?

I was tempted by the Spark so I'm even more tempted by the Mini!

Seems cheap enough to go with the Fly More combo but just to justify it even more and not spend on something that may not get used that often I'm thinking that the 30 min flight time would be good on just one battery, a little usb charge between sites and voila.

Anybody with experience able to say just how much having all the other extras saved them?

My other question that I've been googling lately is about where I can use it. I see things about certain distance from people and airports etc but is there a definitive site I should be reading about this?

All the info is here

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code

This is why they’ve brought the whole registration thing in, so people learn the rules.. trouble is, most people probably won’t bother and just fly where they like anyway.

Anyone had issues get the CAA site to accept the code emailed so you can register?

Tried 4 times with 4 different codes and always says incorrect code.

Infuriating.

I have no issues with then having my name. It should be regulated in my opinion as it could be a dangerous hobby.

But if it's about safety then the questions really should have been more taxing.

Anyone got a Mavic Mini yet?
No but they are a good buy, video and stills hard to fault but no raw dng.
Much more capable than you would think from the small size.
There is very little manual control of the camera just EV compensation.

Back