The General Drone-Related Thread

It arrived, identical to the Air 2 other than the size of the camera and where the front of the body houses the additional sensors.

Biggest reason for me upgrading is the variable focus and the increased ISO performance.

Wedding on Saturday so it'll get used then

Starting to get to grips with the editing thing.... but not the uploading on here. It is still fuzzy when put up, but sharp as a tack in real life.

Blore Hall.LR-0210.jpg

Starting to get to grips with the editing thing.... but not the uploading on here. It is still fuzzy when put up, but sharp as a tack in real life.

View attachment 317165
You will need to upload to a hosting site like Flickr, then put the link in the post, normally copy and paste the BBcode from the share menu on Flickr

It arrived, identical to the Air 2 other than the size of the camera and where the front of the body houses the additional sensors.

Biggest reason for me upgrading is the variable focus and the increased ISO performance.

Wedding on Saturday so it'll get used then
Hopefully you can share some images. I'll be waiting for the CE marked models to start coming on the market before upgrading my MA2.

Croxden Abbey, another of the great abbeys that was destroyed by King Henry VIII. The outline on the ground of other buildings can be seen quite clearly.

Croxden Abbey.LR-0280.jpg

You will need to upload to a hosting site like Flickr, then put the link in the post, normally copy and paste the BBcode from the share menu on Flickr

Thanks. I don't have flickr, or anything else. I keep my pictures at home on hard drives. That way I can't be held to ransom again (photobucket put me right off hosted storage forever).

Thanks. I don't have flickr, or anything else. I keep my pictures at home on hard drives. That way I can't be held to ransom again (photobucket put me right off hosted storage forever).

You keep them on your hard drive too, they don’t vanish once you’ve uploaded them. Just makes sharing to places much easier and people can see the full res versions. No ransoms, if flickr shuts down or becomes a paywall, then you just don’t use it anymore.
I used to have 10k plus photos on there, they then introduced a limit on the free account and you could only go above it if you paid.. I’m not paying, so most of those photos have gone, but I still have them on my various hard drives, so it’s no big issue.

I have normally use a Phantom 4 Pro for work but have recently brought a Mini 2 to benefit from the new sub 250g regulations, where the Phantom is too heavy to use without a serious load of additional paperwork. I was out last week shooting some test footage to see how they footage from the 2 cameras would work together.

The main differences were the Mini has a load of sharpening applied which I don't like. It looks particularly bad on things like brickwork. Also the over sharpening emphasises the image noise which isn't helpful. I have applied a bit of blur to the Mini footage in post to try and match the un-sharpened/less noisy Phantom footage. It would be much nicer if DJI gave you the option to reduce the sharpness. I would normally use ND filters on the Phantom to introduce a bit of motion blur but left them off in this case as I don't want to fit them to the Mini. I think the fact that DJI don't sell filters for the Mini suggests that the gimbal isn't up to the extra weight. The Mini's Cine mode is fairly rubbish with a speed of 5m/s and controls that are still very responsive compared to the Phantom's 1m/s combined with the reduced control sensitivity which makes it much easier to fly smoothly.

If you want to fly within the law in the UK the Mini 2 must be the most versatile drone you can buy at the moment. I have been very impressed with it so far and if it was looking to own 1 drone it would definitely be the Mini 2.

Was going to keep the Air 2 as a back up to the 2s, but think I'm just going to sell it. Can't see it every being flown unless I totally brick my 2s

I know what you mean, but I still use my Air, I am keeping it for when I am fishing and for out in the little boat, if i lose it at sea, it is less of a loss that way!

This was shot on it. Me out fishing. Set the drone up, put it to take shots every 5 seconds.... hope to get one, possibly two, good shots. Chuck the rest away.

Ullswater.LR-0855.jpg

Testing the long exposure capability... 21 shots merged, each frame was a 2 second exposure. On reflection I should, maybe, have increased the ISO to 200 (goes against the grain) and had the luxury of a 1-second shutter speed. Maybe I will try it and see how much fall off there is by increasing the ISO.

Uttoxeter-twilight.pano.LR2-.jpg

Buy the Mini 2 now or wait until Aug/Sept/Oct for the Mini 3. Someone help me please... you're my only hope.

Cheers
DronelessBoy

If you wait for the mini 3, the mini 4 will be soon after, so you might as well wait for that then the 5,6,7..

Get what’s available now, not what might be in the future.

Are there any necessary accessories I may need? I got the Fly More pack.

There are a lot of accessories out there that are pretty rubbish, so I havent really bothered to be honest. The only 'must haves' in my opinion, have been some ND Filters (Freewell and Skyreat are good), and a take-off/Landing pad for when the area you which to fly from is either wet, muddy, long grass etc.

If you wait for the mini 3, the mini 4 will be soon after, so you might as well wait for that then the 5,6,7..

Get what’s available now, not what might be in the future.

Not if there is a new model out soon and you dont NEED it now.

I would like a new Macbook, in no rush so will see what happens with new ones as some decent changes coming possibly.

Same with a drone - say an Air 2 in classifieds on here but sticking with Mini for now. 2 is tempting (RAW mainly) but would like more MP, so maybe the 3 will give something better!

Are there any necessary accessories I may need? I got the Fly More pack.

A landing mat (£10 Amazon) has been useful on gravel and long grass - and a lanyard type strap for the controller so when not using you still have 2 hands free. Aside from that and labels for the ID & A2CofC card, cant think of anything else.

Not if there is a new model out soon and you dont NEED it now.

I would like a new Macbook, in no rush so will see what happens with new ones as some decent changes coming possibly.

Same with a drone - say an Air 2 in classifieds on here but sticking with Mini for now. 2 is tempting (RAW mainly) but would like more MP, so maybe the 3 will give something better!

We don’t know when or if the mini 3 will be out though. The mini 2 only came out a while ago, it’s hardly old.

Reactions: RIR
Grumble grumble grumble...

I was up at The Roaches in the Peak District for the weekend. I considered taking my new drone, but I knew the Peak District authority doesn't allow drones to be flown without permission, and this isn't granted during March - August due to bird nesting. It's pretty common knowledge you're not meant to fly drones in the Peak, and ignorance is no excuse.

Then over the course of 3 days, saw about 6 drones flying all over the place.

So when I return next year, do I ignore the rules as everyone else seems to, or sit there, in the beautiful evening light feeling self-righteous?

The Peak District Authority won't have any particular power to regulate air traffic.
It's just a National Park Authority I'd be surprised if they even own any land apart from maybe a tourist information centre.

I mean, it's very much "Don't fly drones without permission, and we're not likely to give permission in March - August", and they are the land owners of the Roaches Estate, which comprises the Roaches and Hen Cloud.

I'll just bring my drone next time.

I mean, it's very much "Don't fly drones without permission, and we're not likely to give permission in March - August", and they are the land owners of the Roaches Estate, which comprises the Roaches and Hen Cloud.

I'll just bring my drone next time.

Yep, I would - but be aware that the valley looking down to Tittesworth from the roaches crag is a flight path and there is the military training area across the road behind you! I flew but it comes up with 'do you really want to fly here?' You have to accept all responsibility before it will let you take off.

Yep, I would - but be aware that the valley looking down to Tittesworth from the roaches crag is a flight path and there is the military training area across the road behind you! I flew but it comes up with 'do you really want to fly here?' You have to accept all responsibility before it will let you take off.
I climb there at least once a year, and have never seen/heard any flight training...

I climb there at least once a year, and have never seen/heard any flight training...

I go up there several times a month, it is a good ride through the lanes up that way and some tracks, like the ride down to 3 shires head.... across to Longnor, where I have some fishing.... the valley to the west of the Roaches is a well used general aviation flight path. A friend has a runway on Axe Edge, he has an Antonov that he uses for aerobatics amongst other aircraft.

Huh - perhaps as we always go on BH weekends they suspend flights then? Anyhoo... Already booked in for next year, love it there

Mini 2 picked up today (anyone want a mini in great condition check out classifieds!!)

So, torn between Coverdrone and DJI refresh - had refresh on mini but never used it. Cost is 45 for DJI and 50 for coverdrone so basically the same. With DJI it will cost me around 50 for a new drone or 200 if i can't retrieve it. Coverdrone is £100. So I guess it what is more likely... losing the drone or just crashing!

Back