The Going To The Cinema & General Film Thread

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Seen any good films recently?

What are you going to see over the days to come?

Have to say that I loathe going to the cinema. Uncomfortable seats, volume usually to high or low, dirty, full of plebs, no way to pause if a comfort break is needed, expensive, too much background noise and many other reasons. Far prefer the comfort of my own chair and conveniences of my own home. So, I have to wait a year or 2 for a film - not a problem for me!

Saw PAN at the weekend with family and friends and left the cinema feeling I had NOT been robbed so it must have been ok....:clap:

However I did look at the prices on the sweets and popcorn and baulked........people all lining up to buy it too!

Macbeth was good. Cinematorgraphy was superb and well-acted too.

Want to go and see The Lobster as well, plus Bond is a given. Less excited by the new Star Wars movie coming up - that franchise still has to earn back my trust after the Phantom Menace debacle.

Have to say that I loathe going to the cinema. Uncomfortable seats, volume usually to high or low, dirty, full of plebs, no way to pause if a comfort break is needed, expensive, too much background noise and many other reasons. Far prefer the comfort of my own chair and conveniences of my own home. So, I have to wait a year or 2 for a film - not a problem for me!
Not sure if you have any Showcase cinemas near you, but their seats are very roomy.

Not sure if you have any Showcase cinemas near you, but their seats are very roomy.
Ditto Picturehouse. My local is the Brixton Ritzy - nice cinema, with decent drinks you can take through to the screen! :banana::beer:

Cheapest adult ticket is £6.45 (and that's weekday daytime), so if Mrs Nod and I both go, that's the thick end of £13. Lob in parking, snacks, drinks etc. and you're well over Blu-Ray disk prices with all the benefits that home viewing has over any cinema. Yet to see a film that IMO needs a bigger screen than a decent sized TV.

Cheapest adult ticket is £6.45 (and that's weekday daytime), so if Mrs Nod and I both go, that's the thick end of £13. Lob in parking, snacks, drinks etc. and you're well over Blu-Ray disk prices with all the benefits that home viewing has over any cinema. Yet to see a film that IMO needs a bigger screen than a decent sized TV.

Gravity without doubt needs the cinema experience.

Saw the NT Live Hamlet with Benedict Cumberbatch last week. Brilliant.

Quite the opposite of Nod, I love the cinema. Love the experience of the big screen and being lost in a great movie for a couple of hours. Off to see BBTF II tomorrow and really looking forward to watching Hateful 8 in December, projected on 70mm film!! That's going to be pretty special.

In YOUR opinion. In mine, the only one that needs even surround sound is Saving Private Ryan and even that doesn't need surround after the landing scenes.

Not sure if it will sway you...

But you can get half price tickets every Tuesday or Wednesday with 'Meerkat Movies'. You just need to buy any form of insurance through their website. I purchased a days holiday insurance in the UK for around £1.50.

cinema is a great experience if you don't have a nice big TV and good sound system, personally I will go and see a film that I feel deserves the big screen exoerience, and enjoy it at home when the Blu-ray lands.

When I saw 2001 on the big screen (having watched it 3 times on TV before) it made a difference.
I think any film with excellent cinematography deserves a big screen - for example, a big open landscape needs a big screen to carry it off. Glad I saw Macbeth on a big screen - those landscapes deserved it.

I really want to watch Ben Wheatley's new film high-rise.

Is your real name Victor Meldrew by any chance? :p:p

well i just cracked and booked a ticket for star wars at Leicester Square. I dont normally go due to all the plums chatting away and waving their phones around but i think this movie is worth the risk. Ive got a front row seat on one of the balconies so at least i wont have annoying people in front of me!

I've currently got opening day tickets booked for both the new Bond and for the new Hunger Games, and yesterday I booked tickets to go see Star Wars at midnight on opening day too :runaway:

I love the cinema; it's a pretty cheap way to spend the evening (well, it can be), and cineworld let you take your own food and drinks now too so it's even better :D

December is going to be awesome for me at the cinema. Star Wars and then Hateful 8 a week later. I love Tarantino movies and they are made with cinema as the main outlet. Django Unchained was so good to watch at the cinema, as was the Dark Knight Rises (to name some of my favorite latest releases).

I really don't feel that £8-10 is that expensive either for that experience but understand that some feel differently.

Did I mention I'm watching hateful 8 projected from 70mm film?! (I know I already did but it's worth mentioning again I feel!)

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Cineworld is £12.70 for a 3D film now :O Pretty crazy considering you can get the DVD for that, and you can watch that as many times as you want :LOL:

I've had a Cineworld Unlimited card for the last 8 years so it's a lot cheaper. I pay £16 or so a month and I can go as many times as I want (think my record is 5 times in a week :D ). Plus You get 25% off food in the cinema too :D You can even use it in conjunction with Meerkat Movies (and Orange Wednesdays before they axed it) so you can get a mate in for free on certain days too

My local Cineworld is £12.70 for a 3D film now :O Pretty crazy considering you can get the DVD for that, and you can watch that as many times as you want :LOL:

I've had a Cineworld Unlimited card for the last 8 years so it's a lot cheaper. I pay £16 or so a month and I can go as many times as I want (think my record is 5 times in a week :D ). Plus You get 25% off food in the cinema too :D You can even use it in conjunction with Meerkat Movies (and Orange Wednesdays before they axed it) so you can get a mate in for free on certain days too
The cards are great value. I wish they had a family card and sack off our TV package.

cinema is a great experience if you don't have a nice big TV and good sound system, personally I will go and see a film that I feel deserves the big screen exoerience, and enjoy it at home when the Blu-ray lands.

I am not a massive cinema fan, I love the theatre but not the cinema.. I do agree with your comment though some films (mainly sci fi for me) deserve the big screen experience.

The cards are great value. I wish they had a family card and sack off our TV package.

I had the Cineworld card too....and definitely worthwhile....massively sometimes.
I'd imagine a family pass a long the same lines would be HUGELY popular.

Back