The Going To The Cinema & General Film Thread

Gonna book The Hateful 8, and see it in The Gallery. I've never tried it, but we'll see if it's worth the money.

Very rarely go to the cinema, never seems to have the atmosphere from when I was a child. Easier to wait for the dvd and get the projector out.

Reactions: Nod
Watched the Hateful Eight.......crap

Where did you watch it out of interest as its not out until the 8th in the U.K.

Im off to London to watch the 70mm roadshow version.

I watched The Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking) and The Immitation Game (Alan Turing) at home over Christmas.

Both very enjoyable, especially if you've been to Bletchley and/or have an interest in that kind of thing.

Went to see "Joy" at Cineworld a few days ago. Was pretty enjoyable. Whilst it's not the most exciting topic ever, it made a change to watch a film that wasn't some sort of fantasy for the film maker about sex drugs or violence.

Also the Revenant in HD and it is an amazing film!
Epic

Amazon fire stick with Kodi on it.
Saw it in HD

Wasn't a fan then?

Quality wise, I'm expecting the 70mm projection to blow a thing available at home out of the water. Of course that doesn't make up for a lack of story etc and it does have a few mixed reviews but Tarantino stuff can be very love it or hate it.

I like tarantino's films but in my opinion it's weak,same old stuff that's been seen before.nothing new in it format wise.

Recently watched Kingsmam: The Secret Service, what a pile of cr@p

Over 2 hours of my life wasted

Booked to see The Hateful 8 on Sunday. Gonna see it in the Gallery. I've not done that before.

Booked to see The Hateful 8 on Sunday. Gonna see it in the Gallery. I've not done that before.

I'm guessing just the normal version then? The roadshow one is only on at Odeon, Leicester Square. [emoji20] it's the most expensive cinema trip I'll ever have done. Ha.

So, the Hateful Eight is out today and I have been reading a few of the UK reviews which I am guessing would have gotten a preview last night. They are largely favourable and have made me even more excited for the roadshow experience tomorrow!

I think having an intermission will make the movie different to anything I have ever seen as apparently things start to really get going just before the break, which then gives you time to chat about what just happened and what's to come. Also, I really don't think watching a pirated copy of this in 1080p HD will do it justice. Some of the reviewers from the U.S. got to watch the 70mm projection back to back with the digital projection and apparently the difference is large.

Looking forward to hearing a review from @Ricardodaforce after this evening. :)

I watched The Theory of Everything (Stephen Hawking) and The Immitation Game (Alan Turing) at home over Christmas.

Both very enjoyable, especially if you've been to Bletchley and/or have an interest in that kind of thing.

The theory of everything was bloody awesome and would definitely see again!!

I have to say I didn't enjoy the theory of everything - focused a bit too much on what he couldn't do, versus what he could in the first third.

The theory of everything was bloody awesome and would definitely see again!!

Yes! Same here. I have it on DVD so it's definitely going to happen sometime soon. :)

One more sleep 'till 3D Star Wars day. :banana:

(Oooo, and Saturday bacon butties first! :banana::banana::banana:)

Sunday night is when I am seeing it. I'm not a great Tarantino fan, but we'll see....

My mistake. Thought I'd read Friday. That'll teach me to not scroll back. So excited for tomorrow. Train to London in the morning!

I saw Star Wars this afternoon and really enjoyed it.

Compared to the earlier re-vamps it was far truer to the essence of the original films. The desolate landscapes alone had me hypnotised from the off. Brilliant.

Well, the Hateful Eight.

What a day yesterday was. 11:28 train from Wigan to London Euston then the tube to Leicester Square to find a massive queue and a buzz of excitement outside the Odeon, as well as SOLD OUT signs on the box office windows. For those of you that don't know, this is the biggest single screen cinema in the U.K. We collected tickets from the box office and then joined the queue to get in. Upon entering, we even got a little programme! :)

This was the first time I have been to this venue and it completely blew any local cinema visits out the water and anything in the future I fear may feel like a step down.

We sat down as the adverts and trailers were playing and you could see the extra real estate of the screen that wasn't currently being used but would be once the film started playing which served as a really good comparison between the digital projection of the trailers and adverts and 70mm projection of the movie, as well as the massive aspect ratio of 2.76:1 of the Hateful Eight. As the last trailer had finished, there was an announcement that it was now time for the main event. The curtains closed over the screen as the lights went up. A few moments of silence and the curtains drew back, the lights went half out and the word 'OVERTURE' appeared on the screen as the 5 minutes of music played. Then the lights went down all the way as the movie began, completely filling the width of this massive screen.

I love Tarantino movies and this was no different for me. I really enjoyed the film and loved the timing of the intermission half way through. The lights went up and it was time for a quick toilet break and then to hear the man announcing that the movie would continue in five minutes. The second half moves a lot quicker than the first half and definitely kept my interest. At the end, the sold out cinema of over 1,200 people applauded as the credits rolled and the lights went up.

What a fantastic day. How anyone can compare watching a pirated copy in 1080p on a 40-50 inch screen to that experience is beyond me. Long live the cinema.

who did compare your viewing to a watching the film on TV?...the film was average in my opinion.....

Saw The Hateful 8 last night and enjoyed. Thought Kurt Russell and Samuel L Jackson were excellent. Seems the the inspiration for the film was John Carpenter's The Thing.

Hmm, I haven't seen any of Tarantino's films since Django. I need to catch up.

just watched the Big Short about the sub prime crash in the USA......very good film.Margot Robbie in a bubble bath helped it too!

Off to see The Room tomorrow. Doesn't seem my kind of thing, but it has some good reviews.

Through Kodi.
I'm a regular cinema user but I also bought a fire stick for my boys.

Through Kodi.
I'm a regular cinema user but I also bought a fire stick for my boys.

Post 83 your words "i rarely go to the cinema theses days"

Fire stick for the boys,its still illegal the way your watching them, your choice,but dont complain if somebody download your photos,and used them for free :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back