The Great Meteorological Thread

My brothers car broke down earlier, had to wait for the rac and they watched the flood water rising whilst trying to fix the car, they ended up having to tow it away to somewhere away from the flood water :eek:

Sod that ! :eek:

Its been raining best part of the day, and I guess we must have had an inch,
but luckilly no flooding, we have so many lakes and balancing lakes
around here that generally, its only the (River) Little Ouse that floods,
and thankfully we still have a lot of "flood plains" too.

Here's of part of my village taken just before dusk today...
We're on top of 800ft of limestone - this is VERY unusual....
I had two separate sets of people ping me to go down there with my camera.
And there is another two days of Met Office Amber Alert for heavy rain still to come :eek:
i-ZMMWL4N-X3.jpg

Apologies to the mods for a repost (it's also in the X10 thread)...

Apologies to the mods for a repost (it's also in the X10 thread)...

No problem (y)

And holy crap :eek:
We are mostly clay here, and would expect water to lay,
but as above, we still have a lot of flood plains too (y)

I drove down the Chichester on Friday and there were floods in several places.
In the car park next to Pulborough Brooks you could just see the roof of a white car oooops

And how you can do the degree sign, Sarah. I've never been able to do that!

Anyway, it is 20 C here as well . . . indoors. I am as snug as a bug in a rug in the warmth of my hobby room.

It can also be found on your computer. All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map. Sixth line down and eleven across, copy and paste = °

It can also be found on your computer. All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map. Sixth line down and eleven across, copy and paste = °

:D Sounds like a lot of faffing about. I could make myself a cup of tea and watch EastEnders in the time it takes to get through that.

Anyway, back to the here and now, regarding flooding issues, indeed it's where the ground is now very heavily saturated - that bit is obvious. However, it's not so much the intensity of the rain but it was where it has been constant and steady in nature in the past few weeks.
Most of England and Wales should get a break from it today as the rain becomes light and patchy in nature - but only very temporarily as another mass of general cloud cover and more persistent rain is set to move in from the Atlantic to affect Southern England tonight and into tomorrow, thus maintaining the flooding and waterlogging issue.

For more details, here's my Cloud Master weather forecast page: http://thecloudmaster.webs.com/

It has been very settled here today compared to yesterday, we have just had a very pleasant sunset to end the day, weather station currently reading 6'c

Last edited:
Am just about to set off on my 10 hour drive north, hopefully escape the south west before more rain arrives.
At least I was able to pack the car in the dry.
Fingers crossed next post will be from the wilds of Scotland.

DuncanDisorderly said:
Am just about to set off on my 10 hour drive north, hopefully escape the south west before more rain arrives.
At least I was able to pack the car in the dry.
Fingers crossed next post will be from the wilds of Scotland.

Have a safe journey Duncan and a very merry Xmas to you and your family

Looking like like Snowdonia is still going to exist into 2013 looks like our trip to the ridge will be moved across then lol

Kevin

Last edited:
May I wish all my fellow TPers and fans of this thread a very Merry New Year!

No214-HappyNewYear.jpg

Happy New Year Ian!

It's raining quite heavily here at Folkestone as the cold front is still over us, but I expect that to clear away in an hour's time.

Then things should settle down and stay dry for the next few days as pressure begin to rise over the UK, especially to the South of the UK.
It won't get properly cold just yet, nor will there be that much in the way of sunshine amounts (low cloud and fog is expected to become a regular feature) but it should come as a relief to those who has had enough of the rain and strong winds anyway.

In other word, it looks like 2013 will start off on a settled and dry note. :)

Hi folks. Happy New Year to you all.

We have just managed to have a dry day here. Something of an event! The fields here are waterlogged though and I have a very wet muddy labrador in my kitchen who has just come back from her walk.

Hi folks. Happy New Year to you all.

We have just managed to have a dry day here. Something of an event! The fields here are waterlogged though and I have a very wet muddy labrador in my kitchen who has just come back from her walk.

Belated Happy New Year, Sue.

At least the next few days are going to be quiet and settled, along with it being mild but it won't necessarily be that sunny. Still, all that should help the rain water to slowly drain away.

A complete contrast to what things were like when I first started this thread!

Had a nice mild and sunny day up in Inverness (y)

We have had a fraction of the rain of our Southern cousins over recent months.

Hi Andrew. Been another dry and overcast day here at Folkestone, although I did get to see the occasional sliver of blueness here and there in the afternoon.

This is my take on yesterday's news of "2012 being the second wettest year" by the Met Office.

No218-Waterlogged.jpg

Last edited:
Late to the party again :D
A great pair of cartoons Ian, Happy new year to one and all (y)

As for the weather, well I make that 2 days without rain now.
My money is on a hosepipe ban by the end of the month :D

Late to the party again :D
A great pair of cartoons Ian, Happy new year to one and all (y)

As for the weather, well I make that 2 days without rain now.
My money is on a hosepipe ban by the end of the month :D

Hi Chris and long time no hear! Indeed, Belated Happy New Year to you and your family as well. (y)
Indeed, two days without any significant rain . . . wonder if we're now reverting to that same dry pattern as what it was like when I first started this thread. :D

Greetings guys and gals.

Had a spot of light rain overnight, but then another incredibly mild day, with the odd outbreak of sunshine. A bit chilly when exposed to the wind.

Last night Inverness was warmer than parts of Greece and Morocco! :cool:

Good evening weather fans (y)

Had an interesting sunset this evening.
As some fog rolled in off the Moray Firth, visibility to the East reduced to 1100 metres.
A rain shower was just passing from the West.
These phenomena led to some rather satisfactory views

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=458229

Awww, you've done well with that one!

Sadly, the last time I got to see proper sunshine in a clear blue sky was the 1st day of January, since then it has been nothing but slate grey cloudy conditions. As a result I am losing the will to live.

I am hoping that the modelled wintry weather for next week should shake things up a bit as I don't think I can face another day staring at nebulous overcast white skies. :puke::D

Saw a bit of sunshine this afternoon, which came as a relief after a very dull, damp and murky morning.

And indeed, winter is now on it's way. Here's my thoughts for the next few days: As things stand, once we get past the wet and windy stuff for England and Wales over the weekend, then the rain should start to turn to sleet and perhaps snow over the hills as we go into Sunday as it slowly turns colder.
Then Monday and Tuesday could see snow flurries running into East England and the South East from the North Sea under a brisk raw cold easterly wind.
By that point, snow amounts are very hard to pin down but there could be some accumulations over the hills before the showers decay away leading to bright and dry conditions later on in the week. It'll stay cold with frost becoming a regular occurrence by night all the same.

Thanks for the up-date Ian (y)
It was around 10oC down in Hampshire today,
Grey and overcast with it.
But driving home, the skies cleared and the temps dropped rapidly.
Cold and clear would be good for a bit, too.
But then again, a little snow will be good for the Whipsnade meet
in about 10 days (y)

We reached a max of 8C today, which is so mild for these parts that I saw a few people out in T-shirts!
The Scotsman newspaper is scaremongering about -20C, which I will believe when I see (feel) it.

Ian, just been to grab my coat out of the car, and it's frosting already.
Shame ai have to go out at this time of night.....Needs must.

Ian, just been to grab my coat out of the car, and it's frosting already.
Shame ai have to go out at this time of night.....Needs must.

Drive safely.

Indeed, it does look winter is set to make a comeback around here at Kent come Sunday through to Tuesday with some snow in the form of showers coming in from the North Sea. How much are expected to fall is still undecided, though.
Even before that, there is the risk of some of the rain turning into as sleet and snow over high ground on Saturday as the cold continental air begin to dig in.

Looking forward to some snow now I don't have to drive to work in it, mind you I do enjoy the challenge (y)
Some decent cold weather might get rid of some of the bugs doing the rounds

We reached a max of 8C today, which is so mild for these parts that I saw a few people out in T-shirts!
The Scotsman newspaper is scaremongering about -20C, which I will believe when I see (feel) it.

T-shirt? 8°? That's warm woolly jumper weather for me :D

Back