The Moon...

Is anyone going to put a dampener on this whole thread and show us that really colourful pic of the moon that was all over the internet last year?

Yeah I know the one you mean, I had it as my desktop wallpaper for ages. Absolutely stunning shot but quite heavily PP'd. It's on my PC at home though, I'll see if I've still got it later

moonshot1-ahem.jpg

(my edit, but not my shot.. CT took it yonks ago)

Is anyone going to show us that really colourful pic of the moon that was all over the internet last year?

Do you mean this one?

Moon_Hypersaturated.jpg

I'm gonna try one of these tonight. Haven't done any moon pics with the D70 yet!

Thats the spirit, anybody else going to have a bash at capturing the moon ?

If I remember, and the light is OK (read, moon is visible and I'm not in bed), I think I may just have a dabble :D

Some great shots your lot. If the sky stays as clear as it is at the moment I might have a go later tonight. What sort of minumum shutter speeds are we talking about to stop blur due to the moon moving? Also is everyone using remote shutters as I have lost mine, so ive had to order a replacement from HK?

Dave there are some stunner's here but wonder if anyone has used a telescope on their camera?

that's what I did! got a little telescope adapter off ebay,
Like this one

These shots were mostly taken on an 8" (or might be 10") Meade telescope on the physics buildings roof at uni. Unfortunatly it's wasn't fully calibrated when i used it so the tracking was slightly off :(

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Can't remember what this was... some messier object...
6.jpg

Slight problem guys, ive just been walking my dogs to find that the moon is at the north west ish and is about to set:( which means there will be no moon tonight again:thumbsdown::crying: !

But i'm sure it will come back :LOL:

Surprisingly you need quite a fast shutter speed as the moon is very bright and i find it more than possible to handhold even at 300mm, obviously longer focal lengths prob need tripod

Well I just wanted to pop out and take a quick shot but it appears clouds have sneakily concealed the entire sky in the last hour.

There was a discussion of moon shots on another (non-photography) site earlier this year and I had said the best way to expose for the moon is to use the sunny 16 rule, as the moon is illuminated in direct sunlight, and take a stop off because of any loss of the reflect light in the atmosphere.

Then my 70-200 lens arrived so I thought it would be an opportunity to try the lens out and also check I had not given bad advice.

This was the result (100% crop) handheld at 280mm (with the Kenko 1.4x t-con) at f/5.6 for 1/500th and ISO 100:

img_4644f.jpg

It impressed me as it meant my advice was actually good!

Was kind of a struggle with the lens though as I was not used to anything that big or heavy and it does not have IS, I am sure it would have produced much better results on a tripod.

The moon is really tricky to get right... And you're aperture is always wrong.

You will be focussing at infinity so just stop down to wherever your lens is sharpest. The only issue with the aperture is ensuring you have a fast enough shutter speed, but with the moon it is only from something like f/16 that becomes a problem, otherwise it makes no creative difference what you use.

What sort of minumum shutter speeds are we talking about to stop blur due to the moon moving?

I think the minimum shutter speed for the moon is 1/30th of a second.

Michael.

Not sure if this will work but here's a link to a shot I took a couple of years ago, taken with a approx 2000mm f/l telescope it's a composite image of 18 frames, to see it full size be warned it's BIG (about 3mb I think), hope you enjoy !

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2469550410101540085npEMDN

Alan

Some really nice original shots of the moon in this thread. Here is a couple from me

Taken in Spain in june.

main.php

400D, Canon 75-300 IS, f/9, ISO100, 1/40s, a tripod and some severe sharpening!

And one taken in the New Forest a couple of weeks ago:

main.php

400D and kit lens, f/8, ISO100, 38s and a tripod.

261737570_13ed08bb6c.jpg

Here's mine. Taken through the eyepiece of my 200mm telescope though, with the Fuji. Waiting for a nice crisp, clear winter's night to try the same with the Canon!

The moons back again everyone, so tonight (or whenever the weather lets you) get your camera's out and take some shots !

I've been waiting for ages since I got my 300mm f4L to have a try at a moon photo with the 2x, hopefully the sky will be clear tonight.

_MG_5815_2.jpg

Damn that thing is hard to photograph.. this is my best effort to date, it doesn't really stack up against previous posts:shake: I only have a 200mm zoom so may need to consider other options for photographing it.

Cheers David, it needed a bit of pp to get there and that's not my strong point so I appreciate the comment.

Great shot there LP. :)
I was going to try again last night but unfortunately the rain came down and the moon went in:annoyed:

Can I be cheekyand ask how you what settings you used to achieve this picture? Mine looks dull in comparison

Great shot there LP. :)
I was going to try again last night but unfortunately the rain came down and the moon went in:annoyed:

Can I be cheekyand ask how you what settings you used to achieve this picture? Mine looks dull in comparison

Thanks Mark, took a while before I got one right, just kept getting a glowing, white blob! :D but the settings on this one were f4 at 1/250 with a two stop down exposure compensation (have I got that right?), focal length 188mm (hhmm I know - a strange number - could've sworn it was 200mm!) with partial metering. I did raise the levels a bit then sharpened it.

heres one I took a while ago: I cropped it very tight as you can see...

Eoghan

moon2.jpg

Thanks LP I'll see what I can get tonight, providing the weather allows.

Some really cool pics in this thread.

Sorry if its been mentioned before (I 've looked and didn't notice) but it is a full moon tonight, hopefully it'll be clear enough to get some shots :)

Rain, clouds...... no moon:shake:

A bit of patience and I got this last night.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/w99/1449364064/]
1449364064_65ef9a93b4.jpg

[/url]

The clouds are a bit pixilated, pp deficiences again, ho hum.

The best I could do on my oly 40 - 150mm lens. Pic taken on the 26th Sept.

Not really processed much (messed around with the black) not sharpened as I don't understand what that means

moon.jpg

Cheers
G

P.s How difficult is it to take a pic of the moon, It really surprised me big time

Some good stuff coming out of this !!! anybody else care to join it ?

Back