The mpb sponsored competition with exciting prizes

I've not seen any of mine for a couple or so days, but hoggy the brave sits under my doorstep.
I've nearly trodden on him more than once.
And that doesn't deter him from feeding either :D
I found some cat food for him, but from a resident expert - is that the best for them? I even managed to have the door open and he was not concerned!

I found some cat food for him, but from a resident expert - is that the best for them?
I use dog food, ( beef) mixed with mealworms & peanuts (not the salted ones).
Just the cheap supermarket stuff around 50p a tin, that lasts about 4 days, unless of course they all turn up :D
They'll also eat raw meat such as beef mince.
They lap it up :)

Not sure about cat food TBH, they don't like fish apparently, and it tends to be more sloppy than dog food, from what I remember
from a few years ago.
That of course may well have changed though.

I use dog food, ( beef) mixed with mealworms & peanuts (not the salted ones).
Just the cheap supermarket stuff around 50p a tin, that lasts about 4 days, unless of course they all turn up :D
They'll also eat raw meat such as beef mince.
They lap it up :)

Not sure about cat food TBH, they don't like fish apparently, and it tends to be more sloppy than dog food, from what I remember
from a few years ago.
That of course may well have changed though.
Great tips - thank you! Cheaper the better so will take a look in Aldi on the weekend!

@stickytape @Cobra
Quick post, cat food is fine, wet or dry, high protein, avoid fish as you've already mentioned plus water (hope I'm not teaching to suck eggs) :)
Very useful thank you! Only gave him the cat food one time as I found it recently (accidentally bought I think!) and coincidently saw the hedgehog late last week, but going forwards will get some dog stuff!

wet or dry,
I got some tiny high protein dry dog food (FOC it was a promotional give away in my local pet store)
They didn't touch it unless its soaked in water till it softens.
And yet they eat peanuts :thinking:

I got some tiny high protein dry dog food (FOC it was a promotional give away in my local pet store)
Maybe hes got dentures? :D

Could be the texture? Biscuits can be very hard, as they are baked to help 'clean' teeth too

Ours turned his nose up at gravy, but will eat dry cat food .. fussy sods :LOL:

I would guess complete dog food is hard, even deliberately so, to exercise their jaws and so on. It always seem pretty hard to me.

Spoiling the ship for a ha’porth of tar, 2 more entries with no equipment shot :(

@moggi1964
@inView
You both have less than an hour to add your equipment image ...

The competition is now closed.
Well done to all that entered.
There have been some very interesting and diverse images posted.
I think the judge, Ian Howorth, will have a tough time selecting the best 3.

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
This would be pretty cool if it were, bi-monthly :)

Nice advertising for MPB, and fun for us ;)

I honestly thought there would have been a lot more entries, the prizes are very generous and it was an open genre competition.
I can think of a reason why - but my comments might be moderated, so I'll refrain from saying anything about anyone that might have spent more time picking holes ( :police: )in the rules of the competition than making the effort to enter :) Oh.. hang on.... Darn it...

Maybe TP will be able to persuade MPB to make it a bit more regular - maybe a monthly comp with a single £250 prize - and then each of the monthly winners goes forward to a final for an annual prize of £1500. That's probably asking a bit much - but it's a thought :)

Having a regular comp judged externally with prizes can never be a bad thing, can it?

This would be pretty cool if it were, bi-monthly :)
I'm sure it would :D

I honestly thought there would have been a lot more entries, the prizes are very generous and it was an open genre competition.
Me also.

I can think of a reason why - but my comments might be moderated,
A lot of people are of the same mind ;)

Having a regular comp judged externally with prizes can never be a bad thing, can it?
Not at all, but as been hinted at, I wonder if mpb could be bothered again, amidst all the negativity from some people.
I'm not sure that I would, if it were me offering the prizes.

But we'll see. :)

Yeah but, No but........yeah but.....you know, a theme like Sunset's, Animals, other stuffs:coat:
Yeah but, ( :D ) as they are a photography equipment sales company, I suspect they are more interested in the tools / toys people use
rather than the resulting image.

Sorry, but a day in the life of your kit just didn't get my juices flowing.
Nothing to do with rules, terms and conditions or cash, just in my case lack of enthusiasm.
Been a bit bloody hot too which didn't help, I sought refuge in an air con hotel the last few days.
Left it blowing day and night at 18c and had no desire to go out taking photos even with the closing date approaching.
Happy watching Le Tour and some other stuff via the Fire Stick also did some reading too.
Few cold beers from the bar, so nice not doing anything like cooking, cleaning or washing up, camera never left its bag.

Last edited:
Yeah but, No but........yeah but.....you know, a theme like Sunset's, Animals, other stuffs:coat:
I wouldn't have entered a competition with a theme.

Unless it had been Sheep. :LOL:

Sorry, but a day in the life of your kit just didn't get my juices flowing.
Nothing to do with rules, terms and conditions or cash, just in my case lack of enthusiasm.
Been a bit bloody hot too which didn't help, I sought refuge in an air con hotel the last few days.
Left it blowing day and night at 18c and had no desire to go out taking photos even with the closing date approaching.
I’m not sure why you would have to go out to compete. A photo taken in the hotel + explanation could have been interesting ;) .

Edit mistyped: “I’m not “

Last edited:
Well it did run for a month, plenty of days to find something.
But of course it wasn't compulsory, just the opportunity to win a £250 voucher.

It sure why you would have to go out to compete. A photo taken in the hotel + explanation could have been interesting ;) .
Absolutely, it could.

Well it did run for a month, plenty of days to find something.
But of course it wasn't compulsory, just the opportunity to win a £250 voucher.

Absolutely, it could.
To be honest I'm not motivated by money. If I fancy taking photos I will and as you say it wasn't compulsory.

Oh dear, same names again moaning, even though they say they don't care about these sort of things, yet still they chip in and whinge away, to be honest as you say, if you are not interested the, just delete your whiney posts and leave us that appreciate this thread to enjoy it, not hard really is it, scroll past and move on.

Last edited:
Oh dear, same names again moaning, even though they say they don't care about these sort of things, yet still they chip in and whinge away, to be honest as you say, if you are not interested the, just delete your whiney posts and leave us that appreciate this thread to enjoy it, not hard really is it, scroll past and move on.
Why are you so sanctimonious?
Just a few posts ago you wanted something more to think about.
Enter as it is and stop whinging, does that ring a bell.
I replied as to why there weren't more entries and said how I felt.
No moaning, so appreciate away and enjoy

Back