The New Top Gear

Agree, complete waste of TV licence fee. Put the show to bed for once for for all. TG is dead long live GT !

The grand tour has been such a disappointment for me, same old jokes every week. And as for celebrity brain crash what a waste of time that is. It's a shame as the actual car reviews/challenges are good but it's the pointless rubbish in between that I find annoying.

Personally for me the Grand Tour has been really awesome to watch because of the videography/cinematography. It's honestly incredible and therefore it's just been so enjoyable to watch it. I agree that some elements like the "Celebrity Brain Crash" are just terrible.

Personally for me the Grand Tour has been really awesome to watch because of the videography/cinematography. It's honestly incredible and therefore it's just been so enjoyable to watch it. I agree that some elements like the "Celebrity Brain Crash" are just terrible.

I completely agree that the videography has been really really good but it's just a little too much fooling around and not enough actual cars for me.

Don't get me wrong I did find lots of it very funny but something's were just dragged out that little bit too much and repeated too often.

I completely agree that the videography has been really really good but it's just a little too much fooling around and not enough actual cars for me.

Don't get me wrong I did find lots of it very funny but something's were just dragged out that little bit too much and repeated too often.

I completely agree!

Fingers crossed!

And me. Good to get back to the 3 presenters rather than the 6 last year, that was simply a mess!

Harris is still a bit wooden.. glad they kept the best bits of old TopGear and got rid of the old Chris Evans let's try to be different nonsense....

A car program rather than a pantomine! Not the best acting skills but what can you do! Rory needs to stop with that dancing and the rest of the team need to stop telling him to stop. Other than that.. not bad! It's not the grand tour or old top gear but it ain't bad either!

I enjoyed it. It felt less like they were trying to be JC et al and finding their own way

I enjoyed it, but found it ironic that Chris Harris was bleating about continuity, yet when the FXXK pulled out of the pits the tyres it had supposedly just had changed still had stickers on them :)

I enjoyed it as well, but tbh it didn't have far to go to be better than how it was with that prat Evans.

I watched it, first time since the original 3 left and I must say I thought it was very poor.
I also watched the first episode of The Grand Tour, well, 15 minutes of it, then turned over.
I'm afraid both programs have had their day for me.

It's better without the ginger but it's paced so slow. It drags. Grand tour is much better. That never feels like an hour. I'm 40 minutes into top gear and it feels like it's been on 2 hours.

I liked it more than most of the Grand Tour (the Namibia specials were excellent but the rest was pretty variable) and much more than the last series.
I hope the writers don't try and force the 3-blokes-bantering angle - just let it develop.
But overall, very promising.

While the latest new look format and line-up seemed a bit better, especially on the production side, it still felt all forced and contrived. I think I might find myself naturally drifting away from it, especially as the subtitles for the hard of hearing was very sketchy (as if it was typed up live) and I'm not really that much of a car lover anyway.

I have to bear in mind that Top Gear has been around for, what, the best part of three decades and has been organic in nature with different presenters coming and going over the years (even Angela Rippon was one). It was only when Jeremy entered as a co-presenter and virtually made the whole thing as his own that TG became more watchable.

I often thought of the Clarkson/May/Hammond line-up as being like The Goodies, as in three odd balls finding themselves in different situations and me being a Goodies fan meant I enjoyed it all. It shouldn't have worked given how planned and scripted the stunts often were . . . but the fact that it all simply just worked anyway is a testament to the success of the original series. They even made something quite dull as driving Peugeot 206s aimlessly around the countryside into something quite funny.

I'm not rich enough to take on an Amazon subscription (I want to keep as few direct debits as I could possibly can) if I want to carry on getting my "classic" TG fix, so being the cheapstake that I am is hoping that The Grand Tour will eventually turn up on Dave. Probably in about five years time or something like that.

Last edited:
It's an entertainment show, with cars. As such I've enjoyed Grand Tour and Top Gear. Both have formulas as entertainment shows which means they make a lot of money sold around the world. The format therefore won't be allowed to change much.

I enjoyed it. Much more so without Chris Evans. And possibly more than the grand tour to be honest.

Enjoyed last night's episode. MUCH better without Chris Evans - I quite like him in his own shows but he doesn't really do sharing of the limelight!
Tried the Amazon alternative but switched off after about 1/2 an hour - same old fattening blokes trotting out the same old tired jokes. Can't help thinking that a combination of May, Hammond and LeBlanc might have worked quite well - I guess we'll never know though!

So;
I liked the old Top Gear with the 'three cocks'
I liked the new Top Gear with Chris Evans. I liked Chris Harris's and Rory Reid's enthusiasm in the articles they did.

For Christmas we let the children subscribe to Amazon.
So, I tried Grand Tour, honestly, I didn't think Grand Tour was a patch on the old Top Gear and I struggle to see where all of the money has been spent!

Cut to Sunday and guess what, I like the new Top Gear without Chris Evans!

But

In my opinion Fifth Gear was far and away the best motoring show on the TV. Trouble is no TV stations want to give it another season.
Who better to present a car show than three actual drivers (Needell, Plato & Butler-Henderson) not to mention the excellent motoring journalist Jonny Smith.

BRING BACK FIFTH GEAR!

In my opinion Fifth Gear was far and away the best motoring show on the TV. Trouble is no TV stations want to give it another season.
Who better to present a car show than three actual drivers (Needell, Plato & Butler-Henderson) not to mention the excellent motoring journalist Jonny Smith.

BRING BACK FIFTH GEAR!

Normal viewers turned off the boring old motoring documentary style of Fifth Gear in the 90s/00's, it's why Top Gear was cancelled the first time and resurrected in its current format by Clarkson and co in 2002 which became the big success that appeals to a broader audience.

There just aren't that many people interested in watching paint dry to make the dry technical basic car test style of program viable, that's what YouTube is now for...

Well I didnt watch any of the Chris Evans first series. Caught a few bits here and there of the current series and didnt mind them(Sabine in the mega Golf GTi round the nurburgring v good last week). Sat down to watch the whole show last night and found it pretty good to be honest. A bit of life left in the show yet I reckon, surprisingly. Kudos to the bbc for persevering.

Can't say I found Chris Evans that annoying myself but I'm finding this series much better regardless. They've got the edge on The Grand Tour for me.

They're very similar but Top Gear seems much fresher now and the team are starting to gel together well.

The Grand Tour had its good moments (in places better than Top Gear) but for me Top Gear is now more consistent. I'm back to looking forward to it on a Sunday as opposed to just catching up whenever.

Missed it last night but will catch up on iPlayer later this afternoon/evening.

Still catching up on the extra bits - can see the telly from here. Liking the same old format with a new batch of presenters with less of the BS. Good to see a bike creeping in too!

And a question...

In the star in the car segment, they're using a Lumix of some description at the front left of the cockpit - which one?

Back