The New Top Gear

There's more to not like than just his voice. Such as presenting style, lack of humour, arrogance, awkwardness etc. From a personal point of view I even find the way he looks and carries himself off putting.

Add to that his tyrant attitude in the studio (audience members walked out last week too) he's got a lot to change and I don't think it'll happen, he's way to up his own arse.

He really is wrong for this.
LOL That could be written for JC :) He had the same effect on many people (y)

I wasn't able to watch the first episode but had recorded it so I watched it on Saturday night before the second episode went out.
I had noticed on social media a lot of bad comments about it but I kept an open mind, I'm glad I did as I have really enjoyed both shows.

Chris Evans is a breath of fresh air and brings far much more fun and enthusiasm that tired old Clarkson, Hammond and May ever could.
Matt Le Blanc, a genuine car nut, has done a great job and I love the UK Vs USA thing that they have capitalised on.
Sabine Schmitt, Eddie Jordan - Hoooray, we've eventually got some actual drivers on the show rather than stuffy journalists!

I do stuggle with the criticism of the show though, especially from old fans. What on earth did you expect? It was never going to be and never will be the same show that the three cocks used to present. Don't get me wrong, I liked it with them presenting and I like it just as much with the new presenters.
Let's be honest, if Chris Evans and the production team had tried to make the show the same it would have failed.

I get that Chris Evans might be a bit 'Marmite' for some and if you don't like him you will not like the new Top Gear, go and get yourself an Amazon Fire stick and watch Clarkson, Hammond and May but beware, that show will be different too!

The Evans & Le Blanc relationship will take time to gel but I'm already loving the dry whit, humour and banter between the UK & USA

Do you know that for a fact?

Yes.

It's also been well reported. If you watch the show when there's laughter and on *most* occasions there's laughter but no reaction from the audience.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Chris Harris is relegated to the after show. That guy is an amazing car journalist, very funny and he can drive!

It's not feedback if you only came here to say you didn't watch it. How can you provide feedback if you didn't see it?

Thats still feedback, an indication of the falling figures. "I didn't watch it because I thought the first programme poor, didn't Like Chris Evans, won't watch it again" is very positive feed back especially the I won't watch it again.

I didn't mind it. I'll watch with interest to see if it turns into car crash tv. Personally I think it's the BBC trying to play safe, not trying to break the brand which earns them lots of money, kinda "lets try it the same only with new people"

LOL That could be written for JC :) He had the same effect on many people (y)

Maybe, but at least he had rapport and was capable of engaging with the audience. I went to a shoot in 2009 with them and they were very much engaging and chatting in and amongst the audience. There was no diva attitude there all at.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
Yes.

It's also been well reported. If you watch the show when there's laughter and on *most* occasions there's laughter but no reaction from the audience.
Well reported in the Daily Mail you mean who look for sticks to beat the BBC with on a daily basis.

Did the old show never use 'canned laughter' then?

Maybe, but at least he what rapport and was capable of engaging with the audience. I went to a shoot in 2009 with them and they were very much engaging and chatting in and amongst the audience. There was no diva attitude there all at.

Not until he didn't have his warm dinner ready for him eh.

This was always going to a hard act to follow who ever they got to do it. Matt le Blanc for me is the one who holds it together

Replace the Ginger Whinger with Jenson Button and all will be well. He WAS funny on Sunday :D

Are you justify his violence against another person? Seriously, can you see no fault in him? Amazing.

Don't be silly. Can you not see a tongue in cheek joke? Maybe that's why you don't get Clarkson et al?

Anyway, the only person I've seen glorifying and vicariously condoning violence against a living creature lately on here is you... Amazing.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. Can you not see a tongue in cheek joke? Maybe that's why you don't get Clarkson et al?

Anyway, the only person I've seen glorifying and vicariously condoning violence against a living creature lately on here is you... Amazing.

What makes you think I don't "get Clarkson"? I never missed an episode.

The new TG is a crap as the old one - but if you like cars and associated shenanigans no normal mortal could afford to get up to then its the ONLY show in town on a Sunday night.

STOP moaning sound like a bunch of old people moaning about the price of fish.....O hold on most of you are:eek:.....:D

The new TG is a crap as the old one - but if you like cars and associated shenanigans no normal mortal could afford to get up to then its the ONLY show in town on a Sunday night.

STOP moaning sound like a bunch of old people moaning about the price of fish.....O hold on most of you are:eek:.....:D

Ok, no ones entitled to an opinion? Nice one [emoji106]

You've got a few million people to pass that message to, I wish you luck.

Ok, no ones entitled to an opinion? Nice one [emoji106]

You've got a few million people to pass that message to, I wish you luck.

LOL you can have an opinion on the price of fish lad I couldn't care less fill ya boots!

LOL you can have an opinion on the price of fish lad I couldn't care less fill ya boots!

That's not what you said a few minutes ago [emoji3]

What? At THESE prices?

I wasn't able to watch the first episode but had recorded it so I watched it on Saturday night before the second episode went out.
I had noticed on social media a lot of bad comments about it but I kept an open mind, I'm glad I did as I have really enjoyed both shows.

Chris Evans is a breath of fresh air and brings far much more fun and enthusiasm that tired old Clarkson, Hammond and May ever could.
Matt Le Blanc, a genuine car nut, has done a great job and I love the UK Vs USA thing that they have capitalised on.
Sabine Schmitt, Eddie Jordan - Hoooray, we've eventually got some actual drivers on the show rather than stuffy journalists!

I do stuggle with the criticism of the show though, especially from old fans. What on earth did you expect? It was never going to be and never will be the same show that the three cocks used to present. Don't get me wrong, I liked it with them presenting and I like it just as much with the new presenters.
Let's be honest, if Chris Evans and the production team had tried to make the show the same it would have failed.

I get that Chris Evans might be a bit 'Marmite' for some and if you don't like him you will not like the new Top Gear, go and get yourself an Amazon Fire stick and watch Clarkson, Hammond and May but beware, that show will be different too!

The Evans & Le Blanc relationship will take time to gel but I'm already loving the dry whit, humour and banter between the UK & USA
Are you really Chris Evans?

IMO Chris Harris should replace Chris Evans ,Evans is too pantomimeish with his squeaky irritating voice .Matt Leblanc on the other hand has a feature....IMO of course

Last edited:

I just re read this. They *have* tried to make it the same, it's exactly the same format, but badly executed! They've made token and weak changes but nothing more. Even down to the intro voice overs, stig, star in a reasonably priced car (OK, with a bit of mud thrown in), even the films follow the same format, and have even more or less copied previous TG films. Except they aren't very good, and the first show was hopeless in every area, the second one only slightly better.

And it *is* failing, only 2.8m live viewers, and he's remained silent on that and the consolidated iplayer viewings, something he was shouting about last week.

Are we watching the same show??

Last edited:
Just been watching the extra shows; oh I really can't stand that Harris bloke. Never liked his reviews and think he is a terrible terrible presenter.

If they have more of that tedious car lap it will be even worse. I prefer Rory Reid. Much easier on the eye in HD as well, which is important. I don't like Harris either. He had bother piloting an Audi RS4 correctly.

i like Evans on TFI friday, his energy and enthusiasm make the show, but he just doesnt seem right for Top Gear.

the placing of audience members is more down to the floor manager, they dont always shove the ladies to the front, my brother was at one filming of the old TG and was right behind Clarkson, in full view, grinning like the great big wally that he is...

If they have more of that tedious car lap it will be even worse. I prefer Rory Reid. Much easier on the eye in HD as well, which is important. I don't like Harris either. He had bother piloting an Audi RS4 correctly.
Fully agreed. Rory is a pleasant surprise to me. I like him.

I think Jenson would be good too. Punt off Evans. I'd probably keep Eddie Jordan for now. The zoo format does have a bigger allowance for variety and not having it the same every week. Then I think a natural group will appear that works best for say series 3.

Problem is neither Jensen, Matt or Sabine are presenters, so as much as anyone does or doesn't like Evans I don't think they're the answer alone

As much as I'm coming round to Matt ( he was good in the South African feature), he still comes across as quite wooden and awkward in the studio. Jensen was good value in the McLaren but IMO that was as least partly because he was interacting with Chris.

At this stage I'm not convinced Chris is going anywhere. Think he'll gradually settle in and find a more natural, more personal style and the original viewers who dislike like him (I appreciate there will be quite a few) will be replaced by a new set to bring the viewing numbers back up to reasonable levels even if they're not as high as the JC, Hammond, May numbers.

Last edited:
Hmm, well IMO it's different or at least they are trying to make it different.
There is no reasonably priced car. It's a Mini Cooper. Hardly reasonably priced and its a rally cross track rather than all tarmac.

Instead of 1 guest there are several

They actually have drivers in the show (Sabine Schmit & Eddie Jordan) Neither Clarkson, Hammond or May are drivers

There is the new competition for guests First car/Best Car

The film in episode 2 was made with guests rather than just the presenters.

That's 4 differences in a show with, at most, 8 articles.

But I get what you are saying, they seem to be trying to make it different by adding or embellishing articles. It will come. Those that love Clarkson and hate Evans will never like it and will be watching re runs on Dave or getting themselves an amazon fire stick.
Those that are a little more open minded and a little less critical will take it for what it is, an entertainment show.

Back