The New Top Gear

Star in a reasonably price should have gone years ago....no idea why they tried to make even more of it.

Real shame. Could have been a great show, even with Chris Evans presenting. I watched with open mind and hoped the format would be more car show than entertainment show, but no. I loved the old TG with the 3 idiots but to make it almost the same? HUGE mistake. I skipped through it, and the TG extras show. Even Chris Harris disappointed, which I wasn't expecting having watched his YouTube channel for years.

I'm a massive lifelong top gear fan. Maybe a bit biased because I actually like Clarkson, although I appreciate he was probably acting and may be an *rse in real life do all I know. Loved May too, and tolerated Hammond.

I thought the new show was terrible, like pulling teeth and watching paint dry all at once.

I have every respect for what Chris Evans done to Wogan's breakfast show, he made it his own. Unfortunately this has not been the case (yet) with top gear.

I actually think Chris Harris from pistonheads should be the main presenter. Genuinely loves cars, can really drive, is eloquent and funny. Yet quite different to the old guard and could give some great real car content to the show.

Evans on radio 2 this morning is still on the defensive about TG....FACT.
Sounds like he's rattled by the experience and on the defensive.

If he has the sense to listen to criticism and make a few changes then the show will improve. If he just puts his fingers in his ears and ignores it all it won't make series 2 with him in charge of it that's for sure. TG is too big a brand to risk having it go down the pan. They did commission 10 programmes I think but only managed to make 6 in the end because of Evans. It's not a good start really. I suspect if viewing figures dive (which they might) he'll have some kind of huff and storm off the show shouting how it can't go on without him. Then it will, perfectly well.

I watched it last night, it was pretty awfull and so wooden.
the Top Gun sketch made me cringe in places.

oddly enough the best character was Matt LeBlanc..

Reactions: BBR
To back up what I was saying check out extra gear on I player, far better than the actual show!

To back up what I was saying check out extra gear on I player, far better than the actual show!

Couldn't agree more Craig, That should have been the main programme. Suitably different from the old top gear and presented by people with their own personalities, rather than Chris Evans doing a Clarkson impression and Matt Le blanc playing the Hammond role..

Chris Harris needs to be "promoted" to the main show ASAP..

I didn't mind it. Some cringeworthy bits, but it was the first show. I'll see how the next few go.

Dear Points of View,
why-oh-why did you get rid of that curly haired oaf? Please, please, please can we have him back. Oh! And those other two as well I suppose.

Yours sincerely, Mr. B. Took, Muswell Hill

Chris E has a large base of haters in the UK, so it would be nice to hear from someone who has never seen him or heard of him before, what they thought of his presentation skills?

Chris E has a large base of haters in the UK, so it would be nice to hear from someone who has never seen him or heard of him before, what they thought of his presentation skills?

I'm not an Evans hater, I had no opinions of him whatsoever before this as I didn't really watch his shows or listen to R2.

He was bloody awful on TG, I'm surprised that's even being debated.

I'm not an Evans hater, I had no opinions of him whatsoever before this as I didn't really watch his shows or listen to R2.

He was bloody awful on TG, I'm surprised that's even being debated.
I was a bit put out when he took over from Terry Wogan on the breakfast show, but thought I'd give him a chance, and slowly he settled in and did a good job,
although over time, I think that now that success has gone to his head a little, and his head is going slowly up his own arse.

I'd rather listen to him, than watch him though that's for sure.

I was a bit put out when he took over from Terry Wogan on the breakfast show, but thought I'd give him a chance, and slowly he settled in and did a good job,
although over time, I think that now that success has gone to his head a little, and his head is going slowly up his own arse.

I'd rather listen to him, than watch him though that's for sure.

His arrogance in the face of criticism will be his downfall. He can't see that he's screwed this up and it's bad, looking at his Twitter "FACT" rants. I've never seen that behaviour before, it's a bit pathetic. It doesn't bode well for future shows and I'm not sure I'll bother with the next one. If I do, it will be to see if he's listened to the criticism and reigns it in a bit. Somehow I don't think that will happen.

Then there's the unimaginative and boring films, they've already been shot so if they've been made in the vein of the films in the first episode it's done for.

I only caught the last 20 minutes of the first show, and thought it was pretty terrible. So much so I couldn't even be bothered to watch the whole show via player.

I will watch the next, but only because the trailer suggests some sporty SUVs (if there is such a thing) and we are in the market for a change and want to see what they get up to. Although I doubt they'll feature our options.

Anyway I think it was a fail to just do the same thing with different presenters, I found MLB especially terrible. It didn't work for me at all.

Great show on Radio 2,but really hated the new TG.The other three had a bit of chemistry between them and most,not all were worth watching and a laugh.I have to admit to going for repeat watchings on Dave and still laughing.
Can't see me doing it now,made it to around half hour before Evans squeaky loud voice totally ground me down.

Every incarnation of the format has taken a while to settle down. Might take a series or 2 to do so with a couple of personnel changes (since everyone wants instant results these days) but it should get there. IIRC, JC still has an interest in the programme even now he's no longer directly involved.

I didn't think it was too bad. I didn't have high-hopes, it's the first one after all.

I only caught the last 20 minutes of the first show, and thought it was pretty terrible. So much so I couldn't even be bothered to watch the whole show via player.

I will watch the next, but only because the trailer suggests some sporty SUVs (if there is such a thing) and we are in the market for a change and want to see what they get up to. Although I doubt they'll feature our options.

Anyway I think it was a fail to just do the same thing with different presenters, I found MLB especially terrible. It didn't work for me at all.
Ok, nothing else on last night so I did download it. And to be fair it wasn't that bad that it isn't beyond the possibility of improvement. Personally I would get rid of MLB and have Sabine in the studio. And will someone please give Chris a haircut, put on some proper clothes and tell him to stop shouting. Other than that it wasn't too bad for the first show.

Ok, nothing else on last night so I did download it. And to be fair it wasn't that bad that it isn't beyond the possibility of improvement. Personally I would get rid of MLB and have Sabine in the studio. And will someone please give Chris a haircut, put on some proper clothes and tell him to stop shouting. Other than that it wasn't too bad for the first show.
I think the idea is for the other presenters to come and go? I also think that it has the possibility for improvement. It's never going to be the same and that needs to be accepted.

...or as good, as last week showed :)

I think the idea is for the other presenters to come and go? I also think that it has the possibility for improvement. It's never going to be the same and that needs to be accepted.
I think my initial reaction was based on that it was too much the same. The same kind of silly stunts, I was hoping for it to be different and that they put their own mark on it.

Or perhaps I'm just annoyed that Chris beat Sabine in their dog fight :)

Wish they'd fix the studio sound though. No idea what they did differently before but they need to be doing it again.

He's awfully shouty and shrill.
Without that it might not be too bad.

Wish they'd fix the studio sound though. No idea what they did differently before but they need to be doing it again.

And this, yes.

Pace is still feeling a bit too slow and drawn out compared to old TG somehow.

I, too, have picked that up. As if the producers had set the acoustics to "empty hall" mode. My digital hearing aids could pick out that reverberation via the sound bar on my telly, I thought one or the other devices had developed a fault.

Despite me saying I won't ever watch it again, I decided to give it another go. I turned the telly off halfway through this second episode and decided to finish off an outstanding doodle project instead.

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed this episode. Nice selection of cars.

I wasn't going to, but I did switch over about 10 minutes in and Evans was shouting at me, so I watched something on Netflix instead.

I wonder if Evans will be tweeting the viewing stats today?

I wasn't going to, but I did switch over about 10 minutes in and Evans was shouting at me, so I watched something on Netflix instead.

I wonder if Evans will be tweeting the viewing stats today?

Who cares what he tweets. If you don't like it don't watch it. If you're interested how it develops then stick with it. In my opinion you missed a good episode last night. If I was you I'd stick with Netflix on a Sunday night to stop you worrying about what Chris Evans tweets.

Who cares what he tweets. If you don't like it don't watch it. If you're interested how it develops then stick with it. In my opinion you missed a good episode last night. If I was you I'd stick with Netflix on a Sunday night to stop you worrying about what Chris Evans tweets.
I'd probably ditch Netflix in favour of Amazon prime. At least that way you'll get you Clarkson fix which appears to be what many are missing ;)

It is only because of Chris Evan's Twitter FACT rant that people are feeling this way.

I thought to myself the viewing figures of the first episode were down to curiosity of people, not the greatness of the Top Gear tribute band.

I too would be interested in the viewing figures, or even the ones at the end of the series, unfortunately Chris Evans has set himself up for a fall.

Maybe you wanted this thread to be more of a discussion about the content thing, rather than people just morning. In sure in time, it will settle down to that.

I thought the viewing figures would be curiosity, however the second show was very good indeed.

Now if the new clarkson show is also good on Amazon then it will be a win all around :)

Well I enjoyed it, especially Eddy's wee quip at the end!

I didn't watch this episode as last weeks was so terrible. Maybe I'll watch it on iplayer...

Back