The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I bought my X-Pro1 from Jessops in Kingston. They are clueless about the Platinum warranty and I'm having to jump through hoops to get it sorted out. Anyone else been in this position?

Had a quick wander with the camera tonight, trying to get a feel for it and the 35mm before I decide whether to buy the 18mm or 60mm to accompany it.

First was really just a test of f1.4 on the lens and the depth of field but I prefer it in B&W, converted in Silver Efex Pro 2

Bokeh by chrism_scotland, on Flickr

The second I really liked the clouds in the sky and again preferred the conversion into B&W

The Docks by chrism_scotland, on Flickr

How bad is the auto focus in low light? Do you think they will fix it with a firmware update?

How bad is the auto focus in low light? Do you think they will fix it with a firmware update?

Mine seeks a lot, more than my 5D2 ever did for example.

Will it be fixed in an update? I hope so, but who can say?

Loving mine although it's quite frustrating at times. Wouldn't be without it now. It's incredible to have such a high quality camera in such a small package.

Well I'm enjoying the camera and the 35mm is amazing but I'm not so certain about the 18mm I've received from Amazon. Its certainly not as good as the 35mm.

I am partly eying enviously the lenses available for m4/3 used on the EM-5, but the handling and IQ of the X-Pro 1 with the 35mm f1.4 is great for me.

The handling of the OMD I've played with in Jessops just isn't as good for me or I think I'd have a lineup of EM-5, 12mm/14mm, 25mm and 45mm.

I just hope we see more lenses from Fuji, I'm very interested in the 14mm f2.8which is rumoured for this year and hopefully a cheaper 45-50mm prime would be added as the 60mm seems to be getting mixed reviews, excellent IQ but focus that isn't so great.

The X-Pro 1 for me is a bit bigger than I expected but once you get the 35mm on it it feels perfectly balanced and with the wrist strap for me it feels a great camera to use.

I haven't had any real issue with the AF as I tend not to shoot anything that moves and like has been said before the AF while not massively fast is very accurate.

The JPEG's out of the camera seem very good and I've not yet looked at the RAW files, but one thing I am loving is using the B&W processing in camera, the EVF allows me to "see" what I'm shooting in Black and White which for me is great as I've started shooting a lot in B&W.

I will certainly for now be continuing with the X-Pro 1, I will make a call in the next couple of days in whether I want to keep the 18mm or send it back but right now I will likely keep it as theres not really any other options at present!

From the wide range of blogs and forums it seems that the IQ of both the EM-5 and X-Pro 1 are very very good, and certainly better than the EP2 I had before, I'd love to be able to give both the X-Pro and EM-5 a go side by side but thats not really possible, as I said though for me the X-Pro 1 is a revelation in handling and I love the combo EVF/OVF.

Yeah it's kind of nice ;)

The official Fuji M adapter arrived today so I took it to my favourite dark place for a bit of a workout.

ISO 3,200 / 1/10s / probably f8 ish / Summarit 50mm

2s7ujat.jpg

I've added a drop of NR (though it doesn't need it for web).

The lens map looks good actually.
I've listed my XP1 for sale, amazing camera and 35mm but not getting on with the 18mm and I need something wider than the 35, those new lenses coming look tempting though.

With the 14mm coming soon, maybe worth hanging on.....

Started to get tempted by this in addition to the X100, but need to try it to see how fast it is relative to the OM-D, as I would like to buy a mirrorless system that is a tad fast....

Started to get tempted by this in addition to the X100, but need to try it to see how fast it is relative to the OM-D, as I would like to buy a mirrorless system that is a tad fast....

Depends if you mean focus then the AF is similar to the X100, and I know the general feel is that its not as quick as a NEX or OMD to focus.

If I'm honest I think I'm heading back to a full DSLR again, I'm spending more time on my photography again and not really travelling much so I can handle the size, etc of a full DSLR once more.

It's absolutely not a fast camera but it's plenty fast for my usage. If you want sports or hyperactive children photos look elsewhere but if you can slow yourself down and your main subjects are still life, landscape or portraiture the XPro-1 is peerless. It does take a lot of getting used to and can be frustrating but it's worth it in the end. I've had a D3/D700 combo with pro glass. The XPro-1 with 35mm 1.4 is up there in the same league and is light and small to boot.

It's absolutely not a fast camera but it's plenty fast for my usage. If you want sports or hyperactive children photos look elsewhere but if you can slow yourself down and your main subjects are still life, landscape or portraiture the XPro-1 is peerless. It does take a lot of getting used to and can be frustrating but it's worth it in the end. I've had a D3/D700 combo with pro glass. The XPro-1 with 35mm 1.4 is up there in the same league and is light and small to boot.

My biggest gripe with the X-Pro 1 is how much better as a camera it is compared to the X100 other than a bump in IQ. Fully happy with the X100 AF speed, though sometimes I find it a tad on the slow side, but I want a decent jump to really feel value for money.....

Had mine a month or so with the 18 and 35. Haven't had a chance to really test it yet due to work, but will be taking it to Peru with me next weekend to see Macchu Picchu. I do like shooting with it when I get the chance though. The issues people report are greatly exaggerated in my finding.

Had mine a month or so with the 18 and 35. Haven't had a chance to really test it yet due to work, but will be taking it to Peru with me next weekend to see Macchu Picchu.

Well, as they say, jel.

I was in Macchu Picchu just under a year ago with an X100. Could have done with something wider at times.

If nobody has told you yet then DO NOT LIE IN AT AQUAS CALIENTES. Do not have breakfast. Be on the first bus. There's a snack shop next to the queue for it. You can eat and sleep the next day,

I've given the X-Pro 1 a little thrash lately. I was looking for an 18mm but spotted a bundle deal on the bay for 18 and 60 that was too good to miss so I now have the full set ;)

Thoughts....as everybody knows the 35mm is the star of the bunch. But the others aren't really too shabby. 60mm can be a little sluggish at focusing but nothing disastrous as I was lead to believe. (One forum has a post which describes this as "the worst lens ever made by any company ever"....that seems a little of an exaggeration).

Really like the exposure comp control but it's too easy to knock in the bag. Often I'll go for a quick shot, review is and see it's about 2 stops too dark. Yep, exposure comp is on -2...

Used it for first paying job on Saturday. It performed really rather well ;) Just shooting guest candids. People seemed to spot me even less than normal because I only had a "toy" camera. 35 is nice for capturing people and ambience.

Off to Paris next week with it. Then we'll see...

Hmm, I feel a blog coming on......

Well, as they say, jel.

I was in Macchu Picchu just under a year ago with an X100. Could have done with something wider at times.

If nobody has told you yet then DO NOT LIE IN AT AQUAS CALIENTES. Do not have breakfast. Be on the first bus. There's a snack shop next to the queue for it. You can eat and sleep the next day,

Hey man, thanks for the heads up. We have a guide from beginning to end, including Lima and Cusco etc. Its all run to a fairly tight schedule in any case :)
Was hoping the 14mm would drop in time but glad it hasn't now the 10-24 has been announced, which will definitely be hitting my kit bag!
Got over 100gig of SD cards...excessive lol.

We have a guide from beginning to end, including Lima and Cusco etc. Its all run to a fairly tight schedule in any case :)

Awesome. Good luck with Cusco. When I got off the plane there it felt like somebody was sitting on my chest due to the altitude.

Which is a _lot_ of fun in a town that looks like this.....

2012-07-04_001.jpg

Already trekked up to over 5500m so I know what that feels like! I was quite altitude resistant last time and Im hoping it will be the same this time! There is just no telling unfortunately. Our guide in Nepal had to come down from a trip even though he was doing dozens a year. Funny thing, altitude.

This tour takes a higher route too, which will see close to 5000m before rejoining the classic route! Fun :)

This tour takes a higher route too, which will see close to 5000m before rejoining the classic route! Fun :)

Salkantay? Yeah, I have that T shirt.

Climb up to pass (day 1 or day 2 depending) is pretty tough. Rest would have been easy if I hadn't been throwing up ;)

'k back from a weekend in Paris.

About 20 hours of carrying the entire kit round the mean streets. About 650 shots - including a triathlon underneath the Eiffel Tower (in the rain obvs).

OMG I love this camera!!

I'll be writing up my thoughts soon. In the meantime, here's a lowish light snap on the 35mm. f2.2, 1/3200, 1/13s. Small edit of the jpeg in Photogene on my iPad. Then a resize and sharpen in PS on the big screen. No noise reduction outside the camera ;)

wheel.jpg

Oh yeah. It can resolve some detail too.

Here's a SOOC black and white jpeg (my own custom mono mix). The main picture is full frame on a 50mm lens from halfway across the Seine. I've pulled up a small area at 100%. It's probably shot around f4 ISO 320.

Note that after resizing for web I haven't sharpened so this looks a little softer than it really is ;) I can check expressions on most of the crowd.

swimmers100.jpg

Wow, those are really astonishing, now contemplating an upgrade to the x100, damnit lol.

Firmware version 1.11 has been released!

But... it doesn't really offer anything :(

The firmware update Ver.1.11 from Ver. 1.10 incorporates the following issue

1.When FUJIFILM M-mount adapter is set to the camera body and the correction menu of "COLOR SHADING CORRECTION" or "PERIPHERAL ILLUMINATION CORRECTION" for the mount adapter is operated, corrected live image can be displayed on EVF/LCD for setting appropriate value with ease.

Pah.

Maybe nothing to you - but it beats guessing ;)

BTW rule of thumb is always to take f/w updates. Other issues that manus haven't admitted have a habit of mysteriously vanishing.....

Last edited:
Maybe nothing to you - but it beats guessing ;)

BTW rule of thumb is always to take f/w updates. Other issues that manus haven't admitted have a habit of mysteriously vanishing.....

Yeah, I noticed that trend from the Fuji X forum - apparently focusing issues were addressed without them being mentioned.

I'll be updating as soon as I get home!

Great. That will obey my second law of firmware updates. You first ;)

Unless I just say I've already done it, and how wonderful it is...

I hear the firmware update comes with a special edition XF Mount Leica 35mm 1.2............. ;)

Last edited:
I'm finding that when I import raw files into LR4 that LR4 is stripping the settings applied to the raw file by the camera - i.e. B&W will turn into colour etc.

Is there anyway to stop LR4 from doing this?

Back