The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Gah.

As an aside... how accurate do you find the focus scale is on the X Pro 1 for zone focusing?

Never used it. But the one on the lens is pretty good ;) (I use a manual Leica lens for MF).

BTW the LR4 thing is a "feature" of all Adobe raw processing.

Never used it. But the one on the lens is pretty good ;) (I use a manual Leica lens for MF).

BTW the LR4 thing is a "feature" of all Adobe raw processing.

Worst I have a Leica post ever ;)

Fair one though! I'm looking at going to Voigtlander's instead of the Fuji lenses.

Hmm, I could get to like this....

(Fiddling with some new layouts too.)

petit-dejeuner.jpg

Picked mine up last week with the 35mm, loving it !

If anyone is using the additional handgrip do you find it useful ?

Spotted one second hand this morning so I'll let you know tomorrow ;)

Wrist strap is IMO essential. I, um, made one out of some black nylon rope from Poundland....

Cheers, I agree about a the wrist strap. I used a leather boot lace :)

Last edited:

Yep, I find it extremely comfortable and it moves the tripod point to the right spot. Well worth if for the money.

Steve

Useful info, thanks for that. I had considered using my ipad as an imagetank but I'll give that a miss for a while :/

Btw, I picked up cable release today from Jessops but I'm not very keen on it. There is a lot of side to side play in the actual shutter release button on my XP1 when the cable is attached.

Has anyone else seen this ?

Btw, I picked up cable release today from Jessops but I'm not very keen on it. There is a lot of side to side play in the actual shutter release button on my XP1 when the cable is attached.

Yes there seems to be a little play in the button. I guess it's free fitting above a concealed switch. Putting a cable release in reveals this.

Can't say it worries me though.

very tempted to join this club - I've had an NEX7 for 3 months & was debating between getting the zeiss 24mm or the fuji x100. i opted for the fuji as the zeiss was no where to be seen despite many a promise from Jessops... subsequently i have recently sold my NEX7 as i just know i wouldn't pick it up after using the x100!

i do have one question for those of you that have owned or had a good play with both fuji's - I'm delighted with the x100, i don't find the auto focusing a problem or the general speed of the camera. its great... would i therefore likely enjoy the xpro1 just as much? is the focus speed pretty much on par with the x100?

The image quality from the xpro1 & 35mm 1.4 looks breathtaking - and I'm desperate to pick up an interchangeable lens system which i will just enjoy using.

thanks

I've had both and the X-Pro 1 is muchly an X100 that you can change the lens on!

It is larger and particularly with the 35mm, its a big package but very nice to hold and use, IQ is outstanding and I'd say the AF is almost exactly the same!

Highly reccomended if you like the X100!

I've had both and the X-Pro 1 is muchly an X100 that you can change the lens on!

Pretty much what Chris said.

I honestly think a lot of people moaning about the AF aren't spending the time gutting to know it. Yes, it works differently from a DSLR. But I has a couple of kids running straight at the camera the other day and at f4 it nailed them.

Just buy one ;0

So. The 60mm macro. Is it really, as some forums claim, one of the worst lenses ever made by any manufacturer?

blueandyellow.jpg

Pretty much what Chris said.

I honestly think a lot of people moaning about the AF aren't spending the time gutting to know it. Yes, it works differently from a DSLR. But I has a couple of kids running straight at the camera the other day and at f4 it nailed them.

Just buy one ;0

I have both. The X100 is certainly an excellent camera for the money but to my mind the X-Pro1 is in a different league image wise.

I love the quality of images from my X100 but I much prefer those from the X-Pro1.

The convenience of the X100 combined with image quality superior to MFT is it's major attraction.

The X-Pro1 takes things to a higher level. A lot of people seem to shell out for these cameras and then don't take the time to learn how to use them. :)

So. The 60mm macro. Is it really, as some forums claim, one of the worst lenses ever made by any manufacturer?

blueandyellow.jpg

No, it's one of the best lenses I ever used....and proper professional review sites would agree....

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1486/cat/105

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/744-fuji60f24?start=2

It does indeed focus a bit slower, but then macro lenses often do. However I probably use it as much as the other two, perhaps more.

Some people just wouldn't know a good lens from a beer bottle. For that matter, they probably find an Xpro1 a bit of a challenge. Not exactly a P&S camera. I suspect the applies to the idiot in question who made that comment.

Last edited:
Useful info, thanks for that. I had considered using my ipad as an imagetank but I'll give that a miss for a while :/

Yep - it's deliberate to make sure that the strain and vibration is not transferred to the actual switch. Reminds me of my old film camera. Don't worry about it, but do make sure you buy a cable as flexible as possible. You can transfer quite a lot of movement to the camera via a stiff cable.

For long exposures I tend to use the 2s timer.

I’ve seen nothing but praise for the 60mm but that’s from review sites rather than forums, what are the criticisms ?

I’ve seen nothing but praise for the 60mm but that’s from review sites rather than forums, what are the criticisms ?

Mainly related to focus speed, which is fair enough, but some people just go overboard. Fuji put very low geared motors in these lenses which is probably related to the manual focus complaint (lots of turns) but the payoff is accuracy at max aperture.

You can't have your cake and eat it is the moral of this story I guess.

At least review sites can provide an objective comparison based on a large data set of lenses, rather than a very limited subjective impression based on a shop tryout, so I tend to place more value on review sites, especially if they don't carry heavy sponsorship.

On forums, well it takes about 20 seconds to decide who to read and who to ignore I guess. Some people just enjoy hyperbole.

Overall speed of the system was the main issue I read about before buying the camera, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'll pick up a 60mm this month as planned :D

I think the "issues" with the 60 come from its uneasy position in Fuji's lineup.

It's a macro. But it's also the closest thing they have to a portrait lens. (In fact, arguably they don't yet have a portrait lens.)

Now we all (should) know that macros are slow to focus. And the usual way round that is to manual focus. Unfortunately the fly by wire focus on the 60 is horrid. There's no real way to get feedback as you focus and manual focus at close range is very difficult. You can either say that makes it a "terrible lens" or do what I did and spend a couple of hours coming up with a focusing strategy for it (manual focus, AF/AE button on contrast are to get you in the ballpark, magnify and then rock until it it bang on - takes a little practise).

Similarly if you expect it to be a portrait lens then it can be disappointing. I've seen beautiful portraits with it but it's slow focusing for a portrait lens (remember it's a macro lens really) and unless you tweak the camera specially for it a little too sharp and unforgiving. Since lot of people are shooting jpeg (and foolishly think that means they can still ignore all the settings) then again it's easy to be disappointed.

Another issue is that it appears to exhibit some of the worst CA I've seen at f/2.5. Under certain circumstances. In the real world though you seldom see anything bad at all and in practise 2.5 is so close to 2.8 that many people will never use it wide open.

It is a lovely lens though - and one with a lot more "character" than most I've used. And some of the most lovely out of focus areas you'll get anywhere near the price.

Here's a SOOC jpeg from yesterday.

2012-07-25_001.jpg

If anyone is interested I have just advertised my 60mm Fujinon for sale in the classified section :)

could be interested, but don't have access to classifieds yet - so if you haven't sold it yet, drop me a line

could be interested, but don't have access to classifieds yet - so if you haven't sold it yet, drop me a line

Thank you but I think the classified rules bar me from dealing outside the for sale thread. Sorry. Colin

ok, thanks - s'pose i'll have to wait for access to the 'classifieds' section to read those rules :)

In the mean time, having just taken possession of an X-Pro 1 and 35mm lens, i'll set about getting out and learning how to use it to its fullest.

Last edited:
I got mine from Jessops, it is very flexible ( read up ) and quite long.

linky

Last edited:
I think the "issues" with the 60 come from its uneasy position in Fuji's lineup.

It's a macro. But it's also the closest thing they have to a portrait lens. (In fact, arguably they don't yet have a portrait lens.)

Now we all (should) know that macros are slow to focus. And the usual way round that is to manual focus. Unfortunately the fly by wire focus on the 60 is horrid. There's no real way to get feedback as you focus and manual focus at close range is very difficult. You can either say that makes it a "terrible lens" or do what I did and spend a couple of hours coming up with a focusing strategy for it (manual focus, AF/AE button on contrast are to get you in the ballpark, magnify and then rock until it it bang on - takes a little practise).

Similarly if you expect it to be a portrait lens then it can be disappointing. I've seen beautiful portraits with it but it's slow focusing for a portrait lens (remember it's a macro lens really) and unless you tweak the camera specially for it a little too sharp and unforgiving. Since lot of people are shooting jpeg (and foolishly think that means they can still ignore all the settings) then again it's easy to be disappointed.

Another issue is that it appears to exhibit some of the worst CA I've seen at f/2.5. Under certain circumstances. In the real world though you seldom see anything bad at all and in practise 2.5 is so close to 2.8 that many people will never use it wide open.

It is a lovely lens though - and one with a lot more "character" than most I've used. And some of the most lovely out of focus areas you'll get anywhere near the price.

Here's a SOOC jpeg from yesterday.

2012-07-25_001.jpg

You have a point, people know it's a macro lens but don't TREAT it like one. I use it as a regular short tele as I love the 90mm equivalent.

Manual focus does require some manual scanning and practice. I came up with the same strategy as you after some messing around, and what I will say is that the low gearing DOES allow very fine control.

Also, when I first got the camera and before the initial FW upgrades the AF with this lens was very wayward at infinity. Two upgrades later and it's as sharp as a knife so I guess some heavy tweaking went on!

But overall I can't fault the final results. It's a wonderful lens and full of character, as you said.

Got back from Peru last weekend. Very happy with the camera overall. The 35 saw little use compared to the 18 though, mainly because of the landscapes I was hiking through.

Peru%25202737.jpg

Peru%25202597.jpg

Peru%25202565.jpg

Peru%25202807.jpg

Peru%25202966.jpg

Peru%25202906.jpg

I upgraded from a GF1 with 9-18 for the record. So far the XP1 has proven ideal for travel photography! People who complain about the 18mm need to go and give their head a shake. Its an awesome lens, especially given its size and weight.

Last edited:
Back