The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

What happens when the subject moves?

The Fujis are designed so that when you take your finger off the button CF still tracks the subject so that the view remains in focus and when you want to take the picture focus will be achieved instantly. (That's different from most firms' implementation of CF but it's clear that's how they designed it).

Ahh, that is more complicated than I understood from the posts above. So if you turn the camera on in C mode, point it at a moving subject, touch the shutter button so it locks focus (which I what I am suggesting solves what I thought was the problem) then if the subject moves the AF isn't following it? If that is right then I agree, there is an inconsistency and it would be handy to see it removed.

Edit: following up, what happens after the initial 15-20 seconds? Does it then track focus OK? And what happens if you turn the camera on in S and switch to C mode? Any difference?

Last edited:
Edit: following up, what happens after the initial 15-20 seconds? Does it then track focus OK? And what happens if you turn the camera on in S and switch to C mode? Any difference?
You have to keep the camera perfectly still on the subject because if you move it even slightly the cycle starts again. It's really painful. You can get the focus time down to about 5 seconds if the focal plane isn't too far apart. If you switch from S to C it takes up to 15 seconds to focus. Try one of your primes on C mode and without touching the shutter the camera will constantly focus on whatever you are pointing at. That's what the zoom is supposed to do.

Mmm. Seems strange that anybody has managed any decent shots using C mode with the 55-200 then. If you keep the shutter half pressed does it follow focus, even if this is not the usual Fuji method?

My bet would still be that it is OIS-related. Continual shutter button free tracking plus OIS would drain the battery very quickly. Maybe Fuji turned the continuous tracking for zooms to avoid this, even if OIS is turned off, and forget to tell everyone

Mmm. Seems strange that anybody has managed any decent shots using C mode with the 55-200 then. If you keep the shutter half pressed does it follow focus, even if this is not the usual Fuji method?
No it doesn't. And it's the same on the 18-55 too.

I always switch IS off for any sort of action photography, so that may play a part in me not having any issues.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post, but much experience on my part allows me to confidently state that there isn't a hope in hell of an X-M1/X-E1/X-Pro1 actually properly tracking a fast moving car or plane, CAF working or not, however I find CAF does help significantly, and is still a far more efficient method than using SAF.

My method goes a bit like this (in CAF mode), remember I'm talking mainly about objects that will pretty much fill the frame at 100mph+, not kids moving around indoors or anything.

1. Grab an initial lock-on to the subject by half pressing.
2. Continue to track the subject without touching anything on the camera, the camera will make a vague attempt to track the subject, enough that it's still easily definable through the EVF. This holds up pretty well even tracking subjects over fairly significant distances, or subjects moving towards or away from you.
3. A final half-press and then immediate full press at the point of taking a photo.

I would never expect it to find my subject quickly without initially doing anything at all (i.e. A fast moving jet quarter of a mile away), to be honest that thought never even crossed my mind, it needs pointing in the right direction. Once you've defined the subject it makes a reasonably valiant attempt to cling on to it, certainly good enough that by the time you want to take your shot, it's only slightly out of focus so will lock on properly instantly.

This method was tweaked from how I used to shoot with various Micro 4/3 bodies, ironically it's actually easier with an X body than it ever was with an O-MD/G5 etc, despite the blasting Fuji AF gets.

Have you tried your technique since this subject has been bought up? I would be interested to know how CAF performs with your lens now.

Have you tried your technique since this subject has been bought up? I would be interested to know how CAF performs with your lens now.

Just tried it on the X-Pro1 (latest firmware for body and lens), CAF kicks in pretty much instantly, as it did on my X-E1. Very strange, not sure what's up there.

No motorsport for a few months so no idea how it performs in the real world compared to my X-E1 yet, but just testing it at home it doesn't feel any different, I certainly wouldn't have had any concerns at all had I not read this thread.

Just tried it on the X-Pro1 (latest firmware for body and lens), CAF kicks in pretty much instantly, as it did on my X-E1. Very strange, not sure what's up there.

No motorsport for a few months so no idea how it performs in the real world compared to my X-E1 yet, but just testing it at home it doesn't feel any different, I certainly wouldn't have had any concerns at all had I not read this thread.
It tracks instantly and constantly and this is on a zoom lens?
Hmmmm I think we might need to have some kind of poll on this. Can anyone else check their X Pro and zoom lens?

Last edited:
I know it's not really a XP1 lens, but my 16-50mm couldn't even lock after 40 seconds. Fine when shutter button half pressed.

Just a heads up on the grips. I'm told there will be stock of the Sunway X-E1 grips in the UK at the end of next week. If that's true and they are close to eBay prices then I'll be getting one. Don't know if they do a different grip for the X-Pro 1 or if it can be made to fit but that's one of the first things I'll be checking ;)

OK, it's been a longish and at times hilarious story but I now have a Sunway grip for my X-E1. Things to know:
  1. It's lovely. Really very well made in 3 parts so you can use it as a base plate with out without grip or an L plate with or without grip. Supplied in a presentation box with the 3 (!) allen keys you'll need. IMO just as good quality as the US manufacturers. There's a tiny amount of play between the base plate and the body but in use it doesn't budge.
  2. It will not in any way fit an X-Pro 1 - even as a flat plate the moulding to the X-E1 is too good. I don't think Sunway have an X-Pro 1 version yet :(
  3. I'm not certain they are even for sale yet. I think I've kind of ended up with a pre prod version. But when they are available they will be awesome.
pfl-XE1.jpg

I'll take it off somewhere warm and try some long exposures on it. Purely in the interests of science, obvs.

Hmmmm I think we might need to have some kind of poll on this. Can anyone else check their X Pro and zoom lens?
Hi Mike and everyone,

I just popped the 18-55mm zoom lens on my X-Pro1 with firmware version 3.10 and the CAF tracking kicks in straight away and using Chris' technique the tracking works relatively well. It's not a speed demon by any means but it's not as bad as some would have you believe.
David

Hi Mike and everyone,

I just popped the 18-55mm zoom lens on my X-Pro1 with firmware version 3.10 and the CAF tracking kicks in straight away and using Chris' technique the tracking works relatively well. It's not a speed demon by any means but it's not as bad as some would have you believe.
David
Hi David
Does it work the same way as one of your primes where you can hear the AF chattering away constantly as it maintains focus?.......without having to touch the shutter button?

Last edited:

Yep, constant focus with the 55-200 from the off. When I say 'constant' I mean within the limitations of an admittedly poor CAF system, i.e. it needs a little push sometimes with a half press if moving from one not particularly contrasty subject very close to another.

No, the focus on the 18-55 is near silent and there is no chattering unlike the 35mm prime for example

Thanks David. Well it's baffling me really. It's clearly affecting some people on this forum and it is affecting Fuji UK. The Admin guy Arjay on the Fuji X forum has the same symptoms too. I was testing mine quite closely today and although CAF is working on both the zoom lenses it is painfully slow and would be impossible to track any moving object. Perhaps it only affects certain X Pro's or maybe your expectations are not the same as mine? Having searched the internet it's clear that this subject has already been done to death but most of the discussions seem to be Pre FW updates and hardly any involve the zoom lenses. I can only conclude, and Fuji agreed with me in my initial call to them, that there must be some FW problem affecting Zooms only. I am still awaiting an official reply from Fuji and will post the reply when I get it. I am still amazed that you can successfully track a moving object using CAF with a zoom without pressing the shutter half way??? Fuji UK told me that their test X Pro 1 was taking between 15 and 20 seconds to lock focus on a static object using the 18-55 lens.

Thanks David. Well it's baffling me really. It's clearly affecting some people on this forum and it is affecting Fuji UK. The Admin guy Arjay on the Fuji X forum has the same symptoms too. I was testing mine quite closely today and although CAF is working on both the zoom lenses it is painfully slow and would be impossible to track any moving object. Perhaps it only affects certain X Pro's or maybe your expectations are not the same as mine? Having searched the internet it's clear that this subject has already been done to death but most of the discussions seem to be Pre FW updates and hardly any involve the zoom lenses. I can only conclude, and Fuji agreed with me in my initial call to them, that there must be some FW problem affecting Zooms only. I am still awaiting an official reply from Fuji and will post the reply when I get it. I am still amazed that you can successfully track a moving object using CAF with a zoom without pressing the shutter half way??? Fuji UK told me that their test X Pro 1 was taking between 15 and 20 seconds to lock focus on a static object using the 18-55 lens.
Mike, the zoom definitely does not chatter and it is relatively quiet. The af will track the subject but seems to need a little persuasion to nail focus. I'll get out when I have chance and give it a thorough test. The 18-55 only arrived a few days ago so needs a workout. I'll post my results back here.

I am still amazed that you can successfully track a moving object using CAF with a zoom without pressing the shutter half way???

I think I'm unclear on something...what's the harm in 'giving it a push' and getting an initial lock-on with a half-press? Surely this would instantly override the 20 second issue?

I do this by default anyway as it's second nature having used pretty much any other camera, the key with it is remembering not to keep half-pressing and just let it get on with it. As an amusing little test I just walked along with my camera hanging off my neck and CAF on, you can hear it focusing on different things as you walk along.

As David succinctly put it above, it works with the occasional bit of guidance!

Last edited:
I think I'm unclear on something...what's the harm in 'giving it a push' and getting an initial lock-on with a half-press? Surely this would instantly override the 20 second issue?
The whole point of CAF is that it fires up immediately and tracks a moving subject for you. On a normal SLR like a Nikon you half press the shutter in C-AF and pan the camera on your moving subject. On an X Pro it is slightly different. You don't have to touch the shutter button and the camera auto focuses automatically. As soon as you half press the shutter (or mash it....the trick of pressing it right down without pressing it half way first) it locks on ready for a shot (in focus). It's not that big an issue for most people without a zoom because it works really well on primes.

Last edited:
OK, it's been a longish and at times hilarious story but I now have a Sunway grip for my X-E1. Things to know:
  1. It's lovely. Really very well made in 3 parts so you can use it as a base plate with out without grip or an L plate with or without grip. Supplied in a presentation box with the 3 (!) allen keys you'll need. IMO just as good quality as the US manufacturers. There's a tiny amount of play between the base plate and the body but in use it doesn't budge.
  2. It will not in any way fit an X-Pro 1 - even as a flat plate the moulding to the X-E1 is too good. I don't think Sunway have an X-Pro 1 version yet :(
  3. I'm not certain they are even for sale yet. I think I've kind of ended up with a pre prod version. But when they are available they will be awesome.
pfl-XE1.jpg

I'll take it off somewhere warm and try some long exposures on it. Purely in the interests of science, obvs.
Nice looking grip Jonathan.

The whole point of CAF is that it fires up immediately and tracks a moving subject for you.

But unless I'm mistaken it will do this quite happily if you 'initiate it' with a half-press, even for those of you have are getting a delay otherwise. Not technically correct, but a solid workaround.

This is all notwithstanding the issue of it actually being able to track a subject successfully (although technically it doesn't 'track' anything, it just refocuses on whatever you happen to be pointing at, I've not even used a DSLR that can genuinely track a fast car etc) but I don't think any of us bought into Fuji X expecting even half-decent CAF performance, given it uses CDAF.

But unless I'm mistaken it will do this quite happily if you 'initiate it' with a half-press, even for those of you have are getting a delay otherwise. Not technically correct, but a solid workaround.
Of course that's what you would do in real life and if you have used this feature on an SLR it's what you are accustomed to anyway. The real issue as you have pointed out is that it does not then track the subject on a zoom but it does on a prime, and there lies the fault.......................

And hence the problem that Simon has......
I know it's not really a XP1 lens, but my 16-50mm couldn't even lock after 40 seconds. Fine when shutter button half pressed.

Last edited:
I have now had a reply back from Fuji regarding the C-AF issue on Fuji zoom lenses.......
Thank you for your email.

We have tested these lenses using C-AF and confirm that they are slower to focus than the prime lenses although focusing can be achieved much less than 20 secs in most cases.

We will send a report regarding this issue to our design section in Japan for their consideration.

The quickest way to achieve focus and take a picture is to use S-AF . Just compose the picture and press the shutter button fully down to take the picture.

Regards

Make of that what you will.

I have now had a reply back from Fuji regarding the C-AF issue on Fuji zoom lenses.......
Thank you for your email.

We have tested these lenses using C-AF and confirm that they are slower to focus than the prime lenses although focusing can be achieved much less than 20 secs in most cases.

We will send a report regarding this issue to our design section in Japan for their consideration.

The quickest way to achieve focus and take a picture is to use S-AF . Just compose the picture and press the shutter button fully down to take the picture.

Regards

Make of that what you will.

It's good that they acknowledged the issue and are possibly taking steps to rectify. Although I am new to Fuji, but their continued commitment to improve the cameras with updates must be applauded and was one of the reasons I have bought into the system.

It's the same Amazon deal they've been running since November, and they're still out if stock - I noticed last week they were listing as available again but via a Marketplace seller, since they sold out in the first week of January I don't think there have been any "supplied by Amazon" X-Pro1s available. The question is, will you get the right paperwork to claim your lens before Fuji closes the deadline for receipt of the claim (28th February).

I managed to get mine at New Year.. and just missed a delivery from City Link this morning which I suspect was my free 60mm, have to wait until Monday now :(

The £50 voucher bit didn't appear whilst it was available from a third-party "fulfilled by Amazon", but now it's only a genuine Amazon out-of-stock offer it shows up again..

Fuji only show the deal to the end of January, is it a different claim procedure for CameraWorld?

The £50 voucher bit didn't appear whilst it was available from a third-party "fulfilled by Amazon", but now it's only a genuine Amazon out-of-stock offer it shows up again..

Fuji only show the deal to the end of January, is it a different claim procedure for CameraWorld?
It looks from the Cameraworld blurb that it's officially from Fuji? It's right beneath the Fuji advert?

It looks from the Cameraworld blurb that it's officially from Fuji? It's right beneath the Fuji advert?

Cameraworld have always been creative with their marketing, the only reason they can legally say "2 Free Lenses" is because they don't sell the X-Pro1 as a body only deal. Everyone else accepts that it's a kit deal plus one free lens.

hiya, mine arrived today, very nice..

I was wondering the best way people might have found lining up OVF with the actual shot that will output, this is my first experience of this and wondered how best to go about it or is the simple answer is you cannot?

Ta peeps

hiya, mine arrived today, very nice..

I was wondering the best way people might have found lining up OVF with the actual shot that will output, this is my first experience of this and wondered how best to go about it or is the simple answer is you cannot?

Ta peeps

The bright frame in the OVF changes it's position depending on what lens is attached and the focus distance. However, it cannot ever be 100% accurate so when composition is paramount then just use the EVF.

The X-pro1 left the house for the first time today!
Unfortunately it was rather a horrible day and I didn't feel particularly inspired.
However I did meet this Fun guy exposed to all in the woods so took the opportunity to try out a couple of old m42 lenses I have.

First shot is with the 18mm Fuji at f2 iso200, 2nd shot with carl zeiss jena 50mm f/2.8 and 3rd with carl zeiss jena 135mm f/3.5 both the manual lens were at f/5.6 iso800

View attachment 4955 View attachment 4956 View attachment 4957

Back