The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I read somewhere that the new firmware is delayed while they sort a problem with strange coloured pixels in the top left corner of images, I think with the XE1 and 18-55mm zoom, but possibly the x-pro too with the same lens.

I have a lens dilemma! Having been a Fuji s5 user for a few years my main lens has been the 50mm 1.4g. At weddings I've combined this with the x100 for wide shots and indoor high iso work.
I've just received my fuji x-pro body and as
I shoot primes now and my options are:
1: get the 35mm 1.4 and buy the Nikon adapter for my 50mm
2: getting the 60mm macro for portraits and wedding details
3: get the 18-55 ??
4: wait for the 50mm 1.4
Ahhhhhh

Well, its a sad day, but tinged with a bit of happiness.
Sad, because I just sent off my wifes tax return and even though she has made a substantial loss in her startup year, Mr Taxman still wants a rather large wad of money, claiming it was underpaid tax from her proper job!
I'm sure they make this all up as they go along....
So, I have just sold my X100 at a loss to put towards the payment.

The tinge of happiness comes because she just promised to buy me a new X Pro 1 in early April when her redundancy comes through :clap:

I just need to figure out which lens to go with it now. I can already feel a big smile creeping up....

Looks like I shall be lurking on this thread for a while now while I look forward to the big day.

Allan

Well, its a sad day, but tinged with a bit of happiness.
Sad, because I just sent off my wifes tax return and even though she has made a substantial loss in her startup year, Mr Taxman still wants a rather large wad of money, claiming it was underpaid tax from her proper job!
I'm sure they make this all up as they go along....
So, I have just sold my X100 at a loss to put towards the payment.

The tinge of happiness comes because she just promised to buy me a new X Pro 1 in early April when her redundancy comes through :clap:

I just need to figure out which lens to go with it now. I can already feel a big smile creeping up....

Looks like I shall be lurking on this thread for a while now while I look forward to the big day.

Allan

I'm fairly sure the X100 has gone to a good home (y)

Well my x-pro arrived with the 35mm lens, I bought a Pentax adapter to go with my 50mm 1.7 while waiting for the 56mm 1.4 to arrive!

Can't use it on a job until Wednesday as I've had a cancellation but excited by the potential!!!!

After over 5 months of being unable to do any photography I finally managed to sell the majority of my canon gear and picked up an X-pro 1 & 60mm F2.4.

Just received them today and I must say I'm impressed, the low light handling is fantastic and the jpg's straight out of the camera are outstanding, they need very little work if any (crop & levels were needed).
The weight is just within the range I can manage with a lens & grip fitted so alls finally well.
The 60mm is a lovely lens, lovely bokeh wide open, nice & sharp too.. I was worried I would miss my old canon 85mm F1.8.. but I dont now.
The only problem is I'm now lusting after the 35mm 1.4 for self portraits etc.. time to sell a guitar I think ;)

Oh if anyone is buying from the fuji store.. use paypal and input the code PAYPAL12 for a nice discount.

iancandler said:
The 60mm is a lovely lens, lovely bokeh wide open, nice & sharp too.. I was worried I would miss my old canon 85mm F1.8.. but I dont now.
The only problem is I'm now lusting after the 35mm 1.4 for self portraits etc.. time to sell a guitar I think ;)

Oh if anyone is buying from the fuji store.. use paypal and input the code PAYPAL12 for a nice discount.

How fast is the focussing on it? My friend had one pre firmware upgrade and said I was a tad slow but I thought I might wait for the 56 1.4?

I'm using my old Pentax 50mm 1.7 with adaptor for portraits until I make up my mind

Its not to bad, the latest firmware update has certainly helped.. I would say try and find a local dealer or someone near you who has one and try it out..

Just tried mine in my very low light room (1 x 60 watt bulb) on 2 targets, one at the end of the room, one close.. in both cases its under 1 sec to focus and it only missed once at the darker end of the room even then just tapping the shutter button and focus was locked instantly.

The 56 1.4 is going to be better though I think, its a case really of get it now or wait until god knows when for the 56mm and its wider aperture

Last edited:
Of the three primes I would say the 60mm is the least snappy and reliable in terms of auto focus but it's not really designed to be a speed demon. The IQ is exceptional!

The 18mm is pretty fast and the 35mm is now very fast to focus (not quite DSLR but you'd have to be very picky to notice).

Last edited:
Speeds not a major issue for my portrait needs I guess, I've got the 35mm and its plenty quick enough for me! I've just upgraded from the excellent fuji s5 pro and have always thought that having a slower camera allows you to take that little bit of time over a shot and trains yourself to be more prepared. I just did a pro shoot using the x-pro and a manual 30 yr old Pentax lens and they are super sharp!

Just a quick shot of a rose I took today.. I used the astia simulation to get the soft look, then it was just crop & convert to B&W in silver efx pro, nothing else was needed.

rose2_zps28785e57.jpg

@ iancandler - at what point do you enter PAYPAL12? tried it on the stores website with no luck and on paypal with the same result....

The PAYPAL12 code only works on refurbished. Code is entered on page after adding to basket and brings the X-Pro 1 refurb down to £674.99

I was trying on a refurbed 60 macro. Will try again

Looks like its only on refurbed cameras, never mind was worth a try...

Damn!!! I bought an x-pro a week ago for £799 refurb!!! Amazing price! Worth getting a second body for that!

Even when the Paypal12 code finishes there is usually a 10% off code that will work for refurbs. Another one is P258BTCC467 which is running at the moment.

I used that last week for a combination of an Xpro & 60mm, it just took it off the total.. picked up both for £1082 with the discount (inc next day delivery)

PS refurb x pro;s where £749 last week when I got mine

Got mine refurb, but there's that chattering sound when I've switched it off!
Is it a faulty one? Takes pictures fine!!

Have you updated the firmware on the body and the lenses?

Mine doesn't make a chattering noise when I turn it off.

Have you updated the firmware on the body and the lenses?

Mine doesn't make a chattering noise when I turn it off.

Same here mines fine, but I updated both the body & lens firmware before I did anything with the camera.

Not the best shot out there but I'm amazed at how much cropping you can get away with, even on poor shots.

The shot on the right is the original shot in not so good condition, shooting through double glazing with the subject approx 15ft away from me.
On my old canon set up I would have to use the 300mm to get the bird this size... this was shot with the 60mm F2.4 !

The more I use this camera the more I'm amazed at what it can do and the deeper my conviction that I made the right choice in ditching my canon gear and buying the fuji.

orginalcrop_zps23ceb988.jpg

Firmware updated as soon as I received them but still chatters away in the bag

I would have a word with Fuji then Steve, mine has no chatter at all and its a recon bought last week..

Chatter wont make it fail.. its just an annoyance the firmware upgrade was supposed to have fixed..

You definitely updated to body firmware version 2.03 and lens firmware 2.01 ?

Thanks Ian, I guess its alright as they have seemed good at fixing any issues people have had with refurb X100's which seemed quite popular!

I'd been looking at going back to a DSLR but if I'm honest I think an XP1 would fill 90% of my needs and save lumping around a huge bit of kit again.

A little torn between the XP1 and XE1 but I think I'd prefer to have the option of the OVF.

Chris I've now bought 2 refurbs from Fuji and cant fault them so far. (Grabs some wood)

Both have appeared brand new, no marks, no faults etc at the price right now (£750 for the Xpro 1 body) and with the paypal discount code + the fact that you get 12 months warranty its a no brainer.
I would go for the XPro 1, the ovf is gorgeous, it didnt take me long to adjust to the camera and I dont regret parting with my DSLR outfit one bit, in fact unless you had a top of the line FF DSLR then I doubt you'll regret it either.
Also remember there are loads of adaptors out there to use legacy lenses with the Xpro1/XE1, so if you dont mind manual focusing you can use pretty much anything you like. (use the EVF/rear screen for manual focusing)

Chris I've now bought 2 refurbs from Fuji and cant fault them so far. (Grabs some wood)

Both have appeared brand new, no marks, no faults etc at the price right now (£750 for the Xpro 1 body) and with the paypal discount code + the fact that you get 12 months warranty its a no brainer.
I would go for the XPro 1, the ovf is gorgeous, it didnt take me long to adjust to the camera and I dont regret parting with my DSLR outfit one bit, in fact unless you had a top of the line FF DSLR then I doubt you'll regret it either.
Also remember there are loads of adaptors out there to use legacy lenses with the Xpro1/XE1, so if you dont mind manual focusing you can use pretty much anything you like. (use the EVF/rear screen for manual focusing)

Thanks Ian, I did have an X-Pro 1 last year and ultimately swapped it our for another DSLR but I was very impressed with it even then and I suspect with the latest firmware updates its even better than it was.... suspect I'll be ordering....

Nice one Chris, I would update the firmware on both the body and lens as soon as the battery is charged... then just enjoy it..Look forward to seeing some of your shots with it

We all know fast SD cards are needed to get the best out of the XP1, just found an excellent deal on 16gb sandisk extreme pro cards (95mb/s)

Deal post here

That deal seems to link to an Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB card Ian, not a 16GB, price is right though.

I think Currys still have the best deal on 16GB Extreme Pros at £28-99.

Last edited:
Back