The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

david357 said:
Amazing service from the guys at Fuji with their free lens offer!

I bought the camera with 60mm lens last week, posted the application form and proof of purchase on Thursday, and my shiny new 35mm lens arrived this morning. (.....and it's lovely.)

Can't wait, got mine today :D sending the forms off tomorrow.

Can't wait, got mine today :D sending the forms off tomorrow.

Sent off my forms today. I want, I want. :whistle:
After work took a few 'snaps' with the 60mm. Not really my style but will be interesting to try out whilst waiting. Maybe get me in bokeh. 50mm and less (approx 35 on 1.5) is really my favourite so can't wait to get my hands on the 35mm. Also waiting with interest for the new wide angle. I also spoke to a chap in the shop I got my kit from and he said that the Fuji rep was in last week talking about a host of new lenses in the pipeline.

Initial thoughts are that they really need to get Adobe on side with full support so shooting in RAW+Fine for now (future RAW support). But, this camera is so much fun to shoot with. Traded in my Billingham 335 for a Hadley. Everything is so light and small but the camera itself feels so solid.

Last edited:
I still don't get why people are having problems with Lightroom and raw files from the X-Pro 1. :shrug:

I don't think it's problems so much as a desire to make raws in LR look like the jpegs out of the camera (and yes, there really is an obvious solution....).

For example on your first picture the skin tones are a world away from "Fuji standard". It doesn't mean I don't like them but the magenta shadows aren't the Fuji thing.

Any Fuji raws I need to edit go into LR.

JonathanRyan said:
I don't think it's problems so much as a desire to make raws in LR look like the jpegs out of the camera (and yes, there really is an obvious solution....).

For example on your first picture the skin tones are a world away from "Fuji standard". It doesn't mean I don't like them but the magenta shadows aren't the Fuji thing.

Any Fuji raws I need to edit go into LR.

Interesting. I'll try exporting a straight Lightroom conversion of the first photo for comparison together with an in-camera JPG conversion.

So, just for the sake of comparison I took the original X-Pro 1 raw into Lightroom and exported it with the default settings. I also processed the same raw in-camera using the Provia/Standard and Astia/Soft film simulations.

Here they are...

xp1-test.jpg

xp-1-test-2.jpg

The main thing that sticks out for me is just how green the loose hairs on the left-hand side of the straight raw are. The camera's processing is clearly doing a good job to correct what I guess is green fringing. I struggled to do such a good job of manually correcting for it in LR.

The colours clearly get warmer from raw to Provia to Astia and after tweaking with the Camera Calibration controls in Lightroom I can see the magenta in the shadows better. The colour differences are so subtle that it's difficult to get to neutral.

What do you guys think?

OK, I still don't know what I'm doing. Trying to learn the new camera at a focal length I am not very familiar with. But, out this morning in poor light and the only view that really inspired me was almost straight into the morning light.

First picture is jpg straight from camera.
Second is after a little pp.
Blown away by how I can dredge a reasonable looking picture from what looked like a hopeless case. The X-Pro 'sensor' just seems immune to the fumblings of a novice. I really can't wait until my 35mm arrives, I actually learn how to use the camera and I get some nice crisp Autumn mornings.

DSCF0115 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

DSCF0115-1 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

The main thing that sticks out for me is just how green the loose hairs on the left-hand side of the straight raw are. The camera's processing is clearly doing a good job to correct what I guess is green fringing. I struggled to do such a good job of manually correcting for it in LR.

The colours clearly get warmer from raw to Provia to Astia and after tweaking with the Camera Calibration controls in Lightroom I can see the magenta in the shadows better. The colour differences are so subtle that it's difficult to get to neutral.

What do you guys think?

Yes. The jpeg conversions are clearly highly optimised for their lenses. Fringing goes away and what little distortion there is gets magically removed. It would be fairly easy for Fuji to release these as Lightroom lens plugins. Somebody with some skill and quite a bit of time could also create them but if anybody has, nobody is sharing yet ;)

It's the colours more than anything though. They have done an excellent job of making the images look like the films and there's just something more pleasing about skin tones on the jpegs. It's not impossible to replicate but I guess people get disheartened when they see gorgeous jpegs and then can't get their raws quite right. Really, this is an ideal camera for shooting in jpeg.

You can also provoke Fuji raws to do some very nasty things if you play with the clarity - or rather they go bad faster than most other raws. But that might have gone away in LR 4.2.

The other issue is that the raws take a long time to process. Exporting files from LR, Fuji files take noticeably longer then those from my Nikons. I suspect something funny is going on under the bonnet.

The other issue is that the raws take a long time to process. Exporting files from LR, Fuji files take noticeably longer then those from my Nikons. I suspect something funny is going on under the bonnet.

The reason it's slower is because demosaicing the image from an XTrans sensor is more work than the same task with a conventional Bayer array; the RAW processor has to consider the data in 6x6 chunks instead of 2x2 chunks.

I still don't get why people are having problems with Lightroom and raw files from the X-Pro 1. :shrug:

TBH, I suspect those images aren't going to throw up much of a problem, based on what I understand of the challenges involved in rendering an image from an XTrans RAW file. The issues occur with chroma smearing when you have adjacent boundaries of contrasting colours - because of the spacing of the individual colour sensor cells, more interpolation is required and the maths to do that with an irregular array is much more complex than with Bayer.

For some background on both points for the more technially minded, this is the best [series of] article I've read on the topic

http://chromasoft.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-and-its-x-trans.html

http://chromasoft.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-part-2.html

http://chromasoft.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-part-3.html

And I thought it was pixie dust.... :)

Skimmed the first article and will make some time to read the series in detail.

It's a shame that Fuji (and in fact all camera manufacturers) don't accept Adobe's dominance and work closely with them. Even if their s/w was good I baulk at having to learn new s/w for every camera....

Yay!!

Sent form on Tuesday, my 35mm has just arrived.
Horrible grey cloud here at the moment but forecast for tomorrow looks good. :)

Last edited:
PCPhil said:
Yay!!

Sent form on Tuesday, my 35mm has just arrived.
Horrible grey cloud here at the moment but forecast for tomorrow looks good. :)

Woo hoo good news :) should get mine mon-tues

Almost glad that the early morning was totally overcast. Set in aperture mode to take some low ISO, long exposure shots and couldn't get shutter speed slower than 1/4. When I got home I read the manual again and saw the bit that said in power save mode this is the longest allowed :bonk:

Anyway, then cranked the ISO up to 1600 with the 35mm and walked around.

The 60mm sometimes hunted in low light. With 35mm it locked first time every time with no lag. Brilliant! Also this thing is a low light monster. I just set AWB and doing that I had to adjust the temperature in Lightroom to get the right colours but that is all I did. The jpg's are very good but under these conditions I think RAW must be the way to go on a big screen. Finepix studio is really only good for bringing in the pictures. I'm going to have a play with the silkypix converter now to see if I can re-produce the same result as lightroom.

DSCF0147-1 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

Small update:
Battery life is not brilliant "when quick start mode is on". Look on Page 23 of the manual.

Last edited:
Asked this in the XE1 thread, but is it easy to get the best from these RAW files on Lightroom 4 or do Fuji force you to use SilkyPix or some other RAW software they have?

Asked this in the XE1 thread, but is it easy to get the best from these RAW files on Lightroom 4 or do Fuji force you to use SilkyPix or some other RAW software they have?

I have no complaints with LR4's processing of X-Pro 1 files.
I know it's not supposed to be an ideal solution, but if it isn't - I'm not going to be complaining any time soon. (y)

As much as I'm happy with the SOOTC jpg's I also am even happier with some of the processed RAW versions as well.

There are new firmware updates available on Fuji's website this morning for the 18mm, 35mm and 60mm lenses, which improves the autofocus performance of the lenses when used in manual mode.
hth.

Anyone had their X Pro die after updating the Firmware?
I bought mine Friday, had a little play and then decided to update to 2.20 . I followed procedure ( I've done this before as an X100 owner ) got through the update to the point where the camera said to switch off and now it is dead!

Of course this happened about 10mins after Fuji Support had closed for the weekend.

I've tried a few of the suggestion from the net like removing the battery & lens for a period but nothing has worked.
I'm going to call Fuji in the morning but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if so how they had solved it?

So does anyone regret buying the x-pro with the x-e1 available for less money?
I have an x-100 and to be honest I only use the OVF when low on battery so I can spend just over a grand on the x-e1 with a 18-55 or £1800 on an x-pro with two primes if taken with the free lens offer.

So does anyone regret buying the x-pro with the x-e1 available for less money?
I have an x-100 and to be honest I only use the OVF when low on battery so I can spend just over a grand on the x-e1 with a 18-55 or £1800 on an x-pro with two primes if taken with the free lens offer.

£1800?! You can get it with 2 primes for £1530 iirc from WEX. Happy days

I had some real good plays, took images back to PC etc and was pretty convinced it was the way I wanted to go. Without the free lens deal. For sure I would have waited for X-E1. With the lens deal. Absolute no-brainer for me.

And, not been at all dissapointed so far :)

m3Ypv.jpg

XP1 + 35/2 UC-Hexanon.

To those with a platinum warranty, do you have to send it in every year for a health check (sorta like a yearly clean, lubricate, adjust (CLA) for those who have old film cameras) or is it just for when something gets messed up? And what's the special customer service email address?

I prefer it without the two people on the right, Lloyd, but I love the tones and the conversion.

Well as a result of the problem with my X Pro dying on me it went back to Jessops today and they were happy to replace except for the fact that they currently have none in stock anywhere. I 'm having to wait therefore until they get their next order in from Fuji :crying:

I did keep the receipt to allow me to apply for the free lens so not all bad.

Posted this in the Landscape section but it actually took me another day before I could find time to work on the colour and cropping. Still learning the camera but it is really growing on me.

DSCF0418b1 by PCPhilpot, on Flickr​

Last edited:
I'm so tempted by the X-Pro 1 at the moment. Will need to get rid of my DSLR and some of its lenses first though. I'm happy enough with selling most of them, but there are a couple (for example a Sigma 100-300 f4, which is hens teeth in Pentax land) which are causing me real issues, as if I decide I don't like the camera, I'll have got rid of some very nice glass.. Decisions! If I do go for it, I think I'd get the 18-55mm from wherever will bundle it with the body and then get the 35mm on the free offer.

Ooo pretty. Landscapes are basically cheating though, right? :D

The weather/work balance has conspired against me since getting the camera. Was just so happy when I saw how clear this picture looked. Really looking forward to the crisp late autumn/winter mornings

I'm so tempted by the X-Pro 1 at the moment. Will need to get rid of my DSLR and some of its lenses first though. I'm happy enough with selling most of them, but there are a couple (for example a Sigma 100-300 f4, which is hens teeth in Pentax land) which are causing me real issues, as if I decide I don't like the camera, I'll have got rid of some very nice glass.. Decisions! If I do go for it, I think I'd get the 18-55mm from wherever will bundle it with the body and then get the 35mm on the free offer.

I'm selling my D7000 and all Nikon kit after getting an X-Pro1. I'm in love. It has its quirks, and if you value decent autofocus I wouldn't bother, but its charms have completely won me over.

Remember there are no telephoto lenses for it yet, but that will change next year when they release a 55-200mm next year. There's also a wide zoom in the pipeline.

I got a Thumbs Up delivered the other day, and it transforms the X-Pro1.

My biggest bugbears with the ergonomics were that the thumbwheel was exactly where I wanted to rest my thumb, and the exposure compensation dial was too easy to knock. With the Thumbs Up on, the thumbwheel is protected as your thumb rest is now a few mm further out. The exposure compensation dial is also protected, and the camera is far more comfortable to hold. The Thumbs Up is expensive, but it's been worth every penny for me so far - an unexpected bonus is that the camera still fits in the ever-ready case with it fitted.

My remaining annoyance is the position of the strap lug. How to people route the strap through their fingers? I currently put it between my fore and middle fingers, but it's not entirely comfortable. If I put it over the top of my forefinger I struggle to reach the shutter button!

I spend a lot of time with manual focus film SLRs, so any autofocus is fine by me. Certainly, I'm happy enough with the autofocus on the X100, though I've learned a few tricks in the last few days that should help with the remaining niggles. I'm also going to keep the sigma 50-150 f2.8 and get a suitable adapter to use it as a high quality short tele should I want something with more reach. If the 55-200 is as good as the 18-55 seems to be, then I can swap them when the Fuji zoom comes out. I'm 90% decided on getting the XP1, it's just that final decision that's the hard part!

I spend a lot of time with manual focus film SLRs, so any autofocus is fine by me. Certainly, I'm happy enough with the autofocus on the X100, though I've learned a few tricks in the last few days that should help with the remaining niggles. I'm also going to keep the sigma 50-150 f2.8 and get a suitable adapter to use it as a high quality short tele should I want something with more reach. If the 55-200 is as good as the 18-55 seems to be, then I can swap them when the Fuji zoom comes out. I'm 90% decided on getting the XP1, it's just that final decision that's the hard part!

I was in the same position, and I wasn't expecting how much this camera would win me over. I've been through a few over the years, but this one is a keeper :love:

I was in the same position, and I wasn't expecting how much this camera would win me over. I've been through a few over the years, but this one is a keeper :love:

Yeah, I absolutely love the X100 - I really enjoy taking it out and snapping away. But it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility, hence the desire for the xp1. I think I'd also like the slightly better build quality and OVF over the XE1.

I have just bought a X-Pro1 and have sent my beloved X100 off to it's new owner today:crying: I'm going to really miss the X100 but the Xpro will be all the X100 and more especially when the 23mm f1.4 comes out next year. I have only taken a few sample shots and the IQ is pretty stunning I must say!! I only have the 18mm at the moment and have applied for the free 35mm f1.4 which from what I have seen an instant legend!!

Roll on some decent weather and a chance to shoot with the new toy!(y)

Last edited:
Back