The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I thought the same with the promo's but it could be overstock due to people opting for the xe1 rather than pay the extra for the better build & ovf of the xpro1.

Well mine was delivered last week and I love it already. Only had a play in the house but I find it simple to use (I have the x100 so no stranger to fuji system).

Pleased with images, once you get used to the AF doing a full cycle before deciding its target I dont think there is a great deal to complain about!

Anyone who took up the November promotion received the free lens yet? I was wondering how long it would roughly take to come through.

Sending mine off tomorrow morning, would love it if it came back by next weekend.

The only thing where I seem to struggle with mine is in low light in aperture priority with either the 35mm or 18-55mm zoom.

Even bumping the ISO up (auto 3200) I find it difficult get reasonable shutter speeds & the focussing is very hit and miss. That's when it finally decides to lock.

Any hints or tips?

Try using P mode, S or manual, also you can safely let the ISO rise to 6400.

Contrast detect AF obviously relies on contrast to work well so look for area's with good contrast to focus on in low light.
If you haven't got the grip, get one, it helps to hold the camera steady and even my shaky hands can get away with 1/60th sec using it.

The 35mm will work well in low light compared to the zoom which is slower, I usually shoot at around f2 with mine and get good results.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. In aperture mode down at 1.4 on the 35mm at auto 3200 ISO, I struggle to get 1/60 shutter speed, the max it seems to get to is 1/52 and I just get blurred shots with that.

I'll give the other modes a try and keep a look out for a grip. Mind you, the only one I particularly
I've the look of is Fuji's own.

Its a good grip, very light weight and easy to get on and off quickly for battery/card changes, I don't think mines been off the camera for more than that since I got the camera (mine was bundled with the grip) it really does make the camera handle so much better.

Another thing to watch out for is parallax, especially when using the OVF, make sure corrected AF is enabled in the menus, it helps a lot as it shows you the corrected AF point for closer objects.
Also of course you can use the EVF, when holding it try to make a stabilising triangle, ie your left hand under the lens, your right on the grip, then hold it up to your eye and tuck your elbows into your sides, that helps when using slow shutter speeds, holding it out to use the LCD just makes things get really shaky.

Put both the body and lens in the A mode :)

Ah OK, thanks... Got that one. That doesn't particularly help in terms of low light does it? All that seems to do is lock the aperture to the corresponding focal length from what I can see. Shutter speed remains constant throughout. Indoors today, for instance at 1/30.

What about manual & S - I guess S is simply selecting a shutter speed manually on the control knob and letting the rest do it's thing, correct?

I guess I should RTFM :D

Ah OK, thanks... Got that one. That doesn't particularly help in terms of low light does it? All that seems to do is lock the aperture to the corresponding focal length from what I can see. Shutter speed remains constant throughout. Indoors today, for instance at 1/30.

What about manual & S - I guess S is simply selecting a shutter speed manually on the control knob and letting the rest do it's thing, correct?

I guess I should RTFM :D

Yep if you have it on S,you can select any shutter speed you want,and the camera will select your aperture,depending on what lights is about :)

Yep if you have it on S,you can select any shutter speed you want,and the camera will select your aperture,depending on what lights is about :)

Thanks Simon. I appreciate that.

The issue I have is even in low ish light, I select 1/60, the auto ISO defaults to 6400 (as selected), yet the images are still way under exposed and showing as being under exposed on the meter too.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but I never really had this kind of issue with my 5D

Oh, I am really torn now between the X-Pro1 and the XE-2. I'm off to the camera shop tomorrow to view both and see which feels better, and which viewfinder is best. I wear a contact lens in my viewing eye, so I was unsure about not being able to change the dioptre on the X-Pro1 without spending extra. Hopefully all will become clear tomorrow!

Thanks Simon. I appreciate that.

The issue I have is even in low ish light, I select 1/60, the auto ISO defaults to 6400 (as selected), yet the images are still way under exposed and showing as being under exposed on the meter too.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but I never really had this kind of issue with my 5D

Have you try switching of auto ISO and just picking your ISO,to see if the same thing still happen ? :)

Taken from the Fuji site this morning, how disappointing :(

"Dear X-Pro1 owners,
To our great regret, the X-Pro1 firmware upgrade (Ver. 3.10) that we planned to release on December 5th has now been postponed to December 19th. We are deeply sorry for your inconvenience.

Thank you very much for using FUJIFILM X-Pro1."

Looks like a couple more weeks wait!

Taken from the Fuji site this morning, how disappointing :(

"Dear X-Pro1 owners,
To our great regret, the X-Pro1 firmware upgrade (Ver. 3.10) that we planned to release on December 5th has now been postponed to December 19th. We are deeply sorry for your inconvenience.

Thank you very much for using FUJIFILM X-Pro1."

Looks like a couple more weeks wait!

It does, but if it means there won't be any bugs (guessing they may have found some) then I would rather wait :)

^^ This. The features coming are definitely excellent additions but I can happily wait a couple of weeks.

Has anyone who has taken up the November offer of a free lens received it yet?

Yes me. It arrived yesterday late afternoon. I went for the 60mm macro. Camera was purchased at the beginning of November, so had to wait however many days it said before sending off the forms.

Yes me. It arrived yesterday late afternoon. I went for the 60mm macro. Camera was purchased at the beginning of November, so had to wait however many days it said before sending off the forms.

Excellent. Hopefully mines not far away. When did you send off the form? I sent mine off on the 22nd Nov (Friday)

I kinda wish I went for the 60mm Macro now I must admit. Especially with what I have seen from it

Sent mine off last Friday, desperately hoping my 35mm turns up on or before sat for a trip to London.

Yep i can wait for the updates,was looking forward to them.

As for the free lens offer,mine took about 1/1/2 weeks to come :)

Excellent. Hopefully mines not far away. When did you send off the form? I sent mine off on the 22nd Nov (Friday)

I kinda wish I went for the 60mm Macro now I must admit. Especially with what I have seen from it

Would have been around the 16/17th November I think. Got the camera on the 1st :)

60mm arrived today. Very pleased. Firmware update applied. Can't wait to use it tomorrow. I must say the 18mm is a cracking lens too. What a fantastic deal

Still can't decide whether I want to keep my 18-55mm or swap it out for an 18mm & 60mm prime. I like the easy nature of the zoom but much prefer a prime lens.

Could be a good time to look at such a swap out now...

I too mostly (99%+) use primes but I think that a standard zoom is a good thing to have even if you don't use it much as if you want to it'll be there in the back of the drawer, ready and waiting... but if you don't have one it wont be :D

Still can't decide whether I want to keep my 18-55mm or swap it out for an 18mm & 60mm prime. I like the easy nature of the zoom but much prefer a prime lens.

Could be a good time to look at such a swap out now...

I use mine a lot a great little lens,might be worth keeping :)

I've had a look through this thread, and did a bit of google'ing.

But have the firm wear updates to the X-pro 1 added focus peaking? :/

I've had a look through this thread, and did a bit of google'ing.

But have the firm wear updates to the X-pro 1 added focus peaking? :/

Yes, I think it was v3 of the firmware that added focus peaking. I agree re the point about having a good quality zoom to go with the primes, there were times when I owned my omd that I wished I had a good quality zoom, so since I got my xpro1 i picked up the 18-55 which is a cracker.

Now, this is what I'm finding quite frustrating as a relative newcomer to the X-Pro1 ranks. This is a SOOC image, simply exported from LR and re-sized in PS.

Focus point was on the eyes, yet they're out of focus and the background is in focus... the amount of images I end up throwing away due to this...!

Any hints or tips as to what I'm doing wrong?

DSCF4049
by mrdaveyoung, on Flickr

Single point AF? Centered?
Yes, Single Point AF, centred... focussed on his right eye as we're looking at him. The post behind his ear is in sharp focus, as is the fur coat, and the potatoes on the table.

Back focussing? I thought I had read somewhere that Fuji's due to their construction and AF detection system were not subject to these type of issues.

Yeah, Ive not had a mirrorless that had focus issues. Static tests will answer that question, it would always BF not sometimes.

Yes, Single Point AF, centred... focussed on his right eye as we're looking at him. The post behind his ear is in sharp focus, as is the fur coat, and the potatoes on the table.

Back focussing? I thought I had read somewhere that Fuji's due to their construction and AF detection system were not subject to these type of issues.

How close were you to the subject & what lens were you using

Also the aperture & lens you are using effect the DOF what in focus and whats not,also any movement by the subject if you shutter speed is to slow :)

How close were you to the subject & what lens were you using

I was using the 18-55mm zoom lens and maybe 5-6 feet away.

I'll have to check the meta data to post the rest. (Just watching Homeland at present:))

Back