The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I was an early adopter of the X Pro 1 and I can't believe what a bath I have taken on the system. Barely any point selling the thing when I get something new. The camera with 18 and 35mm cost almost £2500 back then. It's now £900 for the lot. I still love it though. It's been to Peru and the Himalaya with me and taken some real abuse. I slipped and landed on it against a rock and it still works!

so .. basically got mine from jessops as they could source everything in store . one more kit left in store in manchester, after that probably would need to wait for it to be delivered. I also had a look in amazon . since I needed a small bag anyway, this for me ended up being the best deal. and the sd card is sweat as well .
will hopefully take it out for a spin tomorrow. at first when I opened the box, felt like - OMG ! this is too beautiful ! I don't even want to touch it ! :D too precious !
now It's time to decide whether I want the 60mm or the 35mm . probably the 35 as 60+ would be covered with my tamron zoom. hopefully will master some legacy lenses with manual focusing then it's going to be the perfect camera.

I was an early adopter of the X Pro 1 and I can't believe what a bath I have taken on the system. Barely any point selling the thing when I get something new. The camera with 18 and 35mm cost almost £2500 back then.

What I find even more amazing is that the X-M1 essentially has exactly the same internals, in terms of the actual photo taking bits. That would be like Nikon putting their D800E internals in a D3200 type body and selling it for £300. Even better than that though, Fuji don't artificially change stuff like batteries, my X-Pro1 and X-M1 are interchangeable, making the X-M1 a great backup.

In the past 2 weeks I've bought the X-Pro1, X-M1, 18mm, 35mm and 60mm for £1200, all brand new, madness.

I was an early adopter of the X Pro 1 and I can't believe what a bath I have taken on the system. Barely any point selling the thing when I get something new. The camera with 18 and 35mm cost almost £2500 back then. It's now £900 for the lot. I still love it though. It's been to Peru and the Himalaya with me and taken some real abuse. I slipped and landed on it against a rock and it still works!

Ouch, that's the thing with mirrorless cameras and most APSC cameras. Served you well though.

I ordered one of these CLICKY for my new camera from the States. It arrived today. It took exactly 7 days from ordering to falling on my doormat (actually it was Special Delivery). A bit expensive but it looks absolutely fabulous on the camera. The screen protector is solid and has a silver bezel but it looks as though it is the original part of the camera. The design means that there are no bubbles or dust like the thin plastic film type protectors. Highly recommended.

Or get a ggs in the uk.
Sorry don't know what a GGS is? ,,,,,,,,,Edit,,,,,,,, just found one on Amazon.
Can't verify the quality of a GGS but I can on the American one which is excellent.

Last edited:
Well, I've gone eBay mad this morning and bought some old legacy glass... Rokkor 58mm f1.4 and a Soligor 90mm f2.5....oh, and a Lens Turbo adapter which should make things extremely interesting :)

Well, I've gone eBay mad this morning and bought some old legacy glass... Rokkor 58mm f1.4 and a Soligor 90mm f2.5....oh, and a Lens Turbo adapter which should make things extremely interesting :)

Oooh, let me know how you get on with the Rokkor - I've been thinking about one of these for a while. I bought a few Russian 50mm lenses over the summer while waiting for the 58mm Fuji to come out and they are fine but the Minolta's get a good write-up (I presume you have seen Jonas Rask's webpage?)

Oooh, let me know how you get on with the Rokkor - I've been thinking about one of these for a while. I bought a few Russian 50mm lenses over the summer while waiting for the 58mm Fuji to come out and they are fine but the Minolta's get a good write-up (I presume you have seen Jonas Rask's webpage?)

oohh...never heard of Mr. Rask, but i'll be off to have a look in a minute! Came across the Lens Turbo on the Fuji-X forums...well, I came across the Speedbooster first but can't afford £350 for one :) I like the thought of a 50mm actually having the field of view of a 50mm on a crop, as well as the extra speed. Going to be a long weekend waiting for everything to turn up :)

Apparently the MC version (which I just bought) of the 58mm is better than the Auto version.

Last edited:
Can anyone who bought the XP1 through Amazon confirm if it's ok to submit the invoice that arrives in the box when submitting the free lens claim? I wasn't sure if I needed to send that, or a print out of my order confirmation.

I've a significant birthday coming up in a few weeks and I've been planning an upgrade from my 40D. I've looked at the 6D and even the Sony A7/r, but most recently I keep coming back to user experience reviews of the X Pro1 and reminding myself that one of the reasons I've been shooting less this year is because a 'normal' DSLR just doesn't fit into a jacket pocket.

If I've done my sums correctly, with carefully sub-dividing into two orders the X Pro1 with 18mm and 60mm (free lens) plus the 35mm (Amazon voucher plus cash-back) can be had for £1,158 and I can burn a Prime trial for next-day delivery as well. Is this the best deal going?

I've a significant birthday coming up in a few weeks and I've been planning an upgrade from my 40D. I've looked at the 6D and even the Sony A7/r, but most recently I keep coming back to user experience reviews of the X Pro1 and reminding myself that one of the reasons I've been shooting less this year is because a 'normal' DSLR just doesn't fit into a jacket pocket.

If I've done my sums correctly, with carefully sub-dividing into two orders the X Pro1 with 18mm and 60mm (free lens) plus the 35mm (Amazon voucher plus cash-back) can be had for £1,158 and I can burn a Prime trial for next-day delivery as well. Is this the best deal going?

Think you've got it pretty much spot on. Wish I had the spare cash as it's an absolute steal.

I would second that Alistair! Picked one up today as the deals on it are too good to be true at the moment!! Already in love ! Feels so good in the hand ;)

I would second that Alistair! Picked one up today as the deals on it are too good to be true at the moment!! Already in love ! Feels so good in the hand ;)

agree ! I asked if I can take it out of the box before I buy it. felt very nice in the hand. and he said that they don't have it in the display because it's an expensive camera :D so couldn't try it before really . personally I don't think any camera/lens is expensive ! it's just sometimes we need to choose whether to buy a house for example or a nice hasselblad lens :D

good stuff ! :) and thanks ! such an amazing camera. still loads to learn after being used to canon's .

It's lovely to use. I tend to use mine mainly on Aperture priority with the now auto ISO setting up to 3200. It's certainly a good starting point if your new to the X system.
Occasionally slip into M when I am feeling adventurous but you get really great results from it. I wouldn't say the menu system is very cluttered either. Not compared to my old D7000 anyway.

It's lovely to use. I tend to use mine mainly on Aperture priority with the now auto ISO setting up to 3200. It's certainly a good starting point if your new to the X system.
Occasionally slip into M when I am feeling adventurous but you get really great results from it. I wouldn't say the menu system is very cluttered either. Not compared to my old D7000 anyway.

the focusing ring is the most frustrating for me. I want to be able to manually focus oldschool style as I don't want to trust the af when the shot comes. will see if I can find a legacy equivalent of the 18mm f2 :confused: , kind of makes sense now why Leica owners tend to stay with Leica though, because of the simplistic hands-on style of shooting.

the focusing ring is the most frustrating for me. I want to be able to manually focus oldschool style as I don't want to trust the af when the shot comes. will see if I can find a legacy equivalent of the 18mm f2 :confused: , kind of makes sense now why Leica owners tend to stay with Leica though, because of the simplistic hands-on style of shooting.

True. It does feel a little artificial, although not horrendous IMO. I'd love an M9 or even a Leica Monochrom but my bank wouldn't haha.

True. It does feel a little artificial, although not horrendous IMO. I'd love an M9 or even a Leica Monochrom but my bank wouldn't haha.

but then again ! I haven't left my room with it yet ! so outside I'll just probably stick to sunny 16 rule and pre-set the focus so I don't need to fiddle with anything. same reason I dislike zoom lenses. too many options and your mind is too occupied whilst you should be thinking about the shot itself. I mean - obviously I'm only speaking from my own experience and I mostly shoot street and portraits.

p.s. . wow ! just checked something ! can shoot full manual and choose auto iso and it works !!! so amazing !! so I can now have full control with zero cockup if I haven't bothered to change the iso myself. that is so sweet ! and it shows in the VF whether you're going over the limit and it's underexposing or not etc. wow ! what a camera !!! loving it more and more every minute.

but then again ! I haven't left my room with it yet ! so outside I'll just probably stick to sunny 16 rule and pre-set the focus so I don't need to fiddle with anything. same reason I dislike zoom lenses. too many options and your mind is too occupied whilst you should be thinking about the shot itself. I mean - obviously I'm only speaking from my own experience and I mostly shoot street and portraits.

p.s. . wow ! just checked something ! can shoot full manual and choose auto iso and it works !!! so amazing !! so I can now have full control with zero cockup if I haven't bothered to change the iso myself. that is so sweet ! and it shows in the VF whether you're going over the limit and it's underexposing or not etc. wow ! what a camera !!! loving it more and more every minute.

Having just a fixed focal length does make you think about the shot a lot more granted. Sounds like your getting to grips with it already. Enjoy

that full manual + auto iso isn't actually working (so will just update the firmware and stick with the MSS. I think only Pentax can do A+S set and auto iso )! :( it was just a lucky coincidence that it did indoors. made some shots today . wow ! amazed by the IQ . absolutely mesmerizing.

I find it really difficult to clean the RAW files up to the same level of the shot JPg file at times such is the difference, anyone have any suggestions...

Last edited:
I find it really difficult to clean the RAW files up to the same level of the shot JPg file at times such is the difference, anyone have any suggestions...

What software are you using? I remember reading a while back that the RAW files can give a slightly off colour. Could be worth perhaps seeing if there are any techniques out there for RAW conversions.

I haven't used RAW on the XPro I will admit. The JPEGs are pretty decent IMO and can still be tweaked a little bit. Obviously not to the extent of RAW however.

I'll be ordering an X-Pro1 just after New Year (the current free lens offer is just far too good to let slip away) and I was wondering if the lenses (the 18mm and 35 fl.4) come with lens hoods or will I need to buy them?

Thanks Ian, I had almost decided on buying from WEX at £949, until I spotted Jessops doing it for £899. WEX are giving a Billingham Hadley digital bag with it, while Jessops are giving a Manfrotto bag and 16gb SD card - I just need to figure out now whether I want another Billingham bag for the bargain price of £50 or not ;)

Back