The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I'm thinking of getting a flash for my X Pro 1. As it will not be used very often I was thinking of getting the EF-20. Does anyone have one and can give me some advice/opinion of what they think of it, or should I get something else?

I have one.

S'alright. Nice design but a little underpowered and you can only tilt from 90 - 0 degrees and not swivel. So it's hard to point behind you or to the side.

Im pretty sure you can use any flash in manual mode. Jonathan may be able to confirm.

I have a Nikon SB 600 Speedlight which I have tried on the X Pro but I cant seem to step it down enough to take a decent picture. It's too bright. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I'm thinking of getting a flash for my X Pro 1. As it will not be used very often I was thinking of getting the EF-20. Does anyone have one and can give me some advice/opinion of what they think of it, or should I get something else?

if you already have a speed light from another system, you could also just fire that with some triggers of camera.

I have a Nikon SB 600 Speedlight which I have tried on the X Pro but I cant seem to step it down enough to take a decent picture. It's too bright. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

was playing myself with an sb900 yesterday, was fine...

Last edited:
I've just ordered a SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro, I have one or two 35/45Mb/s cards for my Sony compact but there are some convincing reviews/reports that suggest the X Pro1 benefits from the faster 90Mb/s write speed so I thought I'd get at least one card at that spec.

same here ! big difference ! and have seen quite a few people suggesting that you need get the best card possible really. this sandisk is a good starting point.

Thanks Twist :)

You're welcome. I set mine up tonight and updated the FW, I like the xp1, bit chunkier than the xe1 but I don't mind, the evf isn't as good but I wouldn't say its a big difference and like the choice of ovf/evf.

Last edited:
Wow, so I sold my Sony a7 and came back to Fuji, who would've thought.

Haven't taken many shots or reviewed on a real monitor but I know what the x trans is capable of and know I'll be happy with the results.

Wow, so I sold my Sony a7 and came back to Fuji, who would've thought.

Haven't taken many shots or reviewed on a real monitor but I know what the x trans is capable of and know I'll be happy with the results.
hmm ... that's interesting. don't like the looks or ergonomics of it + the huge lenses etc. but would have thought that the IQ is wee bit better .

I really need to start using mine more. When I go out to shoot lately, I always seem to reach for the SLR. The Fuji is unloved but not worth selling financially.

hmm ... that's interesting. don't like the looks or ergonomics of it + the huge lenses etc. but would have thought that the IQ is wee bit better .

It's a very nice camera but going through my LR cats I preferred the look of my Fuji images overall, guess its a personal thing. It also helps the lenses are small and there are more high quality lenses available. Perhaps I tricked myself into thinking MF lenses could sub my AF lenses. Saving was quite large also. It's just to young as a complete system for me.

The A7 has a lot of great features though, the live view is great, tilt LCD, evf quality, peaking is better, Hi iso isn't as good as my 6d was, another nice camera.

I `ve taken advantage of the latest offer and gone for the XP1, the free 60mm arrived today. I`m looking forward to trying out my Canon ringflash with it.
I`m not sure the Fuji will persuade me to ditch the 5D2 and 7D for motorsport and wildlife though.

I `ve taken advantage of the latest offer and gone for the XP1, the free 60mm arrived today. I`m looking forward to trying out my Canon ringflash with it.
I`m not sure the Fuji will persuade me to ditch the 5D2 and 7D for motorsport and wildlife though.

I've really enjoyed shooting motorsport with my Fuji (just the X-E1 so far, will be using the X-Pro1 this year), the colours are lovely with straight from camera JPEGs...handy for me as I hate editing. I can't wait for the super telephoto zoom next year.

The 55-200 is a great lens, very sharp. My 55-200 Flickr Set...http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157634005095926/

Castle Combe Motorcycle Raceday
by Harry_S, on Flickr

Took the new X Pro to Wells Next the Sea, N Norfolk and tried it out with AE Bracketing and HDR using the 18mm lens.

Wells Next The Sea, North Norfolk. HDR
by mmayson, on Flickr

by mmayson, on Flickr

by mmayson, on Flickr

by mmayson, on Flickr

Nice set there.

I have a Wex credit note for £379.00. I am praying they come back into stock with them before the free lens cut off, so I can use my credit note.

I have a Wex credit note for £379.00. I am praying they come back into stock with them before the free lens cut off, so I can use my credit note.

I'd speak to WEX and make sure you're on the waiting list, and also give Fuji a ring to let them know too. Whether you get the camera before the end of the month or not (Amazon were estimating 4-8 weeks yesterday) you'll need a paid invoice with a date before the end of the month and the camera in your hands before the deadline for sending off the form (to get the serial number- I'm sure the claim form requires that). If WEX will guarantee delivery before the claim cut-off, it's worth paying up front to get the right date on the paperwork - and less of a risk if a decent chunk of the payment is in the form of a credit note anyway.

Oooh.. another box from the postie this morning, that should be the 35mm ;)

I've really enjoyed shooting motorsport with my Fuji (just the X-E1 so far, will be using the X-Pro1 this year), the colours are lovely with straight from camera JPEGs...handy for me as I hate editing. I can't wait for the super telephoto zoom next year.

The 55-200 is a great lens, very sharp. My 55-200 Flickr Set...http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157634005095926/

Castle Combe Motorcycle Raceday
by Harry_S, on Flickr
Nice shot Chris, but you must have been fairly close.

I'd speak to WEX and make sure you're on the waiting list, and also give Fuji a ring to let them know too. Whether you get the camera before the end of the month or not (Amazon were estimating 4-8 weeks yesterday) you'll need a paid invoice with a date before the end of the month and the camera in your hands before the deadline for sending off the form (to get the serial number- I'm sure the claim form requires that). If WEX will guarantee delivery before the claim cut-off, it's worth paying up front to get the right date on the paperwork - and less of a risk if a decent chunk of the payment is in the form of a credit note anyway.

Oooh.. another box from the postie this morning, that should be the 35mm ;)

Thanks Alastair for the advice.

Just been on the phone to Wex and sent an email to Fuji. Wex would need full payment up front to go onto waiting list, but can't give a delivery time " they are at the hands of Fuji". I am struggling to afford the purchase yet, until I sell my D7000 in classifieds. I have an expensive couple of months with new Motability car and Season Ticket for the Swans along with Christmas just gone. I have to use my camera sale money and credit note to purchase the XP1.

Fingers crossed for a quick sale of my D7000 and lenses.

Last edited:
Hurrah. White van man just dropped off my new camera. I've put the battery on charge before I posted this so as not to waste time. May as well RTFM whilst I wait for charging to finish.
And yes, I am like a kid with a new toy.

Im pretty sure you can use any flash in manual mode. Jonathan may be able to confirm.

I believe it's possible but I can't remember ever trying (hmm, £350 Nikon flash gun and £1,000 camera - let's see what happens :) ) IIRC the pinout on the Fuji is the same as the pinout on Canons. If you were going to try it, you might want to put electrical tape over all the contacts except the centre one. And obviously YouTube it if it blows up in your face.

Have you tried it in A mode (NOT AA)? That should work if you set the ISO and aperture properly. You need to dive into the menus if it shows AA.

Hurrah. White van man just dropped off my new camera. I've put the battery on charge before I posted this so as not to waste time. May as well RTFM whilst I wait for charging to finish.
And yes, I am like a kid with a new toy.

I never bothered with the manual, thats half the fun, the PDF I posted for you has a lot of useful tips though for settings once its charged, start downloading your FW updates.

I never bothered with the manual, thats half the fun, the PDF I posted for you has a lot of useful tips though for settings once its charged, start downloading your FW updates.
As I posted that I remembered the PDF You posted. The poor manual will probably be forever ignored now.
Right , how long for the battery to charge?

Thanks Alastair for the advice.

Just been on the phone to Wex and sent an email to Fuji. Wex would need full payment up front to go onto waiting list, but can't give a delivery time " they are at the hands of Fuji". I am struggling to afford the purchase yet, until I sell my D7000 in classifieds. I have an expensive couple of months with new Motability car and Season Ticket for the Swans along with Christmas just gone. I have to use my camera sale money and credit note to purchase the XP1.

Fingers crossed for a quick sale of my D7000 and lenses.

I'd go back to WEX and ask to go onto the waiting list using your credit note as a deposit (no reason why they shouldn't do that). You've then got three weeks to see if they give you a definite time-scale, to see if your Nikon sells and to decide whether or not you want to pay everything up-front to get a paid invoice with the right date on it. If WEX can't get an estimated get a delivery date from Fuji within three weeks, or if that estimate is too late to qualify for the free lens offer - then WEX should be happy to let you do what you want with the deposit (switch it to another purchase). And you're no worse off than you are now holding a credit note that limits you to a purchase from WEX.

I did see that WEX had three X Pro1 bodies in the used camera display case last week. No good if you want the free lens deal though.

I dont get on with 35mm that well either, I blame GAS. The 23mm, 35mm and 56mm look to good to ignore.

Nice shot Chris, but you must have been fairly close.

Just in a normal spectator spot at Castle Combe, it was taken at 150mm. In my experience 200mm on a crop sensor is plenty long enough at most circuits. It was even fine at the Air Tattoo, much better than expected.

Last edited:
As I posted that I remembered the PDF You posted. The poor manual will probably be forever ignored now.
Right , how long for the battery to charge?
About an hour or so for a battery charge. Are you on the 18mm deal with a free lens to come?

About an hour or so for a battery charge. Are you on the 18mm deal with a free lens to come?

Well, it must be really flat, as it's been nearly 2 hours now. I am So impatient!!
Yes, got it from Amazon with 18mm, and will get the 35 as a freebie.
Will also get a longer one too, might be the 60, or maybe the 56 if I can stretch to it.

Well, it must be really flat, as it's been nearly 2 hours now. I am So impatient!!
Yes, got it from Amazon with 18mm, and will get the 35 as a freebie.
Will also get a longer one too, might be the 60, or maybe the 56 if I can stretch to it.
That's the way I have gone too. I am waiting for the 35mm freeebie and have already bought the 60mm which is a great lens.

According to the manual, maximum charging time is 150 mins from flat. Just have to wait a bit longer.
How do I check what firmware is installed?

Back