The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Just opened the 23mm, stunning lens, weighs quite a bit compared to the 35mm, not a heck of a lot bigger, one thing thats a little disappointing is that Fuji has changed the packaging, no more black box with magnetic flap and foam insert, its just a regular box with cardboard insert.

Not major, its just a nice touch that used to set Fuji apart from the other manufacturers. If it keeps the lens price down Im all for it but it cant be much more expensive, I think most people wouldve paid the extra quid for it.

I have a Fuji 60mm Macro lens for sale in the Classifieds section if anyone is looking for one.

23mm is incredibly sharp wide open, and Im testing in rubbish dim artificial light and at quite high ISO, no need to even stop down unless you need more DOF. Very impressed so far. Balances fine on the XP1, XE1 may look/feel a little front heavy but I wouldnt think its a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
23mm is incredibly sharp wide open, and Im testing in rubbish dim artificial light and at quite high ISO, no need to even stop down unless you need more DOF. Very impressed so far. Balances fine on the XP1, XE1 may look/feel a little front heavy but I wouldnt think its a dealbreaker.

Sounds good from what you are saying your picture! Look forward to seeing some shots with it, especially wide open! Did you get it from a shop or the refurb store?

Got it from a shop, if you guys are quick theres also one left on the refurb store for £699.

Ill try get a couple quick samples up tomorrow, hopefully the weathers as nice as it was today.

Cracking price, I sold mine on eBay for £150 a week or so ago.

On an entirely unrelated note, does anyone who has received their free lens remember which courier it came from? I have a CityLink card but haven't ordered anything, but it's only been 8 days since they received my claim form.

My lens came via Citylink, and exactly seven days after applying!

This is a dangerous game. . . the 23mm looks epic and I'm considering getting one now. . even though my 35mm hasn't arrived yet!!

Just on the strength of the fact I seem to have only really got along super well with my pentax 28mm f2.8. . . that but f1.4 and with af. . . can i resist till next pay day>???????

Right I am having a right mare with firmware update. I have gone to the Fuji Support site to update the firmware. When I download the DAT file my computer is not recognising it. I have tried the body and lens files. I am running Windows 7 and I have tried the download, through Chrome, firefox & Safari.

I have downloaded a couple of programs which said they read DAT files but I am still having problems , one was Coral and other was View Reader. With these downloads it was pop up heaven, it seems I had 5 infiltrations. I have been trying this since 3.00pm on and off and my nerves are wearing thin. I even restored my computer to previous safe updates 3 times, going back to October last year..

Anybody have any suggestions. Would anybody be able to send the files to me from your computer for the body & 18mm lens, to see if it works this way, providing you have saved the updates.???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Fantastic shot Jonathan, where was it taken?

Steve

BTW, anybody thinking of trying out the Samyang 8mm, I'd say go for it.

I got one yesterday and took it out for a play today (it was on my Fuji X-E1 but that thread is a lot less busy than this one.)

Immediate thoughts
  1. Manual focus ain't so hard. Set it at 2m and f4 and it will probably be right unless you get really close. On the downside the focus ring is small and stiff.
  2. You really can get your fingers in the shot if you don't watch out.
  3. I need to stop my habit of leaning on things (walls, lampposts etc) when taking pictures. I kept noticing a shadow on the left side of the lens. It was the thing I was leaning on.
But yeah, lot of fun.

churchy.jpg

Right I am having a right mare with firmware update. I have gone to the Fuji Support site to update the firmware. When I download the DAT file my computer is not recognising it. I have tried the body and lens files. I am running Windows 7 and I have tried the download, through Chrome, firefox & Safari.

I have downloaded a couple of programs which said they read DAT files but I am still having problems , one was Coral and other was View Reader. With these downloads it was pop up heaven, it seems I had 5 infiltrations. I have been trying this since 3.00pm on and off and my nerves are wearing thin. I even restored my computer to previous safe updates 3 times, going back to October last year..

Anybody have any suggestions. Would anybody be able to send the files to me from your computer for the body & 18mm lens, to see if it works this way, providing you have saved the updates.???

Any help greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by "not recognising" the .dat file? You don't need to open it or run it, you just need to download it and copy it to a formatted memory card to insert into the camera. With the card back in the camera, turn on the camera whilst holding down the DISP button and the camera will start in firmware mode and you can start the update.

I have come across something online about .dat files being associated with certain software (not sure what, it hasn't happened for me), in which case I'd suggest putting the memory card into the reader on your PC and saving directly to the card when you download it. Or going into the appropriate setting in Control Panel and disassociating .dat files from any programmes or apps you have installed.

Alastair is spot on. You do not need to do anything with the file except drag it onto a formatted card. The camera does the rest.

Last edited:
Alastair is spot on. You do not need to do anything with the file except drag it onto a formatted card. The camera does the rest.

Yup drag camera FW to camera, hold back button down, turn on camera while holding it down and continue.

Make sure card is formatted and the only file on it is the FW.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear on previous post, tired eyes.

I was trying copying, dragging & cutting the DAT file to memory card, memory card was formatted every time I was re-trying.. The download was showing on my computer and card when copying. But, when I was trying card in camera, it was stating there was no Data on card. I was looking @ other programs mentioned above as I was thinking there was something wrong with my computer. I have never had problems updating Dat. or Bin. files in the past.

I have woken up with a fresh pair of eyes and thought the camera or memory card was faulty. I have reset camera and removed battery and used a different memory card, I was using a newish Lexar Professional 400x speed card yesterday. I have now used a Sandisk card and I have updated the body and lens on first attempt.

So either the card is faulty or the camera needed a reset or both.

Now it's happy days. Seems as if it's going to be a brightish day here so I will be a happy snapper. Hopefully my 16-50 lens will also turn up. :D

I wouldnt rely on the Lexar anymore. Decent here to, so hopefully get to test the new lens.

Last edited:
Hope you new owners are enjoying the XPro. I got out with the 14mm last weekend at Dunwich. Shots were a little so so mainly with the weather turning gloomy all of a sudden and me with the lurgie felt like I was pushing myself to shoot.
I was determined to get out with it however and it's a really impressive lens. The 14mm aspect took a little while to get used to at first I found but it's very sharp and shows minimal distortion for what is a wide angle lens. Anyone thinking about the 14mm, you won't be disappointed with it's performance.
I still have the 18mm however and keep umming and arring what to do with it. It does have the advantage of being small and light which makes it good for the street and overall makes the XPro a very light walk around.

I didn't realise you could pick the the 16-50 lens as cheap as you could. Seen a few on eBay around the £150 - £200 mark. General opinion on it seems pretty good too.

Hope you new owners are enjoying the XPro. I got out with the 14mm last weekend at Dunwich. Shots were a little so so mainly with the weather turning gloomy all of a sudden and me with the lurgie felt like I was pushing myself to shoot.
I was determined to get out with it however and it's a really impressive lens. The 14mm aspect took a little while to get used to at first I found but it's very sharp and shows minimal distortion for what is a wide angle lens. Anyone thinking about the 14mm, you won't be disappointed with it's performance.
I still have the 18mm however and keep umming and arring what to do with it. It does have the advantage of being small and light which makes it good for the street and overall makes the XPro a very light walk around.

I didn't realise you could pick the the 16-50 lens as cheap as you could. Seen a few on eBay around the £150 - £200 mark. General opinion on it seems pretty good too.

Interesting Dan. I am hankering after a 14mm too. How do the pictures and width compare to the 18mm? Do you find it AF's as fast?

My lens came via Citylink, and exactly seven days after applying!

It was indeed my 60mm. Impressive work from Fuji, exactly seven days after receiving my claim form.

Interesting Dan. I am hankering after a 14mm too. How do the pictures and width compare to the 18mm? Do you find it AF's as fast?

I would say the 14mm is a lot sharper than that 18mm all round. I found the images very crisp. The 18mm I found to be quite soft in the corners. That's probably my only complaint however.
The AF is just as quick. I can't say I noticed a great deal in it.
The 18mm is f2 so this give it a slight advantage. It's also pretty compact which can be nice. I used this image guide from Fixelpix as a guide to what extra you can get in before I took the plunge.

scales.jpg

If you like manual focus too, you will definitely like the manual focussing option on the 14mm with the distance scale.
I think the 18mm for casual shooting however is still pretty good to use. The 14mm just gives you that little bit extra especially for landscapes etc which is one of the reasons I went for it.

I picked one up from the refurb store along with the 10% offer over Xmas so it didn't come in too bad. No complaints at all with Fuji's refurb either and mega quick delivery.
You would get around £200 to £230 I think if you were to sell the 18mm to put towards a 14mm. A lot of people seem to sell the 18mm and get the 18 - 55. The general consensus seems to be that the 18mm range on the 18 - 55 gives better performance compared to the 18mm prime along with the advantage of a zoom. I have read quite a bit on this though and how noticeable it is without pixel peeping I am not sure.

Hope that kinda makes sense? I don't necessarily want to write the 18mm prime off. Some people criticise it but I think the trouble is that Fuji have brought out some really stellar lenses since releasing the X system so the 18mm can easily be overshadowed when compared.

I would say the 14mm is a lot sharper than that 18mm all round. I found the images very crisp. The 18mm I found to be quite soft in the corners. That's probably my only complaint however.
The AF is just as quick. I can't say I noticed a great deal in it.
The 18mm is f2 so this give it a slight advantage. It's also pretty compact which can be nice. I used this image guide from Fixelpix as a guide to what extra you can get in before I took the plunge.

scales.jpg

If you like manual focus too, you will definitely like the manual focussing option on the 14mm with the distance scale.
I think the 18mm for casual shooting however is still pretty good to use. The 14mm just gives you that little bit extra especially for landscapes etc which is one of the reasons I went for it.

I picked one up from the refurb store along with the 10% offer over Xmas so it didn't come in too bad. No complaints at all with Fuji's refurb either and mega quick delivery.
You would get around £200 to £230 I think if you were to sell the 18mm to put towards a 14mm. A lot of people seem to sell the 18mm and get the 18 - 55. The general consensus seems to be that the 18mm range on the 18 - 55 gives better performance compared to the 18mm prime along with the advantage of a zoom. I have read quite a bit on this though and how noticeable it is without pixel peeping I am not sure.

Hope that kinda makes sense? I don't necessarily want to write the 18mm prime off. Some people criticise it but I think the trouble is that Fuji have brought out some really stellar lenses since releasing the X system so the 18mm can easily be overshadowed when compared.

Hi Dan, thanks for the great write up. I am really quite impressed with the 18mm its really fast and very sharp. I posted a few HDR shots with it in an earlier thread which were taken in Wells next the Sea which came out OK. My only reservation with the 14mm is that in March Fuji are due to launch a 10-24mm which looks fantastic, although likely to be really expensive.

Hi Dan, thanks for the great write up. I am really quite impressed with the 18mm its really fast and very sharp. I posted a few HDR shots with it in an earlier thread which were taken in Wells next the Sea which came out OK. My only reservation with the 14mm is that in March Fuji are due to launch a 10-24mm which looks fantastic, although likely to be really expensive.

Yes I saw those and thought they came out well :). It's certainly a nice little compact lens.

I can see what your saying about the 10-24. I was thinking this before as well although the refurb price and 10% offer was too good to dismiss and spending £800+ on wide range was a little too much for me when the 14mm and 18mm would cover my needs.
Wex have it on there site as a preorder for £849.00 so yeah it's at the top end £ of the X range next to the 23mm.

Yes I saw those and thought they came out well :). It's certainly a nice little compact lens.

I can see what your saying about the 10-24. I was thinking this before as well although the refurb price and 10% offer was too good to dismiss and spending £800+ on wide range was a little too much for me when the 14mm and 18mm would cover my needs.
Wex have it on there site as a preorder for £849.00 so yeah it's at the top end £ of the X range next to the 23mm.
As a refurb, was it refurbed or was it brand new unwanted stock? Did it show any sign of use?

I got mine for £103.33 at auction. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-non-XC-16-50-mm-F-3-5-5-6-ED-Aspherical-OIS-Lens-NO-RESERVE-/321289829147?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=ZP0wWaCi%2BYc06819O6dkavJBZ1E%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The last 3 including mine have all been around the £100.00 mark at auction. The fixed price ones seem more expensive. I think people have been buying the XM-1 on Amazon with these kit lenses. These XM1 are selling for £449 at Amazon, they are then giving you a £100 credit and Fuji are offering the £100 cash back, so people are purchasing the kits for £249 after both cashbacks/credits. Sell the lens for £200 on the bay (fixed price) and you are having the XM1 body for £49.00 plus ebay fees. If I had some more spare money I would be onto the deal myself. If anyone is interested in this deal it runs until January 16th.

Link if anyone needs it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature....rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=448724527&pf_rd_i=B00DM7X69A

Last edited:
Just used this code P832A4V3T8MES for an X-Pro1 kit at the refurb store and saved £70 so if anyone is after a lens etc, there you go!

23mm, RAW, no PP, jpg convert and update, the crop is low res as its taken as a screenshot from LR preview. Nothing great, just a test of some fine detail.

Original image

100% crop @ F1.4

As a refurb, was it refurbed or was it brand new unwanted stock? Did it show any sign of use?

It came in a white box so not like retail packaging. The lens was packed inside along with all relevant papers, sealed cloth, hood etc and to be honest appeared like new. No marks or signs of wear etc after having a good look around it and could have been passed as new. You get a 12 month warranty with it like you would with a new product and obviously your in your rights to return it within the normal period if your not happy.

I was a bit unsure what to expect with refurbished but I know a few people on here have used them before with no complaints so went for it. At £200 cheaper than a brand new one I can't see what I would have got extra from buying new other than a nice black box :)
Everything been tested and thoroughly checked at Fujis end I would imagine so you should feel fairly confident. Some say with cameras especially that refurbs usually go through more of a thorough check than brand new cameras which are just produced down a factory line. A fair point perhaps?

Those crops of the 23mm from look pretty good! Must resist!!

I got mine for £103.33 at auction. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-non-XC-16-50-mm-F-3-5-5-6-ED-Aspherical-OIS-Lens-NO-RESERVE-/321289829147?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=ZP0wWaCi%2BYc06819O6dkavJBZ1E%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The last 3 including mine have all been around the £100.00 mark at auction. The fixed price ones seem more expensive. I think people have been buying the XM-1 on Amazon with these kit lenses. These XM1 are selling for £449 at Amazon, they are then giving you a £100 credit and Fuji are offering the £100 cash back, so people are purchasing the kits for £249 after both cashbacks/credits. Sell the lens for £200 on the bay (fixed price) and you are having the XM1 body for £49.00 plus ebay fees. If I had some more spare money I would be onto the deal myself. If anyone is interested in this deal it runs until January 16th.

Link if anyone needs it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature....rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=448724527&pf_rd_i=B00DM7X69A

Blimey, £103 is good! I will keep a look out for those. Cheers for the info

Sell the lens for £200 on the bay (fixed price) and you are having the XM1 body for £49.00 plus ebay fees. If I had some more spare money I would be onto the deal myself. If anyone is interested in this deal it runs until January 16th.

This is exactly what I did, although I think I lucked out by putting my 16-50 up immediately, £157 on a 5 day auction is pretty darn good looking at what they're going for now. My X-M1 ended up costing about £80 after fees if I remember correctly, which is ridiculous for a magnesium alloy body with the same sensor as the X-Pro1.

So you know the lens pouch you get with the fuji lenses?

Can you buy these separately ?

I'd like a few to keep my legacy lenses in when they are in my bag :/

So you know the lens pouch you get with the fuji lenses?

Can you buy these separately ?

I'd like a few to keep my legacy lenses in when they are in my bag :/

I would like one. Plus a replacement rubber lens hood cover as have lost one.

has anyone used the ex20 flash ? contemplating what to get . maybe a bigger one with wireless triggers would be a better idea as I'll start doing some portraits soon.

Did you get a good deal on it? The more of it I see, the more I want one.

Last edited:
Back