The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

I spoke to a Fuji rep at Calumet (Glasgow) a few months ago and he stated it's rumoured the new X-Pro2 is due around spring-16, dual slots/same styling & design as X-Pro1 body/24MP's apparently.

I'm still over the moon with my X-Pro1, I friggin adore it, in fact I'll buy another X-Pro1 to use as a second body for my camera bag. They're an amazing deceptive piece of quality equipment to capture important moments in time.

Fabulous.

I spoke to a Fuji rep at Calumet (Glasgow) a few months ago and he stated it's rumoured the new X-Pro2 is due around spring-16, dual slots/same styling & design as X-Pro1 body/24MP's apparently.

I'm still over the moon with my X-Pro1, I friggin adore it, in fact I'll buy another X-Pro1 to use as a second body for my camera bag. They're an amazing deceptive piece of quality equipment to capture important moments in time.

Fabulous.

You can get an XP1 new for crazy money now. As you say, they are great cameras. As much as I like the X-T10, after a good few months of use it feels a little soul-less compared.

I wrote my very own love letter/review of the X-Pro1 over on the Fuji Forum, as it's the season for both giving and over indulgence, I'll share it here...

Erm it's pretty damn verbose....

For no other reason than “I want too & I LOVE it” I thought I’d review my (the) XP1.

This review is merely the ramblings of an enthusiastic enthusiast, a mediocre amateur who’s entire skill (and I use the word in its loosest possible sense) set pretty much comprises thinking, ‘that looks nice, I think I’ll snap it’ a man who’s post posting technique pretty much stops at, “lets saturate the colours and make it darker”

Anyone subjected to hours of the kids show, Peppa Pig, should recognise the Mr Bull character and his catch phrase of “let’s dig up the road” well, that phrase could easily be applied to my desire to take pictures.

Now some of you may read this, and somehow get offended, how dare I say some of these things?
Well try
1) reading to the end
and
2)not skim reading.

Anyway…

Part OneSo the XP1, what’s all the fuss - mythology and downright untruths…

The XP1 is so well built, easily the best in the Fuji range?

As the kidz say “lolwhut?”

The XP1 is far bigger than it needs to be technically (don’t fret we’ll come to ergonomics later), it hasn’t got any extra stuff inside that the smaller X bodies don’t, and the net result is of a rather hollow feeling camera that belies its physical bulk. The dials have a pleasant tactile feeling, but wobble about a bit if pushed and the EV is so easy to rotate that checking it’s where you left it (it won’t be) quickly becomes second nature.

The Frame Lever sorry EVF/OVF switch is upside down IMO (well mine isn’t because I took it off and mounted it the correct way up!), it’s attachment feels flimsy and the whole mechanism for swapping between OVF & EVF feels like the camera is performing a great labour
The scroll wheel on the back feels especially flimsy, wobbling about with too much vertical play, but it does at least have the decency to double as a physical button (XT1 why don’t you have this?)
The shutter button rattles about like a ball joint that passed its useful life several thousand miles ago.

The slow operational speed of the XP1 makes me a better photographer. It gives me time to think

No. You give you time to think. BUT personally speaking the fact that the XP1 is slow, means I have to work to its pace. This helps me; I suspect that you’re already capable of thinking photographically. Perhaps you’ve even learnt to plan your shots before bringing the camera to your eye or even before you’ve left the house that day!
The honest truth IMHO is that learning a slow and quirky camera makes you better at using a slow and quirky camera. If in the course of that learning curve you learn more about photography in general, then rejoice – but take the damn credit - YOU did that, not the camera.

The XP1 files are almost film like in appearance

Are they F***. Film is film like. The XP1 is just less digital looking than other more modern cameras (like any X-Trans II camera for example)
IMO, the XP1 output is bit like CD vs MP3, sure CD sounds more analogue LIKE than MP3, but don’t be trying to tell me that CD is wild, raw and scratchy like a record (or indeed film) because it’s not.

OK so that’s my personal take on the myths and untruths, let’s move beyond this apparent unpleasantness and get straight too

Part Two Emotive engagement - the importance of being Earnest upload_2015-12-23_21-36-11.png
A crap job with a great wage is hard toil, a great job with a liveable wage is a joy to undertake

So, imHo the XP1 is not the über build quality, files like film, free photography lesson with every click, that some would have you believe.

So what.

It’s without any shadow of doubt in my mind an absolute joy to shoot with. It’s truly greater than the sum of its component parts. Like a Morgan or Westfield sports cars, less is definitely more.

In a disposable prosumer world where pretty much every camera is differentiated only by its manufacturer and lens mount, not its spec sheet, where every little black mag alloy box shares must have features that are ground into obsolescence by the next release, it is (in my opinion) an absolute bloody sheer magical delight to use a camera that’s kinda like a camera. No, I don’t mean shutter dials that miss off half speeds or fly-by-wire aperture rings or snail-by-wire focus rings – I mean a camera that doesn’t have Wi-Fi or GPS or have the need for the user to remember when to use or not to use an electronic shutter, the XP1 is a camera that demands you to either 1)know 2)figure out 3)feel out with trial & error, the best settings.

Sure this process means more balls up shots, more missed shots, harder work with moving objects, but it also means a damn sight more reward when what comes out of the camera is pleasing, you can, with complete honesty say “I made that” and you can feel proud too, because with the XP1 it might not of been easy upload_2015-12-23_21-36-11.png

This brings me to engagement, for me I like LOVE that the XP1 challenges me, it inspires me to try harder, then try harder still. OK, full disclosure… I also have a XT1, because y’know, my 3 year moves around a lot, and it’s nice to be able to shoot wide open without needing an ND filter and its nice having so many controls at my fingertips.

But the XT1 just makes me fire off more blanks than the Territorial Army, it’s a fast camera and it makes me feel the need for speed, it’s a hyper sports motorcycle, tearing up the highway, the XP1 isn’t a bike… it’s a chopper baby, cruising the highway and taking in the sights and views
[I want to work the phrase ‘Zed’s Dead’ into that last paragraph but so far it’s alluding me]

Sure the XP1 has a clearly digital output, but its files are its signature dish, run most cameras files through lightroom and they seem to turn out the same… again full disclosure, I don’t use LR, can’t get my head round it, but flick through Flickr’s explore and you’ll see many very samey shots, from many different cameras, nearly always processed with Adobe’s algorithm…

Well the XP1 DOES have something with its files… I’m not exactly sure what….
(Reading DPR I think it may be the point at which the tone curve cuts to black, but I don’t understand all those graphs and sh*t like that. Sorry.)

…but there’s a grittiness to the XP1, be it SOOC Jpeg or RAW that’s immeasurably pleasing. Words like ‘organic’ get used a lot… it’s as good as description as any… but for me, just unrelentingly pleasing, worthwhile, special
When I feel I’ve got a shot right with the XP1, I’m pleased, I feel I’ve worked for it. The XP1 as a body makes success harder to come by (than many more modern cameras), but because of this the delight when one manages to do so is tangible.

The ergonomics of the XP1 are a little bit special too. I know some people love to hate the pseudo SLR styling of many mirrorless models, but let’s be honest here, Panasonic, Olympus, Sony et el all offer “range finder” shaped bodies… well they do if you define range finder as a rectangular camera without a central VF.

No the XP1 is special as it’s just that bit bigger, that’s the plus point for that big hollow feeling that I pointed out earlier, you can actually hold the damn thing comfortably.

The other obvious thing that the XP1 has is of course that OVF.
The inclusion of an OVF is simply to be applauded, no redaction, make that a standing ovation, a design triumph worthy of a ticker tape parade.
There are those that say, The XP1 is a pseudo range finder, it’s not a true one. If you want a true digital RF, then the big L is the only game still for sale in the whole town and let’s be honest, that’s a very true statement. But it’s also a statement that is, in my view, an oxymoron. The XP1 isn’t trying to be a Leica. Up until the release of the M240 the XP1 was the only game in town that gave you the rangefinder shape, an optical VF AND the ability to use an EVF to check critical focus and framing.

And at time of writing (Aug 2015) the XP1 is still the only camera that can offer this without taking your eye away from the view finder. And let’s not forget the magic of having different strength magnifications of OVF to choose from!

The Leica cameras may indeed be the only digital range finder game in town, but the XP1 is a whole new 21st century game.
The X100T shows how this game can go, and it can go in a very good direction.
[Full disclosure: I’ve nothing against Leica, or Leica shooters and I’d like to try one, one day…]

Part Three
Accessories – pimp my ride or must haves?

The XP1 was as you’ll know, released with three prime lenses. Yup primes, the de rigueur 18-55 didn’t arrive until later.
I love the 3 original primes (& to a slightly lesser extent the XF27) they –too me- capture the essence of what the XP1 is all about, a decent sized camera body, with small primes that are fast and sharp. I’m not completely daft, I realise the 16/23/56/90 are almost certainly better lenses, but they’re comparatively big, they’re comparatively expensive and –too me- they don’t fit with the original XP1 design ethos.
[I might very well get the XF23 for my XT1 though, and the 120 macro]

The XP1 also has a leather case and the original hand grip.
IMO these products are both superb and perfectly fit with the XP1. Namely each is pretty useless if you’re in a hurry, but if you’re prepared to take your time, and accept that they need removing to access anything and that removing them is s-l-o-w then the quality is excellent.

The grip may not have Arca Swiss dovetails and a hole for the batter/card door, the case doesn’t have that handy flap of the later X100 case, but… so what?!
The case is imo very well executed, the folding down front flap has so far managed to stay attached, even when left dangling for long periods of time (unlike my X100S case that I managed to lose the top part from)

The grip truly looks like it’s part of the camera, it simply improves the grip. Immensely. The XP1, the original primes, the original accessories even have a level of luxury packaging not found on the later bodies and lenses.
So, in summary, the accessories are must haves [especially the lenses upload_2015-12-23_21-36-11.png] they add to the camera, and they enrich the overall ownership experience.

I also tried an eye cup from another camera (didn’t like it) and I’ve fitted a soft release (love it) I also use 2 spare aftermarket batteries (no issues with them so far, after 15 months)

Conclusion
OMG dear reader, are you really still here? Oh no wait, now I get it, you skipped straight to this bit didn’t you?!!!

OK, so as I set out very clearly, just over 1900 words ago, I love this camera. I’ve even owned the damn thing twice.

Now for me, the XP1 is famous for myths and untruths.

It’s not the last word in build quality. It’s the first of a line of steadily improving X bodies

Yes, yes, YES – I get it. The D Pad buttons are nicer to push than the blind key hole surgery that is the XT1 D Pad. S-LO-W C-L-A-P. That doesn’t make for a superior build. You might prefer it (on the XP1), sure why not, but IMO the XT1 is a superiorly manufactured product in so many ways

The XP1 is neither a Leica M clone nor a Leica wannabe. It’s a rangefinder concept camera born and dragged kicking and screaming with life into the twenty first century. People need to cut the umbilical cord on this Leica/Fuji sh*t. I suspect future iterations of the M will be more comparable to the XP1 than vice versa…. Just a hunch.

The slowness of the XP1 doesn’t make you a better photographer. You make you a better photographer, BUT the XP1 is a fine tool to take with you on that journey.

The XP1 files don’t look like film. The look like XP1 files, not like Sony/Panasonic/Olympus files, not even like XT1 files, they look like XP1 files. Rejoice in them - for identity is important.

The Hybrid OVF is ingenious and very special.

OK… I think I’m done…..

If you care my Flickr is in my signature.

All my XP1 Flickr pics can be found here

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjUEpU8D

Regards
Adam

I've just bought an X-Pro 1 here and now I'm wondering what lenses are the best performers with this camera.

Any ideas folks? What should I be buying first?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg The new 35mmf2 lens is brilliant on the x-pro1 body. In good light it is lightening fast and very very quiet :). It will hunt a little in low light but nothing like the old f1.4 (which is still a great lens also). I've taken some great memories with this lens. Here's some samples over the last few days @Doormat

I've just bought an X-Pro 1 here and now I'm wondering what lenses are the best performers with this camera.

I'd highly recommend both the Fuji XF35mm f/1.4 and the fabulous XF18mm f/2, these two lenses are SUPERB quality performers for little money.

Happy Xmas to you.

Regards;
Peter
Scotland

They're all great (seriously) but the 27/2.8 is great as a do it all lens :)

In my humble opinion the XF27mm f2.8 definitely gives 'the best bang for the buck' - at less than £200 new, it's a steal!
If you want a value for money zoom lens - it's the XF 18-55mm f2.8-4. Fabulous for a (so-called) 'kit' zoom.
Other than those, all the Fuji lenses are great - 'you pays your money, and you takes your choice!'.

The X-Pro1 was designed around the 3 original primes (18, 35 f1.4 & 60)

Of the 3, the 35 would be my personal choice and is the one that's most often on my camera, I own all 3 plus the 27.

Wow. The 35/1.4 is getting many compliments. I'll start there. The 27mm came with the camera so thats all good.

Thanks for all the help.

At the end of the day Fuji don't make a bad lens, they are all good (even the plastic bodied ones), one of the main differences with the newer lenses is that the focussing speeds are faster, the original 18/35/60 lenses are quite ponderous!!

In the primes, there are a couple of exceptional lenses, and they are the 23mm and the 56mm. I expect that I'd add the 90mm to that list once I've used it more, but if someone said today you can only keep two lenses I'd keep the 23 and 56.

You certainly won't be disappointed with the IQ of the 35mm, but you might curse its focussing speed from time to time. If you already have the 18 and 27 as part of the kit, then I would be more inclined to go for the 56mm if funds allowed, to give not only a great lens but a wider range of focal lengths

Just received an email this afternoon from Calumet showing their 'End Of Year' sale, advertising a X-Pro1 with XF18 & XF27mm lenses for £499. Pretty decent me thinks. Just wanted to share the (Fuji) love;

Link below;
https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/...tm_campaign=uk_enews_241215&t=CM02&a=CM02&cal

:hug:

I've always fancied an X Pro 1 - there's only one thing stopping me, and that's the fact that there is no diopter adjustment on the viewfinder, and the ones they used to supply appear to be no longer available. I do not like using spectacles when I'm using the viewfinder, and I need a +3 adjuster!
It's really winding me up!!

I'm just looking back on some older shots I've taken in my photo library, the XF18mm f/2 which I stupidly sold last year is back on my list to buy again asap, it's a very underrated piece of Fuji glass.....!

Glencoe - Scotland;

Glencoe by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

Lets give the 18mm a bit more love, for the price & size its a great lens... Post some of your best shots with the 18mm below... Thanks.

I'm just looking back on some older shots I've taken in my photo library, the XF18mm f/2 which I stupidly sold last year is back on my list to buy again asap, it's a very underrated piece of Fuji glass.....!

Glencoe - Scotland;

Glencoe by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

Lets give the 18mm a bit more love, for the price & size its a great lens... Post some of your best shots with the 18mm below... Thanks.
I got the camera with the 18mm and 27mm, I agree with your opinion about the 18mm, a cracking lens. I'll have to get out with mine after Christmas and see what it can do

18-55 is a very good lens and what I have on mine most of the time. It also looked good on yours............

View attachment 52862 View attachment 52863 View attachment 52864 View attachment 52869 View attachment 52871 The new 35mmf2 lens is brilliant on the x-pro1 body. In good light it is lightening fast and very very quiet :). It will hunt a little in low light but nothing like the old f1.4 (which is still a great lens also). I've taken some great memories with this lens. Here's some samples over the last few days @Doormat

I love the look to these images Nick, a little dark (I love dark) but with bright colours

18-55 is a very good lens and what I have on mine most of the time. It also looked good on yours............

I'm reading good reviews of this lens and it covers all the focal lengths I'd ever use. It's got be a first purchase.

I'm reading good reviews of this lens and it covers all the focal lengths I'd ever use. It's got be a first purchase.

And you ought to b able to get a really good used one for no more than £200!

I've always fancied an X Pro 1 - there's only one thing stopping me, and that's the fact that there is no diopter adjustment on the viewfinder, and the ones they used to supply appear to be no longer available. I do not like using spectacles when I'm using the viewfinder, and I need a +3 adjuster

Same here, I need a +2, also rather partial to a wireles remote or a corded version, not too keen on the old fangled cable jobs

I bought a +2 from Robert White, one of the only places I could find them at the time. The rubber surround is a little thicker than the Fuji diopter.

I read that the Voigtlander (Bessa) ones fit, and maybe the Nikon ones?
Might be wrong on the Nikon though.

I've always fancied an X Pro 1 - there's only one thing stopping me, and that's the fact that there is no diopter adjustment on the viewfinder, and the ones they used to supply appear to be no longer available. I do not like using spectacles when I'm using the viewfinder, and I need a +3 adjuster!
It's really winding me up!!
Old Nikon ones fit, you can pick them up of EBay quite cheaply. I bought a -3 for mine sometime ago.

I expected to get flamed for this...

But I've never quite understood the dioptre woes (perhaps 'cos the standard one does me fine)

Sure you eff about getting the one you need, sure that must of been REALLY frustrating when the Pro was first released and no was sure about Fuji's measurement grading or what other brands would fit

But now it's all a known quantity, there's plenty of advice on the 'net, you gets your dioptre and it never bothers you again, no?

Unlike all the cameras I've got/had with adjustable diopters that get knocked and turned and it always takes me a second or two to figure out why everything looks a bit blurry... I love that my XP1 never does that to me!

So, my Dad came over this afternoon and delivered my Christmas Pressy
Looks like everyone is doing the £499 deal now.
Anyway, I was surprised the serial number starts with 54M, the two lenses are very nice, my favourite already is the 18mm f2, not sure I will use the full case but the bottom half looks good on the camera.
Might manage to get out this afternoon for a few quick pics in the woods.

Just noticed, it has the steel inserts in the strap lugs to stop them wearing out.
Hi Allan you might want to get one of these for your 18mm f2.0
Best price I have found for today and won't break the bank :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=39mm+lens+hood&_sop=2

Yes it does and yes it will with legacy glass too!

It's actually a really capable camera, I don't just mean the usual rhetoric of "if you take it slow, it works" (which is a perfectly true statement) but if you set it up to get the best from it, then there's not that much you can't do with it...

Ok so high speed subject tracking is off the menu, but so much of the criticism levelled at it can easily be over come by using the features it has.

The "classic complaint" (and full disclosure, I used to think/say this) is its too slow for shots of my kid. Even if I focus trap the shutter lag misses the shot. Well set your trap, lock AF (or MF) switch back to the OVF, lock exposure with the shutter (which all but kills the shutter lag in aperure priority mode) and use the frame lines, anticipate the moment, and you'll get that shot!

I should of posted this seperately, I'm sure that Wibbly knows all of this and I'm not at all OT to the post I'm quoting of his!
Thanks for the share :)

They're all great (seriously) but the 27/2.8 is great as a do it all lens :)

+1 :agree: But I find the 18mm f2.0 to be my fave out of the small Arsenal I have for my Fuji X cameras :fuji:

Wow. The 35/1.4 is getting many compliments. I'll start there. The 27mm came with the camera so thats all good.

Thanks for all the help.
I'm guessing you got the two kit lenses ? With the camera I recently purchaser the 35mm f1.4 and 90mm f2.0 thinking I have always had something around 50mm on FF or DX equivalent. But I have found I'm leaning more to the 27mm as it's a good compromise between a 35mm & 50mm eq I then move up to the 56mm 1.2 for longer reach.
Don't get me wrong the 35mm f1.4 is tack sharp but I'm only reading good things about the new 35mm f2.0.
I do tend to lean towards w/a lenses these days but we all have different styles.
What I can say is what ever Fuji lens you go for next you won't be disappointed 60mm macro is next on my list :fuji:

Last edited:
Oops duplicate post sorry

Thanks, the lens comes with a hood and rubber cap that fits on the end. Adds a bit of bulk but looks good
Sorry mate your right it does I meant for the 27mm f2.8 :( It's 39mm thread doh !

Last edited:

But I've never quite understood the dioptre woes (perhaps 'cos the standard one does me fine)

Sure you eff about getting the one you need, sure that must of been REALLY frustrating when the Pro was first released and no was sure about Fuji's measurement grading or what other brands would fit

But now it's all a known quantity, there's plenty of advice on the 'net, you gets your dioptre and it never bothers you again, no?

Unlike all the cameras I've got/had with adjustable diopters that get knocked and turned and it always takes me a second or two to figure out why everything looks a bit blurry... I love that my XP1 never does that to me!

That's kind of true, there is quite a lot of conflicting advice about what diopter to get, I know when I bought mine a couple of years ago it took me a couple of goes to get it right, and now it's definitely not right as my prescription has changed - I know that more than ever simply looking through my X-Pro1.

I also shoot with an X-T1 and believe me an adjustable diopter is so much more flexible to use!

I think the confusion comes in when you realise the viewfinder is set at -1 with a 0 lens fitted. You just need to take this into account when you work out which diopter lens you need.
Lots of people just use their reading glasses, but while you are getting the adjustments right, you can still use the rear screen.
First diopter i bought was a +1, which was no good, so went up to a +2, same as my reading glasses. The image in the OVF ( although not the setting overlay) is a bit oof, so I have ordered a +3 to see if that makes any difference.
Back in the day, many cameras were fitted with screw in diopter lenses, nobody seemed to bother too much, they just got on with it. There are plenty of diopter lenses about from Fuji, Cosina, Voigtlander and Nikon, as long as you get the 19mm thread ones, you have a good chance of getting it right.

Back