The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Thanks Stephen,but I don't have an xpro 1 ,I had Peters mint one that my friend bought and sold to me,lovely camera

A capture from yesterdays Easter drive, this is beautiful Aberfoyle (Central Scotland) with the basic XF18-55mm kit lens.

Aberfoyle - Dukes Pass by APM Photography, on Flickr

XP1 - XF18-55mm - iso 200 - @ f/9 - handheld

I can't compete with that level of scenery Peter - here's one from last year with an industrial backdrop:-

RNLI%20Hamble_zpsvt3sokr2.jpg

RNLI Hamble - with the Esso Fawley refinery in the background - where the river Hamble meets Southampton Water. X-Pro1 and XF55-200

Andrew, how you find the auto focus shooting the XP1 with XF55-200mm attached?

Our Sunday outing using the exact same combo I really struggled then gave up as it simply wouln't lock focus when taking shots of our static dog (as above), that dog shot of mine above was (lucky) manual focus. I must have lost around 20/25 shots of our dog as the green focus box would NOT lock on, I adjusted the size of the focus box much larger and still it wouldn't do it. In the end I gave up, simply would not focus at all, was raging!

My last XP1 I owned was exactly the same with the XF55-200mm, when I got home I attached the same lens onto my XT1 and there wasn't any focusing issues, works perfectly well.

I can't work it out (???), It bloody annoyed me on Sunday trying to shoot our static (non moving) dog.

:(

Last edited:
Andrew, how you find the auto focus shooting the XP1 with XF55-200mm attached?

Our Sunday outing using the exact same combo I really struggled then gave up as it simply wouln't lock focus when taking shots of our static dog (as above), that dog shot of mine above was (lucky) manual focus. I must have lost around 20/25 shots of our dog as the green focus box would NOT lock on, I adjusted the size of the focus box much larger and still it wouldn't do it. In the end I gave up, simply would not focus at all, was raging!

My last XP1 I owned was exactly the same with the XF55-200mm, when I got home I attached the same lens onto my XT1 and there wasn't any focusing issues, works perfectly well.

I can't work it out (???), It bloody annoyed me on Sunday trying to shoot our static (non moving) dog.

:(

TBH Peter, I haven't had a problem - in fact, I didn't know that there was an issue. I shoot mainly static objects and it usually finds focus in the way it normally does. I even shot butterflies in the garden last year and achieved a reasonable success rate.

I'll have another play and report back

Well, I've just attached the 55-200 onto the XP1 and walked around the house trying it out. Focusing was fine, in fact 100% success with over 25 attempts - even my black dog fast asleep in his bed. I've not tried anything moving but then I probably wouldn't use the XP1 for a moving subject anyway. So, no problem here Peter - what firmware are you on - mine is 3.7 form the body and 1.2 for the lens.

Well, I've just attached the 55-200 onto the XP1 and walked around the house trying it out. Focusing was fine, in fact 100% success with over 25 attempts - even my black dog fast asleep in his bed. I've not tried anything moving but then I probably wouldn't use the XP1 for a moving subject anyway. So, no problem here Peter - what firmware are you on - mine is 3.7 form the body and 1.2 for the lens.
Thanks for that info Andrew, appreciated.

I mainly shoot static photo's myself about 99% of the time, before I headed out on Sunday I updated ALL my six Fuji XF lenses along both XP1 and XT1 bodies. As I said my last owned XP1 body with XF55-200mm lens had the same problems doing the exact same thing re focus issues, very very annoying alright...!!!
I was shooting with a high 800 iso setting in really decent light conditions to try see if that was a problem, but it didn't seem to matter, not very inspiring or confidence building!

Thank you Andrew!

If anyone else can shed light on this (focus) subject issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Peter

@macvisual

The fact that it is fine on your X-T1 suggests Lens is ok, the fact that it happened on both your X-Pro1 suggests that its probably not a camera fault, so it suggests a configuration difference between your X-Pro1 and @Rosedalelad

1) Are you both shooting in the same mode AF-S/AF-C?
2) If in AF-S are you both in Multi or Area submodes?
3) I assume that you are both using EVF?

@macvisual

The fact that it is fine on your X-T1 suggests Lens is ok, the fact that it happened on both your X-Pro1 suggests that its probably not a camera fault, so it suggests a configuration difference between your X-Pro1 and @Rosedalelad

1) Are you both shooting in the same mode AF-S/AF-C? Yes
2) If in AF-S are you both in Multi or Area submodes? using Area mode, but also tried Multi, no joy.
3) I assume that you are both using EVF?
Yes, used both EVF etc...

Is this a common problem? I had a quick look on the Fuji x forum and didn't see any negative posts. Tempted to get this lens for my XPro1 but if there are AF issues.
The XF55-200mm lens works perfectly well on my XT1, no issues whatsoever, I recently got a huge print of our dog taken with XT1 and XF55-200mm and it's stunning quality.
So it's not a lens issue, just a XP1 issue of some sort which I can't work out, I thought updating the firmware would have maybe cured it, but hey ho, no.

Annoying

The XF55-200mm lens works perfectly well on my XT1, no issues whatsoever, I recently got a huge print of our dog taken with XT1 and XF55-200mm and it's stunning quality.
So it's not a lens issue, just a XP1 issue of some sort which I can't work out, I thought updating the firmware would have maybe cured it, but hey ho, no.

Annoying

What's the XP1 serial number Peter - mine is a very late production 3Q 2015

I'm guessing the serial number is located on the battery door on base of camera, if so it's; 22N03413

Peter
So yours is an early 2Q 2012 - I'm not sure if this makes a difference and any modifications should have been in the updated firmware but.....

So yours is an early 2Q 2012 - I'm not sure if this makes a difference and any modifications should have been in the updated firmware but.....
Yes, when I received the XP1 recently I carried out a firmware update as it was not current spec. All up to date now.

:)

I have an X-Pro1 number 53M01691.
I have attached my 55-200 and whilst focus is not the quickest around, it shows the green box when it acquired it. Which for the most part was all the time.
I have no idea what firmware version its on.

I have an X-Pro1 number 53M01691.
I have attached my 55-200 and whilst focus is not the quickest around, it shows the green box when it acquired it. Which for the most part was all the time.
I have no idea what firmware version its on.

Mine is 53MO1795 so these are both late production models. Anyone else with an early 2012 and an XF55-200???

And another example with the 55-200 - my Montana. I would have thought that this one would test the AF as there are so many objects to focus on but again, I can't remember any hesitation or problems with it.

Montana_zpstxweiilz.jpg

Can't say I ever had problems with focussing when I had the Pro1 & 55-200. It wasn't extremely fast but not the slowest combo I've ever used either. Here are a few shots in a variety of situations, nothing too challenging focus wise.

ISO200 f7.1 1/420 67mm
XPRO0046.jpg

ISO4000 f3.5 1/160 55mm
XPRO0065.jpg

ISO200 f4.8 1/70 200mm
XPRO0503.jpg

ISO400 f4.5 1/640 86mm
XPRO0836.jpg

These were all from early to mid 2014 so the camera would have been from late 2013

Last edited:
Haven't picked up my camera gear for quite a while now, only yesterday whilst out a motorcycle ride I brought with me the XP1/XF18-55mm, took a run up to Gleneagles Hotel and found by luck many exotic super cars gathered. Mega bucks and extremely high brake horse powered vehicles.

Lambo - V12

Lambo V12 by APM Photography, on Flickr

XP1 - XF18-55mm - @ f/7.1 - iso 200 - 18mm end

Does her bum look big in that? :)

Went to Mottisfont Abbey yesterday - hopeful of some good photos with the X-Pro1 / XF18mm. But the lighting was very harsh and the place so crowded - even just after opening!!
So I came back a bit disappointed :-(

Mottisfont Rose Garden by Andrew R, on Flickr

Not the best image but hey-ho

Back