The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Sized for the web, I can't see the grain. - it looks great!
Welcome to TP :)

Thank you! And thank you ;)

Superb thread you started here. Went through it entirely in the past few days while waiting for the camera. It could be used as a model for friendly, civilized and helpful behavior on the forums. And the amount of photography posted here is just incredible. One reason I don't participate in most forums is that most are not like this thread!

Hi memorire and welcome to TP.
I love the grain particularly around the girl's chair.
Was the shot taken in Germany?
Rhodese.

Thank you very much. Yes it was taken yesterday in an Irish pub in Heidelberg. It was a really sad couple. I think they were about to break up or something like that. They barely talked, very closed body language, did not smile at all. It was uncomfortable watching them heh

Thank you very much. Yes it was taken yesterday in an Irish pub in Heidelberg. It was a really sad couple. I think they were about to break up or something like that. They barely talked, very closed body language, did not smile at all. It was uncomfortable watching them heh

Hello "memorire" - I am so glad you posted your photo, and followed it up with the explanation because it has straightened my head out as to why I feel compelled to write what Dave calls a "mini-blog" (God forbid!) to accompany my own efforts.

Early this morning when I first saw your post, I reacted like Duncan - you know, "Nice photo, and can't see the grain" and passed by. But your subsequent insight into the couple's behaviour had me looking again and again - I mean who hasn't 'been there', felt the pain, and behaved that way? You see, I think it a relatively rare photo that stands on its own, 'explaining' its own context: certainly none of mine do. Many months ago Duncan encouraged us to 'write up' our shots, and this gave me the 'green light', although I think his intention was to illuminate the technicalities rather more than my offerings do!

Very well done indeed! My only suggestion would be is: let the explanation actually accompany the photograph.

And, by the way, welcome to the thread!

Pete

Hey guys and gals,

first time poster here from Germany.

I must say this thread made me register on the forums. Stunning pictures from the beginning and very friendly and helpful people here.

I just bought the X10 today and so far pretty impressed by it.

Went out a bit and made some pictures. This one is the only one which I like. The iso was pretty high (1600) so it is a bit grainy but still looks ok I hope.

Take care!

It's a wonderful study. For me it absolutely stands on its own merit. No explanation needed. Well done, and welcome.

6567 posts all about one camera model (OK, 3 if you include its siblings!) kind of tells a story about just how good the baby X cameras are! I've actually got my '10 back at the moment - I've sold it to a mate but it's got a stuck lens so won't turn on.

Since I give (basically) a 12 month warranty on any kit I sell to mates, I was going to pay for Fuji to fix it but because it's had a new sensor, Fuji extended the warranty until 10/7/13. Since I registered the fault before then, I'm assured that the repair will be done under warranty unless the fault's been caused by a user, even though I bought the thing pre-loved. Very impressed with Fuji's efficiency so far - they had a returns box and pre-paid envelope with me within 24 hours of registration and the box came loaded with foam as extra padding. Hoping that the workshop are as efficient as their "front of house" staff!

Keeping the '10's baby brother (XF-1) and try to avoid looking at X-20s when I visit camera shops... I don't NEED one and there are still a few issues I have with the X-20's features, although IMO it's an improvement on the x-10, it's still just too flawed for ME. I am tempted though!!!

Hello "memorire" - I am so glad you posted your photo, and followed it up with the explanation because it has straightened my head out as to why I feel compelled to write what Dave calls a "mini-blog" (God forbid!) to accompany my own efforts.

Early this morning when I first saw your post, I reacted like Duncan - you know, "Nice photo, and can't see the grain" and passed by. But your subsequent insight into the couple's behaviour had me looking again and again - I mean who hasn't 'been there', felt the pain, and behaved that way? You see, I think it a relatively rare photo that stands on its own, 'explaining' its own context: certainly none of mine do. Many months ago Duncan encouraged us to 'write up' our shots, and this gave me the 'green light', although I think his intention was to illuminate the technicalities rather more than my offerings do!

Very well done indeed! My only suggestion would be is: let the explanation actually accompany the photograph.

And, by the way, welcome to the thread!

Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you for the welcome and for the kind words.

I agree with you but also with Trevor.

The way I see it is that some pictures need the context sometime to fully develop their effect.

Usually it is with people like that. You shoot a situation, but sometimes it is usefull to know something about the situation to appreciate the moment.

But some pictures are self-explanatory. Take for example your pictures of the cathedral on this page. You have the majestic building and gorgeous color from the sunset. It is beautiful, no need for context, it speaks for itself. Also landscapes or abstract art.

But with people shots, or photos that comment the current socio-economical or political events, or photos that carry a message the context is really needed. For example the guy with the tank on the Tiananmen Square. Unless you know the all the events and the situation which it represents it is an impressive picture nevertheless but you can not really "get" it. So yeah I agree with you there!

Trevor, thank you very much! I hope I will be able to catch more such moments!

Duncan,

not really :) Sometimes I skipped forward to the photos haha So it did not take me "that" long alltogether!

Well - I've got a confession.
Today was the first day of a three day festival and I didn't use the X10.
Maybe it's because I've got my big cameras working for their living, maybe I'm not feeling the need to document everything in the same way I used to.
I'm not sure why X10 stayed in the bag...

This is especially weird because I was shooting with a lens combination that deliberately pushed my boundaries. - just an 8-15 fish eye and 300mm f4.
Putting it mildly - the shots from the big cameras are 'distinctive'.
The X10 was there to take care of everything else. :|
Two more days to go - so who knows.....

Here are a couple I took yesterday watching stage 13 of the Tour de France.

9272887418_2c843c2684_o.jpg

9272890286_833cb0d698_o.jpg

While on holiday recently, I got a bit carried away with the pano mode on my XF-1 and after some faffing at the shop (Macs, large files, wireless transfer...) I've had some of them printed 24" wide. A selection of 120, 180 and 360 degree images which I resized to 240ppi and 24" wide before dropping them onto a single image that ended up 86" long!

Apart from some banding in the sky (which I usually get even when shooting in manual with fixed settings on a DSLR), they're fantastic! Well up there with D70 and D200 based multi shot panos. All shot handheld rather than spun on a tripod but I'm thinking about a simple spinning system so I can get the horizon more level next time.

Not sure if anyone from Fuji's design dept will ever see this but here's my wishlist for future models of the baby X series...
Better in VF info, ideally including a level.
Bigger sensor.
Smooth black leather on camera and case (the tan leather's smooth on the XF-1, why can't the black be?)
A fully collapsible lens like the XF's on a body with an OVF and a hotshoe.
And that's pretty much it for me - anyone else got any tweaks they'd make to the series?

The collapsible lens on the XF-1 is the bit I didn't like and I prefer the more solid feeling of the X10 lens - which sort of highlights the difficulty in pleasing everyone :)

All I would probably want is a larger viewfinder - suppose the camera may need to grow in height to accommodate but I use the viewfinder almost 100% of the time and have the rear screen turned off so the bigger the better for me.

A larger sensor would be nice as coming from a Nex 5 there is a clear drop in IQ but the joy of using the X10 somehow makes up for it. A larger sensor would mean a bigger lens though if trying to keep the f2 - f2.8 range.

I know what you mean about the collapsibility of the lens but the pocketability that it adds is what attracted me to the XF over the X-10. In fact, when I bought the XF, I had actually gone in to play with (and buy) either an X-10 (as inspired by this very thread) or a Nikon 1 series (inspired by that thread) but neither fitted my shirt pocket. The sales advisers both pointed me at the XF as being an X-10 in a more compact package (OK, a couple of differences but just as good results!) and after a play (including a look at the results from all 3 contenders), I left with the XF. As you say, horses for courses! I did end up with an X-10 as well but sold it on as a friend wanted one for his (non photographer but wanted a decent step up from a P&S) wife. It's the X-10's lens that has locked up so it's back with Fuji for a warranty repair!
TBH, I can see myself ending up with an X-20 but I'll wait until they're around 2nd hand or £300 new because I'm tight!

All the above, though I’m not too bothered about the sensor. I would like a vary angle screen, a viewfinder, with parallax lines something like the “Yashica Electro” series, and a case that accommodates the fitted hood and filter.
I know its goes against the grain but a bigger version would be nice for people like me that has large and crippled hands.
Rhodese.

Saddleworth crown bowls sunday lunch time.
Pan 4 shots stitched with PTAssembler (Little to no distortion.)

Last edited:
Terry that’s ace. (y)
4 pans 120s, 180s please tell.

Here’s a vertical 120 pan from messing about in the garden, yesterday morning.
Plus a couple of random shots taken from a boat load of o never minds.

Lilly001.jpg

Lilly002.jpg

Lilly003.jpg

The light was extreme so I went to manual and tried pick and mix, you can with digital it doesn’t cost as much as film, HA HA. :LOL:

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Terry that’s ace. (y)
4 pans 120s, 180s please tell.

These were not sweep pans, Just four hand held manual shots with plenty of overlap stitched in PTAssembler.

It gives a better projection than the cylindrical ones obtained by sweep action. the included angle of view is only limited by the number of shots taken. (The projection I used was recti-perspective which ensures all converging lines are straight rather than curved)

That is lovely set of flower shots in your garden.

These were not sweep pans, Just four hand held manual shots with plenty of overlap stitched in PTAssembler.

It gives a better projection than the cylindrical ones obtained by sweep action. the included angle of view is only limited by the number of shots taken. (The projection I used was recti-perspective which ensures all converging lines are straight rather than curved)

Yes, I guessed that that was the technique you had used.
Again, a cracking picture.

Rhodese.

Essexash,

I hope it will be that nice when I’m on holiday that way soon.

Rhodese.

Back I post #6567 I said that my X-10 was on its way back to Fuji for a warranty repair. Well, I posted it off to them on Saturday, had an e-mail yesterday to tell me it had arrived and another today to tell me that it's on its way back! It's a slightly sad state of affairs that I'm so surprised at such good customer service! It was right at the end of its extended (due to the warranty being restarted after a sensor swap) warranty - in fact, I sent it off a couple of days after the warranty had expired (after registering the repair two days before the warranty ended) and I have been completely upfront with them about it being second hand.

I'm so impressed that I'm extremely tempted to get an X-20 now! In fact, even before the latest development, I have approached my local dealer about trading in a couple of redundant lenses against one. Just need to remember where I've stashed them! Should be enough change coming my way to pay for a case - I've already got spare batteries since some came with the X-10 and I kept them to use in the XF-1.

Just ordered a Fuji X20 Referb

They have gone down to £399.98 less £40 on Code: PAYPAL12Just 364.99 inc postage.

Last edited:
Given my good experience with Fuji as a company, I would be going down the refurb route but I'm using some old lenses to finance my X-20 so will be buying new from a dealer. It's likely to cost me around £440 or so (plus case) but since the lenses have been sitting in a cupboard for a while, it's almost as though it's a free camera! (Well, that's what I'm telling myself [and my wife!]) I have some spare batteries and cards (I use old SD cards rather than SDHC since my little postcard dyesub printer can't read the HC ones) so I shouldn't have to wait for the battery to charge before playing. Just hope they have the X-20 in silver in stock (I can wait for a case).

Given my good experience with Fuji as a company, I would be going down the refurb route but I'm using some old lenses to finance my X-20 so will be buying new from a dealer. It's likely to cost me around £440 or so (plus case) but since the lenses have been sitting in a cupboard for a while, it's almost as though it's a free camera! (Well, that's what I'm telling myself [and my wife!]) I have some spare batteries and cards (I use old SD cards rather than SDHC since my little postcard dyesub printer can't read the HC ones) so I shouldn't have to wait for the battery to charge before playing. Just hope they have the X-20 in silver in stock (I can wait for a case).

Just a quick note on the SD cards. It's worth getting a good quality high speed card for the X20 or the performance won't be as it should be. The problem is you're almost certainly looking at an SDHC or newer to get that.

An old SD card will work in it but the camera may slow down its operation.

That's how I understand it anyway. Somebody else feel free to correct me.

I was rather smitten with Rhodese's almost overwhelming flower shots, taken in direct sunlight. I seem able only 'to do' flowers in more diffused light conditions.

His and Terry's recent discussion of how the latter's 'bowling pano' was achieved went over my head - I doubt I shall ever attain such ingenuity. Anyway, Terry's comments reminded me of some shots taken a week or two ago, and how intrigued I've become with the X10's 'sweep pano' function:

A DAY'S DALLIANCE IN DORSET'S DELIGHTFUL DOWNS AND DALES

A trip down to Compton Abbas airfield in Dorset takes you into country you must investigate. This walk invites you down the ridge on the right (steep enough to be called an 'escarpment' I think), across the valley in which the village of Compton Abbas lies, and back to the airfield via the escarpment to the left:

DSCF4349-2 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

In the valley between the escarpments, a routine pano, despite its inherent distortions, looks 'normal':

DSCF4362 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

However, turning around to photograph the footpath whence I'd come, produced this rather weird effect which from previous experience, I guess I should have anticipated, but didn't: the sprouting maize (if that is what it is) lay in straight lines, not in the manner depicted - obvious really if I'd thought about it:

DSCF4361 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

There were other shots, of course, in my attempts to celebrate the Dorset countryside; not posted because, I'm always mindful that - to misquote GBS - ''the enjoyment of a wine is not enhanced by having one's mouth always full of it."

Pete

I was rather smitten with Rhodese's almost overwhelming flower shots, taken in direct sunlight. I seem able only 'to do' flowers in more diffused light conditions.

His and Terry's recent discussion of how the latter's 'bowling pano' was achieved went over my head - I doubt I shall ever attain such ingenuity. Anyway, Terry's comments reminded me of some shots taken a week or two ago, and how intrigued I've become with the X10's 'sweep pano' function:

A DAY'S DALLIANCE IN DORSET'S DELIGHTFUL DOWNS AND DALES

A trip down to Compton Abbas airfield in Dorset takes you into country you must investigate. This walk invites you down the ridge on the right (steep enough to be called an 'escarpment' I think), across the valley in which the village of Compton Abbas lies, and back to the airfield via the escarpment to the left:

In the valley between the escarpments, a routine pano, despite its inherent distortions, looks 'normal':

However, turning around to photograph the footpath whence I'd come, produced this rather weird effect which from previous experience, I guess I should have anticipated, but didn't: the sprouting maize (if that is what it is) lay in straight lines, not in the manner depicted - obvious really if I'd thought about it:

There were other shots, of course, in my attempts to celebrate the Dorset countryside; not posted because, I'm always mindful that - to misquote GBS - ''the enjoyment of a wine is not enhanced by having one's mouth always full of it."

Pete

Nice Pan views. they bring out the beauty of dorset countryside.

Nothing wrong with sweep pans, I take them myself, especially when people and things that move are in the shot.

Hi Pete yet again really beautiful shots which do provoke a very warm emotional response. I would love to be able to wander around & be amongst such beautiful countryside.

Good to see Froome in it!

Nice set that Pete.

I was taken out for the day yesterday to Sandwell Park.
We stopped off at a retro chippy for tea, its new and had lots of offers on.
Pictures aren’t great but hey ho, I just luv the way this camera copes.

swpark001.jpg

850''..f4.5..ISO 100

cafe002.jpg

250''..f2..ISO 1600.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Nice set that Pete.

Rhodese.

I like both of these. Each different but good & as you say the camera copes really well.

Colin, I take your point re faster cards but I know that older SD cards are fast enough for me! They can cope with the X-10 and XF-1's high speed sequences and their panorama modes and I can print straight from the card using them. I do have some 16GB SDHC cards which I use when I'm anticipating many shots and know I won't have to do them straight from the card but since I can fit 452 Large Fine JPEGs on a 2gig card, that's plenty for most days (and I always carry a few spares - besides, that's at least a battery's worth of shots [luckily, I carry a couple of spares of them too!]).

Rhodese, as usual, some great shots. I have to admit that I rather like the faux fisheye look the 180 sweep panorama setting gives - in fact, I've used it the other way on a semicircular amphitheatre's seating rows which were rendered as straight! I should get a few resized and Flickred to post but CBA ATM!!!

Too hot ATM to play with the new toy (X-20) but manual's beside my throne (excuse the Joeism!) for perusal, although it's all fairly self evident to an X? user anyway! It's got a full battery in it and a card so all ready to go when it cools down a bit.

My my, this thread has thoroughly inspired me! I've been doubting the X10 a little. Thinking I need something a bit better. But it's clear I need to give it more of a chance to shine.

Fully intend to contribute here. Had a long coastal walk today (on holiday) and will show some of the fruits of the walk when I'm back & able to upload.

I'm not the most skilled photographer, still learning the ropes.

Keep the inspiration coming!

My my, this thread has thoroughly inspired me! I've been doubting the X10 a little. Thinking I need something a bit better. But it's clear I need to give it more of a chance to shine.

Fully intend to contribute here. Had a long coastal walk today (on holiday) and will show some of the fruits of the walk when I'm back & able to upload.

I'm not the most skilled photographer, still learning the ropes.

Keep the inspiration coming!

Congratulations, you've chosen one of the best threads to post your first post.

Your spirit-lifting shots remind me that visits to Cornwall were one of the reasons I bought the X10.

Nice Pan views. they bring out the beauty of dorset countryside.

Nothing wrong with sweep pans, I take them myself, especially when people and things that move are in the shot.

Many thanks Terry - a much neglected county, Dorset, which probably contributes to its charm.

Funny you should say that, but I've had problems with the 'sweep pan' (more amusing than irritating, 'cos I can't take the function really seriously) when shooting objects that are actually in motion as the exposure is made. I posted some photos back in May to illustrate the point.

Hi Pete yet again really beautiful shots which do provoke a very warm emotional response. I would love to be able to wander around & be amongst such beautiful countryside.

How kind of you John, and commiserations! I hope I don't take my own present mobility too much for granted - an easy trap to fall into.

Nice set that Pete.

Rhodese.

Thanks Rhodese. Nice to see you 'out and about' - yes, I find the X10 just begs to be used in a way I've never experienced with a camera before. Any image with water in it - lake or river - is going to grab my attention!

Pete

Last edited:
Hey guys,

just a quick question...Whats with the weird naming of the pictures? They are absolutely not chronologically named when shot...Is there a way to change it?

Back