The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

A few from Sunday morning (pity about the lack of sun) At Saddleworth Rushcart this year in honour of PC Nicola Hughes Shot and killed last year, who used to be on duty during Saddleworth events. even the PCSO dressed for the occasion.

You better tell all....:eek:

Hi Terry,

It seems the X10 is reasonably sensitive to IR light, so I just stuck a 52mm Hoya R72 filter on to the original hood / filter adapter. You do need to use a tripod really as it is not super sensitive for hand holding unless you bump up the ISO to 1600. It then is hand holdable..

Always fancied having a go at this, so will definitely get out a bit and see what the combo can do.

Regards,
Steve

I've picked up a xf1 at the weekend and I'm looking for a small case to put it in. Although the official leather one would be nice is wont really be practical for me. Im looking for something I can attach to the outside of either a lowepro or a tamrac backpack.

So far I'm really impressed with the camera, exactly what I wanted, something that the wife can easily use and I'm happy with playing with settings and the images it gives.

I've picked up a xf1 at the weekend and I'm looking for a small case to put it in. Although the official leather one would be nice is wont really be practical for me. Im looking for something I can attach to the outside of either a lowepro or a tamrac backpack.

Hi, My wife has a XF1 and she bought a small Neoprene zip case with a locking attaching clip from Poundland, fits the XF1 perfectly.

Hope this helps.(y)

A couple taken on the X10 at the Blackcountry Living Museum

9615333343_be996f1a41_c.jpg
[/url]
DSCF5100 by aj log, on Flickr[/IMG]

9615342001_bcb24323a5_c.jpg
[/url]
DSCF5111 by aj log, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers,
AJ

Like an inappropriate remark made to revive a conversation that has gone embarrassingly quiet, I feel forced to make this 'dodgy' contribution to the thread: you see the X10 being best toy I've had in years, I spend more time just playing with it than 'seriously' taking photos. Frankly, most of the time I haven't a clue what to photograph, no particular urge to do so anyway, and end up only mucking about with nothing interesting, if anything at all, to show. (The most pleasing photos I've ever taken with any camera have usually happened by accident, and often only after remembering at the last moment that I had one with me.)

So it was in Wells the other day (yes again - nice supermarket, and I've got to eat), I casually indulged the nearest I can get to enthusiasm by snapping the cathedral's monumental structures at close range. With film, you couldn't do much about the perceived distortions, particularly to the verticals, which made buildings look as though they were about to topple over backwards. In the early fifties, my uncle had a plate camera with bellows allowing the plane of the lens to be tilted relative to that of the plate, but quite how correction was made with that back then, I was too young to fathom, and can only guess at now (but perhaps Terry will tell us).

Now that I have the brilliant "Lightroom" software recommended to me by Yvonne, I can easily adjust those verticals, but of course that induces different forms of distortion - noticeable at elevated horizontal planes in walls at right-angles, that, with the associated 'stretching', a heavy hand can render much more acute than is perceived in normal perspective. Further, generous framing of the shots is needed in the knowledge that "Lens Corrections" in LR will require a "Constrain Crop" which might lose important parts of the image: playing about in PP, at first I tended to chop off the top of the tower in cropping the experimental - and apparently unmemorable - shot in unflattering light (below).

Of course, all this will be 'old hat' to the regulars here, but as a newcomer to this digital stuff, I find the 'trying out' and 'finding out' - general ''mucking about'' you see - can be terrific fun:

DSCF4985 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

But why present this seemingly prosaic snap here in company that'll know much more than I about this technical stuff?...

Well, the real importance of the photograph lies scarcely discernable at the bottom of the south transept: the fleck of ginger is the cathedral cat, although that is rather like describing the Queen as, "the posh woman who lives at the end of The Mall". Being ignorantly common, I don't know how - with due deference - I should use his name: "Louis the Sun Cat", suggesting his colour and predilection for sunning himself, might be too royally French, although he does carry an air of Gallic indifference. Alliteration demands that "Lord Louis" ought to do it - of course cats in general tend to have aristocratic pretensions, but Louis is the genuine article, presuming ownership of the place with all the sure-footed confidence possessed of the very privileged.

I do seriously wish the X10 could zoom to the longer focal lengths I enjoy with my much cheaper, and very cheerful, 'point and shoot'; nevertheless, I feel honoured in my humble way to record Lord Louis's reaction to his inferiors in the massively cropped photo below:

DSCF4990 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Love him or loathe him, like Scrooge, "it's all the same to Louis": he meets each of those reactions with dignified distain. Superiorly mannered though he is, he cannot suppress registering disapproval, but only by the merest twitching of the tip of his tail (captured here - the result of being rudely interrupted whilst relaxing on the lovely sun-warmed foundations of a very early chapel) - anything more demonstrative would, of course, be unseemly. As befits his status, he will never deliberately look at you (sorry - pleb's language - that should be ''one''), although he did once glance at me by accident.

If you've never been favoured by an 'audience' with Lord Louis, the next time you're in Wells, he'll almost certainly be in residence, but possibly difficult to find within his vast estate, performing his varied duties with the generous condescension of a 'thoroughly modern' working aristocrat. He might be in the cathedral itself; or its gift shop - lovely and warm in winter - where, like the elderly peer he must be, he takes the occasional nap. Sometimes he feels obliged languidly to abandon his basket when the cloying affection of all those ghastly visitors gets really too much to tolerate!

Pete

PS Subsequent to the above, I 'googled' Louis to discover that he is more famous than ever I had supposed. Of course, nobility will always attract such vulgar publicity.

Last edited:
Peter, your "corrected" view of the cathedral looks (to me) more distorted than converging verticals. The perspective of the roof falling so sharply away from the viewer is (to my eyes) more false looking than the more natural looking converging verticals that a wide angle view always gives (unless using a camera/lens with movements). The correction also makes the tower look almost telescopic!

As for the cat, well... They are the masters of humanity! While we (as humans) own dogs and sometimes pay for cats, we are always in thrall to our feline masters (or mistresses). Next time we're up in that area, we may well slide over to the cathedral to pay homage to Louis, especially since he bears a fair resemblance to our own dear leader Maisie (facially - he's stripier looking).

Peter, your "corrected" view of the cathedral looks (to me) more distorted than converging verticals. The perspective of the roof falling so sharply away from the viewer is (to my eyes) more false looking than the more natural looking converging verticals that a wide angle view always gives (unless using a camera/lens with movements). The correction also makes the tower look almost telescopic!

As for the cat, well... They are the masters of humanity! While we (as humans) own dogs and sometimes pay for cats, we are always in thrall to our feline masters (or mistresses). Next time we're up in that area, we may well slide over to the cathedral to pay homage to Louis, especially since he bears a fair resemblance to our own dear leader Maisie (facially - he's stripier looking).

Nod, many thanks for your comment - I was getting to feel distinctly lonely!

Whilst accepting all that you say, despite the stretched verticals and wall returns high up looking wrong, the overall effect seems to me closer to what I perceived (not necessarily saw!) on the day. I suppose it's a matter of how far you go in 'raising' the 'vanishing point' for those verticals. I was hoping someone would come up with some 'rule of thumb' for what looks 'right'.

At the risk of boring everyone, below is the posted image, but with the 'lens correction' removed:

DSCF4985-2 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

And here's what you saw before:

DSCF4985 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

You pays yer money, and...

Lord Louis - pay homage by all means; he won't run away even if you attempt to tickle his cheek or stroke his back. The tail will twitch though!

Thanks again, Nod

Pete

As I hope I made clear, MY taste is for the converging verticals, or at least not corrected to parallel! Then again, I also use a fisheye and a UWA (12-24) on FF DSLRs (and never correct verticals - indeed, I sometimes get extra close to exaggerate perspective even more!) IMO, like the faux HDR we appear to see, our brains tend to see converging verticals as relatively parallel when looking at a real scene - our brains are wonderful machines, even if they can be fooled (not to mention messed up by the simple introduction of a 1/2 squash ball sized lump...) by what we know to be there rather than what our eyes actually see!

Oops! Wrong button - want to also say...

...that now we're back from holiday, I have a decent, fast connection so can look at this thread without chewing into everyone else's speeds! I might even add a few holiday snaps to this thread to show similar shots from the 2 baby Xs I use. As I keep saying, they produce extremely similar results, although the XF-1 is slightly wider and faster at the short end. Not done any proper comparisons with the X-20 (although I think I did take a few identical shots over the recent break) to compare colours etc. but will do so.

For the longer lengths that no real compact can achieve, I use a bridge - another Fuji, this time an HS-30 with its 24-720 (35mm equivalent) range; plenty long enough for holiday uses!

Hi everyone, I’ve been on holiday and what a holiday.

They say it comes in threes. Saturday 24th August, I/we where told we are going back to Tintagel, great. Sunday 25th August, 6.30 am, off we go, the route…. Junction 10-M6,…. junction-31 M5,…., A30.… Tintagel.

#1. We gets to Junction-27, M5, I realise that I have forgotten my insulin; I had no choice but to turn around and go back.

Off we set again.

#2. On the way back down the M5, I felt a bit low on sugar so I had a toffee;….. it pulls a cap off a tooth.

So, 500miles and 10 hours of driving, we arrive at the village of King Arthur’s Castle.

I have taken so many pictures of and around Tintagel over the years, that I thought that I’d challenge myself to worms eye views only, utilising my homemade low angle viewer (described in the old thread).

#3. Well I managed a few at my usual haunts, when ………“OH calamity“.
While I had the camera / monopod / viewer combo at eye level (the camera is upside down when set up for low level shots) the shutter release fell to bit’s the outer ring and push button sliding down the cable release, the rest went well, god knows, but that was the end of my worms eye challenge.

I had a Sanyo video/still camera with me so not all was lost.

Of the few I took, here’s three, one for each of the events that will make it two weeks not to be forgotten.
I include a shot of the incapacitated little cam that is on its way to the Fuji hospital.

TP-LC-WEB.jpg

TP-3Xs-WEB.jpg

TP-BIKEIST-WEB.jpg

TP-X10-SHUTTER-WEB.jpg

Rhodese.

Oh shhhhhhhhhugar!

If my recent experience of Fuji's service dept is the norm, you're in for a short wait - it took them a day to sort a lens problem I had with my X-10 under warranty. They even sent me a fitted box to send it back to them and a pre paid envelope. I registered the repair with them using the online form. Very good customer service IMO.

Thanks for that Nod, the camera is just out of warranty so I will have to see how it goes.
Rhodese.

"Wow". Only 500 posts since 26/11/2006. Is that a record. It was only after I got an X10 a year ago that I became keen again.

Last edited:
By the time mine got to them it was out of warranty but I had registered the repair with them the day before the warranty ran out so it was fixed under warranty. Probably worth giving them a ring explaining the problem and saying how much you enjoy using the X-10 and missed it on your trip!

As an aside, on our recent holiday I took 5 cameras (I was travelling photographically light!!!) and 2 were baby Xs. Of the 5, I didn't use the underwater one (nothing new to snap!), used the bridge for 7 keepers, the DSLR for a dozen or so, the XF-1 and X-10 for about 50 each. Now rather tempted by a bigger cousin - the X-100... Watch this space! (GAS attack!!!)

"Wow". Only 500 posts since 26/11/2006. Is that a record. It was only after I got an X10 a year ago that I became keen again.

Nod, re my amended last post.

I used to lug loads of gear around, 2 SLRs, video, bridge, blar blar blar then along came the X10 and the freedom smelt good. It was like a breath of fresh air, like going back to a day out with a quality range finder.

I hope Fuji are as generous with me as they were with you.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for you.

Oh, had a play with the X-100 and decided that it doesn't offer enough over the X-20 to warrant the expense so I actually resisted my GAS and left it on the shelf. I even resisted the D300 that was a bit cheaper - my D800 will crop down to similar resolution anyway! Have I finally beaten my GAS for good?

Do you X20 users favour the optical viewfinder over the rear screen? I'm finding the lack of focus point info in particular on the X10 a bit frustrating.

Do you X20 users favour the optical viewfinder over the rear screen? I'm finding the lack of focus point info in particular on the X10 a bit frustrating.

I usually use the rear screen for things that need level horizons and the OVF for other things, although if I've got my reDING GLASSES WITH ME, i'LL MORE OFTEN THAN NOT USE THE REAR SCREEN FOR EVERYTHING. oNE OF MY FEW GRIPES WITH THE x-20 IS THE LACK OF ARTIFICIAL HORIZON IN THE ovf (sorry, please excuse the miscasting above - can't remove the Caps Lock button on this machine!) IIRC, the focus point is indicated in the OVF of the X-20 as a green rectangle.

I usually use the rear screen for things that need level horizons and the OVF for other things, although if I've got my reDING GLASSES WITH ME, i'LL MORE OFTEN THAN NOT USE THE REAR SCREEN FOR EVERYTHING. oNE OF MY FEW GRIPES WITH THE x-20 IS THE LACK OF ARTIFICIAL HORIZON IN THE ovf (sorry, please excuse the miscasting above - can't remove the Caps Lock button on this machine!) IIRC, the focus point is indicated in the OVF of the X-20 as a green rectangle.

For the first fifty or so years taking photographs none of my cameras had Horizontal aids, or any thing on the the optical finder.
In fact I have turned it off on both my X10 and x20 as a distraction.
It is nice to have a centre mark, and to know where the camera will focus is particularly helpful. other offerings are not often looked at during shooting. It is rare to find I have taken a shot with a out of true horizon.

On the x20 I use the ovf nearly all the time.
I suspect the view finder screen info was intend to be a feature of the X10, but that the in ital cost and or development put it back for the X20. It is such an obvious improvement.

Another improvement would be to sync a frame, to show parallax, to the focus distance.

Hi, I use the OVF virtually all the time, I can't get on with cameras that only have a screen. The only time I use the rear screen is for close ups or when I want a shot framed dead acurately.

Thanks all, I'll pop into a shop and get a feel of how it works in practice.

I am new to Cameras in general and this place is just packed with great information! Thanks for everyone posting info and beautiful pictures! I am planning on taking the plunge with an x10 and elements photoshop 11 (or 10 whichever is cheaper!)

I grow chilli's every year, but must confess this was taken in my local Morrisons.

x10-5 by hppygolucky, on Flickr

Andy, you could have turned the chilli with the mark on it over, I think it is a distraction. Nar not really, I jest. :LOL: This picture’s been up a day or two now and I keep having a look at it, It’s the kind of picture that’s been done many times, but how difficult it is to get one to feel right, this feels right to me.
The fact this is in a supermarket says its just an “as seen” shot, but I commend you on having the balls to take it in the first place, secondly on showing what the X10 is capable of. The colours are so vibrant. Is there any PP (other than RAW) or is it a jpeg strait out of the camera. I just love it, but I would spot the mark, ha-ha. (y)
Rhodese.

Andy, you could have turned the chilli with the mark on it over, I think it is a distraction. Nar not really, I jest. :LOL: This picture’s been up a day or two now and I keep having a look at it, It’s the kind of picture that’s been done many times, but how difficult it is to get one to feel right, this feels right to me.
The fact this is in a supermarket says its just an “as seen” shot, but I commend you on having the balls to take it in the first place, secondly on showing what the X10 is capable of. The colours are so vibrant. Is there any PP (other than RAW) or is it a jpeg strait out of the camera. I just love it, but I would spot the mark, ha-ha. (y)
Rhodese.

Thanks Rhodese, it's just a jpeg sooc in velvia mode, hence the vibrancy. I always take my X10 when I go shopping for some reason and often get funny looks while taking snaps. Heres another from the same day.

x10-7 by hppygolucky, on Flickr

Cheers.

Had to chuckle this afternoon. I was in Birmingham City centre and came across a rather odd sight of a small modest protest march with a guy shooting images. A pretty pro looking guy, who looked like he knew what he was doing and certainly had the kit.

I quickly whipped out the X10 and snapped a couple of images and he turned and said to me, "cool camera mate". Kind of made my day :D

Shame looking at the images after I missed focus :bonk:

Nice interesting shots.
the only problem is the nasty sharpening halos, especially bad in the people shot, though potentially that is an excellent view to include tower bridge.

By the time mine got to them it was out of warranty but I had registered the repair with them the day before the warranty ran out so it was fixed under warranty. Probably worth giving them a ring explaining the problem and saying how much you enjoy using the X-10 and missed it on your trip!

Nod it aint lookin good :crying: I have had a quote; :puke: I won’t elaborate yet, I have responded to the quote with a sort of cap in hand approach. I’ll let you all know the outcome.
I had the camera from Park on the 27/07/2012, the shutter broke the last week in August, so a month out. I didn’t report it until I got home off holiday.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for you Rhodese.

While I'm here, here's a night pan from the X-20. Chania (Crete) harbour from the South-Eastern corner - 120°.

DSCF0138 by gpn63, on Flickr

Back