The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I think high ISO noise handling is among the greatest improvements in recent sensor/firmware advances. It's not too long ago that 800 was pushing it even on some DSLRs but these days 1600 and more still gives very useable results even from small sensors like the baby X series.

I think high ISO noise handling is among the greatest improvements in recent sensor/firmware advances. It's not too long ago that 800 was pushing it even on some DSLRs but these days 1600 and more still gives very useable results even from small sensors like the baby X series.

Absolutely true.
I would now consider noise to be a problem of the past.
In comparison to film, Noise/grain is now far less noticeable ISO for ISO in digital.
And like film there comes a point where it is advantageous to switch to black and white, where noise becomes more acceptable still.

Another from the little xf1. Light wasn't too good this morning while walking the dog but managed a few shots.

I was having a play with my X20 while having a coffee in Costa when I noticed that when in MF and I presses the AEL/AFL button and it focused. Back button focus on my X20, quite chuffed :)

Cheers.

It's in the BOOK

But I don't think many of us find it till we play around with the camera.
I use it when ever I am using manual focus as it it easily the easiest and most accurate.

I have the AEL/AFL button set to AEL only, for all other modes. Though I wish there were two separate buttons, so that I could more easily set individual exposures and focus points. Though the "half press" works to hold focus when I use AEL to hold exposure elsewhere.

Two more to add to the xf1 camp.

Taken this morning in the kitchen before delivery. :D

Hi David, My wife has one of these little X-F1 cameras and I'm always amazed at the image quality that it can produce. But putting that to one side these are two seriously good cake shots that you should be very proud of. I'm kinda guessing your wife makes these lovely looking cakes and would just like to say if needed I'm available to sample them.(y)

Another from the little xf1. Light wasn't to
o good this morning while walking the dog but managed a few shots.

Hi Martin, This is a great little shot good use of limited DOF, also I think the selective colour really works in this instance.(y)

Lol!! Yeah she makes a few, we had two this weekend and the next one is in a few weeks time. It started off with a cake she made for a family member a couple of years ago and now she makes them every week. :LOL:

The xf1 just continues to impress me and saves me getting the big 'un out every time I want to take a half decent pic.

Have a look at her face book page and give it a like, Lollys Cakes. :whistle:

Thank you - it's really a great camera. I'm trying to get used to it to make sure I can use it to it's best ability next month

Another couple of X20 shots from me as I continue to try and get to grips with the camera! These digital things have too many menus and buttons!

This first one was taken with the in built red filter preset:

And this one was a Lightroom conversion:

3827-1396870480-49ee9619a763b4ba0a0894af20ef13ae.jpg

Just can't seem to crack the water effect, all I end up with is over exposure. Quick photo this morning with the XF1.

3826-1396869401-089482ee05b5833b220aebfa45a6588d.jpg

Still testing the little Fuji XF1, just a quick snap. Still learning about this camera, and very rarely getting it right

Last edited:
What mode are you shooting in?

I've snapped a snail shot today for my 52, looking forward to getting it on the PC and seeing what it looks like. Quick look on the back of the camera and it doesn't look as sharp as yours Damian.

I haven’t posted in here for a while. (Not been out much)
So let’s remedy that now.

I think I pushed my X20 to its limit on Friday night.
I went to a Queen Tribute concert, I was sitting about 50mts from the stage, and the lighting was ok at best and awful the rest of the time.
The vocalist kept moving to the front of the stage where one would have expected a trooper light to be, but no he was walking into total shade.
Some of you may know that I’m not very good on my pins and getting to the front would have been iffy.
My hands are about as good as my legs so quick resets of the little fiddly things on the camera is a bit of a no-no.
Add to that the fact that I’ve not been out much over the winter, so it was all going to be a bit of a challenge.
Well that’s the excuses out the way.

So I set the camera to auto 3200iso and in shutter priority a shutter speed of one 200th of a second, the aperture would take care of itself, (probably wide open).
Zoom was at maximum most of the time.
I upped the shutter speed to a 250th after a while.
At some point, I must have accidentally knocked the control wheel shuffing the shutter speed up to one 800th of a second. (A push up shield like on the old Canon A1 would solve this, (“Are you listening Fuji.”))
I took a few at this speed before noticing and knocking it back to a 250th.

Here are a few from the shoot, I should dump them, they really are very noisy but the camera was on auto 3200iso, this never altered throughout the nigh it stayed at 3200.
Some have been cropped in PSCC they are from jpegs SOOC.
I took RAW and jpegs, but I couldn’t better the camera jpegs.

Is any image better than no image?
You judge.

3833-1396876956-d3c30701e76e58014d760a3a7a4e165c.jpg

3835-1396876959-17eb4c6fd373f79e86fc6546c7bf4040.jpg

3837-1396877325-f2bada29ed52f28b569828392f93b2e7.jpg

3838-1396877831-a6376bb7fac6e83496cee6e2642519b0.jpg

3832-1396876894-eba641b85b861779ba0f020c1839e3b8.jpg

Thank for looking.

Rhodese.

Are you pleased with them?

I wouldn’t say pleased but for a cheap rangefinder style camera at 3200, I think they are worth keeping as a memory of a night out.

I like the torch shot.

Rhodese.

Cheers mate. :)

I doubt my d7000 would have done better in the conditions you were faced with.

If you're interested, Gavin Hoey does a Lightroom edit of one of Jared Polin's gig photo's on YouTube, might be worth a look if you did fancy a play with one of the raw photo's?

Cheers.

Jonbeeza, you've hit the only major limitation of the baby X series - a limited long exposure time. It's just about enough for fast moving streams but can't achieve the smooth effect that longer exposures give.

Rhodese, those band shots are way better than would have been possible a few years ago - noisy, maybe but certainly useable, especially at screen size.

30 seconds is pretty decent though...

Can I ask Nod, I know you say the xf1 would be the camera you kept if you ever sold up, but does the x20 offer a big enough 'upgrade' to warrant the price increase?

Thanks.

Different animals really. The XF delivers most of what the X-20 does and fits a shirt pocket. If the XF-1 had more on body controls rather than menu led ones, it would improve it and if the X-20 had the completely collapsible lens, that would make it better for me! Luckily, I can afford both (2 XFs!) so have the best of both worlds but certainly of the 2, I would keep the XF over the X-20.
Just to lob a nut tightener into the equation, my current favourite camera in my bags is the X-T1! Not as compact as the baby Xs but it's pretty much all I want or need in a camera but lives outside this thread, having one of its own. Of course, being the new baby, it's currently still being explored but loving the feel and the results so far.

Jonbeeza, you've hit the only major limitation of the baby X series - a limited long exposure time. It's just about enough for fast moving streams but can't achieve the smooth effect that longer exposures give.

I just wanted to give it a try, and see if I could get that silky effect, it was only a quick test. Originally I was after a Nikon 24mm 2.8D to go with my old D80, as most photos are indoors and of family and out and about close ups in the street. But I just did not fancy paying the price they were going for, so I decided to get the Fuji with its 25mm 1.8 at it's widest. I am just happy at it being a cheaper alternative to the Nikon 2.8D and pocketable also. Oh and with the added benefit of HD Video etc etc.

Sorting through some of my xf1 pics from the last couple of weeks and found these two........

Think that I'm starting to get the hang of this tiny camera now. So handy just to take out when I don't want to take my D3100 and lenses.

Been doing some raw conversions using the silkypix software that came with the fuji XF1 , the software does not seem to be working properly. It will convert raw files to Jpeg, but the alterations I make dont seem to be updating, I have to keep clicking the save icon only then will any changes that I make show up. I have uninstalled silkypix and re installed it, but it's just the same. really strange software, just looking for something that works better. It was working fine the other day, as alterations showed as I was doing them!

Last edited:
I use Light room and it works flawlessly.
Reading up on that, and other alternatives. As the supplied software that I am now using, makes the process of converting raw files not very enjoyable!

Another from the other day. I think I'll be investing in a copy of LR4 or 5. Can't get on with that naff software that came with the camera. At the moment I'm sing it to convert to jpeg then editing in LR3. Laborious!

I'm only running LR3 at the moment and it refuses to open them :( Will just be shooting high quality jpegs until I've saved enough for LR5.

Back