The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I have an XQ1 as my second camera.. Cracking little compact although price wise now I'd go for the newer XQ2 from the refurb store if I was buying (y)

I rarely take landscapes but this caught my eye for some reason.
I took it as a 3 shot pan and stitched it in PTAssembler
I could almost have got the width, with the X20 set to its widest, but it would have included far more height, and I saw it very much as a narrow landscape with a fairly high contrast against the light.
The three shots were taken set to manual. 1/50 @ f5.6 ISO 200 Focal length 18.7mm

The highlights have not burnt out but the sky reflections on the right are featureless.

For those who might wonder what the advantages are of doing a pan in these circumstances, it is largely down to final pixel count. With the pan I get a cropped image of 26.3 Mpx (8262x3184) If I did the same cropped aspect ratio on the native (4000x3000) I would end up with only a 6.04Mpx image, which is a very noticeable drop in quality over the pan, even taking into account the considerable redrawing of the image.

treerootpan%20web.jpg~original
[/URL]

Last edited:
Took the X10 out for an airing this morning, and my camera got a long glance from someone taking photos with a brightly coloured camera. Not sure what it was what he had, but he took a long glance at my X10. Probably thinking is that an old film camera :)

Skimmed through the thread - didn't spot any XQ1 users. Considering replacing my LX5 with one since Panasonic hasn't got a clue what colour skin is. (Going to convert it to Infra Red) Any thoughts?
The thing that attracted me to the XF1 over other compacts was the manual zoom. They ditched that for the XQ1, which for me makes it much less attractive as a proposition, and it doesn't compare quite so favourably to the competition.

The thing that attracted me to the XF1 over other compacts was the manual zoom. They ditched that for the XQ1, which for me makes it much less attractive as a proposition, and it doesn't compare quite so favourably to the competition.
The XQ1 might just turn out to be a little too much like the XF1, not sure I would risk going for an XQ1 !

The XQ1 might just turn out to be a little too much like the XF1, not sure I would risk going for an XQ1 !

Can't see any reason to get an XQ2, it's just a firmware change with very minor things as far as I can see?

As far as I can see the only difference is they've added PDAFpixels (so a teensy sensor tweak) and classic chrome film simulation. Nothing I would actually care about in a compact, I have an XT1 for important stuff.

Nothing I would actually care about in a compact........
I am still plodding along with my old X10, at some point I will get a pocketable compact, with a reasonable sized sensor.
Don't think it will be anything like the XQ2 though !

Last edited:
Can't see any reason to get an XQ2, it's just a firmware change with very minor things as far as I can see?

Yes only a few changes between the xq1 and xq2.. On Fuji refurb it's about a £50 difference between the x2 - I'd prefer to pay that for the few extra bits but mainly the fact it's a newer model so hopefully last that bit longer lol

Indeed - it took a determined effort to kill my X10, mostly using it in stormy weather and salt spray that I wouldn't dare get my 'weatherproof' big camera out in. Had to lick salt off the lens before cleaning on many occasions.
The scroll wheel seized up a couple of times, but always freed itself up eventually.
Ultimately the IS failed making it a poor choice for the sort of shots I like to take - otherwise I'd still be using it :)

Indeed - it took a determined effort to kill my X10, mostly using it in stormy weather and salt spray that I wouldn't dare get my 'weatherproof' big camera out in. Had to lick salt off the lens before cleaning on many occasions.
The scroll wheel seized up a couple of times, but always freed itself up eventually.
Ultimately the IS failed making it a poor choice for the sort of shots I like to take - otherwise I'd still be using it :)
I found a very old flash gun at the back of my cupboard, I forgot I had it left over from my film camera days. Tried it on the X10 and it does fire. But no real way to regulate the flash with the X10. Just an hours fun really.

I found a very old flash gun at the back of my cupboard, I forgot I had it left over from my film camera days. Tried it on the X10 and it does fire. But no real way to regulate the flash with the X10. Just an hours fun really.
My flash is also from the days of film and has never managed TTL with a digital camera (EOS 5 -> 20D -> 5DII -> 5DIII).
Works fine in full manual though and is still brought out occasionally.
IIRC the X10 has a crazy flash synch speed that makes it completely usable in daylight; way more versatile than a DSLR :)

My flash is also from the days of film and has never managed TTL with a digital camera (EOS 5 -> 20D -> 5DII -> 5DIII).
Works fine in full manual though and is still brought out occasionally.
IIRC the X10 has a crazy flash synch speed that makes it completely usable in daylight; way more versatile than a DSLR :)

I had to use manual mode on the X10 with my old flash, trial and error with the shutter speed. Good fun for an hour though :)

This may be of interest to anyone who has a faulty Fuji XF1

I have just discovered a work around on my faulty XF1 that has the lens control error. As we all know, if you zoom past 35mm the lens control error pops up, and the camera crashes! What I just found is, if you keep it at no more than 35mm, then half press to get focus. Then zoom past 35mm even to full zoom, while keeping half pressed and the focus locked, take the photo. Keep finger on shutter button, then quickly zoom back to 35mm or less then release shutter button. The Lens Control Error does not flash up ! By no means ideal, but I have found that is now the only way I can zoom on my XF1 (y)

PS

Obviously this is going to be hit and miss with the focus, might be out of focus on occasions..

Last edited:
Well I am now selling my XF1, but I am keeping the Battery for my X10. It was fun while it lasted, but now going to just use the X10 and my Panasonic TZ compact.

Edit *UPDATE*

I am not selling this on here, stuck it in my local paper for spares..that's not the intention of my post..

Last edited:
This may be of interest to anyone who has a faulty Fuji XF1

I have just discovered a work around on my faulty XF1 that has the lens control error. As we all know, if you zoom past 35mm the lens control error pops up, and the camera crashes! What I just found is, if you keep it at no more than 35mm, then half press to get focus. Then zoom past 35mm even to full zoom, while keeping half pressed and the focus locked, take the photo. Keep finger on shutter button, then quickly zoom back to 35mm or less then release shutter button. The Lens Control Error does not flash up ! By no means ideal, but I have found that is now the only way I can zoom on my XF1 (y)

PS

Obviously this is going to be hit and miss with the focus, might be out of focus on occasions..

Well I am now selling my XF1, but I am keeping the Battery for my X10. It was fun while it lasted, but now going to just use the X10 and my Panasonic TZ compact.

:D Love the way you posted these together.

"My Camera doesnt work, but do you want to buy it?"

:D Love the way you posted these together.

"My Camera doesnt work, but do you want to buy it?"
I had a feeling it would look that way, but NO that's NOT why I posted this. I am NOT selling it on here.

I am selling it in the local freebie papers for spares. Not really bothered, selling it via any other means. I will only get a token gesture for it, it's not even worth the postage.

PS

I really am not that sneaky !

Last edited:
Voted, my one was fixed and is working but has not had much use lately.
Thanks

View attachment 41644 Why are my photos ISO 400 in bright outdoor light?

I left the camera on Auto and noticed most photos were ISO 400 is this a DR thing? Hopefully the image with EXIF is below.

Thanks for any help.

Blonkster

Last edited:
Yup - it's a DR thing.
Set it to DR 100 unless you really mean it.

Meanwhile - here' why I love the X30 over the X10.
These friends signed over the ridiculously loud music that they were going to star jump, 3-2-1 jump; and using the viewfinder I nailed the shot
i-SZ3B3rV-L.jpg

Yup - it's a DR thing.

These friends signed over the ridiculously loud music that they were going to star jump, 3-2-1 jump; and using the viewfinder I nailed the shot
Great that you managed to get that shot, I have managed to get some good photos just using the rear screen of my X10. Well I don't use the OVF, tried it with not good results.

12242-1436783823-5cd2241cccd0ee2eb575a8159c0fd94c.jpg

A quick grab with the X10 missed focus, sun was in my eyes o_O

Last edited:
Yup - it's a DR thing.

Thanks, I didn't know Auto would do that.

You do realise that your friends are happily surrendering to a Dalek, don't you? ;-)

i-SZ3B3rV-L.jpg

Was in west Wales a couple of weeks ago and didn't bother taking the SLR. Just had the X10 with me and used the bracket mode to capture this rather lovely sunset at Burry Port. Merged in PSE.

Last edited:
Had a mild panic last night when I discovered that the flash on my X-30 wouldn't fire... Checked that silent mode was off, macro was off, battery was charged then finally twigged that I had continuous shooting selected. PHEW!

Had a mild panic last night when I discovered that the flash on my X-30 wouldn't fire... Checked that silent mode was off, macro was off, battery was charged then finally twigged that I had continuous shooting selected. PHEW!
Had that on my X10 the other week, silent mode on. I should have noticed, as top left has the flash in yellow circle, and bottom right has a speaker symbol saying off.

How do those people with both an X20 and X30 Rate them.
Are there any downsides to the controls on the X30? is it as easy to use in practice.?

I have an X10 and X20 and am thinking of adding an X30.

I took the X30 caving tonight to snap of a couple of local journalists being given a taster by one of my regular caving guides.
This was taken so they have something to show their colleagues tomorrow morning.
It is a really simple lighting set-up (by my usual standards) - two DSLR video lights plus a flash with a radio trigger and hand held with manual everything (except focus).
The X30 did a cracking job :)
20150715-200447-DSCF6233-L.jpg

How do those people with both an X20 and X30 Rate them.
Are there any downsides to the controls on the X30? is it as easy to use in practice.?

I have an X10 and X20 and am thinking of adding an X30.

Had (and now have again!) an X10 and upgraded to a 20 for the in VF info but don't think there's a) enough info (needs the level in there IMO!) and b) the info's clear enough against all backgrounds so upgraded to the X30 (then did deal with the X10's new owner for him to upgrade to the 20 and me to take the 10 back in PX - both parties happy with the deal!) The X30 is an EVF but it's a pretty good one and has none of the parallax problems the other x?0s have, has readable in VF info which includes the level and is USB chargeable to boot (as well as wifi enabled). If you have a good memory (mine is fnurked!), you won't keep trying to press the same buttons you're used to on the earlier Xs and the control wheel around the lens base will be more natural too. The petal type lens cap from the old cameras fits the 30 as does the lens hood/filter adaptor. Battery is different though.

Back