The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

P mode and ISO Auto 800 - that's it!
Lighting is continuous, so no different to a normal photo; the X30 metering seems to cope fine with the contrasty conditions.
I do sometimes use off camera flash to backlight the subject, in which case it is manual everything :)

The big camera is usually aperture priority so I have control over the depth of field; everything else takes care of itself plus bracketted 5 stops.
If it is a wet cave, then shutter speed is the most important thing to get the water looking right; so shutter priority bracketted 5 stops and auto everything else.

Hi guys, just a couple of quickies about my new X30...
My google-fu is usually strong, but both google and the manual have failed me on these -

- Is it possible to create and use new folders in camera? I can do this on my dslr, and keeps things tidy on holidays etc if you can have a seperate folder for each day/event/location.

- Autofocus "multi" mode... In which modes is this available? I'd like a setting that I can give the wife that's fully auto in both exposure and AF, but the auto/sr+ modes seem to only have the single point AF mode, while the multi mode AF is available in any of the PASM modes. This seems counter-intuitive. Am I missing something?

I don't know about the autofocus as I always use a single point.
The X30 allows you to change the prefix on the exposure number. You might be able to move it to one of the the Q Functions. ( I have not tried)
You could change the file number prefix as often as you liked. It is found on the menu, Spanner 4, third item down.

Took the X20 to Camp Bestival with me this weekend. Worked very well in a belt held bag on the hip.

Used my tiny Canon S95 last year and was worried the X20 would be too big, but it was fine, no bother at all.

Only pick out a couple so far.

Camp Bestival 2015 Main Stage
by Mick Wall, on Flickr

Skate tricks on 4 wheels
by Mick Wall, on Flickr

I think the skate tricks one could do with a bit more processing as it was backlit and tough to get the detail out. Happy with the capture though as it was only the second snap after we got there. :)

Just wondering what DR setting people use on their X20 ?

I always left it set at 200 ...however I do not think it makes any difference when shooting raw. As blacks and highlights are recoverable in raw processing.

So anyone notice their photos are underexposed then shooting with the X20 in jpeg ?

Can't say that I have...however a jpeg engine rarely makes the same choices that I would.
There is no such thing as scientifically exact exposure or rendering.
However the x20 and other X cameras have always been praised for the quality of their jpegs.
Exposure can depend very much on both what you are trying to achieve and how you set the camera to make those exposures,
not least how you choose the exposure reading method.

on Sunday I took a number of shots of Yorkshire day in uppermill. I was using my new x30 on its first outing, and suffered a little from finger trouble (my fingers are programmed X20 fashion) but all in all it was a good experience. There is no reason that the results should be technically any better than X10 or X20 shots, but compositionally I had a higher hit rate.

I've heard x series metering can be iffy, but i've found the opposite. I've become used to underexposing 2/3 in direct sun on my canon dslr, and when i started with the fuji, kept underexposing because of that bad habit. Maybe screen brightness is an issue? Have you checked the histogram?
Maybe you're expecting too much from the jpg engine? I find it bumps contrast too much and kills shadows in bright scenes, but for sooc jpgs they're still pretty good.

Well here are two samples from a recent trip to London - crap photos but just to show straight from camera jpeg

This one was matrix metering and looks underexposed to me

fuji%201.jpg

This one is spot metered and although a bit bright seems better to me

fuji%202.jpg

Tell you what though I am very impressed with low light shooting. This was shot in a very dim church, I know it looks bright but it was not

fuji%203.jpg

and this was very dark

fuji%204.jpg

Last edited:
All Those are just as I would expect When you have a large bright sky It causes under exposure if you take a general exposure reading.
the interior shot is easy for the camera to get right, unless there are large bright windows included, when they will influence things.

You have an exposure lock on the X20 use it to fix the exposure on the important tones, preferably a mid grey, then recompose and shoot.

Last edited:
The first photo is underexposed I have a point and shoot which would do a better job of that particular shot. I just don't know why or how to correct or change some setting. I have read something about the DR setting.

few I took on sunday at the saddleworth yorkshire day. first outing with the X30

Resaved them for web

Last edited:
Try increasing/reducing exposure compensation in Aperture Priority more.

Yeah I did do that and it worked but surly I should not have to dial in exposure compensation for nearly every photo.

I am going to try shooting in spot metering mode as I read someone else who tried that seemed to work well

I bought this as I wanted an easy camera to use with good quality photos that I did not have to mess with. I work as a wedding photographer and love it but on my days off I want to just take a simple photo not mess with the camera to get it one every time. I have quite a few fuji cameras including bridge and an S5 which all work great and I really like them so I am sure I am just setting something wrong...... I am sure its me and not the camera

Yep, it's clearly exposing for the sky rather than forground. From what i've read, there isn't much headroom for highlights before they get blown on these x-trans sensors so it might be that fuji have configured their software to do this.
The fact is though, that there is a live view and histogram to show you, and a simple ae lock button, and a big twiddly exposure comp dial.
I imagine spot metering will fix it for you though. I shoot much the same, I meter and focus with a small central focus point, and then compose.

Yep, it's clearly exposing for the sky rather than forground. From what i've read, there isn't much headroom for highlights before they get blown on these x-trans sensors so it might be that fuji have configured their software to do this.
The fact is though, that there is a live view and histogram to show you, and a simple ae lock button, and a big twiddly exposure comp dial.
I imagine spot metering will fix it for you though. I shoot much the same, I meter and focus with a small central focus point, and then compose.

Yeah I will try spot metering

The exposure comp dial is big and readily to hand...... Hmmmm maybe Fuji did that on purpose

Two hand held pans manual everything stitched with PTAssembler + one other

Last edited:

It is a misonception to think that xtrans sensors are short on headroom. There is loads to recover from the raw files , both for shadows and highlights. However all jpegs by their nature and design have a more restricted brightness range, and the top and bottom of the range is discarded with all the "surplus" data. It is common knowledge that the jpegs fom the X#0 series of cameras respond well in pp to a quite substantial adjustment.

on the matter of exposures, all digital exposure estimation, just like indipendant exposure meters. Work on the basis that the average luminance of the whole of the scene adds up to the equivalent of an 18% grey (actually nearer 12%)
This is also the way spot metering functions, as it sets what it "sees" as that 18% grey, what ever its actual tone might be.

a majority of settable cameras offer at least three ways of measuring exposure. Spot...average.. and multi
Average is just that, it measures the whole of a scene and gives a slight preference to the centre area. Creates an exposre equating this, as if it added up to 18% grey. Multi, is rather different as it uses algorithms that compare the exposure pattern that it sees, with a database of scenes,
it uses these to help compute an exposure.

None of these methods are as accurate as using a hand held incident light meter.

Cameras like the X#0 series are not point and shoots, when used in the PASM modes they are operationally almost identical to a dslr.
However just like lower end dslr's, they can be set up using the various auto and scene modes to be virtually fully automatic.

I have been using adjustable cameras for some 70 years, both as an amateur and through a working life as a professional.
Even now I would not expext my shots to fall outside about 1 1/2 stops if the camera was left to itself. If I take control myself, I would expect that to come down to 1/2 a stop from what I expected. If I were to use my incident light meter I would expect the exposure to result exactly as expected.

Last edited:
Terrywoodenpic:

Are your pics JPEGs straight from camera? Please don't take this the wrong way, but they look a little 'flat' to me. I'm considering buying an X30 and wondered if there are any in camera adjustments one could make to get them to 'pop' a bit.

AL

Terrywoodenpic:

Are your pics JPEGs straight from camera? Please don't take this the wrong way, but they look a little 'flat' to me. I'm considering buying an X30 and wondered if there are any in camera adjustments one could make to get them to 'pop' a bit.

AL

You can set any colour profile you like ,velvia is very vivid if you like your colours to pop, I prefer colours to be soft and natural so use Astia or standard, if you shoot raw you can also process as photoshop standard which is a little less bright than fuji standard.
on an individual basis you can always increase the saturation if you want to.
How your shots look is entirely down to you.

most of the above shots were taken in the shade or overcast or partial sun, it would have been inappropriate to make them any brighter.
the original tiffs I processed even darker, and lightened them for the web.

What you chose to do is entirely down to you... or even to how you have your screen calibrated.

CORRECTION fuji standard is a little brighter than photoshop standard

Last edited:
I have a spare battery charger for the x10 if anyone wants it for a small fee? PM's by the end of today or eBay it is.

Don't mean to be a spoilsport, but before a Mod turns up with the naughty hat, you should only offer stuff for sale in the classifieds - and you have to name a price and do all trading in-thread, not via PM.

I've been relaxing at Sidmouth Folk Week - a seaside holiday with as much music and dancing as I can cope with - it was wonderful :)
For a change, I wasn't togging - but the X30 was with me and grabbed some snaps I'm proud of.

Here's a concert pano - the 'band' are 36 young musicians who worked together at Halsway Manor to put on a showcase.
The X30 did a cracking job here!
20150801-121620-DSCF7033-Edit-L.jpg

Contrasty lighting - no problem for the X30 :)
20150804-122834-DSCF7661-L.jpg

I find using the EVF is fine for judging timing
20150804-114753-DSCF7644-L.jpg

A folk / hip-hop band - very lively!
20150731-211519-DSCF6880-L.jpg

One great thing about the X30 is that it doesn't frighten people into striking a pose for the camera.
This Slovakian dance troupe were loads of fun and the stuff they had in the hip flask tasted great but seared the walls of my stomach!
20150801-170042-DSCF7130-L.jpg

Great series of shots Duncan, with the solo muso' being my fav'.(y)

George.

Nice Shots... Not been back to Sidmouth since the mid sixties. Lived there as a boy, for a couple of years at the end of the war, after our house collided with a flying bomb.
No folk festival in those days. And far less built up. The cider shops had no problems selling to young boys but limited it to half a pint, as they did to strangers who were not used to its strength. You took your jug or pot to the window and they filled it up, I don't even remember if you could go inside. There was a "British Restaurant near by where we would get a cheap "off the ration meal". Helped eke out the dismal rations.

I find the X30 very much like using an early SLR and very natural in the hand.

Cheers both!
I managed to keep off the beer and stick with the cider; plenty of choice and didn't give me a single hangover even though I drank vast (for me) quantities.
It was weird not being an official photographer, this was my first festival as a normal punter - well, normal-ish... Three days helping set things up in exchange for a free ticket :)
There was lots of things I saw that I'd normally photograph, but for once I decided to enjoy the moment instead.

Some cracking shots Duncan. Sidmouth is one of my favourite spots. A little too far for a day out for me on the North Somerset coast but worth the trip for a special occasion. What settings did you use for these shots?

The right ones ;)
LOL - nope!
I have always used the X10 and X30 in P mode.
There isn't enough ISO and shutter speed range to leave it in Aperture mode like I do on the big camera; so rather than juggle things when walking in and out of marquees I let the camera do all the work
However, the jumping dancers are in manual focus, and the stage shots are usually between -1 and -3 EV compensation. Good thing about the EVF is is that is is really easy to tell how much compensation to dial in. There may be an occasional touch of highlight recovery from RAW in the stage shots, but that's it for post processing :)

My second day out with the X30. to Saddleworth Yanks day. Tried a few things out. In the first one I took a shot in raw whilst filming. you get a break in the film while it was processing. but it works fine

Then tried an over head with the Flip out screen

Pubs were doing well, so were the sailors......

Put my self in danger of being a skittle.

Tried continuous focus on the convoy shots , It had never been much use on the X20

This one nearly got away but still caught focus

Last edited:
Lovely shots Terry. For some reason the pics you posted previously which I said looked a bit flat, look better today! Must have funny eyes or screen ;)

I had almost given up on getting an X30 but you have put me back on track (y)

Now, black or silver ...................................

AL

Last edited:
Back