The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Looks like my recent optimism may have been misplaced. XF1 has started over-exposing maybe 20% of the time. Should I be expecting the worst? :(

Looks like my recent optimism may have been misplaced. XF1 has started over-exposing maybe 20% of the time. Should I be expecting the worst? :(
'Fraid so. This is how it starts. Next, all your photos will be massively overexposed. Then they'll be green/magenta. And then it will die.

Sorry. :(

Well probably yes! But you will be in a new gang, there's loads of us, so you wont be on your own. A very warm welcome from me, to the XF1 it's died group ;)

'Fraid so. This is how it starts. Next, all your photos will be massively overexposed. Then they'll be green/magenta. And then it will die.

Sorry. :(
You forgot to mention where your hair starts to fall out with despair, then the cold sweats in the middle of the night. Oh and the sleepless nights of tossing and turning, thinking will Fujifilm fix it or not!

Anyone recommend good screen protectors for the Fuji X20 ?

Anyone recommend good screen protectors for the Fuji X20 ?

All I've ever done with mine John, is pick up an iPad screen protector from Poundland (guess what they're only a £1.00):) and cut a chunk to size. Job Done. Works a treat.(y)

George.

All I've ever done with mine John, is pick up an iPad screen protector from Poundland (guess what they're only a £1.00):) and cut a chunk to size. Job Done. Works a treat.(y)

George.
As this I just cut one of the s3 ones I had and used it on the xf1 screen.

George.

Good idea... I think I might have some protectors hanging around. I have also seen a set for the X20 on eBay for £2.60 so maybe they might be OK to save cutting

Bought it on here recently, guess it was just bad timing. Was enjoying it so much too! :(

Sounds like it's pointless trying to get Fuji to repair it so I'll have to find a suitable replacement. The search resumes.

The X30 continues to impress.
This was shot hand-held with mostly available lighting - bloke with mega-powerful caving light stood behind her and two DSLR video lights in the foreground.
I want to go back with my proper lighting and big camera, but I can't complain too much as I'll be hard pushed to recreate the impact of this shot :)
20150719-152031-DSCF6475-HDR-L.jpg

The X30 continues to impress.
This was shot hand-held with mostly available lighting - bloke with mega-powerful caving light stood behind her and two DSLR video lights in the foreground.
I want to go back with my proper lighting and big camera, but I can't complain too much as I'll be hard pushed to recreate the impact of this shot :)
20150719-152031-DSCF6475-HDR-L.jpg

That's a stunning photo.....

You're being too hard on yourself, Duncan! The only comment I can make is that the leg behind her is slightly unfortunately placed, making it look like she's either VERY scared or has a T-Rex like tail!

Cheers for the feedback - much appreciated!
It was a heck of a caving trip; my first away from Mendip and intended to open my eyes about what else there is in the UK.
This is OFD and reckoned to be one of the finest caves in Wales.
The streamway was quite intimidating, even in the current low water conditions, and the high level return route via Airy Fairy traverse was properly OMG - really pushed me out my comfort zone.

Here's another one from the same trip; models pose isn't quite right, but it is impossible to communicate over the roar of the river.
When I take the big camera back I'll use 2-way radios with ear pieces.
The river is very deep, so progress involves bridging the canyon. There are places where it get too wide to bridge and it's very tricky. Some of the larger potholes have an underwater scaffold tube which needs to be found and tip-toed across.
Lots of fun; but you can imagine it is really challenging conditions for photography!
20150719-144845-DSCF6421-HDR-L.jpg

Edited to add - there's a cracking video of Airy Fairy Traverse.
Jump to about 1:30
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON7lp5thYr0#t=297

Like I said - it pushed me WAY out my comfort zone.

Last edited:
Another great shot and what a fascinating and scary world down there. Love seeing stuff like that. Did you see the TV program recently I think it was called Britain beneath your feet. Not all caves but still fascinating

I should think that the cavers have more important things to consider than posing!

Much as I enjoy seeing your shots, they help convince me that I'm not built for a troglodytic existence, being built more like a mastiff than a terrier whippet cross! I have visions of me falling into a stream, getting washed down to a narrow gap, plugging it with the incredible bulk and drowning the cave until my corpulence rots away...

LOL - some of the cavers are natural models, in most cases it's the photographer who is the weak link :)
I wish I'd discovered caving years ago; it has all the thrills of the big mountains without the crowds.
The social side of caving is pretty darned good too!

I'm still struggling with why there are so few cave photographers; less than half a dozen that I know of in the UK.
A lot of photographers love a challenge, this is a perfect challenge and is comparable to mountaineering and underwater photography.
Getting the X30 and some small lights down there isn't that difficult; I bung them all in a padded Darren Barrel - robust, secure, watertight and not a major problem to cave with. On the other hand, the big camera and proper lights are quite a step up in terms of size and weight and are a real PITA to drag, roll and kick through the passages. :)
I'm off on another trip tonight; a return to Eastwater Thirteen Pots. When I did it last time it was the toughest trip I'd undertaken and it just about killed me. My fitness is continuing to improve and this time I'm even contemplating taking the X30 with me; it's a big ask, but there is a shot I want to try and see if it works in preparation for a publicity stunt next year.

X30 was out and about again this weekend :)
I was invited to tag along on an exploratory dive into a Snowdonia mine. A day of playing Sherpa to get the dive gear up the mountain and a day praying my big camera would deliver a half decent photo of the dive.
The mine is absolutely amazing and would make a stunning photo destination; however, access is tightly controlled and there are strict conditions of entry. I was privileged to be able to join the group.
These are pretty much snaps take during the setup day; but I can't argue with the results!

Hand held shot in the bunkhouse with illumination from just the Citronella candle on the table.
Amazing what you can get away with on the X30!
20150724-231734-DSCF6517-M.jpg

Every location ought to have a boat :)
The crystal clear water is 100ft deep and illumination in this shot is just from three head torches.
This shot could be so much better lit with a floodlight hung under the boat; but that's for another time.
20150725-110940-DSCF6544-M.jpg

This is one of the divers peering into the abyss at dive-base.
Illumination is from just two head torches; the one in shot is being held under the water.
This was an exploratory dive into uncharted territory, not a photo trip; dive safety was paramount and my main goal was to try and keep out the way!
20150725-111728-DSCF6554-L.jpg

Mercifully, the big camera got a couple of half decent shots of the dive, after which two of us went off to explore.
I got some shots of a huge chamber which I'm really proud of. This mine is a wonderful location!
If you want a look at what the big camera got and other shots from the X30, please do have a look at my gallery from the weekend.
http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/2015/2015-07-26-Rhiwbach/50885650_MHNcbc

Bit the bullet and bought an X30 from Digital rev. Took all of 52 hours door to door.
So far i like the differences, and that most adjustments can be done at eye-level.
Not so nice out side So have been playing and setting it up to my liking. (Still at the button hunting stage)
Very pleased that you can Set the Q spaces to any functions as I work in Raw I could change a few....
most importantly was to use one as flash output adjustment.

The firmware needed updating to 1.01, which I have done.
I have bought a spare battery and screen protector and also a universal charger for camera batteries.

Now I have the full set X10..X20 and X30.......... I shall probably just keep all of them

it took a strange route coming here...
TSUEN WAN HONG KONG
LANTAU ISLAND HK
SENNAN-SHI JAPAN
NARITA-SHI JP
ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE FRANCE (3 locations)
STANSTEAD GREAT BRITAIN
back again to ROISSY CHARLES DE GAULLE
back again to STANSTEAD GB
LITTLEBOROUGH GREATER MANCHESTER
OLDHAM
IT ARRIVED GREENFIELD

Although very disappointed at witnessing the slow demise of my XF1 I was so impressed with it for the short time that I had it that I feel the need to replace it with another Fuji. Is there any similar problems with any of the other Fuji X series (over-exposure, lens control error)? Thinking about an X-M1 or an X-E1 probably but also very impressed with everything I'm seeing here about the X20 and X30.

The X-M1 and X-E1 are different animals to the X-?0 series - the X-?1s are interchangeable lens bodies so are less compact than the X-?0 which are all compacts, although not as compact as the XF1. I have owned all 3 of the X?0 compacts and still have (and use) the X10 and X30. The X10 did go back to Fuji for a problem under warranty but the X30 has never needed to make the trip. If budget allows, the X-T1 (or X-T10) are probably the cream of the (current) Fuji crop.

Thanks Nod, yep, got the differences in the ranges but thinking a M1 or E1 with a standard 'kit' zoom would be similar to some of the compacts (although a bit bigger) and can pick up an E1 or M1 at pretty good money just now. Had a X10 on loan for a few weeks and enjoyed that too, would consider buying an X10. Biggest concern is that I'd buy another Fuji with suicidal tendancies. In all honesty I'd go for another XF1 if I thought it was going to be reliable. Budget wouldn't stretch to an X-T1 sadly, even if it did my better half would remind me that I have a Nikon system to feed too, as well as a family ...

The X10 and x20 have been very reliable. the x30 is rarely seen on the fuji refurbished site, which leads one to suppose that there are even fewer service guarantee faults. I have heard nothing on this thread to suggest otherwise.
The xf1 is a true domestic pocket camera and falls prey all to easily to that sort of abuse. They are brilliant little cameras but not up to the rigors of a hard life, In the same way as the other all magnesium alloy X## cameras which are far from delicate.

The X10 and x20 have been very reliable. the x30 is rarely seen on the fuji refurbished site, which leads one to suppose that there are even fewer service guarantee faults. I have heard nothing on this thread to suggest otherwise.
The xf1 is a true domestic pocket camera and falls prey all to easily to that sort of abuse. They are brilliant little cameras but not up to the rigors of a hard life, In the same way as the other all magnesium alloy X## cameras which are far from delicate.

Maybe that's why mine are still working. They both live in their fitted Fuji cases so are protected from the worst of the all but inevitable bumps that the dead ones may have been subjected to. My tan one is probably the oldest one on the forum since it had only just been released when I bought it but the black one was one of the later ones from Currys/PCWorld.

My X30 doesn't live in a case, has been dropped more than once and is regularly abused :)

Admittedly I did eventually kill the IS in my original X10 after 3 years of similar treatment. I suspect it was an accumulation of salt water ingested through the lens that eventually got too much for it.
Can't complain though; it was regularly used in conditions I wouldn't dare get my weather sealed big camera gear out in.

Last edited:
LOL - some of the cavers are natural models, in most cases it's the photographer who is the weak link :)
I wish I'd discovered caving years ago; it has all the thrills of the big mountains without the crowds.
The social side of caving is pretty darned good too!

I'm still struggling with why there are so few cave photographers; less than half a dozen that I know of in the UK.
A lot of photographers love a challenge, this is a perfect challenge and is comparable to mountaineering and underwater photography.
Getting the X30 and some small lights down there isn't that difficult; I bung them all in a padded Darren Barrel - robust, secure, watertight and not a major problem to cave with. On the other hand, the big camera and proper lights are quite a step up in terms of size and weight and are a real PITA to drag, roll and kick through the passages. :)
I'm off on another trip tonight; a return to Eastwater Thirteen Pots. When I did it last time it was the toughest trip I'd undertaken and it just about killed me. My fitness is continuing to improve and this time I'm even contemplating taking the X30 with me; it's a big ask, but there is a shot I want to try and see if it works in preparation for a publicity stunt next year.

Can I ask what settings you mostly use on the X30 for your cave photos ?

Back