The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I rather wish someone would bring out an un-vented version of the hood/ adapter, as the see through vent is not needed on the X30. And it would prevent the ingress of dust on to the lens with the cap on.

The cap is quite a good fit, although isn't a 100% seal. If you turn the camera on and look at the viewfinder/screen there is a little light leaking through. I'm pretty sure the slots could be covered easily though. A perfectly sized flat rubber black washer on the back of the hood would probably do it.

AL

Last edited:
How does the X30 handle video? My XF1 is hopeless. The auto-focus hunts like crazy. The auto-focus snaps in very quick but over-reaches then tries to focus back again, but then goes again too far the other way, resulting in an almost constant thrashing about. Even when focus is achieved, infuriatingly the XF1 decides it doesn't have focus and tries the hunting procedure again.

I took the XF1 out over the weekend after a long while and have been reminded how good the JPEG engine is and the quality achievable from the small camera that a phone can never give.

I had been considering an upgrade and looked at the X30, RX100 M3, Lumix GM5, LX100 and Sony A6000. I just wanted something small and handy in the day bag for when out with the family and the X30 seems to offer a substantial upgrade over the XF1 except for the small form factor.

Last edited:
How does the X30 handle video? My XF1 is hopeless. The auto-focus hunts like crazy. The auto-focus snaps in very quick but over-reaches then tries to focus back again, but then goes again too far the other way, resulting in an almost constant thrashing about. Even when focus is achieved, infuriatingly the XF1 decides it doesn't have focus and tries the hunting procedure again.

I took the XF1 out over the weekend after a long while and have been reminded how good the JPEG engine is and the quality achievable from the small camera that a phone can never give.

I had been considering an upgrade and looked at the X30, RX100 M3, Lumix GM5, LX100 and Sony A6000. I just wanted something small and handy in the day bag for when out with the family and the X30 seems to over a substantial upgrade over the XF1 except for the small form factor.

Have only tried mine out a few times so far. But it is a vast improvement on my X10 and X20 I did not notice any focus hunting at all, and the overall quality is entirely usable. The sound can be improved with an external mike.
Though experts say that there are cameras out there that are better for movies but less good for stills.
I

Thanks @Terrywoodenpic for your input. I am aware there are cameras out there that are better for movies but the stills from the Fuji seem very appealing as I am always amazed from the XF1 output. I simply want to take random clips of family members in-between shooting stills to form short 2 or so minute trailers. I have my Nikon kit for more serious and involving work.

The other annoying aspect of the XF1 is the 4.9 aperture when zoom in. The X30 at 2.8 would allow for better zoomed images. The only thing is the size puts me off but at around £250 it offers a lot.

Thanks @Terrywoodenpic for your input. I am aware there are cameras out there that are better for movies but the stills from the Fuji seem very appealing as I am always amazed from the XF1 output. I simply want to take random clips of family members in-between shooting stills to form short 2 or so minute trailers. I have my Nikon kit for more serious and involving work.

The other annoying aspect of the XF1 is the 4.9 aperture when zoom in. The X30 at 2.8 would allow for better zoomed images. The only thing is the size puts me off but at around £250 it offers a lot.

Everything considered... I can't think of a better compromise.
Its that rare thing ... a camera that does what it says on the tin.

I use these ones from ebay 6x Savvies SU75 Displayfolie Schutz Folie für FujiFilm X30

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-Savvie...ujiFilm-X30-/361349647107?hash=item54221e0b03

Cleaned the glass with meth and polished with a micro cloth. Fitted spot on first time, which is unusual for me and my shaky hand. No bubbles or dust.

Though for six for Only £1.40 inc. postage I would not have minded if I had spoilt a couple.

Thanks for that I will take a look for when my X30 arrives. I contacted the people who sold me the good X20 ones on ebay but they don't do them for the X30

:banana: Woop! My X20 has arrived!! Not had chance for a proper play but initial impressions are good. It feels similar to my Panasonic Gf1 with 20mm in the hand with the added advantage of the OVF.

Can't decide whether to start fiddling with settings or just do a factory reset and start from scratch... Think I'll do the unheard of and read the manual first!!

Now if it will just stop raining I may get out with it over the weekend for a proper play...

Next is to decide on which wrist strap, soft release button and case to get!

:banana: Woop! My X20 has arrived!! Not had chance for a proper play but initial impressions are good. It feels similar to my Panasonic Gf1 with 20mm in the hand with the added advantage of the OVF.

Can't decide whether to start fiddling with settings or just do a factory reset and start from scratch... Think I'll do the unheard of and read the manual first!!

Now if it will just stop raining I may get out with it over the weekend for a proper play...

Next is to decide on which wrist strap, soft release button and case to get!
Good for you...
I would do a factory reset there is no knowing what strange settings have been set up by people like me.
Anyone picking up my X30 would be totally confused.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party grip for the x30? I made a wooden one out of oak for my x20 but it was hassle.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party grip for the x30? I made a wooden one out of oak for my x20 but it was hassle.
There is an American bamboo one out there, but no one else has got round to it yet. I personally have no problem holding it as is. But one with a built in Arca slide would make sense.

The Gariz half-case makes the grip a bit bigger but I found I couldn't get on with the extended depth of the case.

Thanks Terry. I've ordered these from Amazon - not quite as good a deal as yours though :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O7O5L1S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'll keep an eye on your eBay ones in case these aren't any good.

AL

EDIT: They are the same ones :)

They arrived today - spoilt one, but then found it a lot easier to attach to the long edge of the screen first. A few seconds to get it done. Although they seem quite flimsy compared to what I have used in the past some protection is better than none IMO. Maybe they could be doubled up.

AL

They arrived today - spoilt one, but then found it a lot easier to attach to the long edge of the screen first. A few seconds to get it done. Although they seem quite flimsy compared to what I have used in the past some protection is better than none IMO. Maybe they could be doubled up.

AL
I've never used a screen protector and have never had a scratch on the screen; they are quite tough.
I like to think I abuse my little X cameras significantly more than most people.
Last week it was used in horrendous weather so bad I didn't want to get my big (weather sealed) camera out.
The week before it was used on a caving trip; really nasty conditions; at least the wet weather washed most of the clay and grit off it :)

Received the x20 I bought for my grandson today and took it out for a spin to test it, I forgot what a fun and capable little gem it was.

Good for you...
I would do a factory reset there is no knowing what strange settings have been set up by people like me.
Anyone picking up my X30 would be totally confused.

Took your advice and did a factory reset, have put some basic settings in for myself so far and will hopefully have a proper play at the weekend and tweak them...

I've never used a screen protector and have never had a scratch on the screen; they are quite tough.
I like to think I abuse my little X cameras significantly more than most people.
Last week it was used in horrendous weather so bad I didn't want to get my big (weather sealed) camera out.
The week before it was used on a caving trip; really nasty conditions; at least the wet weather washed most of the clay and grit off it :)
They are more insurance really, the hope is that they never have to do anything.
even a light scratch can make glass far more susceptible to cracking. So even a thin protector can prevent costly repairs. I have never yet had a broken screen but I have seen a few, like you my camera goes where I go and gets no more protection.

if it does not say refurbished on the box(they are different from the standard new box as fuji repackage them) i would say its new

if it does not say refurbished on the box(they are different from the standard new box as fuji repackage them) i would say its new

I have not even opened the plastic outer bag just in case it needs to go back, So it will say "Refurbished" on the box if it is refurbished ?

This is the label

label.jpg

So anyone on here who has bought off DigitalRev - Did it say Refurbished on the label on the package ?

No always had new... I would phone them up or email them. They had a note on mine that they had to put the battery in for shipping and that was it. Was it all in its original plastic bags.

Last edited:
I have not even opened the plastic outer bag just in case it needs to go back, So it will say "Refurbished" on the box if it is refurbished ?

This is the label

label.jpg

yes if its from fujifilm refurbished stock it wont be in a normal x30 box(i've had 3 from the refurb store and were in a generic fujifilm box) i reckon its a way to get out of import duty.

Last edited:
Thinking about it when i got my new xt10 the box was not sealed but the bag iside containing the body was.

Thinking about it when i got my new xt10 the box was not sealed but the bag iside containing the body was.

Yeah I have looked inside as it was not sealed and the camera looks to be in a bag but I have not touched it at all

Did your shipping document say "Refurbished" I am thinking (Hoping really) that it is either a mistake or as you said some way of getting past customs

Back