The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I reckon irs new m8

Yeah I am beginning to think the same :rolleyes: Just waiting to hear back from DigitalRev before I open any further :woot:

Thanks @Terrywoodenpic for your input. I am aware there are cameras out there that are better for movies but the stills from the Fuji seem very appealing as I am always amazed from the XF1 output. I simply want to take random clips of family members in-between shooting stills to form short 2 or so minute trailers. I have my Nikon kit for more serious and involving work.

The other annoying aspect of the XF1 is the 4.9 aperture when zoom in. The X30 at 2.8 would allow for better zoomed images. The only thing is the size puts me off but at around £250 it offers a lot.
I do use my X10 for little video clips, the quality is pretty good. I do like using it for video, it's just a little bulky though.

Ahh right..... I will see what DigitalRev say

Well all seems good. Just got email back from digitalrev saying it was a labeling mistake and they don't sell refurbished gear. Also looking at my box and sealed bag with fuji security label I am going to trust them.

Plus I think if they were being sneaky or anything they would not have put the refurbished label on for all to see

Last edited:
John, your box looks the same as mine and I bought mine before there could be any refurbished units available.

Well all seems good. Just got email back from digitalrev saying it was a labeling mistake and they don't sell refurbished gear. Also looking at my box and sealed bag with fuji security label I am going to trust them.

Plus I think if they were being sneaky or anything they would not have put the refurbished label on for all to see

Also I don't suppose the box was 1inx1inx1in either.
I do use my X10 for little video clips, the quality is pretty good. I do like using it for video, it's just a little bulky though.

Don't get me wrong I was reasonably happy with the movie rusults from my x10 and x20, but the x30 movies are an entirely different experience.
With a wide range of frame rates and qualities and the option to use an external microphone. The quality is rather better than the results from some professional wedding video I have seen.

Last edited:
Don't get me wUOTE="John Young, post: 7005027, member: 14516"]
Don't get me wrong I was reasonably happy with the movie rusults from my x10 and x20, but the x30 movies are an entirely different experience.
With a wide range of frame rates and qualities and the option to use an external microphone. The quality is rather better than the results from some professional wedding video I have seen.
I have tried my friends X20 and that seems similar quality to my X10, is the X30 really that much better? I thought they were all the same sensors :thinking: I love the X10 for both stills and video, I would just love it in a smaller package :)

Has anyone managed to get an X30 manual printed? The manuals I've found online don't seem to lend themselves to printing.

Thanks,
AL

I have tried my friends X20 and that seems similar quality to my X10, is the X30 really that much better? I thought they were all the same sensors :thinking: I love the X10 for both stills and video, I would just love it in a smaller package :)

The X10 uses a Cmos EXR with a unique filter arrangement. The X20 and X30 use the X-Trans CMOS II sensor with the same features as in the Xpro1 camera. And a different filter arrangement to the X10. to eliminate moire effects.
The X10 is considered by many to produce the best Jpeg images straight out of the camera. However Its raw images are very difficult to process to match them in quality.

The Cine quality on the X10 and X20 are very similar indeed however the The X30 produces full HD images of 1920x1080 at frame rates from 24fps to 60fps
and at up to 250fps at 320x112 for extreme slow motion and many settings between. The cine processing firmware has been totally revamped and produces much more detailed images.( less smudging) So although the sensor is the same (or very similar) to the X20 the results are different.

If you are happy with the movie results from your X10 you would be over the moon with those from the X30. They have still got a very long way to go to even approach the quality you can get from better DSLR's, with their large sensors and professional film features.

Has anyone managed to get an X30 manual printed? The manuals I've found online don't seem to lend themselves to printing.

Thanks,
AL
That is a bone of contention. the on-line version is pretty horrible with large gaps and impossible to navigate quickly.
Was I not very familiar with the X10 and X20 versions I would have been entirely lost. What Fuji were thinking about not to include a printed version , heaven only knows. But I was very irritated when I found out. The starter version is a complete waste of time.
It seems to becoming standard practice and we are expected to down load it to a portable device. But if that is to work it needs to have active page links and a better logic and search function. I doubt we will see that any-time soon.

The X10 uses a Cmos EXR with a unique filter arrangement. The X20 and X30 use the X-Trans CMOS II sensor with the same features as in the Xpro1 camera. And a different filter arrangement to the X10. to eliminate moire effects.
The X10 is considered by many to produce the best Jpeg images straight out of the camera. However Its raw images are very difficult to process to match them in quality.

The Cine quality on the X10 and X20 are very similar indeed however the The X30 produces full HD images of 1920x1080 at frame rates from 24fps to 60fps
and at up to 250fps at 320x112 for extreme slow motion and many settings between. The cine processing firmware has been totally revamped and produces much more detailed images.( less smudging) So although the sensor is the same (or very similar) to the X20 the results are different.

If you are happy with the movie results from your X10 you would be over the moon with those from the X30. They have still got a very long way to go to even approach the quality you can get from better DSLR's, with their large sensors and professional film features.
Thanks for the info, I did not know all that. Well that's pretty handy to know, for future reference. Although for future purchases I was set on the Canon S120 or Sony RX100 mk1, mainly for their compactness. The Sony looks favourable, especially as the prices are dropping. It wont be too long, before they are under £200 :)

Here's a photo from today's caving trip with the X30.
Amazed this came out as it is a large chamber, minimal lighting, and is hand held!
The caver is only half way across the chamber, but if they had been further away they would have dropped down out of sight :)

Hall of the Mountain King, Ogof Craig A Ffynnon, South Wales.
20150822-135428-DSCF8138-L.jpg

Amazed this came out as it is a large chamber, minimal lighting, and is hand held!
The caver is only half way across the chamber, but if they had been further away they would have dropped down out of sight :)

That is an awesome site and a great photo :clap: Those layers in the background there look really interesting

That is an awesome site and a great photo :clap: Those layers in the background there look really interesting
Thanks John!
It was a memorable trip; an amazing cave which isn't visited that often - we were only the second group in there this month!
I meant to take more photos but it didn't work out for lots of reasons; now I know what to expect I need to get back there. There are chambers with many hundreds of fine straw stalactites hanging from the ceiling and will make amazing photos!
Main complication is mud; this is an extremely muddy cave. I ended up covered in the stuff head to toe including my face and there were places I was seriously in danger of losing my wellingtons. Trying to keep the camera clean is a real challenge.
The other complication is the crawling through corkscrew like ascents; even my small bag kept getting stuck and the large bag I usually carry would be quite an ordeal!
But this was just a reccy and now I know what to expect and have some idea of the shots I'd like to take I can prepare for a return trip.

LOL - just found a superb video showing what I dragged my X30 through today!
http://blog.dudleycavingclub.org.uk/2010/11/ogof-craig-ffynnon-too-tight-to-mention.html
Main difference is that with the dry summer we have had there was no dripping water to clean us as me passed through the boulder chokes and the mud was even more glutinous. When we emerged you couldn't tell what colour our suits were and it was like stepping into a sauna as we came out into humid thundery conditions under bright sunshine :)
But the video does show the tight bits and the challenges of getting the bag through extremely well !

Reminds me of journey to the center of the earth, origin version of course :) . Really amazing like a whole new world, would love to do exploration like that. But being a little uneasy in confined spaces, probably could never do anything like that. Great to be able to do such exploration, and take photos also. Really like the photos :)

lovely stuff. Dont know how you or the x30 put up with the conditions.

Thanks both!
If yesterday seems a tad mad - today is going to be the real proof :)
The original plans have been rained off; photo reccie of a new discovery here in Mendip. Current conditions would mean descending a 100ft rope under a waterfall; not nice.
So we are going somewhere else; an abandoned mine. My first visit

Thanks both!
The original plans have been rained off; photo reccie of a new discovery here in Mendip. Current conditions would mean descending a 100ft rope under a waterfall; not nice.

That also sounds good - photos please from your trusty X30 (y)

You should contact Fuji and show them what you do with their camera - maybe they would feature you somewhere as it shows the X30 off brilliantly and shows its tuff

Thanks both!
Duncan, where do you get all that energy from? If I am feeling up to it, I may brave it and take my X10 to a local park today. That's about as extreme as it gets for me ;) .

I could not even do that after a LONG day shooting a wedding yesterday
Just back from the park, only stayed out for an hour. Did not bother taking the X10 as it was too bright to see anything meaningful, and the OVF is pretty useless on the camera. But it was a nice walk with the dog, that's about as energetic it gets for me :D

Last edited:
John, you need an X30!!! OK, no OVF but the EVF is pretty bloody good and is a proper WYSIWYG as well as showing useful things like the artificial horizon. The parallax and the lens's intrusion into the VF of the 10 and 20 make the 30 a much nicer handling experience and as I'm sure you're aware, the IQ is the same as the 20's.

Just finished this camera strap for my Daughter I need some Dark leather to make one for my X30 I have the fittings waiting.
It is 5/8" wide very flexible with the back polished with a mix or 50/50 % carnauba and bees wax. ( non sticky)
The Conway loop buckles adjust with out leaving an end to deal with. Each hole adds 3/4 inch to the drop.( one hole each side adds 1 1/2"
The loops are 1.5 mm nylon sewn and encapsulated with araldite.(They take my weight) so they will cope with a little X30

LOL - cheers for the comments!
Today's trip wasn't a success photographically. The shot I was after was of the blue hole under the water and took dive lights to place underwater to make it shine. However, the storm conditions on the surface made the water cloudy and the shot wasn't going to happen. It made stepping through the water kinda interesting knowing there was a bottomless pit somewhere in it.
The remaining lighting I was carrying wasn't enough to back-light the cavers with them looking at the camera, and it was all a bit rushed - hey ho.
But it's a memento of a brilliantly fun trip, so I'm happy :)
20150823-115343-DSCF8139-L.jpg

This was a Calamine mine; very nice colours in the parts that weren't fully dug out. What I wasn't expecting is that the mine follows the veins and twists and roller coasts seemingly randomly; we got very lost (main reason for rushing this shot) but it worked out OK in the end.
Been to the pub for a celebratory meal concluding a memorable weekend. Just got to pop out between storms, wash the rope and return the ladders; lush :)

That is really cool Duncan - Like I said contact Fuji explain what you use their camera for and you never know - they might feature you somewhere.

Or self publish a book with all your photos in - that would be cool (y)

Well I opened my X30 today and so far.........

VERY impressed - lovely to use and to me it seems a world away from the X20. Love how you can change to black and white for example just by turning the control wheel at the front rather than going into menu and the viewfinder is superb.

I will test more soon but its looking like a keeper

LOL - cheers John.
It's true that I could fill a book with X10/X30 images - the little Fujis have done me proud.
Mountain landscapes, festivals, community events; two images were in my ARPS panel and quite a few have been published by the local papers/mags.
This caving thing is just one way I'm abusing the X30 at the mo though it has also been used for commercial publicity shots for a few clients this year too.

Next thing I'm working towards is Hidden Earth, the UK's annual caving convention. It has a major photography salon and realistically I don't stand a chance as some of the photographers are 'really' good; at least two of them are full time adventure photographers and the majority of UK people will recognise their standout images from the likes of National Geographic. It's going to be a real privilege to meet them :)
I'm preparing images at the mo and although the majority will be from the big camera quite a few will be from the X30; I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference.

John, you need an X30!!! OK, no OVF but the EVF is pretty bloody good and is a proper WYSIWYG as well as showing useful things like the artificial horizon. The parallax and the lens's intrusion into the VF of the 10 and 20 make the 30 a much nicer handling experience and as I'm sure you're aware, the IQ is the same as the 20's.

Hi @Nod is that post for me? Trying to get something else lined up, something a little more pocketable. But you just never know ;)

PS post must be for me, as John above has already got an X30 lol

Last edited:
Yes, it was. I'm dreading the almost inevitable demise of my XFs and wondering what to replace them with. I'm thinking a belt pouch, possibly repurposing my golf scrotum (well, what else do you call something that holds a couple of balls and some things to rest them on while driving?!) to carry the X30 (unless the 40 is a significant upgrade...)

Yes, it was. I'm dreading the almost inevitable demise of my XFs and wondering what to replace them with. I'm thinking a belt pouch, possibly repurposing my golf scrotum (well, what else do you call something that holds a couple of balls and some things to rest them on while driving?!) to carry the X30 (unless the 40 is a significant upgrade...)

How about the Sony :rolleyes: I have not yet got a replacement for mine, feels pretty imminent though :)

Result!
Just had the image requests in for the latest batch of Arts Trail publicity photos.
26 images in total, 14 from the DSLR and 12 from the X30.
These are the images they want to use for printing and need top image quality; the X30 did a cracking job!

Result!
Just had the image requests in for the latest batch of Arts Trail publicity photos.
26 images in total, 14 from the DSLR and 12 from the X30.
These are the images they want to use for printing and need top image quality; the X30 did a cracking job!
Well done but its not just the camera but the eye behind the lens.

How about the Sony :rolleyes: I have not yet got a replacement for mine, feels pretty imminent though :)

Can't quite bring myself to put a hifi in my pocket! ;) (And yes, I'm well aware that my Nikons and possibly Fujis have Sony sensors in them.)

Back