The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Can't quite bring myself to put a hifi in my pocket! ;) (And yes, I'm well aware that my Nikons and possibly Fujis have Sony sensors in them.)

Quite true, but Fuji put their own Colour filter array and micro-lens on them. Their firmware for creating the raw files is also very different.
It is like Sony supplying the soles and Fuji supplying the design criteria and making the shoes.

Can't quite bring myself to put a hifi in my pocket! ;) (And yes, I'm well aware that my Nikons and possibly Fujis have Sony sensors in them.)

Quite true, but Fuji put their own Colour filter array and micro-lens on them. Their firmware for creating the raw files is also very different.
It is like Sony supplying the soles and Fuji supplying the design criteria and making the shoes.

I am still a little miffed with fujifilm, maybe that's why I am a little reluctant. But I still have the X10 so I am keeping my hand in, OK I still love the little Fujis. Although I have not done much reading up on the X30, my stubbornness I suppose :) . But being truthful, I want something pocketable for my next purchase.

But you just never know, there is nowt stranger than folk ;)

I am still a little miffed with fujifilm, maybe that's why I am a little reluctant. But I still have the X10 so I am keeping my hand in, OK I still love the little Fujis. Although I have not done much reading up on the X30, my stubbornness I suppose :) . But being truthful, I want something pocketable for my next purchase.

But you just never know, there is nowt stranger than folk ;)

If I wanted another truly pocket camera it would not be a Fuji at the moment.
My now ancient Minolta G600 serves that purpose but spends most of its life in my car. However I find such small cameras difficult to handle. Even though the Minolta does have a usable optical finder.and an exceptionally fine lens.

If I wanted another truly pocket camera it would not be a Fuji at the moment.
My now ancient Minolta G600 serves that purpose but spends most of its life in my car. However I find such small cameras difficult to handle. Even though the Minolta does have a usable optical finder.and an exceptionally fine lens.
I love my X10 but for me it just is not a take everywhere camera, I have to make a concious choice to take it out with me. Most of the time I leave it at home, I just do not like carrying a camera in my hands, or around my neck. I need to be able to stick it in my pocket every time I go out, and forget about it, till its needed. Even if I got an X30 it would still end up being left at home, due to it not being pocketable.

I love my X10 but for me it just is not a take everywhere camera, I have to make a concious choice to take it out with me. Most of the time I leave it at home, I just do not like carrying a camera in my hands, or around my neck. I need to be able to stick it in my pocket every time I go out, and forget about it, till its needed. Even if I got an X30 it would still end up being left at home, due to it not being pocketable.

I understand that...
I just wear mine cross shoulder and tucked under my arm, but I am retired and not restricted in carting a camera everywhere.
It would be good if You could just snap it in half and stick it in two pockets.

I understand that...
I just wear mine cross shoulder and tucked under my arm, but I am retired and not restricted in carting a camera everywhere.
It would be good if You could just snap it in half and stick it in two pockets.
I too am retired /semi retired and I care for the missus who is totally dependant on a wheel chair. If I go out I take the dog the park, so I need one hand on the lead and the other free for the poo bags etc. If I have the X10 I have to hurriedly stuff it in a coat pocket, or other then chase after the dog. If I am out with the missus, I have to push her chair. So I can't have a camera dangling around my neck, as it bang against her chair. It is very rare I go out on my own, maybe I should take more time out.

So that's why a pocketable camera would suit my situation. When me and the missus go out, I will stuff my X10 in the bag my missus has attached to her chair. But when I see a shot, it means me fishing around her bag. It's not too bad if we go out for the day and we are set up some place, then I can get camera out of bag and take photos relaxed :)

I too am retired /semi retired and I care for the missus who is totally dependant on a wheel chair. If I go out I take the dog the park, so I need one hand on the lead and the other free for the poo bags etc. If I have the X10 I have to hurriedly stuff it in a coat pocket, or other then chase after the dog. If I am out with the missus, I have to push her chair. So I can't have a camera dangling around my neck, as it bang against her chair. It is very rare I go out on my own, maybe I should take more time out.

So that's why a pocketable camera would suit my situation. When me and the missus go out, I will stuff my X10 in the bag my missus has attached to her chair. But when I see a shot, it means me fishing around her bag. It's not too bad if we go out for the day and we are set up some place, then I can get camera out of bag and take photos relaxed :)

Just thinking... Would something like a Peak Design belt clip thingy be of any help. Im planning to hang my X30 from one fastened to my normal jeans belt.

Or you could use a belt mounted pouch like I do...
Doesn't get in the way and is always there when I need it.
Mine is a Lowepro Apex 60 AW which just fits the X30 and comes with a shoulder strap for when you aren't wearing a belt.
Used continuously since the X10 first came out and I had to sew up the velcro flap thingy to increase security it has done me fine. Just been through the wash as it was covered in mud.

Has anyone used the wi-fi function on the X30 - I can set the connection up no problem but I cannot transfer anything . I just keep getting an error message "Cannot connect" when I select the PC to transfer to from the camera ??

Also I change the destination folder to a useful folder for me but when I click on "pen saved folder" from the app on the PC it just shows the generic my pictures folder even though I have changed it and it says my choice of folder

Just thinking... Would something like a Peak Design belt clip thingy be of any help. Im planning to hang my X30 from one fastened to my normal jeans belt.
Not really one for having things dangling from my body, prefer to keep it concealed away. But thanks for the thought anyway :)

Has anyone used the wi-fi function on the X30 - I can set the connection up no problem but I cannot transfer anything . I just keep getting an error message "Cannot connect" when I select the PC to transfer to from the camera ??

Also I change the destination folder to a useful folder for me but when I click on "pen saved folder" from the app on the PC it just shows the generic my pictures folder even though I have changed it and it says my choice of folder

I have only used the app for controlling the camera to take shots, and that works fine.
I have never used it to share or move files as I prefer to just use the card in a card reader.
It will be interesting to find out if any one uses this function in real life.

I used the wifi function once or twice for remote control and transfer. With transfer there is a very specific order in which you must do things in order for it to work. I cant remember the order, but i remember doing the instructions step by step led to the eureka moment.

Yeah I usually just take the card out - I just thought I would try this as it might be handy especially if the camera was in its half case so no need to remove it

Nope - Tried everything I can and it wont work - total Junk :confused:

I can set up the connection find and find my PC etc but as soon as I start to try and use it and transfer photos I get "CAN NOT BE CONNECTED" - and that's it and its allowed through my firewall to

Good job this function was not a reason I bought this camera

I had the same. I think it was something silly like don't open the pc app until the camera is actually searching for it or something... i'l take a look tomorrow.

you can change the size of the focus area by pressing the AF button then rotate the scroll wheel in either direction and it will change size on the screen. ( quicker and easier than using the menu)

you can also move it to any position on the screen after pressing AF by pressing the macro/ flash/ af and time buttons.

Terry, When I press the AF button and follow your instructions above it just changes the options which show when the AF button is pressed. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't figure it out.

AL

Might be your menus are customised. Basically, get to the point where you can move the af point aroind the frame, while on that screen, the thumb wheel will resize it, clicking the wheel will return to default.

Terry, When I press the AF button and follow your instructions above it just changes the options which show when the AF button is pressed. I'm obviously doing something wrong, but can't figure it out.

AL

To check to see how the AF button is set up Press and hold it for at least two seconds, you will see a list of options for that button. it should be set for "focus area" (these sort of settings do not work when you are in "Auto" mode or some other " Special" settings that are mode specific)

If it is set correctly and you are in any of the PSAM modes, then when you press AF the screen with all the +++++ positions comes up. From there you can alter the size of the Focus/exposure point with the scroll wheel or change its position using the four quadrant buttons marked macro, flash, timer and af.

Hope that helps.

PS it may not work if you have face detect set, I have not tried it.

Last edited:
Anyone that has/had an x20 confirm that the x30 has better overall image quality or is it just all bells and whistles

Anyone that has/had an x20 confirm that the x30 has better overall image quality or is it just all bells and whistles

I've got an X30 Stuart, and have also still got an X20. Although the X30 is in my opinion a much nicer camera to use, the X20 images to me are certainly every bit as good.(y)

George.

I still have all three. And it is not about image quality.
There are any number of cameras out there with bigger and better sensors that for one reason or another I would not care to use.
There is probably no difference in IQ between an x20 and an x30 however the firmware is almost certainly different.

After a while I learned how to "aim off" with the x20 to centre my image, however I never knew quite how much I was going to get in the shot.
With the x30 I have every confidence that what I see is what I get . I also have a live histogram to give me confidence in my exposure. And I can check and adjust everything else whilst still looking through the viewfinder.

The X20 still is an excellent camera, but my hit rate is far higher with the X30.
Even things like setting up to take a stitched panaroma is far easier, as is making adjustments to about everything else
If you take any cine work, the quality is far better, and with more useful options.

If I wanted superior IQ I would look to a larger sensor, but for everthing I do, the sensor I have does everything that I need.

Last edited:
I'm still using my X10, goes with me every day, ERC over one shoulder, looks very retro! Bloke at pub asked me ... "Where do you get the films for those, these days?" :)

Seriously tho', not having even handled an X30, how much differance would I notice?

Seriously tho', not having even handled an X30, how much differance would I notice?
If the IS on my X10 hadn't failed I'd still be using it; lovely camera.
But now I've been using the X30 for 9 months I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the X10; for me it is a major improvement.
It has everything I like about the X10, but the AF works better, battery life is much improved, the OVF is superb (I don't use the screen much anymore), the IS lets me get away with much more and the overall handling is quite a bit slicker.
The only thing I miss is being able to hold the Disp button to enter Stealth Mode; no idea why they dropped that!

Keep enjoying the X10 :)
And when it eventually keels over treat yourself to an upgrade; just like the X10 but better :)

I'm still using my X10, goes with me every day, ERC over one shoulder, looks very retro! Bloke at pub asked me ... "Where do you get the films for those, these days?" :)

In results ... ? not that much... except you would find yourself cropping far less.
in Weight and size..?. the x30 has a small disadvantage,if small is better.
in use..? qute a lot, the X30 is equally fun and just as retro, but handles far better.
Is It worth the outlay? I thought so... at todays target price almost certainly.?....

If the IS on my X10 hadn't failed I'd still be using it; lovely camera.
But now I've been using the X30 for 9 months I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the X10; for me it is a major improvement.
It has everything I like about the X10, but the AF works better, battery life is much improved, the OVF is superb (I don't use the screen much anymore), the IS lets me get away with much more and the overall handling is quite a bit slicker.
The only thing I miss is being able to hold the Disp button to enter Stealth Mode; no idea why they dropped that!

Keep enjoying the X10 :)
And when it eventually keels over treat yourself to an upgrade; just like the X10 but better :)

They had to drop the function on the stealth mode, because the "long hold" action on all the buttons was taken over so as to configure what the buttons do. I have moved the stealth mode to the Q menu.

Care to offer a clue how to do that to save me bashing my head against the manual?
I'd be very greatful :)

Go to menu ..
spanner2
edit/save quick menu
select any quick menu item you want to change and click.
a list of all the options comes up... choose silent mode...set.

you will then find it in that position in the Q menu and can turn it on or off.

Last edited:
Great shots really vibrant ... What settings did you use ?

The right ones I hope?
I shot raw and set the colour etc. At the processing stage. (This is the way I always work) The Colour chosen would have been Fuji standard. Velvia would be far too strong for such saturated colours, and you would lose detail in them.
I do not much care for the Adobe Standard for Fuji raws.
There was far more available highlight and shadow detail than I chose to use.

Back