The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I was a very early adopter of the XF1 so it's probably closer to 3 years old now and still works. AFAIK, the newer one's still in fine fettle as well. Long may they continue to serve me well!
I should have bought one of the earlier ones, instead of waiting for the price to drop. Deffo false economy in my case :)

The newer one was one of the Currys specials. Doesn't get a lot of use but worked fine last time I tried it!

The newer one was one of the Currys specials. Doesn't get a lot of use but worked fine last time I tried it!
Mine was a Currys special also..Took it out the box last night, tried to fire it up. Still dead as a Dodo! Just means my X10 gets more attention, and has a spare battery :)

Just bought the Mrs an x30 for Christmas (refurb+paypal12+postage=£229 which I thought was good).

Been looking for a replacement for the Nikon V1 which broke and she isn't getting on with the Oly EPM2 I bought her due to lack of VF and the touchscreen keeps activating and taking photos as it swings over her, err, assets. :D

Think it will be ideal for her as all she wants is something simple to use and with good IQ, good JPGs and a viewfinder is a must-have, wifi is a bonus.

Are the long term users still happy? the photos in this thread look great. Any user tips for me, I mean her?

Just bought the Mrs an x30 for Christmas (refurb+paypal12+postage=£229 which I thought was good).

Been looking for a replacement for the Nikon V1 which broke and she isn't getting on with the Oly EPM2 I bought her due to lack of VF and the touchscreen keeps activating and taking photos as it swings over her, err, assets. :D

Think it will be ideal for her as all she wants is something simple to use and with good IQ, good JPGs and a viewfinder is a must-have, wifi is a bonus.

Are the long term users still happy? the photos in this thread look great. Any user tips for me, I mean her?

I only have the X10 :( not much happing in this thread lately ..

I'm very happy with mine. Rarely use the dslr anymore. I even took both to watch the kids on a quadding day and ended up putting the dslr away!

I rarely shoot manual anymore, usually aperture priority or P-mode. I also shoot raw + jpg. Jpgs are fine for sharing quick shots via phone but if it could be a great shot I process the raw.
Also, most auto modes are pretty standard and dont get used, but pro low-light is very useful indeed!

Last edited:
Thanks folks, some of the photos in this thread are great and I'm pretty sure the wife will love the simplicity (I'm evidence enough of that :D)

Is it fair to say that the small sensored X30 still has the "Fuji colours"?

That's one thing I miss with the rx100 compared to the xf1. The iq may be better but it's a bit "meh"...

It's a really well featured camera for the money. The evf is great and the build quality is right up there.
It's strange how the price dropped so quickly. The af is fast enough for most things and image quality is great. Macro mode is good as always. If anything there are too many features! Hehe.

I'm using Sandisk Ultra cards in my X30 at the moment. Would I see any benefit with the Extreme version?

Thanks,
AL

I'm using Sandisk Ultra cards in my X30 at the moment. Would I see any benefit with the Extreme version?

Thanks,
AL
Speed - I suspect it will make no difference in-camera, but might download faster on the computer.
Build - The Extreme cards are built differently to the normal SanDisk SD cards and are far more rugged.

The Extreme cards are more expensive, but aren't crazy expensive; if I've had a choice I've usually bought Extreme.

Thanks,
AL

I use the 16GB extreme version and it certainly keeps up well with everything I have wanted to do. However I have not used an ultra card to compare.

For rapid shooting in raw and HD movies the extreme write twice as fast. which must be an advantage.
They also have an extra silicone coating to protect them from water.

Last edited:
Have ordered them. Sandisk list Amazon as an authorised retailer of their goods but I'll still try to verify with Sandisk that they are genuine before I use them.

AL

I've had fakes from Amazon before. They were quick to replace though, and didnt ask for the fake back!

How do you tell they're fake?
Benchmark them, there are plenty of programs around. Just make sure speeds and size are what they're supposed to be. It's usually the speed which will be off on a fake.
That said, a friend of mine bought a 1TB USB stick from China, just to see what he got - speed was indeed USB 3, but only about 25gb of usable space lol

Woot Woot :banana:

My X30 is back from repair.
Sent on Nov 3rd, so just over a month.
Lovely to have it back :)

Annoyingly, it was 3 weeks out of warranty and the initial repair estimate was £150.
But my local camera shop pleaded my case and the work was eventually done under warranty.
They tell me that warranty repairs and other repairs are done at different service centres, so I suspect part of the reason it has taken so long is that they first needed to resolve who was going to do the work.

Great stuff. I think I might take out the extended warranty. " 2 years extra for £45 IIRC - and it can be taken out any time before the initial 12 month warranty runs out as far as I know.

AL

Whoops - I just dropped my X30 down a mine shaft. :eek:
It fell out of my over-suit as I leant forwards and it wasn't even in a case.
During the 30ft fall it bounced loudly off the walls.
This was particularly annoying as this was its first time out after a month at Fuji having the on/off problem fixed.

Here's one I took earlier illustrating why it bounced several times on the way down the 30ft shaft.
i-r68rd3m-S.jpg

When I climbed down to the X30, the battery had been ejected, the screen was hanging off and everything was covered in mud.
Having got it home there is also a ding in the lens cap, big scratches on the eyepiece, a cracked base plate and the front right covering no longer sits flush at the top.
I removed the worst of the mud and popped the battery back in - it was as dead as a Dodo.

However, I managed to fit the screen back onto the hinges and gave everything a good clean.
Much to my astonishment it fired up!
There are no alarming gritty noises when zooming which would indicate a sheared gear.
I took a shot and the AF and IS seem OK.
Astonishing!
Unfortunately it is no longer in pristine condition - the battery door has to be prised open with a pin due to the cracked base plate and the screen won't lie flush on the body due to bent hinges, but I can live with these problems.
I know the X## cameras are tough little beasts, but I never expected my X30 to survive this level of abuse!

Haha! That is amazing! And I worried when I dropped mine off a pub table onto some muddy grass...
To be honest mate, having heard your stories I kind of imagined yours would be in that kind of state anyway, all held together with duct tape etc...

If it does finally kick the bucket, would you buy another?

I'd get on to Fuji - their marketing guys would probably love your stories.

If it does finally kick the bucket, would you buy another?
I've had plenty of time to think about that this afternoon...

The X30 does so much right and suits my needs so well that I suspect that finding an alternative would not be easy.
Also, the X30 has dropped so much in price compared to when it first came out that it would be VERY tempting to get a straight replacement.

Also, since I got my X30 I've started caving and a significant part of my photography is now underground.
A waterproof camera would allow me to carry it conveniently in my pocket instead of in a watertight barrel in a bag on my back.
I'd hoped my GoPro would be up to the job, but the lack of IS means it really isn't.
Quite a few cavers use an Olympus Tough TG-4 and are getting great results - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6000322829/olympus-tough-tg-4-review
This is very temping, but most of my underground X30 images have been at ISO 800-3200 and roughly 1/5s; the TG-4 image quality is relatively poor at high ISO and using a longer shutter speed isn't really an option.
Unfortunately, the TG-4 doesn't quite do what I need.

I looked at tough cameras before the x30 and didnt find anything I liked or could afford. How would the gopro fare with something like an ultrapod? They are pretty small, though not sure if they're small enough for caving...

You certainly believe in putting your camera through it Duncan.
I think someone on TP described it as accelerated testing.
My X30 (and X10 before it) may go in harms way, but I've always looked after them.
This is the first visible damage or scratching either X## has been inflicted with.
Very annoying.

Dunno about that - bit of a high risk strategy as I might kill the camera in what I call 'normal' use.

I looked at tough cameras before the x30 and didnt find anything I liked or could afford. How would the gopro fare with something like an ultrapod? They are pretty small, though not sure if they're small enough for caving...
The Ultrapod would probably do a good job as long as I could work out how to do a timed release. Technology and I usually get along fine, but doing anything non-standard with the GoPro can be really frustrating!
A lot of camera shake comes from pressing the shutter button. I use 5fps burst mode and the first and last images are often unusable. I'm not sure how effective the Ultrapod would be with me squeezing the shutter button; probably better than hand-held, but...
Also - there never seems to be a rock in the right place when you need a camera support :)

Well that's great aint it, you have @DuncanDisorderly taking his camera adventuring and getting it bashed and smashed, and it still works. Then you have most of us who barely touch our cameras and they fail :(

@DuncanDisorderly glad your camera still works, and good to see you are still adventuring ;)

Last edited:
Very nice, it shows that the X10 is still a very capable camera.

Took my X10 out this morning, did not manage to get anything. Will probably get it back out over the Xmas.

Back