The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

I've got Cordweaver wrist straps on my X30 and RX10; my favourite being the Cordy Cat in Woodland Camo.

I have a Gordy wrist strap on my X10 and it's perfect, just the right length (although I did spend a week or so at the start kneading the leather to soften it, while watching tele in the evenings). I later got a Cordy wrist strap for a film camera. I liked the strap material and build, but it was annoyingly long. The film camera swung much too much, whereas the X10 just sits below my hand, or I can easily turn it back and hold the camera, knowing it's safe if I should let go.

we went out for a walk a few days back when it was really cold and took a few photos

A couple of ice photos

fuji_sample1.jpg

fuji_sample2.jpg

A photo Katie took

fuji_sample3.jpg

Just got myself a nice case for my X30 off amazon - really nice quality and looks great

(Sorry photos from phone)

Not bad for £10.99 :)

case%201.jpg

case%202.jpg

How is your case holding up John? I've been round the houses searching for the ideal one, but yours can't be beaten for value for money!

AL

How is your case holding up John? I've been round the houses searching for the ideal one, but yours can't be beaten for value for money!

AL

It's very good .... Still really impressed with it and the strap is ideal length for me to swing camera around my side so its out the way and protected. I only use the whole case to store it and travel to location then just leave top part in car. Find that works for me

8740-1413709764-9b7d7e3615386dfb3c9701a9ddfe732e.jpg

The neck / wrist strap I made out of a bootlace, is still going strong. It compliments my X10 perfectly, and all for tuppence. I would not spend money needlessly ;)

Still to replace my XF1 (no prizes for guessing why) and now seriously thinking that a X30 is the answer going by the recent posts on here and the fall in it's price. Sony RX100 and the Pan LX7 are in contention too. Think it's the whole 'once bitten, twice shy' thing at work here though.

I was torn between the x30 and rx100. Having tried the Sony and lived with the Sony, i'm still none the wiser. The x30 is fantastic, but the rx100 is much smaller with the larger sensor.
The viewfinder was the decider for me, I didnt think I could live without it. After some time though, i've found myself shooting in "tourist mode" more often than not.
I'm definitely a fuji fan now, and am looking at the x-t10.

I've just bought an Olympus Tough TG-4.
But it's not a replacement for the X30, but should mean my X30 no longer needs to be dropped down mineshafts or bounced down stream beds in a padded barrel.
First trip is now complete and the sensor is decidedly last years model compared to the X30 (or even X10), but it does the job and should be fairly indestructable!
I really need the TG-4 case with the X30 sensor in it, but it doesn't exist.......

But it's not a replacement for the X30, but should mean my X30 no longer needs to be dropped down mineshafts or bounced down stream beds in a padded barrel.
First trip is now complete and the sensor is decidedly last years model compared to the X30 (or even X10), but it does the job and should be fairly indestructable!
I really need the TG-4 case with the X30 sensor in it, but it doesn't exist.......

Ohhhh this doesn't seem right to me....

You are like the X30 champion, the cheerleader and all good things X30 and what we all aspire to be able to produce on the small remarkable camera.....and you're jumped ship :eek:

Ohhhh this doesn't seem right to me....

You are like the X30 champion, the cheerleader and all good things X30 and what we all aspire to be able to produce on the small remarkable camera.....and you're jumped ship :eek:
It not as bad as that!!!
The TG-4 can be carried in my over suit pocket and can grab shots using light from my helmet without having to unpack the barrel. Means I can get fairly candid shots in the more gnarly parts of cave trips. I'm calling this my ultra-light caving camera gear.
The X30 is a WAY better camera, so it's going to be used for everything other than on-the-fly caving. The X30 has a big advantage of off-camera flash, so it will still be part of my lightweight camera gear, just a single Darren Barrel containing LED video lights, a flash and the X30. So you will still see caving pics from the X30.
If Fuji produced a rugged compact camera based on the X30, XF2, etc, then I'd be at the front of the queue to get one!

It not as bad as that!!!
The TG-4 can be carried in my over suit pocket and can grab shots using light from my helmet without having to unpack the barrel. Means I can get fairly candid shots in the more gnarly parts of cave trips. I'm calling this my ultra-light caving camera gear.
The X30 is a WAY better camera, so it's going to be used for everything other than on-the-fly caving. The X30 has a big advantage of off-camera flash, so it will still be part of my lightweight camera gear, just a single Darren Barrel containing LED video lights, a flash and the X30. So you will still see caving pics from the X30.
If Fuji produced a rugged compact camera based on the X30, XF2, etc, then I'd be at the front of the queue to get one!

That's OK then - thought we had seen the last of your X30 caving photos - still would be great to see the caving photos from the TG-4 to (y)

Still to replace my XF1 (no prizes for guessing why) and now seriously thinking that a X30 is the answer going by the recent posts on here and the fall in it's price. Sony RX100 and the Pan LX7 are in contention too. Think it's the whole 'once bitten, twice shy' thing at work here though.
Not got anything to replace my XF1 yet either, so still just using the X10 even though it is a little bulky in the pocket :)

My XFs are still working but when they do die (fairly inevitable, apparently!), I'll be looking for something as pocketable as they are since the X30 is way too bulky for a shirt pocket and even makes a jacket pocket bulge too much.

SHOULD be fairly indestructible... I used to have it's older cousin until it decided to be destructed! Well, it died and was damp inside. Shortly after the warranty expired. Olympus simply didn't want to know so fuggem, I'll never have another nor recommend anyone buys one. It's replacement here was a Canon D10 which is still waterproof several years later and so is the Nikon 1AW. TBH, I would probably have gone for the cheap Nikon tough camera at about a third of the price of the Oly and treat it as almost disposable.

SHOULD be fairly indestructible... I used to have it's older cousin until it decided to be destructed! Well, it died and was damp inside. Shortly after the warranty expired. Olympus simply didn't want to know so fuggem, I'll never have another nor recommend anyone buys one. It's replacement here was a Canon D10 which is still waterproof several years later and so is the Nikon 1AW. TBH, I would probably have gone for the cheap Nikon tough camera at about a third of the price of the Oly and treat it as almost disposable.
The Olympus does RAW, nice bright f2.0 lens, and although the high ISO is rubbish compared to the X30 it's still pretty good compared to its direct competitors - it's worth the money.

Regards internal moisture - they all do it - it's a problem even with GoPro's.
The seals not only have to be well designed, they also have to be meticulously maintained. My caving light mandates that every time the case is opened the o-ring is removed, cleaned and lubricated with silicon grease. The case has to be opened to charge the batteries! Admittedly my light is rated to 250m underwater and the robust design means that in normal use it isn't much of an issue - but the same thing is very relevant to all 'waterproof' lights, cases and cameras - especially where the seals are sufficiently poor as to only allow shallow submersion.
The most effective solution is that between use to open the case as much as is practical and leave in the airing cupboard. I do this with my GoPro, and will be doing exactly the same with my TG-4.
When the X30 has been out in the rain (or underground) it gets the same treatment :)

Edited to add: For your amusement, here's what the specification of a high end caving lamp looks like.
And before you all go WTF at the price - this is VERY reasonably priced for a lamp like this :)
http://www.phaethoncavinglight.com/phaethon.html

Last edited:
The Olympus does RAW, nice bright f2.0 lens, and although the high ISO is rubbish compared to the X30 it's still pretty good compared to its direct competitors - it's worth the money.

The seals not only have to be well designed, they also have to be meticulously maintained. My caving light mandates that every time the case is opened the o-ring is removed, cleaned and lubricated with silicon grease. The case has to be opened to charge the batteries! Admittedly my light is rated to 250m underwater and the robust design means that in normal use it isn't much of an issue - but the same thing is very relevant to all 'waterproof' lights, cases and cameras - especially where the seals are sufficiently poor as to only allow shallow submersion.
The most effective solution is that between use to open the case as much as is practical and leave in the airing cupboard. I do this with my GoPro, and will be doing exactly the same with my TG-4.
When the X30 has been out in the rain (or underground) it gets the same treatment :)

Edited to add: For your amusement, here's what the specification of a high end caving lamp looks like.
And before you all go WTF at the price - this is VERY reasonably priced for a lamp like this :)

That is pricey - BUT I think a good light down there is life or death so worth the money

Yup, seals were given a light wipe of silicone grease every time a card was changed or the battery was charged as well as checking the integrity of the seal. Only ever taken down to snorkelling depths. Never been a problem with previous W/P cameras including a couple of film ones which needed the door opening every 40 shots (APS).

Seen those Phaethon lights in a diving shop while on holiday - overkill for my needs but as John says, your requirements are a little more critical than mine!

PS How the heck do you do multiple quotes?! :)

I hit the quote button on the first post, write something, then scroll back and hit the quote button again on the second post, then write some more. I ignore the +Quote button! Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but it seems to.

Thanks Chris. I tried the + Quote button too, but didn't seem to work for me either.

AL

I hit the quote button on the first post, write something, then scroll back and hit the quote button again on the second post, then write some more. I ignore the +Quote button! Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but it seems to.

Thanks Chris. I tried the + Quote button too, but didn't seem to work for me either.

AL

+ Quote , + Quote , Insert quotes , Quote these messages , job done.

AL

+ Quote , + Quote , Insert quotes , Quote these messages , job done.

Yep - that works :)

Thanks,
AL

Changing the subject, can anyone tell me how to set my X10 to do an exposure of the order of 5 seconds? I seem to be stuck at around 1/4 second max!

If it's anything like the x30, it's limited depending on your iso/aperture settings. The only way to get all the way to 30sec is to drop iso to 100 and I think narrow the aperture a little. I didn't find that out until after I got it, and it's the only thing I dont like about it.

Changing the subject, can anyone tell me how to set my X10 to do an exposure of the order of 5 seconds? I seem to be stuck at around 1/4 second max!
I have tried doing long exposures on my X10, got fed up with it all after a while, no longer bother trying to do it. If anyone has managed to get good long exposures, I too would be happy to learn how to best achieve it :)

If it's anything like the x30, it's limited depending on your iso/aperture settings. The only way to get all the way to 30sec is to drop iso to 100 and I think narrow the aperture a little. I didn't find that out until after I got it, and it's the only thing I dont like about it.

I had ISO 100, and dropped the aperture down to f/11, and still only got 1/4 seconds! :(

I have tried doing long exposures on my X10, got fed up with it all after a while, no longer bother trying to do it. If anyone has managed to get good long exposures, I too would be happy to learn how to best achieve it :)

This is not for the usual long exposure suspects. I'm needing to learn a bit about intentional camera movement (for a challenge later this year), which eventually will be on a 35mm film SLR. I figured using my digital camera would be good preparatory work (film and processing are not cheap and there's a long delay before seeing what you've got). The X10 IS my digital camera, so I was hoping to use that...

This is not for the usual long exposure suspects. I'm needing to learn a bit about intentional camera movement (for a challenge later this year), which eventually will be on a 35mm film SLR. I figured using my digital camera would be good preparatory work (film and processing are not cheap and there's a long delay before seeing what you've got). The X10 IS my digital camera, so I was hoping to use that...

Oh I see, hope you manage to learn how to do it :)

Oh I see, hope you manage to learn how to do it :)

Finally worked out that on the X10 not only does the ISO have to be set to 100 (for a shutter time up to 30 seconds), but also the DR setting to 100% rather than 400% as I normally have it. I can now take 5 second exposures! They are of course rubbish, but that's the point...

Hah! Good catch. God knows why fuji has done this, must be a good reason though. Annoys me at the other end too, in bright sunlight at f2.8 and they tell me I need to stop down before I can go faster than 1\1000th...

Hah! Good catch. God knows why fuji has done this, must be a good reason though. Annoys me at the other end too, in bright sunlight at f2.8 and they tell me I need to stop down before I can go faster than 1\1000th...
I also found that strange shooting in bright sunlight also, but as you say, must be a reason for this..

Back