The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

There doesn't seem to be a decent neutral density filter for 40mm thread, so I've ordered a 40-49 step up ring from SRB, plus a 4-stop ND. I've got a 3 stop as well, so that should enable me to get decent shutter speeds for the task in daylight.

Loved it on my X20 but didn't like the X30 version straight away as I felt it wasn't long enough for my stubby paws. I've got used to it now and the only problem is that it need to be removed to fit an external flash.

Anyone tried the Lensmate thumb rest?

AL

Yes, I have it on mine. Works well for me. I had their version on my X100, too.

GR-774.png

More pics here.

Anyone tempted by the X70?
I'm not. I'm glad they've finally stuck an apsc in a compact, but the main addition of a touchscreen is a bit "meh"...
The fixed lens is a bit of a drawback for me, and takes away from the flexibility of the series.
If I wanted an apsc fixed lens i'd go for the x100 range.

Cheers guys for your opinion on the X70. I had given the XF1 to my parents and was look at another option. A built in EVF would have been great. I mainly used the XF1 at 25/35 and wanted something small to carry with me.

Cheers guys for your opinion on the X70. I had given the XF1 to my parents and was look at another option. A built in EVF would have been great. I mainly used the XF1 at 25/35 and wanted something small to carry with me.

I think I would buy a Canon G7X over an X70. I've been thinking about it for a while as a carry anywhere pocket camera.

AL

Last edited:
@Al1944 the G7X and RX100 were all on the shortlist along with the X30. The X70 sensor was what made me pay attention but the others seem better carry anywhere pocket cameras.

I thought it was bonkers they didn't include an EVF. Totally writes the X70 off for me! I want a larger sensor version of the X30, me!

BTW, on the X30 what happens to the view through the EVF when you have a longish exposure? Does it completely black out, like the screen on my X10 does? I think with one of the Sonys (A6000?) you can see the image building up through the exposure; that would be very cool!

I ask because I'm trying this intentional camera movement stuff, so long exposure pans are on the agenda. The OVF is very useful for that, except of course it has no focus confirmation info, or gridlines etc.

BTW, on the X30 what happens to the view through the EVF when you have a longish exposure? Does it completely black out, like the screen on my X10 does? I think with one of the Sonys (A6000?) you can see the image building up through the exposure; that would be very cool!.
I think you mean Olympus - it has a Live Composite scene mode.
I've been playing with it to see if it is of any use, or whether it is just a sales gimmick like in-camera HDR (horrible artefacts).
The short answer is that it is superb!

I hadn't posted anything here on TP about my testing because although it is fantastic for cave photography, I was struggling to think of more mainstream uses.
Here's a link containing the results of my experiments.
http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19748.0

Thanks Duncan, I was scratching my memory there! I'm guessing then that the X30 EVF blacks out during the shot (and presumably for a period afterwards... at least my X10 rear screen blacks out for nearly as long again as the processing is finished).

Thanks Duncan, I was scratching my memory there! I'm guessing then that the X30 EVF blacks out during the shot (and presumably for a period afterwards... at least my X10 rear screen blacks out for nearly as long again as the processing is finished).
That second blackout period is also present on DSLRs.
They take a second shot with the shutter closed of the same duration, then subtracts the two shots; it removes any persistent noise present in the sensor.
Most DSLRs allow it to be turned off, but I don't think I've seen that option on the little X cameras.

So an X20 might be ideal for what I'm trying for... focus confirmation etc in the OVF, and the ability to continue to track the subject through the exposure... hmm, my sister has one of those!

Not at all... No viewfinder And I don't like touch screens. I have no Idea who it might be aimed at but it is not me.

Just what I thought when I read up about it, no viewfinder is a big step backwards and what's all the fuss about touchscreens. I read loads of reviews on the Nikon D750 that said they wished it had touchscreen.....:confused:

I thought it was bonkers they didn't include an EVF. Totally writes the X70 off for me! I want a larger sensor version of the X30, me!

Same here. Got very excited seeing the first pics before I noticed the omission.

The problem with a larger sensor is larger equivalent lenses. The x30 has the right compromise for me.

The problem with a larger sensor is larger equivalent lenses. The x30 has the right compromise for me.

I always think of my full frame, fixed lovely sharp 35mm f/2.8 lens camera that's roughly 1" x 2" x 4" as a point of reference (there's a zoom lens version of very similar size, slightly slower lens and not so good, IIRC). AKA Oympus mju II (Stylus Epic in the US, I think).

I guess though, I'm think of something like a LX100 done properly by Fuji ;) !

I am still plodding along with my X10, took it out with me this morning. Tried to get some interesting photos while walking, does not seem to work well out on the street. I get some lovely indoor photos though. I have been using a very old bog standard Canon ixus, and that gives better results with photos on the street, than the X10.

I always think of my full frame, fixed lovely sharp 35mm f/2.8 lens camera that's roughly 1" x 2" x 4" as a point of reference (there's a zoom lens version of very similar size, slightly slower lens and not so good, IIRC). AKA Oympus mju II (Stylus Epic in the US, I think).

I guess though, I'm think of something like a LX100 done properly by Fuji ;) !

A single focal length lens is easy to make small. A four times Zoom zoom with the equivalent of 28 -112 with F2 to 2.8 is quite a different prospect.
I like the aperture and zoom range on the X30 That on the LX100 at 24-75 and F3.7 to F6.2 is rubbish for me.
I prefer to compromise on the smaller but excellent 2/3 sensor and more usable lens characteristics.
This sort of quality is all I need these days

TA3X3261C-TA3X3262C-1_1.jpg~original

Last edited:
I am still plodding along with my X10, took it out with me this morning. Tried to get some interesting photos while walking, does not seem to work well out on the street. I get some lovely indoor photos though. I have been using a very old bog standard Canon ixus, and that gives better results with photos on the street, than the X10.
I think its all down to personal preferences and how you use the camera. I find it a superb camera for street photography. Unobtrusive yet with a fast enough lens to handle difficult lighting.

Some cracking shots here taken using an X10.

I think its all down to personal preferences and how you use the camera. I find it a superb camera for street photography. Unobtrusive yet with a fast enough lens to handle difficult lighting.

Some cracking shots here taken using an X10.
Most of them are in B/W though, as most people do seem to take B/W photos on the street with the X10. The Adv programme mode with the four photos blended together seems to produce better looking photos. Just can't seem to get good looking colour photos on the street, in A / S modes. As I say, my very old ixus produces better looking photos for some reason, maybe it is just me then?

Wonder if it is worth tweaking Sharpness / Highlight Tone / Shadow Tone ? :thinking:

Last edited:
FWIW I set and forget the highlight and shadow tones to -2 for both to get the best dynamic range out of the pics. I think I kept sharpness at default and noise reduction was knocked down by 1 notch as it was a tad aggressive.
For colours in the street, I find classic chrome works wonders for that vintage feel, other than that I stick to provia. Velvia is too much for my taste, and the pro-negs are too subtle for my heathen eyes.

FWIW I set and forget the highlight and shadow tones to -2 for both to get the best dynamic range out of the pics. I think I kept sharpness at default and noise reduction was knocked down by 1 notch as it was a tad aggressive.
For colours in the street, I find classic chrome works wonders for that vintage feel, other than that I stick to provia. Velvia is too much for my taste, and the pro-negs are too subtle for my heathen eyes.

What + 2 HARD ? Don't think there is a Classic Chrome fro the X10

In the process of upgrading to an xt10. What's the going rate for an x30 in good condition with hood/filter kit?

In the process of upgrading to an xt10. What's the going rate for an x30 in good condition with hood/filter kit?

They do not often come up on ebay with the hood and filter But cameras in near mint condition usually cost £210 and up.
x20's can be found as low as £150 and x10's as low as £100

But it is suprisingly they all can sell for not far off equal prices depending on luck.

Back