The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Been dabbling with RAW on the X10 I know most say shooting in J pegs is good enough on the likes of the X10. But there are times when I want to bring out shadowed areas. Been trying with the supplied Silkypix that came with the X10, just can't seem to find out how to do it. Been searching on the net, and I can't seem to find anything on it. Just wondered if anybody on here uses Silkypix for this ? Mainly for photos when I am in the park, or street scenes. Not always possible to dodge those shadows :)

I'm with you, as great as the jpgs are I still can't ditch raw alltogether. I didn't get on with silkypix AT ALL. I just use lightroom, but people seem to like iridient or capture one, I havent tried them yet.

I have spells when I ditch RAW and just use jpegs but I remain uncomfortable about just shooting jpeg only. The jpegs from the X10 are lovely but I do frequently want to tweak them and not having the RAW file is an annoyance.

I just couldn't get on with Silkypix. Very cumbersome. I continue to persevere with Lightroom but it's not ideal.

I'm with you, as great as the jpgs are I still can't ditch raw alltogether. I didn't get on with silkypix AT ALL. I just use lightroom, but people seem to like iridient or capture one, I havent tried them yet.
I have spells when I ditch RAW and just use jpegs but I remain uncomfortable about just shooting jpeg only. The jpegs from the X10 are lovely but I do frequently want to tweak them and not having the RAW file is an annoyance.

I just couldn't get on with Silkypix. Very cumbersome. I continue to persevere with Lightroom but it's not ideal.

Most of the time I do leave the X10 on the Jpeg setting and that is OK. But a few times I want to use RAW if I know I am going to be doing photos where there are a lot of shadows, or photos of the children. Nice to know I can bring out the shadows, or tweak skin tones without damaging the quality. Just can't figure out how to bring out the shadow areas using Silkypix :thinking:

Use my X10 around Tower Bridge a few weeks ago, it was freezing and didn't have time to mess about with bracketing, so I just set it to Night (tripod). Quite pleased with the detail captured, especially as there is quite a high contrast.

Tower Bridge by nigelwilliams2001, on Flickr

Tower Bridge by nigelwilliams2001, on Flickr

What I like about the X30 is that the artificial horizon is visible through the viewfinder... :p:p:p

So over the last month or so, i've sold my old 1100d, with a few lenses, most importantly my 70-200 F4l. This was my go to lens for years.
When I got the x30 I did miss the reach, but loved the size and useability. The colours and quality from such a small package were amazing, and quite often found myself putting the dslr back in the bag in favour of the fuji.
However, over time the lack of reach and the strange shutter speed limitations (at both ends of the scale) made me start looking elsewhere.

Hello Mr X-T10.

The morning it arrived I started the daunting task of customisation. At first, it just didnt feel right, it felt awkward, nothing like the x30. After a couple of days, and some tweeking with the x30 side by side, everything has clicked. It's like an x30 on steroids, and I love it.
I only have the 18-55 at the moment, but as kit lenses go, this is phenomenal! It isn't quite as wide, or as long, but the extra resolution allows cropping to equal the reach if not more.
ISO performance is far superior to my old 1100d, combined with the faster lens and class leading IS i've gained about 4-5 stops over the Canon and maybe 1-2 over the x30.

The predicament now though, is in order to get the 55-200, I need to sell the x30. But I just don't want to! I'll miss the ability to just shove it in my coat pocket or the side pocket of a rucksack.
Maybe I could sell a kidney or something instead....

I've been resisting the temptation for a long time as I know I would end up with a bag full of lenses etc and a severe dose of GAS! That's why I ended up with my X30 :)

AL

I know, me too... Now i'm looking at the 55-200, 12mm samyang, nissin i40, and a bag to put it all in! :-o

Just got back from the park with the X10, freezing out and while the metal body is lovely, bloomin cold on the fingers :)

OK, first gripe about the x-t10 - no in camera charging. Just got to the science museum to find I have no battery in the camera. Grumpy now.

I've been resisting the temptation for a long time as I know I would end up with a bag full of lenses etc and a severe dose of GAS! That's why I ended up with my X30 :)

AL
I know, me too... Now i'm looking at the 55-200, 12mm samyang, nissin i40, and a bag to put it all in! :-o

I might treat myself to a budget DSLR and one prime though! Maybe a Nikon D3300 and 35mm or 50mm. ;)

Can someone tell me how to check which firmware I have (X30). Tried the 'hold Disp button and turn on' but didn't work.

Thanks,
Al

It worked for me and told me I had v1.02. You do need an SD card in the slot for it to work.

Thanks for that. Had to format the card in camera, then it worked. It's v1.01 and I think they are up to v1.03 now so I'll have to check if it's worth updating.

AL

If the camera (X30 in my case) powers off after 2 minutes (as I have set it) is it OK to leave it like that permanently and just press the release button halfway to wake it up rather than having to switch it on and off the normal way?

AL

If the camera (X30 in my case) powers off after 2 minutes (as I have set it) is it OK to leave it like that permanently and just press the release button halfway to wake it up rather than having to switch it on and off the normal way?

AL

Don't see why not. I often leave mine in that position on the tripod. If you pull the card out it will auto switch-off too. I then just insert the card and press the shutter button to wake it up. No problem with it at all.

Hi folks, I've had my X10 for around 3 years now, but my grandson for just under a year! He's now got to the point where he's moving about quite a bit. He likes to walk with an adult holding both his hands, and is immensely proud of himself for doing it. I just can't work out a focus mode that will cope, even though he's not very quick yet. If I focus and then press the shutter, there seems to be about a second between focus confirmation and shutter sound, and generally an oof shot!

I normally use AF-S, and recently I've been using face recognition, which seems to work quite well when he is still. Yesterday I tried AF-C and it didn't seem any better. These are mostly early evening shots, artificial light etc, if that's an issue.

I don't want to buy a DSLR (I have a number of film SLRs for "serious" photography). but at a push I might upgrade to a X30 or perhaps a XE2/18-55 (XT1 would be nice but it's still silly prices...)

Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi folks, I've had my X10 for around 3 years now, but my grandson for just under a year! He's now got to the point where he's moving about quite a bit. He likes to walk with an adult holding both his hands, and is immensely proud of himself for doing it. I just can't work out a focus mode that will cope, even though he's not very quick yet. If I focus and then press the shutter, there seems to be about a second between focus confirmation and shutter sound, and generally an oof shot!

I normally use AF-S, and recently I've been using face recognition, which seems to work quite well when he is still. Yesterday I tried AF-C and it didn't seem any better. These are mostly early evening shots, artificial light etc, if that's an issue.

I don't want to buy a DSLR (I have a number of film SLRs for "serious" photography). but at a push I might upgrade to a X30 or perhaps a XE2/18-55 (XT1 would be nice but it's still silly prices...)

Any suggestions? Thanks
Have you tried using the Sports mode - under SP settings? That's designed for dealing with fast moving objects. Or try using burst mode to take multiple shots very quickly in the hope that something will be in focus.

Any P&S or mirrorless camera will not have the AF speed and accuracy of a DSLR.

Last edited:
Have you tried using the Sports mode - under SP settings? That's designed for dealing with fast moving objects. Or try using burst mode to take multiple shots very quickly in the hope that something will be in focus.

Any P&S or mirrorless camera will not have the AF speed and accuracy of a DSLR.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that mode.

Are you taking the shot, or doing it remotely? Try manual focus. If af-c is struggling in that situation, it's very likely due to poor light than any speed settings. All sports mode will do is pump iso to use faster shutter.

Are you taking the shot, or doing it remotely? Try manual focus. If af-c is struggling in that situation, it's very likely due to poor light than any speed settings. All sports mode will do is pump iso to use faster shutter.

No, taking it myself. I guess poor light is the likely culprit. I'm going to have to think smarter. I'd use manual focus on a film camera (since that's all I have), but it's a royal pain on cameras like the X10, fiddling about with the back controls! :(

No, taking it myself. I guess poor light is the likely culprit. I'm going to have to think smarter. I'd use manual focus on a film camera (since that's all I have), but it's a royal pain on cameras like the X10, fiddling about with the back controls! :(
Simple trick...
Use AF on something about the right distance, then flick the switch into manual focus.
This works fine until you change the zoom, after which you will need to re-focus.

Oh... And MF on the X30 is significantly improved.
The twist dial on the lens changes focus, and peak detection lets you see what is sharp - no need for frustrating controls on the back of the camera and is a joy to use.

Last edited:
I can’t remember if this works on the X10 or not, but in the same vain as Duncan’s tip. The camera set to manual focus, press the AEL/AFL button on the back of the camera and the camera will focus. As with back focus on an SLR.

I wanted something I could roll up and store in the bag without taking up too much room. Have ordered the one I linked to now.

Thanks,
AL

Simple trick...
Use AF on something about the right distance, then flick the switch into manual focus.
This works fine until you change the zoom, after which you will need to re-focus.
I can’t remember if this works on the X10 or not, but in the same vain as Duncan’s tip. The camera set to manual focus, press the AEL/AFL button on the back of the camera and the camera will focus. As with back focus on an SLR.

Thanks both. Space in my son's house is a bit restricted, but I'm getting slightly better results by positioning myself so as to see him coming round the corner; there's a little pause as his grown-up support system negotiates the corner just behind him. Sadly we're leaving tomorrow morning so not much more practice; by the time we see him again he'll probably be not walking but running, and then I really will be out of the game!

Back