The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Given the x70 is fixed focal length, and Fuji have poo-pooed and x40, it's just occurred to me that the x30 might be the last on the manual zoom compacts.
Can anyone think of any others?
Much as I like the image quality of my LX100, I miss the manual zoom of my XF1.

DSCF4639.JPG DSCF4640.JPG The X-30 is the best camera!!!

Well, it was the best camera earlier this evening when we spotted a kingfisher flitting about over the harbour down here in Agia Gallini (South Crete) and it landed on a boat's mooring warp about 15' away from us. Missed it perching but caught it as it flew off.

Full frame.

DSCF4639.JPG

Cropped in.

DSCF4640.JPG

Given the x70 is fixed focal length, and Fuji have poo-pooed and x40, it's just occurred to me that the x30 might be the last on the manual zoom compacts.
Can anyone think of any others?
Much as I like the image quality of my LX100, I miss the manual zoom of my XF1.

Totally agree. Manual zooms on compacts are great.

Totally agree. Manual zooms on compacts are great.
Seems strange there aren't any (current models) then!
As the compact market declines you'd think they'd try to exploit any premium niche they could find. I guess volumes are just too low now :(

Who uses a hood or just a filter on their x10/20/30?

I have a hood that fits a SRB 49 mm adapter. But in practice I never use the hood, but I do leave the adapter in place, as it acts as a wide angle hood and gives some physical protection to the lens surface. It also takes a more convenient pinch clip lens cap. which is attached to the camera strap lug by a nylon cord.
I find it convenient too hold the cap in the palm of my hand as I grip the camera. So I can neither drop it, lose it or have it dangle in front of the lens.

I've never been one for filters, but got the filter/hood kit with my x30. After a lot of testing and pixel peeping I found no ill effects from the filter, so used them both, though I only used the hood if I was going out specifically to shoot rather than just sticking the camera in a pocket, since it added a bit of extra size.

Who uses a hood or just a filter on their x10/20/30?

I just use a Marumi filter on my X10, never been one for hoods. Never noticed any significant flare with that lens.

If I notice flare when I'm framing etc., I'll just use my left hand as a French flag to shade the front element from direct sunlight.

Sorry bit late on here and so many pages to go through - with such weary eyes!!!!!

Just sold all my DSLR stuff camera, lens etc. and after 'brain aching' research, with a good budget, have decided the Fuji X30 was for me especially from the refurb store with the PAYPAL12 code. Very impressed by the EVF, tilting LCD and performance (in good light). Much better than the X10 I once owned but sold on to one of the lady mods.

So now looking for the usual advice for bag, batteries, thumb grip, soft release if anyone can help - pleeeese.

John

PS OOoops just thought is there a petal lens cover that fits as I had one on the X10?

Last edited:
Bag: Think Tank MirrorlessMover 5
Batteries: ExPro or Chilli Power
Thumb grip: Lensmate - expensive but fits properly
Soft release: (Cheap & nasty eBay effort)
Lens hood: any cap or hood that worked with the X10 will work with the X30 as the lenses are identical
Flash: Nissin i40

Last edited:
Bag: Think Tank MirrorlessMover 5
Batteries: ExPro or Chilli Power
Thumb grip: Lensmate - expensive but fits properly
Soft release: (Cheap & nasty eBay effort)
Lens hood: any cap or hood that worked with the X10 will work with the X30 as the lenses are identical
Flash: Nissin i40

Thank you Jonathan - you have been most helpful.

BW - John

My pleasure. Of course, that's only my opinion and opinions are like ars^H^H^Hbellybuttons - everyone has one. ;)

Do you think the range is dead? Or will we see the x40 with a 1" sensor?

Both of which are APS-C cameras. All the smaller sensored cameras are gone apart from some low-end weather-proofed models.

I'd like to see a manual zoom fixed lens from Fuji in the 1" sensor area. Not sure why, really, as my X10 does everything I need (apart from showing me any info in the OVF) with the 2/3" one!

Sorry bit late on here and so many pages to go through - with such weary eyes!!!!!

Just sold all my DSLR stuff camera, lens etc. and after 'brain aching' research, with a good budget, have decided the Fuji X30 was for me especially from the refurb store with the PAYPAL12 code. Very impressed by the EVF, tilting LCD and performance (in good light). Much better than the X10 I once owned but sold on to one of the lady mods.

So now looking for the usual advice for bag, batteries, thumb grip, soft release if anyone can help - pleeeese.

John

PS OOoops just thought is there a petal lens cover that fits as I had one on the X10?

Hi, John, long time no see/talk!!!

Bag, whatever you used to like for the X10 - the X30's pretty much the same size. I don't bother with a spare battery, just a USB power pack in case I need to top up on the fly. Don't like thumb grips - IMO they just bulk up the camera and make it less compact! Not a fan of soft releases either but am fully aware that both they and the grips are handy for you (and others), I prefer to leave the thread clear for a cable release. I am another petal type cover/cap liker and got another to go on my X30 as well as the X10 one.

Regards to your far better half!

Put a wanted ad on here - someone may have one they would be prepared to sell <cough>

Hi, John, long time no see/talk!!!

Bag, whatever you used to like for the X10 - the X30's pretty much the same size. I don't bother with a spare battery, just a USB power pack in case I need to top up on the fly. Don't like thumb grips - IMO they just bulk up the camera and make it less compact! Not a fan of soft releases either but am fully aware that both they and the grips are handy for you (and others), I prefer to leave the thread clear for a cable release. I am another petal type cover/cap liker and got another to go on my X30 as well as the X10 one.

Regards to your far better half!

So sorry Nod but managed to delete all my 'watched threads' but not sure how anyhow I will PM you.

I haven't spent too much as I had three camera bags none of which were used but about which I had forgotten. One was a Lowepro 100 aw and the camera fits perfectly with wrist, or shoulder strap, spare batteries, memory cards and a few other bits. I did buy a thumb grip recommended by Fuji X30 users but sent it back as I just didn't like it. Bought a soft release which I do like and a couple of Expro batteries. Still waiting for my petal cover but have used before so I know I will like.

So there and thanks to those who offered suggestions.

If anyone is looking for a Fuji lens hood/filter/cap kit I have one in the classifieds.

AL

There's not been much mention of the XQ2 on this thread. I've a X10, which produces really nice results, but my wife doesn't fancy the "complexity" of the design. She's been borrowing my old and rather unsatisfactory Canon IXUS 210, but we've decided that really isn't good enough after using it last week. Main problem is flare; the IXUS gets all washed out, but the X10's cracking lens just deals with the light.

So, is the XQ2 lens any good, in comparison? Any known problems with the camera (a la XF-1 sudden death :eek:)?

An obvious alternative would be a Sony RX100, but there's a XQ2 in the Fuji refurb store for less than half what the Sonys seem to go for (plus a couple on the evil bay looking cheaper still, but only part way through the auction...). I didn't like the handling of the RX100 when I was considering one for myself (and by comparison might have similar problems with the XQ2, since they are the same size and layout), but I have fingers that won't bend properly, a problem my wife doesn't have!

I don't think there've been any major problems with the XQ2. I've got one but don't use it because I really need a viewfinder. I'd grab one of those refurbs while they're still there as I see there are only five left. Don't forget to use the PAYPAL12 code to get a bit more off.

I think it's been archived, but I had a post up in freebies for a free X10 case (may fit later models IDK). It's brown, it's not OEM, but it will protect an X10, and best of all: it's free. Anyone?

I don't think there've been any major problems with the XQ2. I've got one but don't use it because I really need a viewfinder. I'd grab one of those refurbs while they're still there as I see there are only five left. Don't forget to use the PAYPAL12 code to get a bit more off.

While I was havering they went down to 1 black one, then before I knew it, none at all! Looks like there's a fleabayer in Devon who buys them and then resells them for more...

Part of my concern was not having seen any images from them (unlike the XF-1 which had lots of images on this thread, when any were still working!). However, I found this:

https://explorecams.com/photos/model/xq2

... which reassured me, specially compared to

https://explorecams.com/photos/model/canon-ixus-210

Interesting site, that! Anyway, I've asked to be notified if any XQ2 refurbs come in stock.

I would keep checking and not rely on getting a notification. I asked to be notified when X30s came back into stock and wasn't....

IMO even without the viewfinder, the XQ2 is a cracking little camera - especially at that price.
Genuinely "pocketable" as well.
If you like the Fuji set-up, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I would keep checking and not rely on getting a notification. I asked to be notified when X30s came back into stock and wasn't....

You were right, went back and checked and it was in stock, no notification. Now ordered...
IMO even without the viewfinder, the XQ2 is a cracking little camera - especially at that price.
Genuinely "pocketable" as well.
If you like the Fuji set-up, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Excellent. I love my X10, I know it's a different sensor and lens, but I hope it gives reasonably equivalent results. Whole idea is to be pocketable, as well as genuinely point and shoot, for the non-tog members of the family!

You were right, went back and checked and it was in stock, no notification. Now ordered...

... and XQ2 now received and charging. Looks really nice, possibly a bit squarer and less pocketable than I'd imagined, but I'm sure it's very handbag-friendly. A bit annoying that they don't include a charger, having to plug the camera into the wall.

Any suggestions for settings for the XQ2? Particularly Colour, sharpness, highlight and shadow tone, and noise reduction? Also Auto ISO and DR settings? Thanks

... and XQ2 now received and charging. Looks really nice, possibly a bit squarer and less pocketable than I'd imagined, but I'm sure it's very handbag-friendly. A bit annoying that they don't include a charger, having to plug the camera into the wall.

Any suggestions for settings for the XQ2? Particularly Colour, sharpness, highlight and shadow tone, and noise reduction? Also Auto ISO and DR settings? Thanks

Colour and sharpness at default, highlight -1, shadow -2, noise reduction -1, auto iso 800 unless you REALLY need the shot, don't worry about Dr - it's too much thought for my liking.

http://lxcellent.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/using-fuji-x-e1-tone-controls.html?m=1

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca.../fuji-x-t1-and-x-t1-graphite-1217506/review/8

The gains in Dr don't seem worth always shooting at higher iso. I'd rather manually bracket if I really needed to, but very rare that a scene which needs it comes along.

Back