The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Thanks @jimmyjamjojo . Went out this afternoon with most of those settings at default, but DR set to DR400 as with my X10. In the end it seemed to perform better with DR set to Auto. I'll adjust to the settings you suggest.

Thanks @jimmyjamjojo . Went out this afternoon with most of those settings at default, but DR set to DR400 as with my X10. In the end it seemed to perform better with DR set to Auto. I'll adjust to the settings you suggest.
I have tried the DR settings on my X10, and I do not seem to be able to see much of a difference. For me, careful tweaking in RAW, gives better results.

At this moment there is 1 black X30 in the Fuji Refurb Shop

Use code P258BTCC467 for 10% off.

Last edited:
Thinking about getting a X10 as a portable travel camera & trying out some street photography when I don't want to carry the 5D around with me, What do people make of the viewfinders on these as I'm not a fan of live view at all, also seen this online with a viewfinder on the hotshoe (link below), what are peoples thoughts?

http://www.yanidel.net/2011/12/01/fuji-x10-the-viewfinder/

Thinking about getting a X10 as a portable travel camera & trying out some street photography when I don't want to carry the 5D around with me, What do people make of the viewfinders on these as I'm not a fan of live view at all, also seen this online with a viewfinder on the hotshoe (link below), what are peoples thoughts?

The viewfinder on the x10 is pretty terrible to be honest. It doesn't give anything away put it that way. If you can stretch, the x20 solves some of the short falls but the x30 is where it's at. What you see is what you get with that camera.

The viewfinder on the X10 is excellent, as far as it goes. It zooms nicely with the lens, so you have a pretty good idea what you're shooting (bit of parallax when close). Much better than nothing in a bright environment. But... as Andrew says, there is NO information in it. None at all. You have to listen for the focus confirmation beep and hope it's focused on what you think it has.

The X20 has the same nice clear optical viewfinder, but with information overlaid. Seems excellent to me. You still get some parallax of course. You can look through the OVF even when the camera is off. With the X20 you have moved away from the EXR sensor to the X-trans sensor... I'm not really sure of the implications of this, but I like the EXR sensor at 6mp for its dynamic range, but hate how terrible the raw is!

When you get to the X30 you're full blown EVF, so no parallax, but also nothing visible when the camera is off.

Not a huge difference price-wise, but the X20 might be a good compromise.

I found the information in the X20's VF hard to see against a pale subject. I also miss the level. The X30 is (despite the lack of any OVF) much better IMO, hence my upgrading to that (and an X10). No problems with the images from the X20 (or indeed any of the baby X series!) but the X30 handles much better (again, IMO).

I find the X30 pretty good. It's small enough and battery life is reasonable enough.
That's something that hadn't been mentioned before in this sub-thread - the battery in the X30 is the same as the X100 so the battery life is significantly better than the X10 & X20.

Last edited:
I really do miss my x30. It's a swings and roundabouts thing for me. I prefer the low light performance and extra resolution of my xt10, but I really miss the ease and pocketability of the x30, not to mention the awesome macro shots it can do.

I never had a problem switching from a dslr ovf to the evf of the fuji. In fact I preferred it's "what you see is what you get" functionality, as well as the handy level.

Nobody should have reservations about buying one, they are awesome!

If you can pick an X10 up, for reasonable money, then they are OK. But don't expect the viewfinder to be of much use, because it is of no use. Does not give you any information, or even what you are focusing on.

2012-06-25%2012.14.jpg
2013-09-11%2012.05.04.jpg
2016-05-08%2013.08.jpg

I've had the privilege of owning all three over the years, still have my X30 which i still enjoy using on a weekly basis, all three will probably be classics in a few years time it's a shame really Fuji decided to end it with the X30 both the X40 & X50 :p could have been something special with a 1" sensor ect.

2012-06-25%2012.14.jpg
2013-09-11%2012.05.04.jpg
2016-05-08%2013.08.jpg

I've had the privilege of owning all three over the years, still have my X30 which i still enjoy using on a weekly basis, all three will probably be classics in a few years time it's a shame really Fuji decided to end it with the X30 both the X40 & X50 :p could have been something special with a 1" sensor ect.

Not too sure about that, as technology in cameras moves quickly. In a few more years, when sensors get even better, and with better video quality. Can't see there being a big following for older stuff, but I just may be wrong.

Not too sure about that, as technology in cameras moves quickly. In a few more years, when sensors get even better, and with better video quality. Can't see there being a big following for older stuff, but I just may be wrong.

Well, there's something unique about these cameras, so there may well be retro appeal (you may note however, that as someone who has no DSLR but more film cameras than he can quite remember at any one time, it would be quite reasonable to dismiss my opinion on grounds of sheer eccentricity ;) ).

The X10 being simplest might have the legs on the others in terms of longevity...

Well, there's something unique about these cameras, so there may well be retro appeal (you may note however, that as someone who has no DSLR but more film cameras than he can quite remember at any one time, it would be quite reasonable to dismiss my opinion on grounds of sheer eccentricity ;) ).

The X10 being simplest might have the legs on the others in terms of longevity...
My old film camera looks just like new, lovely looking camera, but just not used anymore. The X10 is a little clunky and chunky for a compact, but I have to admit I do like it. I do use it more than my DSLR, as it takes up less space.
I don't suppose I will ever get rid of my X10, I will continue to use it, till it gives up. Hope it has many more years left ahead of it.

...it's a shame really Fuji decided to end it with the X30 both the X40 & X50 :p could have been something special with a 1" sensor...

I absolutely agree, and we should say so, loud and proud. Hey Fuji, we'd really like to see something based on the X30 with a larger sensor. If Panasonic can go there with the LX100, you can do even better! (Manual zoom, f'rinstance :) )

I absolutely agree, and we should say so, loud and proud. Hey Fuji, we'd really like to see something based on the X30 with a larger sensor. If Panasonic can go there with the LX100, you can do even better! (Manual zoom, f'rinstance :) )

Totally. I'm trying to source an X30 to replace my LX100 because I dislike the e-zoom.

The only thing I didn't like about the X30 was the on/off switch. A 'normal' switch or button would be my preference. Otherwise a lovely camera.

The on/off method of the X30 is irritating. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that :)

The on/off method of the X30 is irritating. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that :)

It solves a lot of mechanical problems for them, as you supply the force to unfold the lens not a little motor.

Wish the x70 sensor had found its way into the x30 :(
No, you don't really because you haven't thought about it properly. Think about how much bigger an equivalent lens for an APS-C sensor is going to be and how much it would cost.

In my defence, I didn't think about the lens at all. I just wanted a bigger sensor

So much to learn :(

Been a shortage of photos in this section. Are you all forgetting to take your fujis out with you? :) I take mine out most days, just nothing worthy of posting :(.

Not done much with any of my cameras recently. Only a few of the Moon. No lack of mojo or anything like that, just haven't seen much worth getting the cameras out for.

Not done much with any of my cameras recently. Only a few of the Moon. No lack of mojo or anything like that, just haven't seen much worth getting the cameras out for.
Tried some moonshots last night, failed miserably. Was not very adventurous, as I simply stood outside front door. Too much light pollution etc.

Last edited:
We're reasonably lucky here - not too much light pollution to the East or (from the top of the hill) West. Some, if there's rugby at Sandy Park (Exeter Chiefs' floodlights) and some from the city to the South but not usually enough (on a clear night) to bu99er up Moon shots. Baby Xs aren't ideal for Moon shots but could be OK for wider field Astro with their 28mm EFL at f/2.

We're reasonably lucky here - not too much light pollution to the East or (from the top of the hill) West. Some, if there's rugby at Sandy Park (Exeter Chiefs' floodlights) and some from the city to the South but not usually enough (on a clear night) to bu99er up Moon shots. Baby Xs aren't ideal for Moon shots but could be OK for wider field Astro with their 28mm EFL at f/2.
Suppose I should have broken out the DSLR, with the old manual zoom lens, and a tripod. May try again with that setup, when the opportunity pops up again in December :).

If you can pick an X10 up, for reasonable money, then they are OK. But don't expect the viewfinder to be of much use, because it is of no use. Does not give you any information, or even what you are focusing on.

Thanks the reply John & everyone, currently got a Sony A6000 I'm using from a friend who's looking to sell it to me which is tempting, got a Nikon 50mm f/1.2 on the front with a lens reducer to keep it at 50mm and its a beautiful set up! Think the X10 Viewfinder after looking at one in the LCE might not be for me

Been out this morning for a nice walk with the dog, took the X10. Walked along a canal path, only managed to get one photo and one video clip. Got a photo of an archway of a bridge over the canal. Took it in RAW and tried tweaking things. After I finished polishing things in RAW, it still looked boring and dull. So it was definitely not worth posting it up here. I filed it in the Recycle bin.

Back