The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Just purchased an X10, batteries charging up as I speak and hopefully I can give it a good run tomorrow (y).

So dumb question...from a lazy X100 owner. The DR results on here look amazing...I've got DR 100/200/400 on the X100, do they work the same?

Sorry - this is my first Fuji.
Seem to be plenty of X100 owners posting their thought into X10 threads on dpreview, so if you don't mid getting flamed or the thread being hijacked over something irrelevant - then give them a go!

have you noticed any issues with weird blown out hightlights? I noticed that people are raving about it on dpreview, burning fuji logos and getting rid of their x10's, but since there is an above average ratio of image puritans on that site i just wanted a more level headed impression.

This is where overblown highlights seem to appear as white discs on the image. Ive only seen a coulple of examples on there that really show it, the rest just seem to be people who dont know how to set the exposure right in the first place.

I popped back into dpreview last night - strewth!
It's got way out of hand, it's losing touch with reality.
Most people (me included) have had to go looking for the problem, they rarely appear in normal images.
And when they do appear, most of the time the effect does not detract from the image.
Here's an official Fuji sample image which shows the problem (warning - large file). See what I mean ?

It's a shame this whole fiasco is taking place, as the rest of the X10 is remarkably good.

I'm going to defer to the Luminous Landscape X10 First Impressions article. That's a website renowned for taking image quality seriously. They must have read the early posts on dpreview as they were posted well before the LL review was published. But LL have chosen not to mention the subject or even indicate that they went looking to reproduce the problem.
The problem hasn't worried LL - that speaks volumes :)

P.S. I think the last image in the LL review "Urban Clouds. Toronto, November, 2011" could be argued that it exhibits the problem. Does it detract from the image - no. Would you have noticed if you weren't looking for this specific problem - probably not.

Last edited:
Right - some mountain piccies....
No PP on any of these except one image with a light crop (noted against the image).

The X10 has done a cracking job capturing the subtleties in this scene.
i-zd28QBG-L.jpg

Panorama straight out the camera.
i-7Zsq69d-L.jpg

Another 'this is what pocket cameras are for' shot.
i-dJMLzF6-L.jpg

Another lush panorama.
i-QQtk6bw-L.jpg

First hoar frost I've seen this winter (lightly cropped)
i-tsjqRGZ-L.jpg

DR400 and that sky is still blown - however, it's an 'I was there image' that I like and the X10 has done a great job considering the tricky lighting.
i-dCkKQjp-L.jpg

1 2 and 4 there , gobsmakingly lovely. For a flippin compact too.

The whole highlight issue hasnt dampened my spirits for one at all, fingers crossed i can pick up a next to new one on the cheap now :)

1 2 and 4 there , gobsmakingly lovely. For a flippin compact too.

The whole highlight issue hasnt dampened my spirits for one at all, fingers crossed i can pick up a next to new one on the cheap now :)

LOL - pricing did cross my mind.
I bought a Canon 24-105 shortly after the big scare about unacceptable flare. It was a bargain, I reckon they were trying to rekindle interest in the lens. Prices went up several hundred pounds shortly after I got mine.

Cheers for the feedback :)
I'm just back from a sunrise shoot and I reckon I may have taken my best images yet on the X10 - I decided to put aside the fact it is a pocket camera and used it like a DSLR - tripod, manual exposure, manual focus and timer release - watch this space !
(must remember to unpick some of the settings before I use it hand-held)

P.S. While I was taking my shots, another photographer arrived (first I've seen this week).
The look I got when he clocked a compact camera on my tripod was priceless.
When I said waved hello to him he ran away - LOL

I think my new saying is going to have to be "Don't Dis Da Fuji Man"

Cracking shots! Think your saying is dead right. Although... I think it's the nut behind the camera as much as the camera itself, like many things. :)

...This sums up most of today! Taken through the windscreen.
i-vvBBRrd-L.jpg

I recognise that layby... I took THIS from there about 6 weeks ago! :D

Finally got my hands on the X10 earlier this week... I was surprised at how light it was! Unfortunately, my purchase has been put on hold until after Christmas.

Cheers,
Si

I recognise that layby... I took THIS from there about 6 weeks ago! :D

Finally got my hands on the X10 earlier this week... I was surprised at how light it was! Unfortunately, my purchase has been put on hold until after Christmas.
Cheers,
Si

Yup - that's the same layby.
Amazing how much difference a few weeks make; sunset is currently straight down the lake !
I watched sunrise from there this AM - so prepare yourself to see some more layby shots :)

Aaaargh....
Today I flattened a freshly charged battery in well under 200 shots :eek:

A bumper crop today.....
Partly because I finally got a sunrise that did something interesting...
And partly because I 'discovered' Velvia film simulation and the images look kinda WOW!
All previous images posted by me have been using the factory default film type.

First set - Sunrise.

ISO 100, 14.8mm, f2.8, 5s - half an hour before sunrise; it wasn't very warm!
i-Fbc2ctN-L.jpg

Official sunrise - some colour coming into the sky.
i-9jRnLQk-L.jpg

Just to prove the X10 isn't my only camera, here's a shot of the X10!
I'm beginning to think this combo of X10, Manfrotto 055 legs and Manfrotto 410 head is looking less and less silly - it's VERY effective.
i-2ZHcffs-L.jpg

15 mins after sunrise; a nice dramatic sky.
i-337RSmj-L.jpg

Mountains illuminated by a low sun - the rainbow was captured on the other camera; and it's a cracker :)
i-kXzPnds-L.jpg

Driving back for breakfast I turned a corner in Capel Curig and went WOOOOO; lept out the car and captured this!
i-DxPkSLg-L.jpg

How are the Velvia colours looking?
They look a tad too saturated for my taste on the camera screen, but look great on this laptop. But I'm on an uncalibrated laptop screen :shrug:

I'm still loving Super Macro (even if it only works at 28mm)
i-GjMrFjs-L.jpg

ISO 100, 7.1mm, f11, 1s - achieved with a Lee 2-stop ND hand-held over the lens.
This was taken at DR100 (no extra DR) and the water is clipped; I tried DR400 and the water came out loads better but at ISO 400 the exposure was too short to get the effect I wanted.
Anyone know how to fit a Lee filter holder to the X10 so I can stack my filters ?
i-wTjVz82-L.jpg

Velvia seems to make this woodland track look rich and vibrant (on my monitor)
i-7Q7PsBv-L.jpg

Ooo - tree!
i-CDb24bz-L.jpg

Reed bed has been captured very nicely by the X10.
i-2cZN2MQ-L.jpg

No idea why I like this - but I do - a lot !
i-fRTnCkP-L.jpg

It's worth re-iterating that all this set (and the sunrise set) are straight out the camera.

The X10 is continuing to deliver the goods and it is a pleasure to use.
I'm not missing my 5DII as much as I expected :)

Last edited:
Sean Reid has a pretty extensive review on his site about the X10. He seems to like it, but said the optical finder just isn't up to scratch, especially at wider angles.

Sean Reid has a pretty extensive review on his site about the X10. He seems to like it, but said the optical finder just isn't up to scratch, especially at wider angles.

I haven't read that review as it is subscription only :)

Personally, I have found the optical viewfinder fit for purpose - let me explain.
I use the screen most of the time, but there are two cases where the optical viewfinder has been very handy.
1) Photographing waves I found the fractional delay on the screen image significant enough to miss my timing (this is the same with live view on the 5DII). Initially I forgot the OVF was there and was looking over the top of the camera, but as I was hand held my framing kept missing. The OVF completely solved the problem.
2) Strong sunlight - the OVF is definitely much easier to compose the image than the screen in intense sunlight.

The OVF is not a DSLR rival, but it's way better than any similar sized digital camera I've peered through (e.g. G12) and it does the job.

You really are slipping Duncan - I expected better from you :)

LOL - tried and gave up!
Much head bashing isolated to a misunderstanding (bug) between Windows Vista and the cheap and cheerful Intel display driver. Apparently they released a fix in Windows 7. But since this laptop is now 4 years old, has a cracked hinge and the f5 key is missing (cat claw hooked it off and the bits went ping), I can't be bothered upgrading.....
I don't delete any images based on tone or colour - that can wait till I get home and the library is transferred to my 'proper' computer.

I am seriously thinking of getting a x10, it would be thanks to ths thread if I do.

Morning Ed!
Just for balance - the earlier poster was right - there's a real backlash against the X10 at the moment, people posting claiming they are returning their cameras, lots of ranting why won't Fuji do this and why won't Fuji do that - just dip into the Fuji forum on dpreview for a taster.
It's all over the large white blob/orb syndrome.

Never noticed it myself....
But it may mean a significant price drop before too long just to keep sales moving.
Worth keeping a watch on the price trends.

I've been looking for something smaller than a dslr for a long time, this may be an option. Have you ever tried m4/3 cameras and if you have how does the X10 compare?

First post so please be gentle.

I have been directed to this thread from a friend in the trade and would just like to say what an impressive review Duncan has done, it has been a pleasure to read this thread and enjoy the photographs.

First post so please be gentle.

I have been directed to this thread from a friend in the trade and would just like to say what an impressive review Duncan has done, it has been a pleasure to read this thread and enjoy the photographs.

Nice first post (y) Welcome to the forum.

I've been looking for something smaller than a dslr for a long time, this may be an option. Have you ever tried m4/3 cameras and if you have how does the X10 compare?

I'm afraid I haven't...
All the m4/3 cameras that are pocketable have wide angle prime lenses, and I've already got my dream combo - 5DII and 24 TSE II. So I've never looked seriously at m4/3.

But I've always had a pocket camera to supplement my DSLR.
It was the LX3; which was the right size, but was too much of an image quality sacrifice. It was capable of producing great images, with care and with the right subject. But the X10 is proving way better than I ever expected a pocket camera to be. All I have to do now is produce some exhibition quality prints - the acid test.... I'm away at the moment, so getting on the internet is a luxury, never mind a calibrated screen and calibrated printer.

My last full day on the weeks mountain break.
I tried a route that turned out a LOT harder than I planned; I'm knackered!
Two days ago I did the Snowdon Horseshoe - five and a half hours hard mountain walking.
Today was two and a half hours longer and the weather was far worse!
There were times when the hail was pounding on my hood so hard I was going OW even with my hat on underneath the hood!

Time for some piccies.

Contrasty image which would not have worked without the extra DR from the X10. I like the scale provided by the lone photographer (I'll clone out his mates if I ever print this).
i-wSh48XH-L.jpg

I love the layers and tones in this landscape. It conveys nothing of how harsh the gale force winds were battering me or that this was grabbed between heavy 'showers'.
i-sDMntM9-L.jpg

Later in the day I had 45s of sunshine - pouch on the belt worked wonders and I grabbed a few shots before the light went. The gold tone is natural and is how it was, even if it looks a bit contrived.
i-P2k9Khn-L.jpg

Same 45s, time for one quick re-compose and shoot before the light went.
i-nmjmFq3-L.jpg

Really contrasty sky; I'm convinced the 5DII would have struggled, I could have probably recovered this from the RAW, but this is straight out the camera (with a tiny tweak to clarity to show the ridges a bit better).
i-RtTt4tH-L.jpg

Finally, a low light panorama. It was so dark I nearly needed my torch. I took the straight shot of the lake, but this pano is way stronger. Only PP is a 1 stop grad to darken the top of the sky and hold the viewers interest in the frame.
i-sMBvXSj-L.jpg

Fantastic images - beautiful as always, Duncan.
The 45s-light is fantastic on those two shots and I really love the second photo with all the layers and the sense of depth it gives.
This camera really seems to be worth it.
And no orbs in it as well (yes, I admit I was checking some threads on dpreview and also dslr-forum.de - the people there being even more pixel-peeperish) :p

*** with a "v" ;)

PS: and with this I officially "unlurk" myself - first post on the forum

*** with a "v" ;)

PS: and with this I officially "unlurk" myself - first post on the forum

LOL - Welcome Eva :D
As it happens... The climber featured in post 57 is the Ewa I keep getting terribly confused with (*** - Ewa - :shrug:).

I'm enjoying myself as much on this week in Snowdonia as I did in Knoydart with you lot.
This week is a LOT more physical though; I've been up 5 of the 15 highest mountains in Wales - despite the weather......

MODS - why does E V A keep getting her name shown up as stars ?
I know I've led a sheltered life, but I can't begin to imagine why that might be a banned word. Just off to Google to check :thinking:

Oh - I didn't realise that my first name was some sort of heavily guarded secret...
I cannot find anything that I could have missed to tick in my profile - but maybe there is some option that prevents my real name from showing up? Maybe a bible thing ... ;)

BTW - good job Duncan to recognize the *** with a v

And I feel for you regarding the accident with your 5DII... good to see that you've got some sort of replacement with the Fuji.

Oh - I didn't realise that my first name was some sort of heavily guarded secret...
I cannot find anything that I could have missed to tick in my profile - but maybe there is some option that prevents my real name from showing up? Maybe a bible thing ... ;)

BTW - good job Duncan to recognize the *** with a v

And I feel for you regarding the accident with your 5DII... good to see that you've got some sort of replacement with the Fuji.

I've contacted the Forum Mods; it's in their hands now.
Maybe easier to change your name ;)

Having only shot a few test shots I am VERY impressed with my new X10. One thing I would like to add to this thread, more of a heads up really; I have been in contact with Luigi at Leicatime and he is in the process of developing one of his high quality half cases for the X10. Personally, I am eagerly awaiting this case, which I'm sure many others are too!

I know it's an x100 I have not an x10 but I'm off up the highlands tomorrow for a few days so mine will be getting the rare treat of shooting in colour and not at 1600iso. Will be fun to see how it does shooting landscape stuff.

Having only shot a few test shots I am VERY impressed with my new X10. One thing I would like to add to this thread, more of a heads up really; I have been in contact with Luigi at Leicatime and he is in the process of developing one of his high quality half cases for the X10. Personally, I am eagerly awaiting this case, which I'm sure many others are too!

Do keep us posted (y)

The case I'm using is the Lowepro Apex 60 AW.
A nice snug fit and fits perfectly over my belt, or more typically over one of the straps on my backpack. Plus it gives quite a bit of weather and bump protection.

Just don't use his website to order it, talk about a confusing layout! I was going to order one for the M9 and just left it. Good quality product though judging by reports.

Last night was the first time I have resorted to pushing the ISO as far as it will go on the X10.
It was the TP Loonies Pre Christmas Meet and a group shot was called for at the evening meal. Held in the Games Room of at The Skirrid (oldest Public House in Wales).

Lighting was limited to the dartboard and the bar, the fireplace was not well lit but was the best venue.
I tried flash, but because it was so dark the X10 decided to use a lot more than a hint of flash and it killed the mood.
Hence the 'keeper' was taken by one of the barmaids at ISO 3200.

ISO 3200, 7.1mm, f2, 1/15s - the loss of contrast on the right hand side of the black top is almost certainly attributable to moisture on the lens. We'd been photographing as a group for over 12 hours, my camera case was very damp and the lens had got covered in rain many times during the day. Looking at the lens this morning, there is also a smudged finger print on it :)
i-wN5k8r5-L.jpg

A DSLR with a kit lens could not have taken this shot as the shutter speed would have been way too long. A nifty fifty used wide open would still have been a problem as IS would be needed in order to handhold!
Pretty darned good for a pocket camera!

Last edited:
At the TP meet mentioned in the previous post, we had time to kill after sunset and before the Pub was ready for us. So we headed to Llanthony Priory.
Two of us were late getting there as we'd been back up the mountain to photograph the Lunar Eclipse. When we arrived, a group of them were sorting camera kit out in the car par.

They were having a go at Light Painting.
"Oooo - I'm up for that!" I said, to which they responded "What? With the Fuji?".
My standard response in these situation is now getting to be "Don't Dis Da Fuji Man!"....

But realistically I knew it was a big ask for a pocket camera....
Especially once I noticed for the first time that the X10 doesn't have a B mode :eek:

Only available light was a distant security light (orange glow on furthest pillars); apart from that it was pitch black!
There were two sources of painted light, my head torch plus a burst of flash on the right from Stan The Man.

ISO 100, 7.1mm, f2, 30s - manual exposure, self timer release, manual focus.
Yup, those are stars in the sky!
i-vR9W6zB-L.jpg

I discovered one weird feature about Manual Mode - if the ISO is above ISO 100, then the maximum exposure time is limited to 4s.

Also - a few thoughts about Manual Focussing.
Initially I struggled to use manual focussing on the X10; reading the forums I am not alone!
But I've now got a working arrangement that's pretty straightforward.
First - when you turn on the X10 set to MF, the focussing is completely wrong and takes forever to change to a usable distance. Simple trick is to quickly flick the focussing switch to AF-S and back to MF (no need to touch the shutter button). Focus will now be most of the way to infinity and easy to nudge up to infinity.
Secondly, when the zoom changes, the focus changes slightly too and needs re-focussing. This is just like using manual focus on a DSLR. Focus may actually end up beyond infinity and will need bringing back. I nudge the focus ring anti-clockwise until I see the focus position indicator move, then put it back on infinity.
Thirdly, the infinity mark seems bang-on. I no longer bother checking with a 'real' subject. Simply set the focus indicator on infinity and take the shot.

Another image from yesterday's TP meet - this made quite a few people around me take a second look at the X10 !

At sunrise, a shower passed overhead producing an inky black overhead sky and a bright horizon.
The DSLR users around me were really struggling as regardless what they did with their grads, the bright bit was pure flashing overexposure warning.
Not only was the X10 not clipped, but the bright bit has colour in it too!

ISO 400, 18.7mm, f3.6, 1/500s, DR400 - straight out the camera.
i-Lcc8Mvm-L.jpg

I've felt the X10 is capable of producing decent A3 prints, but the acid test is to actually create the prints and get them looked at critically by someone who knows what they are looking at.
So last night I finally got around to printing some images from the X10 at A3, and took them to one of my photobuddies who now rarely uses digital and has gone the large format film route. She does her own printing (B&W plus colour).
So I was very interested in what she would say about the X10 prints.

I deliberately printed some images that were on the edge of acceptability, as well as images I was confident would look good.

ISO 800 landscape (from the Precipice Walk post earlier in this thread, the one I included a 100% crop) looked acceptably noise free, but on close inspection smearing was visible in the out of focus dark foliage. You have to get close enough to sniff the print to spot the problem. That image was taken using factory defaults which are a bit strong and on a recommendation I read elsewhere I changed my settings to a more post-processing friendly. I believe the new settings have sorted the smearing.

DR400 (ISO 400) 12Mp image of a really contrasty sunrise (not the one above, but the same set) straight out the camera looked great, but a little flat for an exhibition print; but it is a perfect start point for post-processing. However, on extremely close inspection the dark tones in the print contained a little noise; probably a result of the new post-processing friendly noise settings I'm using. I didn't try any noise reduction in Lightroom and don't feel the need; the noise is very subtle, looks very film like and looks quite acceptable.

Light Painting at ISO 100, 30s (see a few posts back). I doubt a DLSR would have produced a better print. Even when pixel peeping at 100% the image is pin sharp and noise free, which is even more amazing given that I used LR3 to increase the exposure by 2/3 stop!

Reeds with reflections and forest in the background, ISO 100 (from my Snowdonia set when I 'discovered' Velvia). The tones and detail in the reeds are beautiful. I honestly believe there is nothing a DSLR would be capable of doing to improve this print.

Snowdon Horseshoe panorama from earlier in this thread - the print looks breathtaking. Even printed at A3 I cannot spot any stitching artefacts. If I had managed to take that 180 deg panorama with the DSLR and stitched it together so perfectly then it would have been a lot of effort but I'd have been very happy; the X10 was effortless and I could see the result while still on the mountain! Having seen the quality in the A3 print, I now want to get it printed MUCH bigger!

In summary - yes :D
The X10 is capable of producing exhibition quality A3 prints!
Using factory default JPEG settings A3 prints are superb at ISO 100 and acceptable up to ISO 800.
For best results at ISO 800 the factory noise reduction settings need slightly lowering to make the image more post-processing friendly.

Last edited:
Back