The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

At least you can leave the hood off and just use the adaptor....
The bit of design that seems daft to me, is that the adaptor has holes in it.
The holes allow the viewfinder to work better, but also let light in.
My Kood ND filter is only coated on one side and I suspect light bouncing around the inside of the filter is going to be a problem.

Hmmm - I remembered I had a 52mm R72 IR filter which is pretty extreme.
Quick test out the front door and I couldn't find any evidence of problems with light coming in the adapter holes.
And I can report the X10 is pretty cool at IR !!!!
Some zoom lengths are better than others and it is possible to find a length that completely avoids the IR hotspot and avoid flare artefacts.
LX3 was rubbish at IR - big hotspot in the middle of the image that couldn't be worked around.
5DII with the nifty fifty was also pretty rubbish; it needed huge long exposure times and still had a hotspot in the centre (but not as bad as LX3).
The X10 is definitely good enough to have a go at some proper images.

I only shot hand-held at stupidly high ISO - live view and auto focus worked fine! This shot is tarmac, wild strawberries and the pot contains brown and green grass (gardening :shake:).
Hoya R72 IR Filter - ISO 6400, 8.3mm, f2.2, 1/17s - -1EV (looks like I used a bit too much) - Film style B&W with Red Filter - No post processing.
i-fL3h9Rv-M.jpg

Last edited:
...I can report the X10 is pretty cool at IR...

I'm glad to hear that... Anything that further shows off this camera's capabilities is good news! :) I have an old Hoya 58mm IR filter knocking about so that's something to have a mess about with in future.

I actually managed to get out for a walk with the camera this afternoon but the weather was still naff (although it wasn't raining). I got talking to a couple of lads who were messing about with skateboards and they kindly allowed me to practice a few shots on them. I used the little pop up flash set at +2/3 ev for a bit of fill... Once again, it shows that this is a versatile little camera.

Right then, time to get some dinner and then crack on with some more editing!

DSCF7123bwtp.jpg

Exif: ISO200, 1/800sec, F2.5

That shot would have been really superb if it had had less DOF, still very good though!

That is the real downside of the smaller sensor.

Last edited:
Blimey - another cracking piccy from Si :cool:
I've not given the flash a proper go yet - I think you may have just inspired me. (y)

That shot would have been really superb if it had had less DOF, still very good though!

That is the real downside of the smaller sensor.

Unless you want lots of DoF (like landscapes), in which case it's a real bonus.
It is what it is.....

Here's a link to a review I've not seen before...
By Digital Outback Photo.

Another real world test and (surprise surprise) they like it :)
"As much as we like the Olympus XZ1 the Fuji Finepix X10 is now the camera we plan to have with us all the time. The manual zoom and the handling feels just right. To our own surprise we like to use the rangefinder style OVF a lot. Image quality is as good as you can hope from a smallish sensor in 2011. Some years ago these small sensors were not really usable at even ISO 200."

Seems the X10 is a real Marmite camera for reviewers.
Pure love or hate, nothing in between.

Hi all,

Been reading this thread with interest over the last few weeks and after looking at other cameras like the oly xz-1, Canon g12 and the Canon S100 (and deciding I couldnt justify an X100) I have been out today and purchased an X10! :)

The battery is literally on charge as we speak.........its taking way too long for my liking to charge up!

Im pretty sure I got a very good deal on it. I was walking through town after meeting some friends for lunch when I saw in the window of London Camera Exchange they had an X10 in there sale for £359!!!!!! I thought, hang on that must be second hand surely? Turns out it wasnt, they were only selling one at that price so thankfully (luckily) I managed to grab it! Fully factory sealed box, brand spanking new! So excited I just want to get out and see how well it performs! :)

I am blaming this thread and all you guys and girls for this purchase!! :)

Last edited:
£359 thats an amazing price, and I thought mine was good.

Some great pics on this thread, especially from Si. I've had my X10 for a couple of weeks now and love it. Just been shooting in DR400 , image size M , Auto ISO and JPG. I love the b&w shots this camera produces, and of course the Fujifilm colour and dynamic range.

6498902725_f9f5e48c16_z.jpg

6530561137_a869853ded_z.jpg

6498899581_3ed1e5a916_z.jpg

6446880161_e3a77dd2e7_z.jpg

Last edited:
...I was walking through town after meeting some friends for lunch when I saw in the window of London Camera Exchange they had an X10 in there sale for £359...

That's an epic price... Well spotted! (y)

Some great pics on this thread, especially from Si. I've had my X10 for a couple of weeks now and love it. Just been shooting in DR400 , image size M , Auto ISO and JPG. I love the b&w shots this camera produces, and of course the Fujifilm colour and dynamic range.

6498902725_f9f5e48c16_z.jpg

This is my favourite... Loving the tones on it! I think I'm going to have to try the DR400 thing! :)

Good to know about the IR. Ive got that filter too but have been using it on an old Nikon D70. Ill have to get a cokin adaptor for the x10 now. £359 is a crazy good price! well spotted.

Went for a stroll along the cliffs this afty and got a couple, i do wish the sun would come out though!

How much (little) :puke:
I agree with Si about his choice of B&W - all excellent shots. They make me want to do more B&W than I am at the moment! :clap:
Afternoon stroll! What a beautiful location; should be absolutely amazing with a splash of light. (y)

From whats been posted so far, imo this camera really shines in mono, much more so than colour which at times looks over saturated.

From whats been posted so far, imo this camera really shines in mono, much more so than colour which at times looks over saturated.

If you have the film simulation mode set to Velvia, everything really is heavily saturated... I guess it all depends on how you like the end result. The RAW files on the other hand, look completely flat and lifeless until you start to mess about with 'em! :)

You won't hear from me for a while as I'm off out into the wilds of Scotland (unless the weather gets so bad the ferry is cancelled).
So I'm signing off with a set taken at a very drunk Christmas Eve session down my local pub.
Image quality is not up to much; extremely high ISO and poor care attention to focussing.
But that's not the point; I wanted to capture the lively atmosphere and I reckon spontaneity is far more important than image quality.
A dozen of these have been printed out at 10cmx15cm for the pub to pin up on the wall.
Overall I think the X10 did pretty well; I've previously tried taking exactly the same sort of images with the LX3 and rarely had a keeper.

Raucous Carol singing... :puke:
i-t7VF5qJ-S.jpg

Our regular barmaid (looking very festive)
i-dHk3qjj-S.jpg

The smokers partying outside (yup that is smoke in the top right of the frame)
i-DZqLDBN-S.jpg

Three of Santa's helpers :naughty:
i-XvZcF3k-S.jpg

Believe it or not, this wasn't posed; I only called them to look my direction.
i-vqZ8Zrq-S.jpg

It's 1am and things are gradually beginning to calm down :D
i-cmFGj2Z-S.jpg

My head felt pretty blimmin awful this morning :bonk:
But was soon sorted with copious quantities of Bucks Fizz leading up the Christmas Lunch. :nuts:

Last edited:
If you have the film simulation mode set to Velvia, everything really is heavily saturated... I guess it all depends on how you like the end result. The RAW files on the other hand, look completely flat and lifeless until you start to mess about with 'em! :)

Thanks for this (y)

There's no shame in covering all the bases Duncan! ;)

Something else that's been taking up a fair bit of reading and researching time concerns the size of the lens thread... There's a lot of discussion about the size that Fuji used. Some say it's 39.5mm, some say 40mm and some have fitted 40.5! I really don't want to get the dedicated lens hood/filter holder 'cos the 52mm size will screw up the use of the viewfinder.

I'm hoping some engineering type has managed to put a thread gauge on it by now but I can't find a definitive answer! :shrug:

There are plenty of non-OEM hoods available on fleabay but I want to screw an actual UV filter in the front and then use my own filter kit for landscape work. The X10 is perfect for using the old Cokin A mount and there are tons of those to be had! :)
I bought a 40mm to 49mm step-up ring and I'm pleased to announce that it's the right size. I just put an electronic vernier across its threads and across the official hood: step-up ring 39.88mm, Fuji adapter 39.98mm. 0.1mm is close enough for me! Unfortunately the 49mm hood I bought is too deep and causes vignetting. :crying:

Jonathan

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the info... Can I ask where you got the 40-49mm step up ring from 'cos all the ones I've seen have been 40.5mm to 49mm? :thinking:

To be honest, I'd be quite happy to have a 40mm Cokin 'A' adapter ring! :)

It was from an ebay seller called heavystar but I can't find any 40mm rings from him now.

Ah, have a look on ebay.com as he's got them there.

Last edited:
That's a step in the right direction (if you'll pardon the pun) ;)

Thanks Jonathan

6571835075_b1447eea26_b.jpg

Santa Also Brought Me An X10 I Am So Chuffed, Here Is Just A Random RAW Test Shot Down The Balcony.

Evenin' everyone...

The weather finally gave me a chance to get out with the X10 for a bit today and I had some work to do in Barmouth anyway... ;)

The first image is straight out of camera (apart from a resize and frame).

DSCF7245.jpg

Exif: ISO400. 1/1600sec at F4. Velvia Film setting, DR400%. Large, fine JPEG

DSCF7243.jpg

Exif: ISO400. 1/1000sec at F4. RAF (RAW)

DSCF7240bw.jpg

Exif: ISO400. 1/1000sec at F2.2. Converted to mono with Nik SilverEfex Pro2

More fantastic shots there buddy!

Just on a side note, for anyone interested, the Mr Zhou case has now been released. Also, the HeavyStar step up rings on eBay ( eg. 40-52mm) fit fine on the X10. This is probably perfect for all you X10 owners that are wanting to mount a wider range of filters!

Evenin' everyone...

The weather finally gave me a chance to get out with the X10 for a bit today and I had some work to do in Barmouth anyway... ;)

The first image is straight out of camera (apart from a resize and frame).

DSCF7245.jpg

Exif: ISO400. 1/1600sec at F4. Velvia Film setting, DR400%. Large, fine JPEG

DSCF7243.jpg

Exif: ISO400. 1/1000sec at F4. RAF (RAW)

DSCF7240bw.jpg

Exif: ISO400. 1/1000sec at F2.2. Converted to mono with Nik SilverEfex Pro2

Love the light of the 1st but prefer the viewpoint of the 3rd, the 2nd is a bit too flat compared to the others, the mono variant is excellent although I might have cloned the little man out right on the bottom edge of the frame.

More fantastic shots there buddy!

Just on a side note, for anyone interested, the Mr Zhou case has now been released. Also, the HeavyStar step up rings on eBay ( eg. 40-52mm) fit fine on the X10. This is probably perfect for all you X10 owners that are wanting to mount a wider range of filters!

Cheers Kev... I'm still looking at the various options for sticking filters onto the front of the X10 but I haven't seen anything yet that's made me go; "THAT'S THE ONE"! :)

Love the light of the 1st but prefer the viewpoint of the 3rd, the 2nd is a bit too flat compared to the others, the mono variant is excellent although I might have cloned the little man out right on the bottom edge of the frame.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the feedback... I know what you mean about the little fella. He had a friend in a day-glo orange jacket with him but he was on the far right, out of the shot (luckily). I left him in mainly because he gives a sense of scale to the whole shot (although I'll admit that he's a bit too close to the edge of the frame). :)

I'll admit to being very impressed with the JPEG output. I did a couple of selfies last night in Low light/High ISO EXR mode with no flash and converted to mono... The end result looked very clean (apart from having my ugly mug in it) :p

Cheers,
Si

love the last one, the wider angle makes it so much better.
Will be on the look out for those rings, i really want to have a bash at IR now and want to get some use out of the filter i bought which wasnt cheap and has sat in my bag for an age gathering dust.

Anyway, the sun came out at last! Although it was still 60mph winds so forgive the wonky horizons, i was grippping onto the paths with whatever body parts i had spare! Panorama mode bends things a little as well, i should get back in the habit of stitching seperates together in PS which i think does a better job.

Cape Cornwall

Cape Cornwall and Brisons

Longships lighthouse

Let's breathe a bit of life into this thread before the X100 owners start thinking they bought the better camera! ;)

I'm having great fun with the X10... I took it on a commercial shoot I did the other day for a new pub and it performed really well.

Exif: 1/550 sec. F2 at ISO100
Processed with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

DSCF7232.jpg

Heres a few of my recent shots with the X10, this little camera is so so versatile on the streets, no one even bats an eyelid when you are out and about with it.

1]
6614836793_20c87c8620_b.jpg

2]
6614833219_c885ba4295_b.jpg

3]
6614830023_11f0e9e835_b.jpg

4]
6498297527_c4d27a93ca_b.jpg

5]
6498297281_388dcf4413_b.jpg

6]
6614826569_3326bfc35c_b.jpg

Over the coming weeks I'm getting a little kit together and am going to be doing some landscaping with the X10 alone. Then I will probably realise some more just how amazing it really is!!

Sorry, these were shot in colour in camera and then processed using Nik Silver Efex Pro.

I use Nik Silver Efex Pro to do all of my mono processing too... It's a brilliant bit of software! :)

Here's one from yesterday afternoon...

DSF7347ver1tp.jpg

Shot Info: 1/200sec at f4. ISO100. RAW.
Canon 580EXII from left at 1/128 power on manual fired through 24in softbox
Canon 430EXII from right at 1/8 power on manual fired through 42in shoot-through umbrella.
Fired with Yong Nuo RF-602 Poverty Wizards.
Processed in CS5

I have Silver Efex Pro but haven't tried it yet with the X10. The camera seems ideally suited to street shooting so I think I may get out this week and try some B&W pictures through Efex

I just thought I would try the X10's highest ISO setting of 12800 today, see how much noise there is. As I expected, there was an incredible lack of detail and a massive amount of noise, but we can't have everything so I'm not really counting it an an issue. Anyway, I will post the photo up smaller than I usually do as it seems to hide the noise a little :LOL:

6636579399_071cc62d31_z.jpg

Back