The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Well done Kev! I really must find myself one of those gasmasks (for self portraits)! :D

Here's a couple from today's walk along the prom...

DSF7424tp.jpg

DSF7489bwtp.jpg

DSF7430bwtp.jpg

I see the X10 on Amazon yesterday was £405 and today, in line with other suppliers, £425. There's me yesterday discovering this thread and thinking at last I have found which camera I want and that the price may drop nearer to the G12 at £360.

I am patient but will the price drop even if I wait for a few months - I tend to be a fair weather photographer :nuts:

Blimey - some great images posted while I've been away in the wilds of Scotland. (y)

Ten days on the Isle of Muck that was only supposed to be a week but got extended by disruption to the ferry service.
Worst thing was being trapped in the house by the storms; I only got out with a camera on a few of the days and the poor X10 needed to be dried out after all of them. Other things like finding an extra three days food by scraping jars etc didn't seem so bad :puke:
I can report it was so severe that my tripod and 5DII didn't get used until the last day; but I took over 1000 images on the X10 :thinking:

Here's a few from the X10 - all out the camera JPEGs with a light tweak or two in LR3.
The proofs in the printing, but looking on the computer I'm very pleased with the X10 results.
It's an uncalibrated laptop screen; please excuse any dodgy tonal range in the images; proper processing will take place when I get home.

1) Shell Beach - it is a feature of Muck but was only there on the day we arrived. It completely vanished during one of the big storms that hit us. I'm told the shells will return over the next few months.
i-kk2SpH9-L.jpg

2) Cliff Edge - you can't tell the violence associated with taking this image. I was being battered by storm force winds and could barely stand up; check out the weird waves which all have their tops blown off.
i-MX4MS6H-L.jpg

3) The Road - there is only one road on Muck which connects the farm to the port. It was as wild and windswept as this dramatic light implies.
i-jKWsxDh-L.jpg

4) Fang Mor - a limestone pavement exposed at low tide; this isn't low tide and it isn't weather to be hanging around with a tripod - the X10 got salt all over it after only a few seconds. Did you know that licking the lens does a great job of removing salt spray?
i-mv3sKSc-L.jpg

5) Fang Mor Fossils - a detail from the limestone pavement. I've not seen fossils quite like these; really contrasty texture.....
i-Z6xnrkp-L.jpg

6) A little bit of spray - did I mention I was having problems with salt spray on the lens :bang:
The sun shone briefly on another day at this location in similar conditions; that's when the 5DII got some abuse. I gotta say the out the camera shots look way better out the X10; it takes a fair bit of work to get the 5DII images processed to the same standard, but the 5DII end result is WOW - but that's why I love my 5DII :)
i-PtSPBCX-L.jpg

Last edited:
A few more - mostly for amusement. A couple are not from the X10, but are clearly marked...

1) Dogs DOH! - One of the photographic challenges on Muck you don't expect; the farm dogs love following visitors all day and end up getting in every shot. Here, I'm being ambushed with a fishing float to kick into the distance so they (yes, there are two of them) can run to get it back. I was offered rocks, shells, sticks, buoys, kelp and random bits of plastic to throw for them. Ignoring them wasn't an option they understood.
i-GhTbFVT-L.jpg

2) Taken by my Mum (Fiona Porteous) on a vintage Fuji f30 because that's me in the yellow coat. There were two very good reasons I didn't go out photographing on New Years Day. The weather wasn't one of them; it was one of the few days wasn't pouring with rain!!!! First I had a hangover any Scot would be proud of. Second, the whole island played hockey on the beach. I was the only non-islander - GULP. The only rule was that the bigger players kept out of close fighting between the younger players - GULP. I got asked to bully-off (I think that was the term) which was explained as ground / stick / ground / stick / ground / stick - then hit the other persons ankles :eek: The stream really slowed down the ball and the cows / dogs were all counted as valid parts of the course. :bonk: Everybody got sand in their eyes and I ached badly for days. :bat:
i-ZhCJCbX-S.jpg

3) Here's why we were stranded on the island. If you look carefully you can see two vertical poles; they mark the start of the channel between the two reefs. The big Calmac ferry is quite a tight fit. At this time of year the majority of their ferries get cancelled.
i-hB46Xx7-M.jpg

4) This cliff is not the same one as my earlier post; it is a lot higher and is well over 100ft. I thought I was safe, but the splash from this wave came right up the cliff. Did I mention the problems I was having with salt spray ?
i-m6g5TwV-L.jpg

5) Here's one of my first shots of the waves in sunlight using the X10 - promising, but not really there compositionally. I didn't have the 5DII with me, the weather was way too bad to risk it (I recently wrote off my first 5DII in stormy weather; this was MUCH worse).
i-FPd7RJv-M.jpg

6) For comparison, here's one of the few images I've got around to processing from the 5DII. I'm well chuffed with this one....
i-x4gKhgz-L.jpg

In summary...
The X10 delivered images from conditions I dared not risk my big camera and has produced results I'm genuinely proud of.

Last edited:
Some great pictures there Duncan. And good to know you made it back from the storm battered island. I've seen images from Islay that gave me goosebumps with concrete slabs just moved by the force of the wind and sea and some of the distilleries roof pagodas simply blown away.
I see that the dogs are also still there...
I am currently just waiting for the X10 to drop a bit further below the 500 euro mark - then she will be mine. :)
Would you say that it is necessary to get a second battery as there is always the talk that battery life is a bit of an issue with the X10?
BTW - Happy New Year
eVa

Looks like you had fun Duncan! :)

Eva... A second battery is a must! I picked a generic one up from mymemory.co.uk for under a tenner. It seems to work fine. :)

Hi eVa :)
Yup - it's the same dogs that you met in the Summer. I eventually found the right command to send them home, but it only worked at first sight; as soon as the first ball was kicked there was no way to get rid of them. I found another command that made them heel; which was really handy when they insisted they demonstrate their prowess rounding up sheep; I couldn't get rid of them, but at least I get them to behave better.

Yes - I'd recommend you get a spare battery for the X10.
Interestingly, battery life has improved dramatically. Initially I struggled to get 300 shots on a battery, but am now frequently exceeding 400 shots on a charge. Sub-300 is not acceptable and a spare is needed, but over 400 shots means the spare battery is for insurance against running out.
No idea why the battery life has improved; but am relieved :)

Are you heading up to Scotland this year?
Duncan

Looks like you had fun Duncan! :)

Eva... A second battery is a must! I picked a generic one up from mymemory.co.uk for under a tenner. It seems to work fine. :)

A word of caution - The generic replacement battery I bought is only 700mAh.
The genuine Fuji batteries have 940mAh+. I don't understand the small print. In some conditions it gets rated at 1000mAh :thinking:

The difference may not sound like much, but for me makes the difference between running out during a day out, and going home with some charge still in the camera.

A word of caution - The generic replacement battery I bought is only 700mAh.
The genuine Fuji batteries have 940mAh+...

That's a good point... I just looked at the one I bought and that's only 700mAh! ;)

I never thought to check! :D

Yes - I'd recommend you get a spare battery for the X10.
Interestingly, battery life has improved dramatically. Initially I struggled to get 300 shots on a battery, but am now frequently exceeding 400 shots on a charge. Sub-300 is not acceptable and a spare is needed, but over 400 shots means the spare battery is for insurance against running out.
No idea why the battery life has improved; but am relieved :)

Duncan
Most rechargeable batteries improve after a few charge/discharge cycles so what you're seeing is quite normal.

I picked up a couple of allegedly genuine Fuji batteries from eBay for under a tenner each. I don't believe they are genuine at that price but they are very close copies if not and claim to have the right capacity. We'll see....

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but these batteries (and some other small camera batteries) are the same size as type II Compact Flash cards. I found a couple of old CF cases in the bits box and they're a perfect fit for the batteries. They do need to be the old double-thickness type, though.

Jonathan

6646685269_073c88c43d_b.jpg

6644141273_3c39e6949a_b.jpg

6644138833_c22886b952_b.jpg

6644140511_c5d3ca1d3d_b.jpg

I am really loving my x10, possibly more so than the 7D at the moment :)

Is that a blue sky over 'Birmingham-On-Sea' (Barmouth) I see Darren? ;) Must have been photoshopped in! :p

On a side note, do you work in the Tyn-y-cornel hotel by any chance? :)
Cheers,
Si

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember that I read somewhere that the battery is the same as in the f100fd. That would be perfect, because I happen to have that camera (the X10 will be replacing it).

@Duncan: I hope to make it to Scotland this year but don't know yet when and for how long. The 7 weeks in NZ are quite diminishing my holiday-budget (time and money wise :puke:).

what are people doing about filters? if anything.

I want to use my Cokin infra red filter but the thread size is 39.5mm on the lens which doesnt fit anything! The smallest adaptor cokin have seems to be 40.5 which is a bit frustrating. Is there any way round this? what parts would i need

Amazon do this but £54 is frankly taking the mick.

Last edited:
what are people doing about filters? if anything.

I want to use my Cokin infra red filter but the thread size is 39.5mm on the lens which doesnt fit anything! The smallest adaptor cokin have seems to be 40.5 which is a bit frustrating. Is there any way round this? what parts would i need

Amazon do this but £54 is frankly taking the mick.

I'm just waiting for my heavystar 40-52mm step up ring to arrive, there are a few members on the X series forums that use these and apparently they fit fine. I will report back once mine turns up.

ive just seen that amazon one on ebay for £18 so im going for that, i dont want to force a slightly bigger one into the thread as it might muck it up.

Is that a blue sky over 'Birmingham-On-Sea' (Barmouth) I see Darren? ;) Must have been photoshopped in! :p

On a side note, do you work in the Tyn-y-cornel hotel by any chance? :)
Cheers,
Si

just a gentle boost of saturation for that barmouth sky Mate :LOL::LOL:, no i don't work there thank goodness, they have had ALOT of issues just latley but thats another story, i work around the corner at Minffordd :)

Noticed your photo in this thread from locally around and about, you have done an awsome job with the ickle Fuji :clap:

How many photo's are you getting on average from a full charge folks, i managed 197 on a full day out the other day, mainly using LCD and Aperture Priority.

Cheers

Daz

Hi Ash,

You can just about get the 40.5mm adapter ring on but it only goes on for about an eighth of a turn (and I don't want to force it). I have the HeavyStar version coming from the US but since the USPS and Royal Mail seem to have a contest running to see who can be the slowest, I don't expect to see it for at least a month! :D

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of the set-up I'm currently messing about with. It works but it's not perfect. :)

The Cokin A filters work well but it's difficult to use the viewfinder... Having said that, for landscape work it's probably best to use the screen (and the spirit level) anyway.

5D2_11544tp.jpg

5D2_11539bwtp.jpg

nice one, doesnt it look all pro and grown up with that on the front :D

Id be loath to force the 40.5 on though, even the 40 would be a worry if i over tightened it id strip a thread or something. But its good to have different options at least. Mines coming from Hong Kong so god only knows if and when it will turn up.

... I work around the corner at Minffordd...

Ah right, I drive past there most days if I've got jobs in Dolgellau although sometimes I'll drive the long way around via Tywyn and Fairbourne just to kill a bit of time! ! :)

I need to spend another day at the top of the valley soon 'cos I've not had a day on the jets for a while. I don't think I'll be using the X10 for that though! ;)

...Noticed your photo in this thread from locally around and about, you have done an awsome job with the ickle Fuji :clap:

Thanks Darren... I think we're lucky to live where we do! Loads of opportunities locally! :)

Cheers,
Si

Ickle Fuji has done me proud today :cool:

Needed a bit of fresh air before the long trek South tomorrow; it was raining, so shoved the X10 into my pocket and left the big camera at home.
Found these old lifeboats rotting on the shore. I tried taking them 'conventionally' and the light was bad enough that at ISO 100 I was getting 1/3s or 1/4s exposures; they do have a bit of motion blur and are serviceable but won't print very big.
I didn't want to up the ISO too much as I knew I'd stumbled on something I wanted to justice to.

So with nothing to lose, I tried Pro Low Light mode - WOW!
I need to get my head around what it actually does and whether I get any influence on the exposure; but leaving the X10 to get on with it produced images WAY better quality than I managed using PASM or would have got with high ISO.
These images really float my boat :exit:

Pro Low Light, ISO 640, f2.2
i-QqMGRRk-L.jpg

Pro Low Light, ISO 2000, f2.8
i-8xnbv3n-M.jpg

Pro Low Light is definitely worth experimenting with (y)

DSCF0836Small.jpg

DSCF0856SMALL.jpg

Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

Not bad (y)
What ISO and DR did you use?

If you get a chance, it would be interesting to know if DR 1600% would have coped with retaining detail in the window.

Cheers, Not bad for a non DSLR eh

ISO 400
Auto DR (i think:bonk:)
Aperture Priority

o yes never thought of trying 1600% will do when ever i return as i am not exactly local :)

If you still have the image in the camera, then you can look at the details and check what DR the camera chose to use.
Once downloaded, I've not figured out how to show that part of the metadata.

Regards DR 1600% - it's worth figuring out how to enable it before you need it as first time round I failed to get it. You need to be in EXR mode, reduce the image size, then magically the extra DR options become available.
Also... I had a play with DR 1600% while I was trapped indoors by the Scottish weather and found one big problem. Because the two exposures are SO different, if the camera moves during the longer exposure then you will get image artefacts when it recombines a sharp image with a blurred image. My artefacts showed as blue fringes on one side of uber-contrasty edges like the edge of a window.

That's an epic price... Well spotted! (y)

This is my favourite... Loving the tones on it! I think I'm going to have to try the DR400 thing! :)

A story behind the location of this photograph, the door on the left used to be the entrance to a cable termination room for British Rail, where I once terminated a cable 30 year ago.

Phil

I see the X10 on Amazon yesterday was £405 and today, in line with other suppliers, £425. :nuts:

I was kicking myself after noticing that little price increase as well. OTOH the Nikon J1 is now £415. Hmmm... decisions decisions!

I was kicking myself after noticing that little price increase as well. OTOH the Nikon J1 is now £415. Hmmm... decisions decisions!

Now is the time for patience?

I assume it competes with the Canon G12 which is around £360 so some way to come down as it (the X10) is still relativeley new. Unless I buy a G12.

The obvious rivals are the Canon G12, Nikon P7100 and Olympus XZ-1 but it has a larger sensor than any of them which partially explains the higher cost.

Yes, time for patience indeed.

I think the X10 wipes the floor with the Olympus XZ-1, though the fast 1.8 Zuiko lens on the Oly is a saving grace. The X10 also has such an attractive size and quality feel. I'm so envious of you X10 owners. :LOL:

I now have a fully functioning adapter ring for the X10 today... The HeavyStar 40-49mm ring arrived in the post today! It fits perfectly and seems to be well made too!

On top of that, the US Postal Service managed to get it here from California in 8 days! :D

I now have a fully functioning adapter ring for the X10 today... The HeavyStar 40-49mm ring arrived in the post today! It fits perfectly and seems to be well made too!

On top of that, the US Postal Service managed to get it here from California in 8 days! :D

I'm still waiting for mine to turn up, unless little bro has hidden it on me :LOL: After being out doing landscapes with the X10 today, I feel I would of really appreciated a decent set of ND and ND Grad filters!

Mine turned up in around a week too. Si, is yours marked S&W too? Can't see it standing for Smith & Wesson in this case.....

Mine turned up in around a week too. Si, is yours marked S&W too? Can't see it standing for Smith & Wesson in this case.....

Hi Jonathan,

Yeah, it's marked up as; 'S&W Photo Accessory Co.' on the ring and also on the little red wallet it came in. There have been a few reports on Flickr of the fit being too loose but I don't have any issues with mine. :shrug:

Here are a few from my 2 days off work (finally) The first 3 are from Lake Vyrnwy and the rest are from South Stack Lighthouse. I really am loving this little camera right now!!

6674519523_4be1b30c6c_b.jpg

6674520595_8ba5bf9ac8_b.jpg

6674521675_1e319248b0_b.jpg

6683853637_986a30ff1a_b.jpg

6683854055_c94f888b74_b.jpg

6683854343_25fbf38f72_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back