The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Mornin' all,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update... Ayesha gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on Tuesday night at 22:10 weighing in a 7lb and 1/2 an ounce!

We've named her Callie Haf Victoria ('Haf' is a Welsh name that means 'Summer').
Mum and baby are both doing fine!

Soooo many photo opportunities! :D

DSCF9340tp.jpg

(I promise I won't flood the thread with X10 baby pics) ;)

Mornin' all,
Ayesha gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on Tuesday night at 22:10 weighing in a 7lb and 1/2 an ounce!

We've named her Callie Haf Victoria ('Haf' is a Welsh name that means 'Summer').
Mum and baby are both doing fine!

(I promise I won't flood the thread with X10 baby pics) ;)

Congratulations.........and post away, you won't bore me especially if they're the same quality as your previous posts.:clap:

Massive congratulations Si.. Nice photo. I hope Callie is more :baby: than :dummy: else you may find a few sleepless nights lay ahead ;)

Last edited:
I sent my X10 for the replacement sensor on Saturday so Fuji would have got it on Monday and ive just called them to find out whats going on and apparently its being shipped out today and should be with me Monday.

One strange thing though, ive had no emails or any communication from fuji. Nothing to even say that they have received the camera!

I sent my X10 for the replacement sensor on Saturday so Fuji would have got it on Monday and ive just called them to find out whats going on and apparently its being shipped out today and should be with me Monday.

One strange thing though, ive had no emails or any communication from fuji. Nothing to even say that they have received the camera!

I also sent mine off last Saturday and had an email from them on Tuesday saying it had been received. I have checked daily on their Camera Repair Tracking link with little information other than saying "if not back within three weeks to call them". As I read your email I thought I would check again, on the link, and it has changed, since 8.00 a.m., to "your camera is being returned to you".

Oh so I had better make sure someone is on tomorrow!!! See who get theirs back first :D And I do hope for both our sakes that all is OK and nothing else to get stressed about. :nono:

I wouldn't concern yourself over that. I didn’t receive any myself but everything went fine :)

Si - I will add my congratulations to you AND your wife.

thanks both.
Do you have a link to the camera repair tracker thingy ma jig?

EDIT: Just found it (i think) but it says my camera was not found on the system... oh well

Last edited:
On another tack - do you have you mission statement and a selection of photos for the panel available publically. I would be really interested to check them out. Same goes for you Lindsay - I would love to see the kind of work you submitted with the philosophy behind it.

The RPS website has examples, but they are fairly well tucked away!
Here's a direct link. Note that these are all pre-rule changes.
http://www.rps.org/advisory_zone/Successful-Panels

I've still got several months of anguish getting my panel ready.
But as I noted a page or so back, I'm currently trying writing my statement and then go looking for images.
If you want a flavour of the images I'm going to include, here's a link to my showcase http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/Showcase/21993479_7DmZGf#!i=1754459300&k=hwdW94M
The are all landscape format because they get picked up by the slideshow gadget on the website home page - I take WAY more portrait format landscapes, but you will get a feel for the sort of images :D

Here's my statement so far after only two sessions (and it shows); most recent session was last night with my neighbour over a bottle of wine. A most productive evening, cheers Christina! (y)

I came to photography through a love of wild places. The experience of reaching the pinnacle of a mountain, under adverse weather conditions, capturing these journeys with a compact film camera has formed my photographic aesthetic.

The solitude and beauty of isolated landscapes gives me a profound sense of inner peace.
The locations that inspire me are a challenge to reach, and conditions have often been demanding on my resilience, but my desire to capture the moment drives me.

As I walk through remote locations I notice areas of limitless texture and beauty. My apprehension of what could go wrong in such hostile environments is reflected in much of my work.

My aim is to convey my perception of the original landscape.
It is something I suspect is becoming a life long journey.

Be interesting to see what you lot think.
Especially Souldeep, as your project statement was wonderful :)
It is still very much a work in progress and it will get a good polish before the assessment. But the intent of the statement is unlikely to change...

Given that this is the X10 thread - and getting the thread back on topic :D:D:D
Two of the candidate images for the centre of the panel were taken on the X10, both of them at ISO 400 (caused by allowing the camera to choose DR400% saving as RAW), I'd now use force the X10 to use ISO 100 unless I needed a high ISO.
I'm not at all worried about image quality as I'm only printing to A3 and the X10 is more than capable of delivering a stunning print at these settings.

Congratulations Si on the arrival of your daughter and glad to hear everyone is OK.

X10 on the way back from Fuji :) after sensor swap.

Has anybody tired those "automatic" lens cap things you see on ebay? I thought about getting one and combining it with a sturdy wrist-strap for a carry-around-the-city kinda of setup.

My main concern is being able to use the zoom as the cap fits around the zoom ring.

Has anybody tired those "automatic" lens cap things you see on ebay? I thought about getting one and combining it with a sturdy wrist-strap for a carry-around-the-city kinda of setup.

My main concern is being able to use the zoom as the cap fits around the zoom ring.

I bought one of these and only used it once. My idea was to use it when I was out then put the normal lens cap on when putting camera away until the next time.

Pros
Saves mucking about with lens cap on/off

Cons
Spoils the look of the camera
Makes using the on/off and zoom awkward and fiddly
Dust will easily get it
Taking it on/off feels as if you could cause damage to the camera due to the force needed.

So bottom line is forget it - but that is my opinion :thumbsdown:

http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/produc...lens_cap_cover_for_fuji_film_finepix_x10.html

Shot through a window, but I couldn't resist the light and the X10 was on my desk....

As an aside, I learned today that a journalist I know has been using an X10 since January and has had pictures from it used in the regional paper he works for. He likes the camera. :)

I see what you are trying to say but, stylistically, it needs refining. Some words are repeated too often and (to my mind) there are some unnecessary details.

As an aside, I learned today that a journalist I know has been using an X10 since January and has had pictures from it used in the regional paper he works for. He likes the camera. :)

That makes a lot of sense. It is more than good enough for news reproduction at any size. It is inconspicuous, un-intimidating and does the job.
Might help to have the off camera flash for press work as a fill flash and night work.

Some use phones now ... it is a big step up from that.

Ed Sutton said:

It's pretty much becoming that standard press carry round/ pocket camera. Easily good enough for newsprint.

The RPS website has examples, but they are fairly well tucked away!
Here's a direct link. Note that these are all pre-rule changes.
http://www.rps.org/advisory_zone/Successful-Panels

I've still got several months of anguish getting my panel ready.
But as I noted a page or so back, I'm currently trying writing my statement and then go looking for images.
If you want a flavour of the images I'm going to include, here's a link to my showcase http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Other/Showcase/21993479_7DmZGf#!i=1754459300&k=hwdW94M
The are all landscape format because they get picked up by the slideshow gadget on the website home page - I take WAY more portrait format landscapes, but you will get a feel for the sort of images :D

Here's my statement so far after only two sessions (and it shows); most recent session was last night with my neighbour over a bottle of wine. A most productive evening, cheers Christina! (y)

Especially Souldeep, as your project statement was wonderful :)
It is still very much a work in progress and it will get a good polish before the assessment. But the intent of the statement is unlikely to change...

Given that this is the X10 thread - and getting the thread back on topic :D:D:D
Two of the candidate images for the centre of the panel were taken on the X10, both of them at ISO 400 (caused by allowing the camera to choose DR400% saving as RAW), I'd now use force the X10 to use ISO 100 unless I needed a high ISO.
I'm not at all worried about image quality as I'm only printing to A3 and the X10 is more than capable of delivering a stunning print at these settings.
Duncan - they have taken my breath away. They are so strong I cannot decide on a single favourite. I am really drawn towards the lighthouse shot with the path leading up to it, the island with the sun behind the clouds, the dynamic range of the moonlit bay with the stars and the texture/form of the layers of stone in the cliff photo.

In regards to your statement; it’s such a personal thing that I couldn't even start to offer you any advice. What I can comment on is how your images strongly reflect your philosophy.

"The solitude and beauty of isolated landscapes gives me a profound sense of inner peace." - Although the set really speaks volumes of isolation and solitude I think that the lighthouse shots add a human landscape element. This gives some diversity to the set. I would say that lighthouses must be one of the strongest examples of humans most isolated influence on landscape.

"As I walk through remote locations I notice areas of limitless texture and beauty. My apprehension of what could go wrong in such hostile environments is reflected in much of my work." - I think the set has some excellent texture on offer. From the wonderful smooth time lapsed shot of the pebbles on the beach through the textured black and white sand right up to the hard edged photo of the granite ridge. Regarding your apprehension - I think the rainbow shot does this for me - something "lost boys" about standing on a cliff edge and dropping into the mist.

After your suggestion I have been reading up on the RPS distinction criterion. I may have misunderstood it but I wonder if it’s worth considering you may have too many shots of the same island. I count three that appear to be shot from an identical position. Each has its own message to convey but I seemed to get the impression that it may weaken your chance if you have more than two "similar" shots?

Only other thing is that could the shot of the sand be considered an odd one out the set? I say this not because it doesn’t support the texture statement but because to look at it in relation to the rest may isolate it as somewhat abstract.

Anyway hope some of those comments help, thank you for sharing them, and I look forward to seeing your ideas develop :)

Last edited:
Shot through a window, but I couldn't resist the light and the X10 was on my desk....

Wow - nice spot to work from!

I can see that's evening light - it's actually my favourite part of the day to shoot as the whole landscape warms up with hazy light. Shadows can be a bit of a pain though.

Oh and sorry - I keep calling you ED but I noticed Lindsay called you Dave. Guess I should read profiles (I haven't actually filled mine out yet).

On the Fuji web site status, with my sensor change, it says (from yesterday evening) "Your camera is being returned to you".

So do I wait in today, or go out and risk missing the delivery?

I recall someone saying delivery attempts had been made but no card had been left through the door and I think it was City Link.

Decisions, decisions :thinking:

I recall someone saying delivery attempts had been made but no card had been left through the door and I think it was City Link.

That would be me.........I finally got my camera yesterday (via City Link) yesterday.......7 days after it left Fuji. City Link tried to deliver it twice and claim they left a card each time, but they didn't, so I had to contact Fuji to find out who the courier was!! I'd give Fuji a ring and ask them for the tracking number and then go on the City Link website and try and find out when it will be delivered. In my case, the nearest I could get to a delivery time was between 07:30 and 17:30, not very helpful when you have to wait in for it!! Best of luck:)

Still waiting to decide about my x10. The pictures are so go with the old sensor. I guess there is time to let the rush die down and people to have more time with the sensor.

On city link, they are generally quite terrible. Not carding is a favourite trick of theirs and often causes problems. Luckily I have good neighbours who will often take in a parcel if they are around.

Wow - nice spot to work from!

I work from home. It's not as nice as it looks, but it's nice enough. :)

Oh and sorry - I keep calling you ED but I noticed Lindsay called you Dave. Guess I should read profiles (I haven't actually filled mine out yet).

Don't worry, I'm used to it now! Can't remember why I signed up as Ed, but it's too late to change now... :crying:

That would be me.........I finally got my camera yesterday (via City Link) yesterday.......7 days after it left Fuji. City Link tried to deliver it twice and claim they left a card each time, but they didn't, so I had to contact Fuji to find out who the courier was!! I'd give Fuji a ring and ask them for the tracking number and then go on the City Link website and try and find out when it will be delivered. In my case, the nearest I could get to a delivery time was between 07:30 and 17:30, not very helpful when you have to wait in for it!! Best of luck:)

Thanks Keith and this morning I thought sod it and went out but no card - not that it seems you are guaranteed to get one if you are out. I will call Fuji on Monday and do as you suggest. (y)

Duncan - they have taken my breath away. They are so strong I cannot decide on a single favourite. I am really drawn towards the lighthouse shot with the path leading up to it, the island with the sun behind the clouds, the dynamic range of the moonlit bay with the stars and the texture/form of the layers of stone in the cliff photo.

In regards to your statement; it’s such a personal thing that I couldn't even start to offer you any advice. What I can comment on is how your images strongly reflect your philosophy.

"The solitude and beauty of isolated landscapes gives me a profound sense of inner peace." - Although the set really speaks volumes of isolation and solitude I think that the lighthouse shots add a human landscape element. This gives some diversity to the set. I would say that lighthouses must be one of the strongest examples of humans most isolated influence on landscape.

"As I walk through remote locations I notice areas of limitless texture and beauty. My apprehension of what could go wrong in such hostile environments is reflected in much of my work." - I think the set has some excellent texture on offer. From the wonderful smooth time lapsed shot of the pebbles on the beach through the textured black and white sand right up to the hard edged photo of the granite ridge. Regarding your apprehension - I think the rainbow shot does this for me - something "lost boys" about standing on a cliff edge and dropping into the mist.

After your suggestion I have been reading up on the RPS distinction criterion. I may have misunderstood it but I wonder if it’s worth considering you may have too many shots of the same island. I count three that appear to be shot from an identical position. Each has its own message to convey but I seemed to get the impression that it may weaken your chance if you have more than two "similar" shots?

Only other thing is that could the shot of the sand be considered an odd one out the set? I say this not because it doesn’t support the texture statement but because to look at it in relation to the rest may isolate it as somewhat abstract.

Anyway hope some of those comments help, thank you for sharing them, and I look forward to seeing your ideas develop :)

Wow! Thanks for putting so much thought into your response.
You are right about lighthouses; that's very eloquently put!
For the panel, I'm wanting to select strikingly simple compositions; so this lighthouse is a stronger contender than the one with the path. The lighthouse with the path is an odd image as I've always loved that image but surprisingly few other people feel moved by it; I think I'm being influenced by my memories of taking it; a perfect summer evening with Dolphins playing in the sea beneath me.
The rainbow shot is one of the few images that's a definite for the panel, so long as it fits with the final layout. It's a Broken Spectre and it's a treat seeing them as well defined as this one.

Several X10 images are on the top contender list for my panel, including this stormy seascape which looks great big as the textures shine through.
My previous compact camera get an honourable mention too! This one comes from my old LX3, which this is an example of where it produced a cracking image at the right quality, but this happened far less frequently than the X10. This image has needed Photoshop to paint in texture to some overexposed clouds that the X10 might have got away with.

Regards "similar" shots....
What they want to see evidence of diversity illustrating that you have mastered your camera.
If you think you can do that then it probably isn't a problem.
An example of what they are trying to avoid is a studio with a succession of different models using the same lighting set up; the additional images tell them nothing more about the photographer's capabilities.
The Travel and Contemporary Categories are frequently about a single location, so that's not a problem.
One of the F panels I saw recently documented homeless people, it had the same subjects and locations reused in different shots, but wasn't a problem as the story being told by each images was very different.
The challenge is that LRPS doesn't have categories; which is where some proper advice is needed. Remember that they are after evidence you are in control of the image making process, and your images are doing that!
The guidelines also say properly exposed, avoid bleached highlights and blocked in shadows and should be sharp where they need to be sharp - but I've seen an L panel that blew this away as the graphic composition was so strong nothing else mattered and it was a very comfortable L pass. As said earlier - best to get advice from the RPS.
I've got a suspicion that a chat with the Distinctions organisers would be the best way forward. The Distinctions Workshops they run often offer mentors to help with this sort of decision and if you play your cards right, they might put you in touch with one of them.

Also cheers to Ed - He's right :)
The words are still very rough; but I'm not worried about that as I need to set the theme so I can start selecting images to support my statement.
Some of the paragraphs are rather mixed up at the moment.
There are three things I want to convey:
- where I came from and why it motivates me
- the contrast of beauty and danger in these remote places
- what I'm looking for in my images
I know I haven't got the words right yet; but at least they are getting close enough that I can gather my images and start laying out my panel.
My fist attempt at a panel (pre-statement) was really just a collection of my favourite images. Even though it was a bit mixed, it looked great; but it would have been impossible to write a statement about them. About 1/3 of them didn't come close to fitting my statement and have now been discarded.

Wow! Thanks for putting so much thought into your response.
You are right about lighthouses; that's very eloquently put!

Hehe - my writing has been called many things but never eloquent! Ta :)

For the panel, I'm wanting to select strikingly simple compositions; so this lighthouse is a stronger contender than the one with the path. The lighthouse with the path is an odd image as I've always loved that image but surprisingly few other people feel moved by it; I think I'm being influenced by my memories of taking it; a perfect summer evening with Dolphins playing in the sea beneath me.

I understand what you mean regarding the simple compositions. That certainly helps strike out the isolation of nature - but I personally disagree about your "belief" that the lighthouse with the path may only look good to you because of subjective reasons. I actually found that to be one of the most impressionable photos and I think it has an objective beauty. I also think as analogy it really supports your reference to your personal "journey" in capturing solitude. a path leads the eye to the lighthouse, the solitude of humanity and nature combined - a destination I understand you wish to achieve in your photos. A lighthouse also represents the danger of remoteness - or rather humans attempt to avert the dangers of the risks of nature.

The challenge is that LRPS doesn't have categories; which is where some proper advice is needed. Remember that they are after evidence you are in control of the image making process, and your images are doing that!
The guidelines also say properly exposed, avoid bleached highlights and blocked in shadows and should be sharp where they need to be sharp - but I've seen an L panel that blew this away as the graphic composition was so strong nothing else mattered and it was a very comfortable L pass. As said earlier - best to get advice from the RPS.

Oh I misunderstood then - I thought you was going for Associateship in the Visual category. I also thought I was suggested to read up and understand the same category (I think travel category was mentioned). Are you suggesting I should try for the Licentiateship instead? I did wonder if the Associateship was a bar a tad too high for me to aim for first time but then I'm not one to shy away from challenge ;)

Last edited:
Oh I misunderstood then - I thought you was going for Associateship in the Visual category. I also thought I was suggested to read up and understand the same category (I think travel category was mentioned). Are you suggesting I should try for the Licentiateship instead? I did wonder if the Associateship was a bar a tad too high for me to aim for first time but then I'm not one to shy away from challenge ;)

Yup - Me for ARPS in Visual Art.
You - more tricky! If you already had your LRPS, it would be a no-brainer; have a crack a creating a submission for ARPS in Travel.
But the RPS prefers L to be done first and your images are more than good enough for that (but don't under estimate the work needed to create the panel itself).
Talk to the RPS, ask for an opinion about what to do. If they offer you a mentor, then the mentor will be in a far better position to recommend whether jumping to A is realistic and how to use L as a stepping stone.

Nice variety there TB (y)
#3 is my favourite, that's a very photogenic building and I wish it was a bit closer so I could have a go myself!

Last word about RPS before normal X10 service is resumed - promise :nuts:
For Lindsay and Souldeep.
Just received this notification; it's the same day I went to in Bath and I highly recommend it!
Tickets will go FAST!
You don't have to be a member to attend...

Celebrations of Distinctions

After the hugely successful Celebrations of Distinctions held in Bath on the 9th June, we have now confirmed 3 more dates and venues:
Smethwick 8th September
Llandudno– 9th September
Edinburgh – 25th November

This is a great chance to view successful LRPS, ARPS and FRPS portfolios up close and ask any questions you have relating to the Distinctions process and the Society. There will be a Fellowship member available to offer information and advice, and when possible the President of the Society will also attend.

Last edited:
Few photographs, including trying out the 'fireworks' setting which can give some interesting results. The coffee cup is from a collection I am starting to build of... well.. coffee cups :D I'm going to take a photograph of all the coffee I have (when my camera is there) to build a collection of the memories from those days. for example, this cup was from a cafe that I went to with my parents when they were visiting me and my girlfriend.

7477925670_7643a0b080_c.jpg

7477919184_be166ce59b_c.jpg

7477922356_73c85d05fa_c.jpg

7477915856_fd4be98dcd_c.jpg

7477942480_a88875af8f_c.jpg

If I could have been bothered to do so I might have taken the camera out of the fireworks settings and tried my own but I was too busy enjoying them for myself :)

Few photographs, including trying out the 'fireworks' setting which can give some interesting results.

Not sure about the rest but no 3 with the chain is just amazing! You could almost bark your knee on that rust.

I like the chain too, its typical of a lot of shots I do. If I was being picky, I would have liked the closest part of the chain in focus, but thats just me!
Never tried the fireworks setting, those results look interesting, I will have to get some practice in with it.

Allan

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments!
I'm still not too confident with my processing of the raw files - the sky for instance just doesn't show the 'wow' factor of what I actually saw. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get there eventually!
The one with the cup isn't supposed to be a great photo either, its more of a photograph for me as it is my memories.

Thanks for the kind comments!
I'm still not too confident with my processing of the raw files - the sky for instance just doesn't show the 'wow' factor of what I actually saw. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get there eventually!
The one with the cup isn't supposed to be a great photo either, its more of a photograph for me as it is my memories.

I like the rust shot but can see why you have taken the cup shot and can see why (to you) you may like it more.

For some photography is amassing memories and it doesn't really matter if it is, or is not, technically brilliant. I say this as I tend to take shots of many of our coffee shop trips. And the thing is with th X10 no one gives you funny looks. When I tried this with my Panasonic G2 there were more looks of 'you shouldn't be taking photos in here' :eek:

Enjoy a diverse range of subject matter and don't get hung up that every single shot should be an amazing 'work of art'. If you do it will take some of the enjoyment away and could cause stress to the point where you go off taking any!!

If I could have been bothered to do so I might have taken the camera out of the fireworks settings and tried my own but I was too busy enjoying them for myself :)

Interesting shots and nice idea to collect coffee cup shots in their environment.
I did not know I had a "Firework setting" as I tend not to use those presets.
But it could be an interesting experiment to try.

Back