The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Took my new sensor for a walk over the weekend, its nice to have it back.
Heres a shot converted to mono. I seemed to get the right effect on the bench but couldnt figure out why the gravestones behind it seem to have gone white, it wasnt that sunny!

7428166726_9552215d12_z.jpg

Allan

DuncanDisorderly said:
Don't get your hopes up...
I believe what the 'fix' does is to up the ISO as orbs are less pronounced at high ISO.
If you are in control of your ISO then it probably wont make any difference.

To be honest Duncan I'm that bothered about the orbs as I don't really take photos at night and if I did would use the dslr or micro 4/3. If I do get an orb from the sun then so be it. I'm not replacing the sensor yet until there is more feedback about it as at the moment I think it's a great camera and I'm really into the exr mode.

Andy.

souldeep said:
Joker!!!

They are stunning :clap:

Stop it your making me blush there's some outstanding work on here and these just don't compare although I'm impressed with the daisy shot but that's the camera not me!!!

Andy

Just picked up one from the classifieds so I can travel light. Love the look and the feel, once I've digested this thread and RTFM I will pop up some shots.

Took mine for a walk around Berlin a few weeks ago. It was a pleasure to not have to cart the DSLR around all day.

I'm not good at street photography - don't really have the bottle for it but the X10 helped me get this one, whereas the D700 would have stayed in the bag. I call it 'attack of the lamppost monster'. :)

Have you tried changing the colour space to Adobe RGB on the camera when shooting jpegs? It should help contain your reds better!

Ok, did a test last night, camera on standard Provia, medium colour, manual setting with 400 auto EXR. This is my issue with reds -

RAW file converted to JPEG, not 100% perfect red but pretty darn close:
MouselightRAW.jpg

JPEG straight from camera (fine setting):
MouselightJPEG.jpg

Now that can't be right, I've read up and no-one seems to have a solution, it mainly appears as over-saturated reds on JPEG's, not the end of the world I guess but many say this is only under indoor lights etc. One of the pictures I ditched from the weekend was a vibrant red flower outdoors which had also turned pink! My other red flower shots came out a little strong with reds obscuring detail. Unlike "orb issues" which many are looking for (which I haven't seen any evidence of on my camera) I wasn't aware of a problem with reds on JPEG's but noticed it coming up on any picture I took with a lot of red content over the weekend, I presumed I just had colour set too high.

I guess the solution is to shoot RAW since while this is a documented problem from some people (is it just some or do all X10's have this behaviour??) there seems to be no movement from Fuji on any firmware fix - bigger issues to deal with I'm sure! It's a shame though as one of the reasons I wanted to get away from my Nex 5 was unappealing colour balance and I didn't like having to dig through RAW files all the time! It also means no 6meg EXR mode. :(

I do wonder how this hasn't come up more with people as I found the reds to be a problem on quite a few pics from just one batch! I know not everyone spends their day shooting red lights but this was the easiest example I could get, as I said it came up under more normal conditions a few times as well! :(

MisterRigsby - really good street shot. It says loads. I love the photo reference on the phone box "snap" and the child turning round although terrified of the lamppost monster chasing them.

Looks precarious though... like the child is about to crash looking the wrong way. Is there a "what happened next" shot? hehe

I can only look in envy at the amazing X10 pictures here, but there's now no way I'd recommend the camera, owing to Fuji UK's contempt for its customers.

I sent my X10 off just over a month ago for the sensor replacement, and got it back after 2 weeks. When I took it out the box, the lens barrel fell off. I complained, and was assured that they'd attempt another repair, and return it in time for my holiday.

Since then there's again been no communication from them, but I did manage get through by phone this morning, and after being put on hold for a long time was told that Fuji UK had mislaid my camera (they confirmed it had been received by them for a second time). It's now too late to get it back for my holiday, and a promised call back from them hasn't materialised.

To say I'm angry is an understatement. I bought the camera direct from Fuji in March, and I now want a refund, although the chances of any kind of customer care look slim.

I realise others have had better experiences, but I note I'm not the only person here to have had issues with the Fuji UK repair process, and I feel justified in publicising their incompetence to my 2000 Twitter followers.

That certainly is a bad deal, but if I were you I would be onto them by phone demanding a new camera. I rang them after my camera hadnt been sent back to me after two weeks. The guy went away (I assume into the workshop) and came back to tell me the camera was done. Looks like it had been left on a bench
Anyhow, the camera arrived next day.
I understand how peeved you are but is posting on Twitter going to get your camera back?
Just be polite and firm with Fuji and you may be surprised at how good they are
Allan

jpatrick said:
I can only look in envy at the amazing X10 pictures here, but there's now no way I'd recommend the camera, owing to Fuji UK's contempt for its customers./QUOTE]

No your not on your own.

First I was told it would be a week, then it had been sent back to me and then I was emailed it had been delayed, then again told its on its way and now told its still with them. So a complete around the block story.

To make matters worse my back up camera, again a Fuji, has a lens fault and is also in for repairs. I brought this as a back up to cover my X10 but never checked it until the X10 went in for it's sensor replacement. I came to use it to get a few shots of my 6 week old son but the image was jumping around everywhere.

For now I have no camera and am hoping one will come back soon, as I have no decent camera to capture images of my growing son.

I assumed all was OK because Fuji's online tracking system had erroneously been showing all week that the camera was on its way back to me. Unfortunately now that Fuji has failed to get back to me as promised after chasing them earlier today, it's now too late to get my X10 in time for my holiday to Alaska.

Posting on Twitter serves the function of warning others thinking of buying a Fuji camera that there is a risk they will get poor service. I have already been polite and firm with them, and was assured they'd sort things out. They've unfortunately failed to do that.

When I phoned up last Friday (fuji had had the camera 5days) I was told that it was done and would be with me on Monday

When nothing turned up Monday, I phoned Tuesday morning to find out where it was and if they could provide a tracking number

I was told that there was an error In their system last week that was showing cameras as completed when they were not.

Mine was one of those not completed but should be completed towards the end of this week.

It better be, as it's my daughters 3rd birthday next Saturday and I'll be peeved if I don't have a camera for that!

I've not once received a email from fuji, not one even saying that they have taken delivery of the camera!

Getting anxious with all this now

I haven't got around to sending mine off as yet and with what I've been reading, I'm glad about that! I think I might wait for the rush to die down before I do. :shrug:

On a lighter note, here's a couple I took earlier.

One of Callie...
DSCF9401tp.jpg

And one of the steam railway in Aberystwyth...
DSCF9438tp.jpg

I haven't got around to sending mine off as yet and with what I've been reading, I'm glad about that! I think I might wait for the rush to die down before I do. :shrug:

On a lighter note, here's a couple I took earlier.

One of Callie...
DSCF9401tp.jpg

And one of the steam railway in Aberystwyth...
DSCF9438tp.jpg

You never disappoint... two great photos Si. She's too cute (y)

When I phoned up last Friday (fuji had had the camera 5days) I was told that it was done and would be with me on Monday

When nothing turned up Monday, I phoned Tuesday morning to find out where it was and if they could provide a tracking number

I was told that there was an error In their system last week that was showing cameras as completed when they were not.

Mine was one of those not completed but should be completed towards the end of this week.

It better be, as it's my daughters 3rd birthday next Saturday and I'll be peeved if I don't have a camera for that!

I've not once received a email from fuji, not one even saying that they have taken delivery of the camera!

Getting anxious with all this now

I sent mine off the same day as you - a week last Saturday but had an email, from Fuji, within a few days confirming they had taken delivery.

I also noticed, with their on site repair tracking, around last Friday it updated to indicate the camera was being returned imminently.

Called today and told the update on the web site was an error and that it would be middle of next week now.

So............ No key events but but it sure has again tarnished my experience of owning an X10. Especially with me having sold my other camera last week so apart from an Iphone I 'ain't' got 'nowt' with which to take a picture :(

Last edited:
The bokeh looks a little messy on that last one! :D

I'm going to try and take some more shots today too - bloody rain in the UK is ridiculous at the moment, it's so depressing I took a picture of my tea mug this morning and tried to make it look more "retro". I need some sunshine! :(

RetroMug.jpg

This thread needs more photo's! :)

Paul

Perhaps if Fuji returned our cameras they have confiscated we may get more :shake:

I'm going to try and take some more shots today too - bloody rain in the UK is ridiculous at the moment, it's so depressing I took a picture of my tea mug this morning and tried to make it look more "retro". I need some sunshine! :(

Carrying on your theme here's a cappuccino. I wonder if it will be warm enough today to sit outside and have one?

ChinaBlueCappucino.jpg

Some may think it a shame to muck about (PP) with pictures from this camera but I really can't help myself :cool:

SingleLadyonTorquayPromSepiad.jpg

DuskyPinkRoseatDartington-1.jpg

SimpleYellowFlowerWideView.jpg

I suspect that they are finding the sensor changes to be more problematic than they first thought. Mine has been gone two weeks now ... and it is a repeat repair for introduced faults.
But I am a long way from giving up on them.

OK, I think we all need a bit more sunshine, so to relieve the grey dankness (or to rub salt in the wounds, whichever), I'm posting a few more from our Holy Land trip. I probably should have remembered to take it out of Velvia before going, as the colours are saturated enough anyway!

1) This first is taken inside Herodion, a massive hill BUILT by Herod the Great (the hill, not just the palace inside), who apparently died in 4 BC (inconveniently for the biblical story about him).

DSCF13321.jpg

2) This is another shot outside the Old City walls (I did a portait version of this one before, but I think this works better).

DSCF1471.jpg

3) Just after that shot we came across a wedding shoot, Israeli-style. The groom was being posed with the previous view in the background.

DSCF1472.jpg

4) Inside the Old City we walked more or less through these ruined arches, before going into the Western Wall area (I'm not showing pics of that; somehow seems wrong).

DSCF1524.jpg

5) One for the nostalgia guys... (like me!).

DSCF15861.jpg

6) They really do have a taste for the colourful! Yes, this was Velvia but yes, this is pretty much the colours I remember...

DSCF1644.jpg

And just a few more...

7) It was easy to take photos at Masada, but hard to take ones that gave the feeling of being on this massive mountain-top fortress, built by Herod and occupied by Jewish Zealots, then besieged by the Romans for several years. Those little squares down the bottom of the cable car are two of the 8 camps the Romans built (they eventually took the fortress by building a massive earthen ramp up the side; just before the final assault the defenders all killed themselves).

DSCF1720.jpg

8) On the top of Masada; I really like the stripy effect in this shelter (it's HOT up there). The plain is 350m below sea level, so we're just about back to sea level at the top.

DSCF1758.jpg

9) Another of those extraordinary inaccessible monasteries built into cliffs; this one beside Jericho.

DSCF1954.jpg

10) We all had to cover shoulders and knees at religious sites. This was somewhere near the Sea of Galilee. I know there's a lot wrong with this composition (and would like some critique, please), but I really like the engagement between my wife and her friend.

DSCF2169.jpg

11) And Finally... the hat that blew off into the Sea of Galilee is restored to its owner (soaking wet)!

DSCF2292.jpg

All Old Sensor, of course! :D

Those picces tell a story. Looks like a memorable trip. (y)

The highlight / shadow detail looks really great, can't fault your technique (or the X10).
The wedding dress texture is superb. The fluorescent pink vegetables though!!!! :wacky:

Those picces tell a story. Looks like a memorable trip. (y)

The highlight / shadow detail looks really great, can't fault your technique (or the X10).
The wedding dress texture is superb. The fluorescent pink vegetables though!!!! :wacky:

Thanks Duncan. They really DO like wild colours. The weirdest was the day-old chicks for sale, spray-painted (presumably) in various bright colours (already posted, and in my gallery at http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=126280&title=holy-land-visit&cat=500. :shake:

Chris - that’s a great set. Love the way you told a travel journal with them all. The wedding photo has a real quality to it I can't quite place my finger on. Thanks for putting them up. Brought back some memories. Yes you're right - Masada is hard to scale. You've done it really well. The story regarding the Romans was impressive. I couldn't believe they basically built a mound to get to the top of the mountain... and for what? The Jews killed themselves. I think there was some comment by the Roman leader as he step into the fort and found them all dead - "what kind of victory is this". A lovely thought provoking addition to this thread. Fascinating stuff, great pictures and thanks so much for sharing :)

I'm off to cornwall in an hour or so.. so catch you all in a week and wish me luck with the weather hehe

Yeah, lovely pics, so hard to show scale in a photo where everything is flattened!

Blimey - the box finally arrived to send my X10 back to Fuji.
Took their time - I noted I'd rung them up 11 pages ago! :puke:

I think I wait a bit before sending my X10 off though.
Firstly, I'm covering another festival this weekend and the X10 is needed.
Secondly, Fuji don't seem to quite have their act together at the moment. Hopefully they are on the case and will get their problems sorted out!

Secondly, Fuji don't seem to quite have their act together at the moment. Hopefully they are on the case and will get their problems sorted out!

Yeah, if orbs aren't a big factor in your photo's it's probably not worth it for now, haven't seen any on mine yet with 22+ serial no but I really haven't tried to hard to find them! People often get caught up worrying about something that is unlikely to be a problem, they just know it's there... (actually I just changed my golf driver for that reason! I know I'm the problem but I just lost confidence in it!) :)

Edit* Oh, and Fuji just replied about my "pink reds" problem - they've asked me how they appear in Astia colour mode, interesting... I'll try the same shot of the mouse later!

Last edited:
Ive phoned them again today and have been told that the work has been done and its ready to be sent back to me. He said it probably wouldnt go out today but it should do on Monday and should be here Tuesday..

They will be getting a call on Wednesday if it isnt!

So, as the weather is horrid I thought I'd take some photo's in the kitchen while watching the tennis (ok, I snuck one outside while it was drier earlier, my garden isn't thrilling though). Figured it was a challenge where I'd have to be more abstract and "arty", I also switched to black & white for that reason... :)

DuncanDisorderly said:

Definatley wait, I have had a night mate with them. After a phone call today they admitted they had a higher return rate coupled with alignment issues. Looks more like a 3 week turn around at the moment if not more.

If anyone has had their sensor replaced better check that the images align ok as it seems it could effect any of the initial run.

Some nice images there Jimrod

The sun has been shining most of the day here so decided to post a pic from earlier today.

7515460134_c28b818dda_c.jpg

John, you mentioned alignment issues. I havent noticed anything wrong with my camera since it came back, how would I check the alignment?

Allan

allanm said:
ohn, you mentioned alignment issues. I havent noticed anything wrong with my camera since it came back, how would I check the alignment?

Allan

Allan,

All I would say is set the camera up level on a tripod with a plump line hanging in the field of view and check in appears vertical on the sensor.

I take it you have had the sensor replaced?

Back