The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

The sensor is allingned to many things
the lens
the optical viewfinder
the centre spot for focus and exposure.
the anti shake system.....
to name but a few
Most of these are multi dimensional alignments.

If they were getting any of these wrong the owner would have problems.

Spiritflier said:
I haven't got around to sending mine off as yet and with what I've been reading, I'm glad about that! I think I might wait for the rush to die down before I do. :shrug:

On a lighter note, here's a couple I took earlier.

One of Callie...

And one of the steam railway in Aberystwyth...

Si, the picture of Callie is an absolute dream shot. What an expression! Wonderful timing!

Allan,

All I would say is set the camera up level on a tripod with a plump line hanging in the field of view and check in appears vertical on the sensor.

I take it you have had the sensor replaced?

John, I did as you suggested and all appears to be ok. Terry, items in the centre of the optical viewfinder appear in the centre of the resultant image, so, to my eye, mine appears aligned ok. Mine was sent off as soon as the programme was started so maybe I got an in house tech to do it. I guess with so many coming in, they are having to either out source repairs or get people in to cope with the work.
Allan

paul williams said:

I would definitely get rid of the colour on the bus and just keep the red on the poppies in this one.

Sorry that the weather is so bad for you guys. Here's a little sunshine and colour to remind you why you bought the Fuji in the first place.

I love the colours it gives me - even if it is a bit of hard work sometimes.

Colours-002.jpg

Colours-001.jpg

Colours-7.jpg

And a couple more ...

Colours_005.jpg

Colours-006.jpg

Colours-003.jpg

I was even ok with this last one as I can never get flowers half way decently.

Colours-8.jpg

I'm considering going back to JPEG after shooting RAW for quite a while...

It is mainly due to the constraints of memory on my laptop. I have an external 1TB hard drive that I back up all my photographs on but what I end up doing is putting the Raw files on my laptop and external hard drive and then editing the RAWs in lightroom and exporting them as JPEG. After that I delete the RAW's from my laptop so I am left with the JPEGs that I am happy with on my laptop and the RAWs on my hard-drive. As you can tell, that's a bit of a faff if I decide I want to re-edit the photographs as I have to get the RAW's back off the external HD whereas if I am usting just JPEGs I can keep the originals on the laptop and then just export them as I want to use them.
The other thing is that editing the RAW's is becoming a little annoying. I don't mind for the odd shot but going through the development process for every image is becoming a bit of a drag (especially in situations like the other day when me and my gf went to a local seal sanctuary and I was taking a lot of shots of the seals).

The things that are making me doubt JPEG only is the ability to bring back problems in exposure (not always necessary but some lighting conditions are a bit horrible and this helps) and the fact that when I convert a JPEG to black and white using silver efex I get an awful texture on blown-out sections of the photograph if I use the structure sliders which I do like using alot. It is to do with the JPEG compression as it appears less in a TIFF and not at all with a RAW.

I thought about shooting RAW+JPEG but that just adds having to sort through each file to decide which I want JPEG and which I want RAW. I suppose I could shoot JPEG then switch to RAW when I think I might need it.

Decisions decisions... Do you reckon the JPEGs from the x10 will satisfy me? What do you guys think of the overall quality of the JPEGs from the x10? I don't have enough experience with digital photography and having my own digital camera to be a good judge.

Sorry for the ramble but thanks for any input, comments and suggestions you guys can give :)

I like the jpegs that the x10 produces and I have found in most cases, it takes a lot of work to get RAW files to look as good. So, I shoot 99% jpeg with the occasional RAW if I find the lighting tricky or I want to experiment.
Allan

And a couple more ...

Ali, what happened with the third one (skewiff tower with cross on top)? There are some strange artefacts in the sky: a white semi-circle (moon?) and some odd black marks that look for all the world like dust on a negative after scanning!

Ali, what happened with the third one (skewiff tower with cross on top)? There are some strange artefacts in the sky: a white semi-circle (moon?) and some odd black marks that look for all the world like dust on a negative after scanning!

The specs look like birds and some out of focus trees above the roof on the left. Looks like a job for Mr Clone!
Allan

LOL - good luck reading this thread :nuts:
It's fine to re-ask questions if you need some information :)

About 10% through this thread so far :nuts:

Had it's first little test at Qulton Park yesterday but wanted to test as a P&S and the video quality. Normally I would have the Fuji S5 Pro with a Nikon 17-55 for walking around the paddock. Used it mainly in P mode as I wanted to see how easy it would be to use if I let my Dad use it who is only used to a basic P&S.

1. My mate and some eye candy :D

Neil and totty II by foggy4ever, on Flickr

2. Bid ED entertaining the crowd

Big Ed by foggy4ever, on Flickr

3. Mechanic rebuilding a bike

Mechanic at work by foggy4ever, on Flickr

4. James Haydon interviewing a rider.

James Haydon by foggy4ever, on Flickr

and finally some video, best watched on you tube at 720 HD

[YOUTUBE]aLSKP83A_70&feature[/YOUTUBE]

In conclusion so far I have really enjoyed using it as a P&S and look forward to putting it to a real test soon.

Some great pics there!

Thought I would drop in and see how this thread was going! I sent my X10 off a,week or so ago and looking forward to its return, will check out alignment issues, so thanks Duncan!

I ensured that I had several weeks clear that I was unlikely to need it for before sending it. I understand people's frustration but you have to expect a delay with repairs with so many going back. Don't get so worked up about it, they will repair it and return it just might take a little time.

I would much prefer them taking their time and getting it right :)

My X10 is now my sole camera. I have sold my 40D and lenses and I love the little thing, just need to work at getting the mist out of it when it gets back, I got lazy relying on EXR mode because its so good!

Those 'artefacts' are indeed the moon and some birds. As a snapshot of the time and place this picture reminds me of the how it was at the time; with the moon just after sunset and all the birds merrily swooping around and hopefully feasting on pesky insects so there are fewer around to bite me!

AllanM, Mr Clone was asking for 'time and a half' to work on this one and I didn't think it was worth the extra expense :shrug:

cant keep letting the x100 thread get above us! ;) Had a little walk earlier in between showers. Wheatfield in the rain...

I just purchased a new X10 a week or so ago and came across this web site after searching for some info on the camera. Im not a big fan of DPR and found this site to be refreshing and full of good info and help. . Anyway just wanted to say hey and will post some photos soon. Just got home from vacation in NY so I'm eager to see how the photos came out. I did all sorts of testing with different settings.

Last edited:
Wow nice clean photos. Would you mine sharing how you have your X10 setup for these? What mode were they shot in? They look very sharp and clean.

About 10% through this thread so far :nuts:

Had it's first little test at Qulton Park yesterday but wanted to test as a P&S and the video quality. Normally I would have the Fuji S5 Pro with a Nikon 17-55 for walking around the paddock. Used it mainly in P mode as I wanted to see how easy it would be to use if I let my Dad use it who is only used to a basic P&S.

1. My mate and some eye candy :D

Neil and totty II by foggy4ever, on Flickr

2. Bid ED entertaining the crowd

Big Ed by foggy4ever, on Flickr

3. Mechanic rebuilding a bike

Mechanic at work by foggy4ever, on Flickr

4. James Haydon interviewing a rider.

James Haydon by foggy4ever, on Flickr

and finally some video, best watched on you tube at 720 HD

[YOUTUBE]aLSKP83A_70&feature[/YOUTUBE]

In conclusion so far I have really enjoyed using it as a P&S and look forward to putting it to a real test soon.

I just purchased a new X10 a week or so ago and came across this web site after searching for some info on the camera. Im not a big fan of DPR and found this site to be refreshing and full of good info and help. . Anyway just wanted to say hey and will post some photos soon. Just got home from vacation in NY so I'm eager to see how the photos came out. I did all sorts of testing with different settings.

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. We're a friendly bunch here. There were a few misguided souls that sold theirs, but we all love our X10's here.
Look forward to seeing some vacation pics
Allan

Thank you....I did my research before buying and was full aware of all the orb issues etc. I have no plans on selling :).

I do have a quick question...

I dumped all my photos and in the modes that I have raw+jpeg I was viewing them in Lightroom and noticed that the RAW files seems to stretch a little left to right compared to the same jpeg when viewing on the screen. They are the same size at 4000x3000. Anyone notice that?

ok here is the first photo. My son was happy to pose for my first portrait using my X10.

7540145260_213f74771e_c.jpg

Last edited:
I do have a quick question...

I dumped all my photos and in the modes that I have raw+jpeg I was viewing them in Lightroom and noticed that the RAW files seems to stretch a little left to right compared to the same jpeg when viewing on the screen. They are the same size at 4000x3000. Anyone notice that?

Hi Joe and welcome. I'm here roughly via the same route as you; first some unpleasant experiences at DPR, then finding TP and feeling like I've come home. People are indeed much friendlier, and the moderators take action if there is any unpleasantness (not that I've seen any at all, especially here).

I believe what you are seeing may be the result of in-camera distortion correction for the JPEGs, which shaves a few pixels off the ends.

I did enjoy your first few pics. Hang in there, it's a great camera, and it looks like you can take advantage of it!

(There is a fair amount of UK orientation here, but OTOH I've seen several members from other countries getting good value as well.)

Cincojoe said:
Couple more...trying to get the hang of Lightroom 4.

What's that bright round thing on the photo in the sky?.... I think I remember us having something like that in the UK but having seen it for a while :)

I got mine back from Fuji a while ago, after the sensor replacement, but haven't had the chance to use it much.........but all seems OK. Here are couple I took yesterday evening:

Lost in thought........ by Keith Burton, on Flickr

Shopping fatigue........ by Keith Burton, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithburton/7537702398/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithburton/7537702398/

I doubt I'd have got these shots using the D3, unless I'd used the 70-200mm lens. People don't seem to notice me using the X10, or if they do, they don't care.

I am continually impressed by the standard of photos on this thread - although I don't always have time to say so. Keep 'em coming folks:)

Last edited:
Phall82 said:
What's that bright round thing on the photo in the sky?.... I think I remember us having something like that in the UK but having seen it for a while :)

IT'S AN ORB !!!!! Aaaarrrggghh!

Wow nice clean photos. Would you mine sharing how you have your X10 setup for these? What mode were they shot in? They look very sharp and clean.

Hi Joe, 1,3 were in P and 2,4 in Auto.

I purchased mine second hand and have been through the manual and the settings from the first owner and have left it alone for now. I've left the settings on normal/standard/auto to see how it would perform as a Point and Shoot and so far so good.

Hi Joe, 1,3 were in P and 2,4 in Auto.

I purchased mine second hand and have been through the manual and the settings from the first owner and have left it alone for now. I've left the settings on normal/standard/auto to see how it would perform as a Point and Shoot and so far so good.

Thanks, they look good. Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

That would the source of the heat wave that hit the east coast this past week. It was 100+ for several days. :thumbsdown:

Hi Joe and welcome. I'm here roughly via the same route as you; first some unpleasant experiences at DPR, then finding TP and feeling like I've come home. People are indeed much friendlier, and the moderators take action if there is any unpleasantness (not that I've seen any at all, especially here).

I believe what you are seeing may be the result of in-camera distortion correction for the JPEGs, which shaves a few pixels off the ends.

I did enjoy your first few pics. Hang in there, it's a great camera, and it looks like you can take advantage of it!

(There is a fair amount of UK orientation here, but OTOH I've seen several members from other countries getting good value as well.)

Thanks for the welcome.

Well Im not happy.
I still dont have my X10 back and every time i phone I get a different response.

I phoned yesterday on my mobile and was told that the work was completed and just as he said it the phone lost signal and the call dropped. So, i phoned back on the house phone and got told that it hasn't been completed but shouldn't be too long now...

Its crazy, how can i be told its been completed one minute and then minutes later be told that its not! Its my daughters 3rd birthday on Sunday and im going to be without a camera now as I cant see it coming back in the next two days.

Im nto happy at all..

Well Im not happy.
I still dont have my X10 back and every time i phone I get a different response.

I phoned yesterday on my mobile and was told that the work was completed and just as he said it the phone lost signal and the call dropped. So, i phoned back on the house phone and got told that it hasn't been completed but shouldn't be too long now...

Its crazy, how can i be told its been completed one minute and then minutes later be told that its not! Its my daughters 3rd birthday on Sunday and im going to be without a camera now as I cant see it coming back in the next two days.

Im nto happy at all..

I gather you're not happy :p

You may remember I sent mine away the same day as you and last week was told I should get it back the middle of this week but like you 'no show' so far. I will give it until Friday morning and if not back will chase but really can do without this stress right now. Others have said give them a chance but my tolerant nature is being stretched especially when they said about one week turn round and it's now heading towards three weeks. And there is no updating on the web link?

Ah well better make sure we wait in 24/7 in case it comes :(

You could always send for another from Fuji web site and when yours is back send the newer one back under the 7 days DSR? Or is that being naughty?

I stumbled across this blog review comparing these four cameras and whilst it is one persons view I wonder if he has valid points or his argument is flawed?

"Fuji X10 vs Olympus XZ-1 vs Panasonic LX5 vs Canon G12 – How close are they at 100 ISO?"b
http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2011/12/fuji-x10-vs-olympus-xz-1-vs-panasonic.html

Any review based on the DPR X10 samples rather than a real camera should be ignored.

I've always been HIGHLY suspicious of those DPReview samples.
If you look at them, the noise levels don't change from ISO 100 to 400; they do on my X10.
DPR don't quote the settings they used - my guess is they fluffed them and the X10 is in DR400.
Also - DPR only took JPEG, when pixel peeping there is a world of difference between JPEG and RAW.
Why DPR haven't gone back and finished their review is anybodies guess.

As for the moire - I've only ever experienced it using 6mp. What I've referred to earlier in this thread as 'jaggies'. I've taken plenty of shots where aliasing and moire should have been evident and shot at 12mp there is no problem; even when pixel peeping.

Well Im not happy.

I've still got my Fuji return box sat next to me and have no intention of using it until you lot start making happy noises.
No way I want to be without my Fuji for so long AND deal with poor customer relations AND risk getting the X10 back in a worse state than I sent it to them.

Any review based on the DPR X10 samples rather than a real camera should be ignored.

I've always been HIGHLY suspicious of those DPReview samples.
If you look at them, the noise levels don't change from ISO 100 to 400; they do on my X10.
DPR don't quote the settings they used - my guess is they fluffed them and the X10 is in DR400.
Also - DPR only took JPEG, when pixel peeping there is a world of difference between JPEG and RAW.
Why DPR haven't gone back and finished their review is anybodies guess.

As for the moire - I've only ever experienced it using 6mp. What I've referred to earlier in this thread as 'jaggies'. I've taken plenty of shots where aliasing and moire should have been evident and shot at 12mp there is no problem; even when pixel peeping.

Even taking those samples at face value - when you check the same shots at 800 ISO+ the X10 stays composed while the Olympus turns to mush. So if you were to shoot in bright sunlight all the time then great, but otherwise in the real world the X10 would be more flexible!

With my recent X10 sensor replacement experience and the use of hind sight, I would stick with it as it came and not bother.

I too got the complete run around on the status of repair. Persist in your calls to Fuji and it will get pushed up the que. After many phone calls I got mine back with an email attached to the camera requesting a prompt return, which in their haste they left attached to the camera. It even had a hand written comment URGENT!.

Last edited:
It gets worse guys... They want mine back due to a "software issue" causing the sensor to be noisy.. Maybe this explains some of the remarks on noisy images?
Here's a copy of the email I received today.

Thank you for your patience in waiting for the new sensor to become
available for your FUJIFILM X10 camera and we hope that you have enjoyed
using it since we returned it to you.

Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that when shooting using
particular settings, a limited number of sensors may produce a grainy
(noisy) image. The settings are not commonly used (low ISO, high DR and M
file size), so you may not have noticed this problem arise.

However, we are anxious to correct this issue. All it needs is a very
quick and simple software adjustment, which, unfortunately, needs to be
done at our Service Centre. We will not need to open up or disassemble
your camera, just update the software to correct this one bug. This issue
affects a limited number of cameras handled by our UK Service Centre, which
acts as a service hub for the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Denmark,
Holland, Sweden, Finland, Austria and Switzerland.

We are very sorry to cause this disturbance again. We are happy to make
this adjustment whenever you are able to leave the camera with us for a few
days. We will send you out a protective postal bag as soon as you contact
us, and we will return the camera as soon as we can. Of course, the
delivery costs will be met by us.

Got that email today too. Think I'll wait a while before I send mine in ....again...
At least they are being upfront and admitting there is a problem.

Allan

Back