The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

After reading all of the hassles people seem to be having, I think I'm going to keep my X10 as it is... :bang:

I was of the opinion in the first place that this whole problem was overrated and I stand by that. The X10 is an incredibly enjoyable little camera and as a wise man once said; "if it ain't broke..." ;)

It gets worse guys... They want mine back due to a "software issue" causing the sensor to be noisy.. Maybe this explains some of the remarks on noisy images?
Here's a copy of the email I received today.

Thank you for your patience in waiting for the new sensor to become
available for your FUJIFILM X10 camera and we hope that you have enjoyed
using it since we returned it to you.

Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that when shooting using
particular settings, a limited number of sensors may produce a grainy
(noisy) image. The settings are not commonly used (low ISO, high DR and M
file size), so you may not have noticed this problem arise.

However, we are anxious to correct this issue. All it needs is a very
quick and simple software adjustment, which, unfortunately, needs to be
done at our Service Centre. We will not need to open up or disassemble
your camera, just update the software to correct this one bug. This issue
affects a limited number of cameras handled by our UK Service Centre, which
acts as a service hub for the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Denmark,
Holland, Sweden, Finland, Austria and Switzerland.

We are very sorry to cause this disturbance again. We are happy to make
this adjustment whenever you are able to leave the camera with us for a few
days. We will send you out a protective postal bag as soon as you contact
us, and we will return the camera as soon as we can. Of course, the
delivery costs will be met by us.

Me too...........damned annoying, but I think I'll hold fast, the circumstances they describe are unlikely to apply to the shooting I'll do and I don't want to be without the camera again.

Last edited:
i got the email today as well but makes no difference to me as i don't get time to use it anyway :crying:

After reading all of the hassles people seem to be having, I think I'm going to keep my X10 as it is... :bang:

I'd like to have to modification; but I just don't want to risk it at the moment.
I'm going to wait for Fuji to stabilise first.

Here's a classic example of Orbs from a few days ago.
First the 100% crop
i-mL29N2F-X3.jpg

Here's the straight out the camera RAW via LR4
i-ngBNj7V-M.jpg

The Orb is annoying once spotted, but actually doesn't detract too much from the image.
I used one of the set in the festival gallery as it represents the end of the final encore from the last concert of the festival - twas brilliant.
Here's the one I used in the gallery http://www.priddyfolk.org/cpg/displayimage.php?album=8&pid=868#top_display_media

And to keep this thread light hearted.
Here's me moments before I took that orb shot.
A 5DIII with 24-105 around my neck, 5DII with 135mm f2 in a waist pouch and the X10 on the rucksack belt.
X10 was being used at arms length above the crowd stood next to the speaker stack.
Yes, I know the self-tan didn't work - and yes, I am wearing a party hat.
i-8q7DxDM-M.jpg

Image courtesy of fellow festival snapper Alan Cole.

Last edited:
just got that email too! jeez. Well im defenitly on no rush this time as i just sent my D800 back for focus repair and ive never noticed this problem anyway. Im off to the lakes in a couple of weeks so if i dont get my nikon back i'll be shafted without this too.

What has gone wrong with quality control on cameras this year, nikon canon and fuji have all borked it up!

And to keep this thread light hearted.
Here's me moments before I took that orb shot.
A 5DIII with 24-105 around my neck, 5DII with 135mm f2 in a waist pouch and the X10 on the rucksack belt.
X10 was being used at arms length above the crowd stood next to the speaker stack.
Yes, I know the self-tan didn't work - and yes, I am wearing a party hat.
i-8q7DxDM-M.jpg

Image courtesy of fellow festival snapper Alan Cole.

Yes Duncan we are all relying on you for leadership ;)

And good to see what you look like and was it airbrushed to make you look more handsome :clap:

my camera is also the second time on a journey. when i got mine back after 3 weeks the first time i made 4 pictures and the rubber for the thumb went down. it was only fixed with a tape. And because the noise of the new replaced sensor is unaccapteble for me, i asked for a second repair or money replacment. i attached a sample picture and annother picture from the gone rubber. next day i got an email where they apologized and said a failure happened that i will get a new camera. hopefully it will be there tomororw and even more hopefully everything will be alright.

@duncan: yeah they are annoying when they happened arent they :( still can recummend the topaz plugin star effects to retouche them a little bit you look cool by the way with your airbrushed face :)

Yes Duncan we are all relying on you for leadership ;)

And good to see what you look like and was it airbrushed to make you look more handsome :clap:

LOL - I was told it hid the bags under my eyes very nicely.
Too many late nights and early starts.
Festivals are a lot of fun; but utterly knackering!

I much prefer this one taken by my Mum on a vintage Fuji f32fd.
You can't see me very well, and I'm quite happy with that ;)
20120105-111554-DSCF1624-S.jpg

The Fuji f32fd is a monumentally good pocket camera, even by the standards set by the X10. I've used it instead of my own camera when she's been complaining it is acting oddly. In good light the image quality is most excellent.
As for the burned out highlights in the image, the 5DII was doing that too; I had to drastically underexpose then lift the shadows (most of the image) way more than is sensible.
I got this from the 5DII, the shadows still look rubbish but the image is telling a story about the light on the wave tops.
That light needed monumentally huge dynamic range!
20120105-111409-IMG0588-M.jpg

And whoops....
I've gone off topic again. :bonk:

I cannot remember if it was possible before I sent my camera in but the custom display and guide lines do not show up on the LCD display in EXR mode, I thought they did !

Nice shots Colt ;) (For an unknown stuntman you're quite well known!)

I have to get some nicer flower pics, every time I've tried there's been 30mph gusts that make it near impossible to get a really crisp shot...

The DPR review is up now, silver award 76% - about right I think. The camera isn't perfect but it does a lot of things very well (and the ones that matter to me - colour, metering, lens a lot better than my previous Sony Nex 5!). There are of course many troll comments following the review but they really do need to get lives, or at least another camera if they hate it so much... :D

The DPR review is up now, silver award 76% - about right I think. The camera isn't perfect but it does a lot of things very well (and the ones that matter to me - colour, metering, lens a lot better than my previous Sony Nex 5!). There are of course many troll comments following the review but they really do need to get lives, or at least another camera if they hate it so much... :D

Yes, a fair and interesting detailed review. I think I learned a few things I didn't know (keeps happening!). It's at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10

My camera's back YAY! and in time for my daughters birthday Sunday.
All the pestering I did must have paid off.
I was at work when it was delivered this morning at 7.40 so it will have to wait until tonight for me to inspect it.

I was at work when it was delivered this morning at 7.40 so it will have to wait until tonight for me to inspect it.

Fingers crossed for you! :)

Fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanks;

With regards to the email people are getting about the software update due to noisy images. What are the chances that my camera (shipped yesterday) has already had the new software update applied and wont need sending back?

The only reason i ask, is because i've never had any emails from fuji through this whole repair process so probably wont if it does need to go back for the update..

Glad to hear it's back and hoping mine may come today as family from away are staying for long weekend and no other camera :(

Well part from old iphone 3 :)

I promise I am NOT posting this to wind, you guys with an X10, up as I have one myself but as said in threads on TP is isn't suiting me because of my ability (physically) to use it. I use a walking stick, or sometimes two, and for very very short distances and a wheelchair for other times.

So a decision is nearly made that we will keep the X10, as it does take stunning pictures, but it will be used mostly by my wife. She is starting off in photography so it will spend most of its time in auto -- but that's OK. But I will still have it available for me :D

Back to me I really need to get a quality compact that can more easily be used one handed - turn on, or off, zoom, not to have to take on, and to take off the lens cap.

So the question is (please) and I really could do with help here is what would you have if you couldn't have an X10. It seems to me that in the running are Canon S95/S100 but scared they are too small, Canon G12 with slightly bigger form than the X10 and the Nikon P7100 again similar to the G12 but with that extra bit of optical zoom.

We just sold a Panny G2 as too big for me and just didn't care for it so no bigger than G12 size and so where do I look. I can read reviews until I am blue in the face but value the real experience of folks on this forum and on on this thread where I usually hang out - so :help::help::help:

Yes, a fair and interesting detailed review. I think I learned a few things I didn't know (keeps happening!). It's at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x10

Blimey - that's fairly upbeat.
A couple of things surprised me.

Battery Life - Mine is WAY better than 270 shots per battery. I reckon 350-400. The initial battery life was about 270 but improved dramatically.

RAW v JPEG image quality - what the heck is going on here! Their image samples show the fine detail in the RAW is terrible, even ACR which I use as part of LR4.
I feel the need to do some more testing, but I don't recall seeing a difference when I was taking both RAW + JPEG before deciding to only take RAW.
I'm away from my image library at the moment, so I can't have a quick look.
Any of you lot noticed this?

This surprised me - "Unexpectedly, perhaps the most persistent annoyance in day to day use of the X10 is simply waking the camera from sleep. By default, this requires you to press and hold the shutter button for a second or two. Those used to waking their camera with a quick press may be left scratching their heads initially when they get no response from the X10."
I didn't know you could do this. I always turn off the camera using the lens dial when I'm done with it.
Maybe this is where their poor battery life came from?
If I had left the camera on long enough to go to sleep, then I'd turn it off and back on rather than this shutter button magic.

Chris - what was new to you ?

Last edited:

Battery Life - Mine is WAY better than 270 shots per battery. I reckon 350-400. The initial battery life was about 270 but improved dramatically.

RAW v JPEG image quality - what the heck is going on here! Their image samples show the fine detail in the RAW is terrible, even ACR which I use as part of LR4.
I feel the need to do some more testing, but I don't recall seeing a difference when I was taking both RAW + JPEG before deciding to only take RAW.

Same here with Raw/Jpeg - I tried to post about it in the DPR thread but was subject to the usual attacks from the usual crowd, I argued the point but the most agro guy's threads were deleted and some of my replies with them. For me the only problem with Photoshop Raw and the X10 is that lens distortion correction isn't factored in.

I cannot remember if it was possible before I sent my camera in but the custom display and guide lines do not show up on the LCD display in EXR mode, I thought they did !

Could any one answer this for me please?
Many thanks
Jon

This surprised me - "Unexpectedly, perhaps the most persistent annoyance in day to day use of the X10 is simply waking the camera from sleep. By default, this requires you to press and hold the shutter button for a second or two. Those used to waking their camera with a quick press may be left scratching their heads initially when they get no response from the X10."
I didn't know you could do this. I always turn off the camera using the lens dial when I'm done with it.
If I had left the camera on long enough to go to sleep, then I'd turn it off and back on rather than this shutter button magic.

I agree about the battery life...
When I get mine back I am going to test the raw situation again. But previously I had given up on the RAW as I had found it hard to impossible to match the Jpeg quality. with ACR and the supplied raw software is diabolical.

I can not imagine why they don't give their codex to Adobe and others for that sensor.

I think that it was very good of them to go through this thread and summarise all the information into one place for us. :D

LOL - you are right :D
There is so much RIGHT about that review that my grumbles are more like nit-picking.

Just a nagging doubt that if the battery life and RAW IQ issues were suddenly to become a non-problem, then the X10 would get a Gold review result :naughty:

Many thanks
Jon

Jon, mine's been converted, but Alexander White's book says (p52) that the custom display is unavailable in EXR Auto mode, though available in all other modes. He's been proved wrong on at least one thing (can't remember what, see somewhere above), but I think I may have seen this somewhere else, too.

I used to leave the camera to go to sleep between shots, but then I realised that it was doing a lot of 'work' until it did sleep and I was getting really lousy battery performance. If I could have put the lens cap on between uses it might not have been so bad. Now I do switch it off manually.

It was a long and complicated review, and there were a couple of things that I can't remember, but I do remember noting their comments about DR and L vs M mode for further investigation. I've stuck with M mode so as to get the EXR goodies, and have not been bothered by the moire "jaggies" you mentioned, but have occasionally found 6 MP to be a bit of a limit when cropping. So, further investigation, as I said.

I'm trying to read the whole of Alex White's book (currently about half way through), but my "serious reading" time has been taken over by promising to review a book on archiving personal digital collections by next week!

Many thanks
Jon

They do on mine. Check what the display is set up for. Press disp/back button and scroll to C.

If this isn't working then I think you can set C to have various things on; but I can't remember where it is offhand.

Back to me I really need to get a quality compact that can more easily be used one handed - turn on, or off, zoom, not to have to take on, and to take off the lens cap.

So the question is (please) and I really could do with help here is what would you have if you couldn't have an X10. It seems to me that in the running are Canon S95/S100 but scared they are too small, Canon G12 with slightly bigger form than the X10 and the Nikon P7100 again similar to the G12 but with that extra bit of optical zoom.

We just sold a Panny G2 as too big for me and just didn't care for it so no bigger than G12 size and so where do I look. I can read reviews until I am blue in the face but value the real experience of folks on this forum and on on this thread where I usually hang out - so :help::help::help:

John, when you say to use one-handed, could that be either hand or just the left? The reason I ask is that for a long while I could only use a camera one/left-handed, and a lot of cameras have an auto-popup flash on the left that can be a real problem. I wanted a S95 at the time (although as you hint it's a little too slim to hold comfortably in one hand), and some of the shots I've seen from it are great, but I couldn't see myself easily using the control ring one-handed, and the flash was a problem. At least with the X10 you control whether it's up or not (and rarely need it AFAICS).

I've never used a G12 but I did try one in a shop once and it felt plasticky and bulky. Maybe someone's tried the Oly XZ-1? Or hang on for a Sony RX100? I did have a Sony DSC-P200 which was really excellent in image quality, and its low, fat shape was perfect for completely one-handed operation... but I dropped it on a tiled floor after some 5 years and it stopped working. I then bought a Canon Ixus 210 which size-wise is great, and again easy to use one-handed, but the image quality is woeful with colour aberation where they just ought not to be! Luckily I found the X10 just fitted the remaining right hand function, so I'm a happy bunny!

Oh, what about a Nikon J1? Just not quite right for my hands, but the build and image quality seem excellent...

Best of luck with your choice. I found the local Jessops was very happy to spend quite a long time (on several weekdays) helping me try out various options in the hand. Affordance is SO important with a functional problem... but image quality, too, not so easy to tell in the shop!

Chris thanks so much for your input - much appreciated

I tend to use the stick with my right hand but when taking pics I need to stop and lean against something solid to keep my balance and so use my stick in my left hand to prop myself up almost like a 'tripod'. If I am in 'two stick' mode I doubt I would even want to try and take pics. Then in 'wheelchair' mode I am sure my wife (the engine) would get fed up with me faffing - that's why she is showing interest in photography so we can both faff at the same time :D

I think part of my problem is going to be that I have experienced how good the X10 takes photographs and am using that as a benchmark and other cameras are falling short!!!! But I must force myself into something and make the inevitable compromise that will bring.

The Oly XZ-1 looks good but has a lens cap. Looking a bit more on reviews, in the past hour or so, I feel the tilting, or articulating LCD would be good as I like the usual 'flower and low level' shots but can't bend (without falling over) so this would be very useful. Until we sold the Panny G2 I did try that feature but the pics weren't a patch on the X10.

The J1 looks nice but would have a lens cap on/off faff. I have an auto lens cap, for the X10, but feel it gets in the way of the zoom ring and taking it off, after a shooting session, could be a problem as it needs a fair bit of ooomph and could pull the whole lens ring off!!

When I first joined TP I was looking forward to my first DSLR so bought a Nikon D3100 but too heavy and I couldn't even hold it up so sent back. Next was a Panasonic G3 which isn't heavy but for me was. Next a Canon S95 but too far the other way. Hence the X10 (Duncan gets the blame yet again :LOL:). I am a nightmare for shops with my sending back but where I live in South Devon there are so few shops that have the actual camera and have a working battery in them if they do.

Again thanks and again sorry if I am off topic so forgive me everyone :)

I just popped in to see what the reaction was to the review at DPReview. :)

I wanted a S95 at the time (although as you hint it's a little too slim to hold comfortably in one hand), and some of the shots I've seen from it are great, but I couldn't see myself easily using the control ring one-handed, and the flash was a problem. At least with the X10 you control whether it's up or not (and rarely need it AFAICS).

The flash on the S95 can be left off, in the down position in the body. That feature is one of the reasons I chose that over a Fuji F500. The control ring can be seen as a good addition to control, rather than needed. In Auto mode though, that may not be the case. I don't use Auto so don't know. :shrug:

As with most cameras, one (right) handed use is pretty good. I'd check the size to see if it would be too small. If the size is OK and you want quality, then the Sony RX100, which design wise is virtually a S95 copy.

I always turn off the camera using the lens dial when I'm done with it.

If you are using it for 'street shooting' then you aren't done with using it until you go home. For that sort of thing I found I had to keep half pressing the shutter to keep the camera awake. Even then, once the battery had been charged a few times around 300 shots was doable.

I was pleased to read in the review that it's not just me who is annoyed by the info bar at the bottom always being visible and making framing difficult when you are taking a picture.

Well mine has just this minute come back to me after it's two week "makeover holiday" at Fuji.
Initial inspection shows it to be in the same box that I sent it in, it still has the GGS glass screen protector on, the original battery and lens cap.

The camera is completely clean and in good working order, with no sign of dust on the inside of the lens.

The job cards says that the CMOS sensor was replaced and the Focal Scale adjusted.

First impressions, I am fairly impressed with what Fuji have done here, but of course, proof will be in the pudding.

If I have any complaint, it is the lack of communication from Fuji. Other than email to confirm receipt in the first place, I have had no further communication. It was only by pure luck that I was in when ****** Link delivered it back this afternoon.

Nevermind, it's back now, so time to go play.

Jon, mine's been converted, but Alexander White's book says (p52) that the custom display is unavailable in EXR Auto mode, though available in all other modes. He's been proved wrong on at least one thing (can't remember what, see somewhere above), but I think I may have seen this somewhere else, too.

Thanks Chris

They do on mine. Check what the display is set up for. Press disp/back button and scroll to C.

If this isn't working then I think you can set C to have various things on; but I can't remember where it is offhand.

Ali,

C is unavailable in EXR mode now, it sounds like, from Chris it is not a valid option.

I know I have had the grid-lines on in EXR mode but cannot get them back on :bang:

John, the RX100 is due for release on 1st August, only a couple of weeks away! The sample images available look pretty good.... You're right I think that the Nikon J1 would mean a lens cap.

Only had a quick look at my returned camera and it looks good. Can't see any dust and the body looks immaculate

On the repair sheet it says that they have replaced the CMOS sensor and adjusted the focal length meter... Anyone know what that is ?

Chris thanks so much for your input - much appreciated

I tend to use the stick with my right hand but when taking pics I need to stop and lean against something solid to keep my balance and so use my stick in my left hand to prop myself up almost like a 'tripod'. If I am in 'two stick' mode I doubt I would even want to try and take pics. Then in 'wheelchair' mode I am sure my wife (the engine) would get fed up with me faffing - that's why she is showing interest in photography so we can both faff at the same time :D

I think part of my problem is going to be that I have experienced how good the X10 takes photographs and am using that as a benchmark and other cameras are falling short!!!! But I must force myself into something and make the inevitable compromise that will bring.

The Oly XZ-1 looks good but has a lens cap. Looking a bit more on reviews, in the past hour or so, I feel the tilting, or articulating LCD would be good as I like the usual 'flower and low level' shots but can't bend (without falling over) so this would be very useful. Until we sold the Panny G2 I did try that feature but the pics weren't a patch on the X10.

The J1 looks nice but would have a lens cap on/off faff. I have an auto lens cap, for the X10, but feel it gets in the way of the zoom ring and taking it off, after a shooting session, could be a problem as it needs a fair bit of ooomph and could pull the whole lens ring off!!

When I first joined TP I was looking forward to my first DSLR so bought a Nikon D3100 but too heavy and I couldn't even hold it up so sent back. Next was a Panasonic G3 which isn't heavy but for me was. Next a Canon S95 but too far the other way. Hence the X10 (Duncan gets the blame yet again :LOL:). I am a nightmare for shops with my sending back but where I live in South Devon there are so few shops that have the actual camera and have a working battery in them if they do.

Again thanks and again sorry if I am off topic so forgive me everyone :)

John, I bought a Nikon P7000 when it first came out and was very impressed with it, especially after the firmware update, so much so that my Dad ( now 89) bought one on my recommendation. He since sold it and upgraded to a P7100 for the articulated screen and other updates. He says image quality is better than the P7000, and the Nikon lens is as sharp as a pin. IQ is really excellent, no lens cap, feels sturdy and the longer zoom ( than the G12) make it a real good deal. Its not a big sensor by any means, but gives very good results. I dont think its so far off what an X10 produces, it also looks a little like the Fuji.
Maybe worth popping into Jessops if you can, to have a look.

Allan

Oh Great, another update for which it needs to go back to Fuji. Had this e-mail this morning.

Thank you for your patience in waiting for the new sensor to become
available for your FUJIFILM X10 camera and we hope that you have enjoyed
using it since we returned it to you.

Unfortunately, it has come to our attention that when shooting using
particular settings, a limited number of sensors may produce a grainy
(noisy) image. The settings are not commonly used (low ISO, high DR and M
file size), so you may not have noticed this problem arise.

However, we are anxious to correct this issue. All it needs is a very
quick and simple software adjustment, which, unfortunately, needs to be
done at our Service Centre. We will not need to open up or disassemble
your camera, just update the software to correct this one bug. This issue
affects a limited number of cameras handled by our UK Service Centre, which
acts as a service hub for the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Denmark,
Holland, Sweden, Finland, Austria and Switzerland.

We are very sorry to cause this disturbance again. We are happy to make
this adjustment whenever you are able to leave the camera with us for a few
days. We will send you out a protective postal bag as soon as you contact
us, and we will return the camera as soon as we can. Of course, the
delivery costs will be met by us.

Please contact us either on our helpline 0844 553 2322 or the email address
‘Xseries@fuji.co.uk’.

Once again, we are very sorry for this trouble. We want to make sure that
the FUJIFILM X10 produces the very best results, and were keen to let you
know of this issue as soon as we could.

Kind regards
Ben Barker
Customer Service Manager
FUJIFILM UK

Don't think I'll bother.
First camera I had back was the wrong one but the flash was sticky and the lens grated so sent it back for my original and the next one I had wasn't mine either. I called and told them and they just said yes that was my camera. It works fine so I'm keeping it even though I've had 2 pre-pay box and envelopes from Fuji in the same day with no reasons or letter with them.

Ali,

C is unavailable in EXR mode now, it sounds like, from Chris it is not a valid option.

I know I have had the grid-lines on in EXR mode but cannot get them back on :bang:

Sorry to hear that. Has anyone else who had had the sensor change noticed the same thing?

Back