The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Smashing - what lovely quality images!

Pete

Another post to keep us all on our toes! (y)

All absolutely superb - well done Yvonne :clap:

:plus1:
Fantastic set!

Thanks guys, I think you are being very generous, but appreciated never the less! (y)

Peking Duck
8251191100_a43a822582_b.jpg

Manchester China Town

I love this, its exactly the kind of shot I enjoy. A slightly wider view might have been even better, but the movement blur combined with the background works for me :clap:

My Fuji X10 continues to amaze me, this was shot in EXR mode. Went out yesterday for a challenging walk up the face of Grasmoor in the Lake District. The weather was amazing apart from at the top! I put a few more on this thread here!

Grasmoor Fell by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

(y) Love it, your eyes move naturally through it and tricky light well captured.

Love these two. First for the composition and reflection of the ride that continues the straight line of the wall and curves it away to the right. The second for the POV, composition and movement :)

Now this just made me giggle. Since when have penguins started wearing Cod Pieces!? The brommies are deviant I tell you :LOL:

My Fuji X10 continues to amaze me, this was shot in EXR mode. Went out yesterday for a challenging walk up the face of Grasmoor in the Lake District. The weather was amazing apart from at the top! I put a few more on this thread here!

And competition for Duncan!!! Nice shot Ferj and welcome to the forum. Don't think I've seen a post on this thread from you before. One thing though - any chance you could make your watermark smaller? It's a nice shot - seems a shame to spoil the main part of the picture whith a massive name stamp ;)

Love these two. First for the composition and reflection of the ride that continues the straight line of the wall and curves it away to the right. The second for the POV, composition and movement :)

Now this just made me giggle. Since when have penguins started wearing Cod Pieces!? The brommies are deviant I tell you :LOL:

Thanks Martyn, that first one, I loved the combination of different reflections of the wheel, but what added that little extra something, was the guy leaning against the wall, looking oblivious to what was going on above his head. I would like to have got it with no other people in, but I couldn't actually feel my hands at that point, and waited for a few mins, but always someone around and I just knew he would walk away the minute the rest of the scene was person free :LOL:

As for the codpieces, I know what you mean, I had to look at it for a while to work out what they were meant to be :LOL:

some awesome shots appearing here still, keep them coming folks, really showing what this mint ickle camera can do :clap::clap:

Hmm... competition!!! :razz:

:wave: you lost me lol:thinking::thinking:

Waiting
8250215801_fb8af99d20_b.jpg

Manchester city centre

I love this camera so much, but i just ordered a xpro1 i hope this doesn't mean my x10 will get used less often :eek::eek:

WOW that view is amazing, photo is pretty dam good to ;)

WOW that view is amazing, photo is pretty dam good to ;)

:plus1:
Also worth checking out his linked thread with more piccies in it.
The first image in the other thread is my favourite from the set.

Souldeep - competition :thinking:
Nah - it's great to see someone else using the X10 'properly' apart from me and that Canadian chappie ;)

(Just in case you missed it, there's a ;) in there :))

Manchester city centre

I love this camera so much, but i just ordered a xpro1 i hope this doesn't mean my x10 will get used less often :eek::eek:

Oh my....
That's an image to be proud of...

As for the XPro1 - lucky lucky.....
I'm sure the X10 will get well used as the XPro1 is way too nice a bit of kit to actually be used and should just sit looking gorgeous on the mantelpiece - right? :thinking:

some awesome shots appearing here still, keep them coming folks, really showing what this mint ickle camera can do :clap::clap:

:wave: you lost me lol:thinking::thinking:

Waiting
8250215801_fb8af99d20_b.jpg

Manchester city centre

:clap: Great stuff!!!!!!!!!

Competition as in street - I don't really see many other people posting street style as consistently as you do. As you'll know it's one of my favourite areas of photography. Your pictures are very good - pushing me to do better ;)

:clap:

Something really calming and beautiful about the shot above!

Your PP is developing into something quite unique! You've sorted out the halo's and some of those shots are proper on the nail. I love your documentary style photography. That style is very close to my heart - I just don't have the command of the pen like you to make it as funny and interesting.

Thankee kindly sir - I'm pleased you like it!

I have to give a wry smile at my "unique" PP - it's not an effect that I am aiming for, but something I have to put up with until such time as I 'pull my finger out' and get down to learning to use 'layers' in Photoshop 6. At the moment I know what to do, but not how to do it! There is a certain appeal to the 'old painting' effect I seem to produce, but I would want to use it very sparingly.

I'm convinced your "pen" has helped more folk on this thread than ever mine could. Your photos stand alone - mine need a 'commentary' (or from the less generous, "BS" - bovine waste well-known for 'baffling brains') to be accepted or have any relevance on a forum presenting such high standards.

Pete

Last edited:
Great pictures as usual in this thread. I like nipping in every few days to see what's going on.

James

Last edited:
Thankee kindly sir - I'm pleased you like it!

I have to give a wry smile at my "unique" PP - it's not an effect that I am aiming for, but something I have to put up with until such time as I 'pull my finger out' and get down to learning to use 'layers' in Photoshop 6. At the moment I know what to do, but not how to do it! There is a certain appeal to the 'old painting' effect I seem to produce, but I would want to use it very sparingly.

I'm convinced your "pen" has helped more folk on this thread than ever mine could. Your photos stand alone - mine need a 'commentary' (or from the less generous, "BS" - bovine waste well-known for 'baffling brains') to be accepted or have any relevance on a forum presenting such high standards.

Pete

Nothing wrong with creating a unique style. It something most photographers only dream of achieving :)

I also wonder if it’s worth you setting up your own "blog" site. Think Lindsay's work. It would be a good exercise in inspiring you to take more photos providing an extension to the lifecycle for your photos.

So you have CS6. Here are the instructions to layer two exposures together.

Photo 1 – exposed for scenery – blown highlights in sky.
Photo 2 – exposed for sky – dark scenery but well exposed sky.

1) Open Photo 1 AND Photo 2 in CS6.
2) Click on Photo 1 (which selects this as the working image) and in the top menu edit choose the “select all” option. This will select the full image and you will see what looks like marching ants around the full image.
3) Again go to the edit menu and select “copy”
4) Now click on Photo 2 and this will become you working image.
5) Got to the edit menu and choose “paste as new layer”.
6) On the right hand side you’ll see a new layer in the layer pallet. To familiarise yourself with it click the eye icon on the top layer and you will see photo 1 disappear and photo 2 appear.
7) Click the eye again and photo 1 will appear. This will also make sure that layer is selected to work with (we want to erase the blown sky from photo 1)
8) Go to the tool palette usually located on the left hand side of CS6 and look for an eraser (rubber) icon.
9) Click on the eraser icon and the top menu bar will show some options, as icons, related to the eraser tool.
10) You’ll notice that in these icons there is a black circle. Click on that and select a diffused style circle (it looks softer on the edges).
11) Now going over the image you can press the mouse button and start erasing the blown sky. As you do so you’ll see the exposed sky from Photo 2 (the layer below) starting to appear.
12) Erase out the whole of the blown sky until you are happy with the result.
13) Now go to the file menu and choose to save the PSD file (this retains the layers and information so you can open it and edit it further in the future if you want).
14) Finally to save the image as something you can post on the web choose save as (a jpg or gif) and it will merge the two layers into one end result.

That’s about it. Post the results for us on this thread!

This isn’t the best way to get the cleanest end image results – but it’s the easiest way to start understanding how two layers work and how you can blend them together.

Disclaimer: I’ve just written this from memory over lunch so the menu options may be slightly different but what I’ve written should be enough to guide you to find the right menu options in CS6.

Hmm - so have you sold the X10 already OR changed you mind?

Hope you're not going to leave us :crying:

Hi Souldeep, I hadn't read the forum rules hence my modified posting. :nono:

I'll still be hanging around. I've really enjoyed reading this thread - great information here and superb pictures. Having rather enjoyed Fuji ownership (with both the X10 and X100 ). i don't think it'll be my last flirtation with the brand :D

James

...I also wonder if it’s worth you setting up your own "blog" site. Think Lindsay's work. It would be a good exercise in inspiring you to take more photos providing an extension to the lifecycle for your photos.

So you have CS6. Here are the instructions to layer two exposures together.

Photo 1 – exposed for scenery – blown highlights in sky.
Photo 2 – exposed for sky – dark scenery but well exposed sky...

...That’s about it. Post the results for us on this thread!

This isn’t the best way to get the cleanest end image results – but it’s the easiest way to start understanding how two layers work and how you can blend them together.

Disclaimer: I’ve just written this from memory over lunch so the menu options may be slightly different but what I’ve written should be enough to guide you to find the right menu options in CS6.

Many, many thanks Martyn for the time, effort, and care you've put into this reply - I hope it didn't spoil your lunch. What you write in great detail lines up with the general advice I've received from both Terry and Yvonne, and I've also obtained a sort of 'teach yourself' book on Photoshop Elements 6 (that's what I actually have - I'm guessing it represents a subset of the features available in CS6).

I attended a reunion last night - haven't felt quite myself all day today - when I can I shall follow your list to the letter; I'm sure it'll give me a 'handle' on things which the rather abstruse book doesn't: it's completely devoid of examples.

Given my temperament and sadly limited interest, I think a "blog" might be several steps too far, but thank you for thinking I might benefit from it! Actually, I'm amazed I've posted anything on this thread, and did so initially only to attract the criticism that's helped me learn from you generous types. I suspect that, in a rather selfish way, soon I shall sink back into the obscurity whence I came!

Pete

Time to lower the standard of image being posted into this thread....
Here's the X10 doing something else extremely well - social events!
Here's my office Christmas party :cautious:

There were no other cameras, everyone was using their phones with LED 'flashes'.
I think this is the way things are going.
Cameras are rapidly become the preserve of enthusiasts.

Given what I just said...
The only reason to carry a 'proper' camera is if you can do something different or better than a phone camera.
I was shooting in Stealth Mode (no flash or focus assist), and the light was a horrendous combination of both dim and contrasty; it was a struggle!
I started in RAW, but the blur of moving people and the image quality wasn't what I was hoping for.
So with nothing to lose, I flipped into Pro Low Light mode and was pleasantly surprised by the results. A few images were lost due to movement between the four separate shots, but astonishingly how few given most of the shots are candids with lots of movement in them.

Something I'm noticing changing is the attitude of people towards being photographed at social events.
5 years ago it was considered intrusive and only tolerated because they knew me. They bought me a "Paraprazzi" office mug for a reason!
However, now everyone seems to be constantly taking images of each other for Facebook etc and they are extremely tolerant of photography.
I'll go as far as saying that last night was noticeable because I didn't start the night with my camera out, and was actively encouraged by many people in the group to start taking pictures.
This is a very welcome trend! :clap:

Anyway, here's a few piccies!

Christmas Cheers!
i-pwHmsnV-M.jpg

From a technically point of view this shot is far from perfect, but that's not the point! :)
i-4pgWhhN-M.jpg

For me, candids should look like a there is a story behind the image.
i-9xTRt3K-M.jpg

Plenty of interaction going on in here!
i-c9hKDhP-M.jpg

This shows just how bad the light really was!
The X10 did marvellously.
i-DXhjQqC-M.jpg

I suspect the restaurant will be recognisable to someone who has been there, but I'll be astonished if anyone posts the right answer! :D

No idea of the place, Duncan, but that last one is an absolute cracker! Story, light, composition, DR, I love it!

Wherever it was it looks like all had a good time, Duncan are these strait out of the camera?

No idea of the place, Duncan, but that last one is an absolute cracker! Story, light, composition, DR, I love it!

Wherever it was it looks like all had a good time, Duncan are these strait out of the camera?

Cheers both!
Pretty much straight out the camera.
Some of them needed a boost to the mid tones (increase exposure and decrease highlights), but other than that....
X10 in Pro Low Light did really well and my fears about merging the four separate images with moving subjects proved largely unfounded.

As for the party - it was great....
But I was driving....
Duncan's South West taxi service strikes again :bonk:

+1 - the images here are sensational, I'm blown away by so many of them.

Yvonne - just seen your shots, they're terrific!

Thanks Lindsay (y)

Duncan, took mine to a networking coffee morning thing yesterday and it performed really well, though probably not quite as well as your restaurant shots, mainly because I was thinking and had it it the wrong settings really. No idea of the location, looks very nice though (y)

Given my temperament and sadly limited interest, I think a "blog" might be several steps too far, but thank you for thinking I might benefit from it! Actually, I'm amazed I've posted anything on this thread, and did so initially only to attract the criticism that's helped me learn from you generous types. I suspect that, in a rather selfish way, soon I shall sink back into the obscurity whence I came!

Pete

Pete, I have heard you mention this limited interest and temperament more then once... now SHUT UP! :LOL: :p

Seriously though, you keep coming back, so stop talking your self out of just enjoying the moment and seeing where it takes it you. It sounds like you have convinced yourself you will have 'dropped' the camera [metaphorically, not literally] soon anyway, so no point learning anything or having some fun. So what, even if you do, it doesn't really matter, just enjoy it while you can, keep posting, keep learning and dont worry about whether you will still want to next week - life is way too short for that (y)

Pete, I have heard you mention this limited interest and temperament more then once... now SHUT UP! :LOL: :p

Sorry miss - didn't mean to sound too sickeningly self-deprecating, but rather to 'paint the picture' specifically for Martyn, who, having generously devoted at least one lunch hour to my education, must not be too disappointed in what turns out to be an errant pupil.

I agree with your comments, and have thoroughly enjoyed my involvement with this thread and hope to continue to do so.

Pete

Prompted by Pete's recent post about a walk from Priddy, I decided to do an evening walk in the same area.
Crisp Winter air and a gorgeous sunset capped off by a pint at the Vic - perfect!
Here's a link to the full set http://www.wild-landscapes.co.uk/Blog/2012-12-08-Priddy-Walk/26982619_ppvW9T

1) There are some magnificent trees around Priddy, but you have to go looking for them.
20121208-142237-DSCF0003-XL.jpg

2) During periods of bad winter weather the Exmoor ponies come to Priddy. A few live here year round.
20121208-142844-DSCF0015-XL.jpg

3) A vertical pano
20121208-144214-DSCF0036-XL.jpg

4) This is Dark Wood, a rectangular copse with orderly rows of trees along the edges.
20121208-144538-DSCF0044-XL.jpg

5) Sheep on North Hill next to Nine Barrows
20121208-150434-DSCF0053-XL.jpg

6) Wooded marsh around the Mineries pool
20121208-151751-DSCF0062-XL.jpg

7) The Mineries pool in evening light
20121208-153057-DSCF0109-XL.jpg

8) Some texture in the Mineries landscape
20121208-153555-DSCF0127-XL.jpg

9) Path through the Mineries with reed beds on either side. This is one of the UK's top locations for photographing dragonflies.
20121208-153623-DSCF0130-XL.jpg

10) Sunset across the top of the Mendips
20121208-155312-DSCF0150-XL.jpg

11) Sunset viewed from the edge of the Mendips. The Somerset Levels are still flooded two weeks after the heavy rain that affected so much of the UK.
20121208-160448-DSCF0155-XL.jpg

12) Finally - a twilight shot of Glastonbury Tor from the edge of the Mendips. It's an 800ft drop down to the Somerset Levels and the view is always breathtaking!
20121208-160510-DSCF0156-XL.jpg

Apologies for such a long post!

7) 12) Finally - a twilight shot of Glastonbury Tor from the edge of the Mendips. It's an 800ft drop down to the Somerset Levels and the view is always breathtaking!
20121208-160510-DSCF0156-XL.jpg

Apologies for such a long post!

Lovely shot: dependent on where the photo was taken and without checking the map, it looks as though the village with the chimney might be Wookey Hole, or even Westbury-sub-Mendip, where John Lloyd used to have his airstrip on the site of the old railway line that curved to the right as you landed. Very scary, with the odd aircraft departing the runway into the scenery on its left.

Pete

Lovely shot: dependent on where the photo was taken and without checking the map, it looks as though the village with the chimney might be Wookey Hole, or even Westbury-sub-Mendip, where John Lloyd used to have his airstrip on the site of the old railway line that curved to the right as you landed. Very scary, with the odd aircraft departing the runway into the scenery on its left.

Pete

Cheers Pete!
Image was taken slightly SE from Higher Pitts Farm, where the route I described extending your walk across top of Ebbor Gorge meets the edge of the Mendips.
The chimney is St Cuthberts paper mill located between Wookey Hole and Wookey. It is located there to take advantage of the super clean water emerging from Wookey Hole. Their main product is fine art photographic paper.

Like you, I was interested in the amount of PP Duncan injected into his Pro Low-Light shots after my having previously written off the mode as superfluous following photos taken in the dark cloisters of Well Catherdral. Anyway after Yvonne's and Ducan's excellent recent postings, I decided to have another go, the opportunity arising at a carol concert in a Baptist church last night.

This first shot is straight out of the camera, benefiting from little lighting other than the Christmas tree, the candles, and the pianist's tiny lamp, well out of the frame to the right:

DSCF1225 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Although the auto colour temperature control inflicted upon one in this mode copes very well I think, the outcome is a litte too 'rosy' for my taste, and so I 'backed off' the red quite a bit:

Copy of DSCF1225 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Similarly with this one:

Copy of DSCF1227 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

When the normal 'houselights' came back on, I felt that no colour correction was necessary, but a touch more contrast improved things:

Copy of DSCF1240 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

These two chaps were very amusing, performing a Flanders and Swann number as a bit of light diversion. Again, only the contrast was turned up a shade:

Copy of DSCF1254 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

This shot is posted for no good reason other than the wonderful animation displayed by this lady:

DSCF1285 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

I reckon I shall be taking the Pro Low-Light mode a bit more seriously in the future.

Pete

Like you, I was interested in the amount of PP Duncan injected into his Pro Low-Light shots after my having previously written off the mode as superfluous following photos taken in the dark cloisters of Well Catherdral. Anyway after Yvonne's and Ducan's excellent recent postings, I decided to have another go, the opportunity arising at a carol concert in a Baptist church last night.

This first shot is straight out of the camera, benefiting from little lighting other than the Christmas tree, the candles, and the pianist's tiny lamp, well out of the frame to the right:

Although the auto colour temperature control inflicted upon one in this mode copes very well I think, the outcome is a litte too 'rosy' for my taste, and so I 'backed off' the red quite a bit:

Blimey - the atmosphere in the first image is wonderful.
The tones are bob on, and composition wise I don't think that could be improved.

However....
I prefer the rosy glow of the first image.
Candle light is very red, so IMHO that's OK. Also, calming it down has introduced an unhealthy green cast to the brickwork in the background.
The green cast is quite prominent in image 1227 and once noticed is hard to ignore.

I'm being picky though :D
Congratulations on getting such good images from what must have been challenging conditions.

Edited to add - instead of altering the red channel, try a hint of desaturation. Just enough to get the faces looking how you want them without looking overdone. This will avoid colour casts.

Last edited:
Well what about this for timing, two shutters fired at the same time, is this a dreaded “ORB“?
CAUGHT-IN-A-FLASH.jpg

Talk about film latitude.

Same chap chimping.

CHIMPING-TOG.jpg

Both in camera B+W, Levels and crop.

Last edited:
Well what about this for timing, two shutters fired at the same time, is this a dreaded “ORB“?

I don't think it is.... Orbs have hard edges.
It's massive overexposure and I'm pretty sure I'd get something similar happing if that shot had been taken with my 5DIII; admittedly the over exposed area would probably not be quite as big as the X10, but it would definitely be a lot bigger than the flashgun and not far from this size...
Anyone care to fire a flash into their DSLR to confirm this ?

Duncan I agree about the exposure. I only put it up because of the coincidence of the shutters being in sync. The original showed even more overexposure. I was amazed at how much had been captured. I was a bit worried the blast might have damaged the chip but it seems OK, the second pic was taken later.

I don't think it is.... Orbs have hard edges.
It's massive overexposure and I'm pretty sure I'd get something similar happing if that shot had been taken with my 5DIII; admittedly the over exposed area would probably not be quite as big as the X10, but it would definitely be a lot bigger than the flashgun and not far from this size...
Anyone care to fire a flash into their DSLR to confirm this ?

cant show it because long since deleted, but working on a wedding with a 2nd earlier this year, I caught their flash across the dance floor and I would say yes, underexposed area was relatively smaller [compared to camera/flash size] but still a huge white blob (y)

Back